Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So you want Apple to potentially make a terrible business decision just because it will make for good fodder on sites like this?

I think it might be a good business decision depending upon the pricing structure. If they can bump people up to spend a bit more and increase profit per unit, it might be good. And the forum fodder would be priceless. :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think it might be a good business decision depending upon the pricing structure. If they can bump people up to spend a bit more and increase profit per unit, it might be good. And the forum fodder would be priceless. :D

I'm not convince upsell would work in this case. In fact I could see it backfiring and people being pissed that Apple is forcing them to chose a screen size they don't want just to get the best hardware. Besides the larger screen size alone would allow Apple to change more (an iPad Air is more expensive than a retina mini). Doing this with the iPhone would essentially reverse the policy they put it place with iPads last year. Unless Apple is going to treat this rumored 5.5" device as a completely new product category and not call it an iPhone.

----------

You are assuming the 4.7" will somehow have a lackluster set of specs. If it is superior in every way to last year's model, what difference does it make if there's a larger more expensive version that has better specs than it?

I fail to see why this can happen in the PC industry, but its some huge slight against customers in the smartphone industry.

Again, if it came down to using older tech - I get it. But I'm talking about two different versions of an A8 - one thats geared for everyday use, the other is geared toward power users.

Do people get this upset and crazy when Samsung does the exact same thing? The Note series always has better specs than the Galaxy S series....that doesn't make the Galaxy S series any less of a flagship product.

You still haven't explained why a 5.5" device would need better speces than a 4.7" device. What function would require the 5.5" device to have a chip with a larger die or better camera or sapphire screen? That's just artificial differentiation.

The Galaxy Note and Galaxy S are completely different products released at different times of the year. I don't think the comparison is valid. Unless we find out Apple's 5.5" isn't coming out until the spring and will have pen support.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011

Why do the customers need to know or care about increase profit per unit?

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
You still haven't explained why a 5.5" device would need better speces than a 4.7" device. What function would require the 5.5" device to have a chip with a larger die or better camera or sapphire screen? That's just artificial differentiation.

Somehow I don't recall the Air's processor power advantage being an "artificial differentiation" even though the iPad Air doesn't need better specs than the Retina iPad Mini because they have the same resolution.

Apple doesn't advertise or try to upsell the performance difference and most people, even a lot of geeks, don't know the difference. Yet the Air still has a more powerful processor than the Retina Mini. Perhaps Apple simply decided to put a more powerful processor into the version with more thermal legroom and a bigger battery. This could apply to the new iPhones as well but at this point, it's all speculation.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm not convince upsell would work in this case. In fact I could see it backfiring and people being pissed that Apple is forcing them to chose a screen size they don't want just to get the best hardware. Besides the larger screen size alone would allow Apple to change more (an iPad Air is more expensive than a retina mini). Doing this with the iPhone would essentially reverse the policy they put it place with iPads last year. Unless Apple is going to treat this rumored 5.5" device as a completely new product category and not call it an iPhone.

What if it's not a big upsell, say a $50 or $75 dollar increase? People gladly paid the higher price for the 5S over the 5C, so maybe there is a chance they would do the same for the larger iPhone. I really don't see why they would have to offer the exact same specs on the two sizes, a 13" rMBP is cheaper and has lesser specs than the 15", this could be similar but on a smaller scale. If you want the most powerful MBP, you have to buy the 15", so why would it be so odd to the same with the phone? Same thing with the MBA, the 13" has lower specs than the 13" rMBP. I realize it would be something new for Apple to do as far as the iPhone, but who knows?

Why do the customers need to know or care about increase profit per unit?

Because we're talking about Apple customers, and from reading this forum for the past few years, it seems that the majority of people here put Apple's needs above their own. All that matters is Apple's profits. :D:D I say that only partially in jest. There is ample evidence that it is true for many here.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What if it's not a big upsell, say a $50 or $75 dollar increase? People gladly paid the higher price for the 5S over the 5C, so maybe there is a chance they would do the same for the larger iPhone. I really don't see why they would have to offer the exact same specs on the two sizes, a 13" rMBP is cheaper and has lesser specs than the 15", this could be similar but on a smaller scale. If you want the most powerful MBP, you have to buy the 15", so why would it be so odd to the same with the phone? Same thing with the MBA, the 13" has lower specs than the 13" rMBP. I realize it would be something new for Apple to do as far as the iPhone, but who knows?

Well I would assume with laptops or desktops "professionals" would gravitate towards a larger display so having the high end specs in those devices makes sense. i'm not sure it's the same in the phone space and it's not really the case with iPads.

----------

Somehow I don't recall the Air's processor power advantage being an "artificial differentiation" even though the iPad Air doesn't need better specs than the Retina iPad Mini because they have the same resolution.

Apple doesn't advertise or try to upsell the performance difference and most people, even a lot of geeks, don't know the difference. Yet the Air still has a more powerful processor than the Retina Mini. Perhaps Apple simply decided to put a more powerful processor into the version with more thermal legroom and a bigger battery. This could apply to the new iPhones as well but at this point, it's all speculation.

Do you have a real world example where the slightly more powerful processor in the Air is noticeable to average consumers? Maybe playing certain games you'd notice it but I can't imagine you would in most real world usage. I wouldn't call a slightly faster clocked CPU artificial differentiation (especially if it was for thermal reasons), but when we start talking about sapphire displays and better camera (like OIS for example) or even a completely different CPU then I think it does apply and it would be Apple saying premium is defined by screen size basically reversing what they did with iPads last year. Now if they're designing something completely new and different that won't be called iPhone, will have a different design and and won't be released at the same time as iPhone that's another story. But so far we don't have any rumors indicating that's the case.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
What we are missing is a RAM total. If it's 1 GB, not worth buying, simple as that.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011

Because we're talking about Apple customers, and from reading this forum for the past few years, it seems that the majority of people here put Apple's needs above their own. All that matters is Apple's profits. :D:D I say that only partially in jest. There is ample evidence that it is true for many here.

It makes no sense. I can see talking about Market share compared to other companies.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If Apple make their oversized phone more powerful* than their reasonably sized phone I will be disappointed. it's a slap in the face to us folk who want proper sized iPhones.

* Powerful as in real world user feels and not raw specs. As the larger screen would probably need more power to run.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I doubt this. Why would Apple make two types of 'iPhone' under the same brand.

5s, 5c. And they are even the same size!

----------

Another over priced apple product, hurry up the line is starting

what?? Apple products have a value preservation like no other.
But if you like to get dazzled by retail prices, go buy an Android phone and watch it´s value decline from month to month.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I smell a 6S 6C in the works..... 5.5 sounds awesome if it'll have better specs but it can't fit it my pants though.... Specs vs Comfortability

I think that 5s will be next 6c ( as seen with iP5 and 5c)
beside new 6 - 4,7 and 6 - 5,5 .
I'm curious to see
1.prices ( with 5,5 over the roof )
2.with a 5,5 display the mini retina..is still..needed or this will enhance the Ipad Air market? I mean the 5,5 UI will share some similarities with iPad Ui or not..
That being said i really really hope to see 2GB at least coming ,in 6-5,5 and new iPads ( mini 3 and Air2 )at least ,this with some kind of side by side multitasking on the iPad^^.
we'll see:rolleyes:

Last edited:

HarryT

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
5s, 5c. And they are even the same size!

----------
Think about it. 5C is just the iPhone5 inside. They already know how to perfect the production of that.

Why would they go to the trouble of doubling production, hardware & software testing to do 2 sets of chips for two iPhones. Previous they have simply used their massive investment into production facilities to do a cheaper modal the year after.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Besides two different processors, Arcuri also believes the two iPhone 6 models may ship with different touch modules, with TPK as the likely manufacturer.

Hum, does this hint at a stylus?
What else would necessitate a different 'touch module'?

Does TPK produce a wacom-ish digitizer?

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
If Apple make their oversized phone more powerful* than their reasonably sized phone I will be disappointed. it's a slap in the face to us folk who want proper sized iPhones.

You assume that a "proper sized" iPhone is less than 5" but the market indicates otherwise: today a premium smartphone's "proper" size is clearly 5" or larger.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
5.5-Inch iPhone 6's A8 Processor May Be More Powerful Than in 4.7-Inch Model

no there's not, but you know that. Remember what i said about your posts being boring lol. Stop saying things with zero proof.

:D :D

Last edited:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
The rumors are clear they plan to add some

My question is how many are they going to keep???

(And how hard are they going to make it on developers with multiple screen sizes?)

Gary

I think you should have italicized 'rumors', but at this point I believe that 4.7 and 5.5 are true. I think they will drop the 4 series. That means developers lose one screen size (Resolution) but they only gain one as the rumors state the 4.7 and 5.5 will be the same resolution or at the very least the same aspect. So developers can choose to stop supporting 4's for future releases.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You assume that a "proper sized" iPhone is less than 5" but the market indicates otherwise: today a premium smartphone's "proper" size is clearly 5" or larger.

I would current iPhone sales say otherwise. The best selling phones on the market are not 5.5".

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
I would current iPhone sales say otherwise. The best selling phones on the market are not 5.5".

Current iPhone sales say nothing, since there is no choice in size.

Hopefully the 4.7" is just a 5C in a bigger shell for really cheap.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014

The iphone sells despite being small. Proof of that is that android chunky expensive phones sell well when their main point is having a big screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.