Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You still haven't explained why a 5.5" device would need better speces than a 4.7" device. What function would require the 5.5" device to have a chip with a larger die or better camera or sapphire screen? That's just artificial differentiation.

The Galaxy Note and Galaxy S are completely different products released at different times of the year. I don't think the comparison is valid. Unless we find out Apple's 5.5" isn't coming out until the spring and will have pen support.

We don't know ANYTHING for sure about the 5.5" device....or the 4.7" device for that matter. Anything you or I or anyone here says is pure conjecture and speculation.

Comparing it to the Note/Galaxy S makes as much sense as anything because that is the direct smartphone flagship vs phablet comparison.

Why does a 15" MBP have/need more power than a 13" MBP? Honestly, how different are the Note and Galaxy S devices, really? The Note has S-Pen support....what else causes it to NEED more power.

You won't be able to convince me you and others aren't being absolutely ridiculous about this. Again - putting an A7 in the 4.7" device while the 5.5" gets an A8? That would be something to complain about. But to whine and moan about not "getting the latest at $199" because the 5.5" (which will cost more) has a different variant of A8 is entitlement consumerism at its finest.

Apple has set a bar for the $199 flagship device. People assume this is the "best" of Apple because there are no other options. Why should they be limited by some arbitrary ceiling consumers have put on them? If they want to release a larger more powerful device that costs more money, why shouldn't they be able to?

Someone else already mentioned this - if the 5.5" never materializes and the 4.7" brings all the normal improvements, people will drool and ooh and ahh. But take that same 4.7" device and add in a 5.5" with a more powerful processor (and potentially some other improvements) and people lose their minds?

Do you really not see how ridiculous that is?

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
That apple users put apple's needs in front of their own? Nope haven't seen those threads. Have an example?

And here I thought you were kidding!

I mean the threads about Apple making a large profit. And people bragging about how much money they make, and worrying when the margins dip a few points. And the blind defense about Apple making money and criticizing other companies for being greedy. There is lots of that here.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I mean the threads about Apple making a large profit. And people bragging about how much money they make, and worrying when the margins dip a few points. And the blind defense about Apple making money and criticizing other companies for being greedy. There is lots of that here.

Oh ok well yeah...guess you just worded it the other way to make it seem remarkable.

Truth is the same thing happens every where. There's ample evidence that android users cheer googles stock and profits too.

There's a lot of that here too. There's no evidence that people put apple's needs in front of their own but you've clarified you were being purposely hyperbolic.
No offense, I just call out people who say untruths here. If you look at my post history you'll see I do it as much as you do what you do. When you're online you have no choice to take words at face value, but admittedly my sarcasm meter doesnt work sometimes

It's fun for me when people start backtracking. You're not the first, nor the last lol. Cheers!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

What!? Irrational posts on the internet? It can't be.....

;)

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
I wouldn't call a slightly faster clocked CPU artificial differentiation (especially if it was for thermal reasons)

Apple could've easily used the same clockspeed for the Air and kept the performance difference nil. The article speculates it'll likely to be the clockspeed that'll be difference, the exactly same thing Apple did for the Air and the Mini. If you don't think that's an artificial differentiation, this one isn't either.

but when we start talking about sapphire displays and better camera (like OIS for example) or even a completely different CPU then I think it does apply and it would be Apple saying premium is defined by screen size basically reversing what they did with iPads last year.

For OIS, there's a very simple reason for that though. There isn't enough capacity of OIS modules to meet Apple's demand. This is why even Samsung couldn't get OIS into any of the high end Galaxy phones so far while the smaller players like LG, HTC and Nokia have OIS. The same thing goes for sapphire.

So Apple has two choices. They either could hold off the OIS and sapphire until they have enough capacity just so that the 4.7" and the 5.5" have the same features, or they could use the 5.5" model first as the showcase. Some will prefer the first to feel better about their 4.7" purchase while some others will prefer the latter to feel better about their 5.5" purchase, which are both understandable from the emotional point of view but not sure if that's in the best interest of Apple but maybe I'm wrong.

Personally I don't think I'll buy the big one but still wouldn't mind to see Apple putting the new features into the 5.5".

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Oh ok well yeah...guess you just worded it the other way to make it seem remarkable.

Truth is the same thing happens every where. There's ample evidence that android users cheer googles stock and profits too.

There's a lot of that here too. There's no evidence that people put apple's needs in front of their own but you've clarified you were being purposely hyperbolic.
No offense, I just call out people who say untruths here. If you look at my post history you'll see I do it as much as you do what you do. When you're online you have no choice to take words at face value, but admittedly my sarcasm meter doesnt work sometimes

It's fun for me when people start backtracking. You're not the first, nor the last lol. Cheers!

I'm just explaining a post that was made partially in jest. I find it quite amusing at times how people get so defensive about any criticism or joking where Apple is concerned. But that's what makes this place fun.

----------

What!? Irrational posts on the internet? It can't be.....

;)

Don't tell me that everything on the internet isn't true. :eek:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm just explaining a post that was made partially in jest. I find it quite amusing at times how people get so defensive about any criticism or joking where Apple is concerned. But that's what makes this place fun.

----------

Don't tell me that everything on the internet isn't true. :eek:

Only the things that have "jrswizzle" to the left of them. You can ALWAYS believe what that guy says ;)

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014

Oh absolutely I think its funny too when people (android and ios) act that way.

Like I said, I thought you were kidding at first, then you insisted so that's when I called you out. I understand now it was in jest as I initially assumed. No harm no foul!

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
I would current iPhone sales say otherwise. The best selling phones on the market are not 5.5".

The best selling premium smartphones are all larger than 5", with the iPhone as the sole exception. Market trends show the interest in larger smartphones to be ever increasing.

I'm not a fan of large smartphones either and will most likely buy the 4.7" iPhone model even despite slightly lower specs. This doesn't mean I'm blind about where the premium smartphones market is and seems to be heading in the future.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Apple doesn't try to match Samsung or any android pricing. I guarantee the 5.5" will NOT be $199. If all that matters to a person is specs then they will not chose Apple.

Right, and that is the issue.

If they are entering the larger screen arena, then you need to be priced competively.

Will be interesting to see the price breaks.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Right, and that is the issue.

If they are entering the larger screen arena, then you need to be priced competively.

Will be interesting to see the price breaks.

The 5.5" will come in at $299, just like the Note Series....

Apple has never needed to be "competitive" price-wise with Android OEMs. Only the few who actually make high-end handsets (HTC, LG, Sony, Samsung) are in this price range and they all fall in that $199-$299 starting point.

My guess, we see a 4.7" iPhone Air priced at $199/$249/$299 for 16/32/64 and a 5.5" iPhone Pro priced at $299/$349/$399 for 16/32/64.

I'm on the kick that Apple will lower the price for increased storage as opposed to increasing the baseline. Really wouldn't affect their margins a whole lot and the difference could be made up by consumers purchasing a 32GB or 64GB when they would normally get a 16GB or 32GB.

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
The 5.5" will come in at $299, just like the Note Series....

Apple has never needed to be "competitive" price-wise with Android OEMs. Only the few who actually make high-end handsets (HTC, LG, Sony, Samsung) are in this price range and they all fall in that $199-$299 starting point.

My guess, we see a 4.7" iPhone Air priced at $199/$249/$299 for 16/32/64 and a 5.5" iPhone Pro priced at $299/$349/$399 for 16/32/64.

I'm on the kick that Apple will lower the price for increased storage as opposed to increasing the baseline. Really wouldn't affect their margins a whole lot and the difference could be made up by consumers purchasing a 32GB or 64GB when they would normally get a 16GB or 32GB.

You are quoting prices as part of a contract?

If not i would it find very hard to believe Apple would offer the iPhone 6 at the mentioned prices; I would see the prices easily doubled

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You are quoting prices as part of a contract?

If not i would it find very hard to believe Apple would offer the iPhone 6 at the mentioned prices; I would see the prices easily doubled

Yes, those would be the contract prices. Or, off-contract:

iPhone Air: $649/$699/$749
iPhone Pro: $749/$799/$849

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Awesome, then I should have no trouble picking up a 5.5" iPhone 6 on day 1!

They are probably going to have production issues again as every year, but I'm sure they are going to produce more than one.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You assume that a "proper sized" iPhone is less than 5" but the market indicates otherwise: today a premium smartphone's "proper" size is clearly 5" or larger.

The market (ie the masses) as you say always want this or that. Apple does not cater towards these masses. It makes products, tells us why we should be needing them, then everyone goes out and buys. The masses wanted netbooks but Apple didn't fall into the netbook "me too" trap. But Apple is falling into the oversized phone "me too" trap. Everyone else is making an oversized phone so Apple is doing a "me too" and making one supposedly.

We will agree to disagree about what the proper size is.

----------

Awesome, then I should have no trouble picking up a 5.5" iPhone 6 on day 1!
Only if you use both hands. If you don't have large hands, doing it one handed will be tough.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
The market (ie the masses) as you say always want this or that. Apple does not cater towards these masses. It makes products, tells us why we should be needing them, then everyone goes out and buys. The masses wanted netbooks but Apple didn't fall into the netbook "me too" trap. But Apple is falling into the oversized phone "me too" trap. Everyone else is making an oversized phone so Apple is doing a "me too" and making one supposedly.

The fact that Apple was right in their decision about notebooks doesn't mean they can't be wrong with their decision in sticking with a smaller smartphone size.

Apple is surely not doing a "me too", I think they tried in every way to avoid a new form factor, but ultimately realized that premium buyers are trending toward the larger form factor anyway.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
We don't know ANYTHING for sure about the 5.5" device....or the 4.7" device for that matter. Anything you or I or anyone here says is pure conjecture and speculation.

Comparing it to the Note/Galaxy S makes as much sense as anything because that is the direct smartphone flagship vs phablet comparison.

Why does a 15" MBP have/need more power than a 13" MBP? Honestly, how different are the Note and Galaxy S devices, really? The Note has S-Pen support....what else causes it to NEED more power.

You won't be able to convince me you and others aren't being absolutely ridiculous about this. Again - putting an A7 in the 4.7" device while the 5.5" gets an A8? That would be something to complain about. But to whine and moan about not "getting the latest at $199" because the 5.5" (which will cost more) has a different variant of A8 is entitlement consumerism at its finest.

Apple has set a bar for the $199 flagship device. People assume this is the "best" of Apple because there are no other options. Why should they be limited by some arbitrary ceiling consumers have put on them? If they want to release a larger more powerful device that costs more money, why shouldn't they be able to?

Someone else already mentioned this - if the 5.5" never materializes and the 4.7" brings all the normal improvements, people will drool and ooh and ahh. But take that same 4.7" device and add in a 5.5" with a more powerful processor (and potentially some other improvements) and people lose their minds?

Do you really not see how ridiculous that is?

No it's not ridiculous. I don't want a phablet but I would like the best camera and sapphire display (assuming that's coming to iPhone). I thought with the iPads last year Apple signaled the only thing you have to care about is screen size and price (memory). I'd be disappointed if they reversed that this year with iPhone. I'm convinced that most people want the best camera and best display but I'm not convince most people want a phablet.

----------

The best selling premium smartphones are all larger than 5", with the iPhone as the sole exception. Market trends show the interest in larger smartphones to be ever increasing.

I'm not a fan of large smartphones either and will most likely buy the 4.7" iPhone model even despite slightly lower specs. This doesn't mean I'm blind about where the premium smartphones market is and seems to be heading in the future.

What's your source for this? We could argue people afe buying 4" iPhones DESPITE the smaller size. Couldn't we also argue the same only in reverse for Android? I've heard a lot of people say the Moto X was a perfect size for them. I'd love to see some hard data that most smartphone buyers want screens over 5".

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No it's not ridiculous. I don't want a phablet but I would like the best camera and sapphire display (assuming that's coming to iPhone). I thought with the iPads last year Apple signaled the only thing you have to care about is screen size and price (memory). I'd be disappointed if they reversed that this year with iPhone. I'm convinced that most people want the best camera and best display but I'm not convince most people want a phablet.

So if Apple puts a 13MP shooter in the 4.7" and a 20MP shooter in the 5.5" you'll be upset?

You know better sensors and cameras exist outside of what's in the 5S....

I always kinda found it a little odd the only difference between the Air and Mini was the screen size....seems like you don't really get $100 worth of difference.

But you know what - we have no idea what's going to happen. No point in continuing to argue over something that doesn't even exist yet.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
I'm now thinking...

• The 5C will be a repackaged 5S (with Touch ID), but also available in a wider range of colours, but this might also be repackaged as the iPhone Mini.
  • The 4.7" will be the iPhone Air.
  • The larger 5.5" iPhone will be the iPhone Pro.

i agree with this.....

the pricing is the interesting part...

I'm going with 5.5 32 GB at 399 and moving up from there.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I still don't think there's a 5.5 this year. 4.7 iPhone 6, 5s with plastic becomes the 6c. Not like apple to move so aggressively. They take their time changing size

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
What's your source for this? We could argue people afe buying 4" iPhones DESPITE the smaller size. Couldn't we also argue the same only in reverse for Android? I've heard a lot of people say the Moto X was a perfect size for them. I'd love to see some hard data that most smartphone buyers want screens over 5".

Not sure about their reasons, but it doesn't change the fact that premium buyers seem to be trending towards large screen smartphones.
About sources, I previously linked this article which details some statistics and trends up to Q1 2014.

davidalxndr

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Bs

This is complete BS i mean why do i have to be forced to buy a 5.5 inch phablet just to be able to get the top of the line iphone, i have been using a GS4 for the past year and a half and that's too big for me i want the 4.7 inch one to be as good as the other one, the only thing people should worry about if infact they do make a 5/5 inch one is the screen size other than that they should be the exact same phone

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
They are probably going to have production issues again as every year, but I'm sure they are going to produce more than one.

I'm just hoping they're released at the same time. I'll preorder early if I have to. I don't mind getting to the Apple store super early in the morning on launch day to get one either if supplies are tight. If the 5.5" iPhone 6 is real, I'll be leaving Android no question.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The fact that Apple was right in their decision about notebooks doesn't mean they can't be wrong with their decision in sticking with a smaller smartphone size.

Apple is surely not doing a "me too", I think they tried in every way to avoid a new form factor, but ultimately realized that premium buyers are trending toward the larger form factor anyway.

If Apple was not doing a me too, there'd be no larger phone rumours. But there is. And the whole phone size thing, Apple will make profits from the larger sized phones. That's almost a guarantee. The catch is at what cost. Trading off your ideals and what makes Apple, the Apple it is today (ie striving for the best products and not just catering to the masses demands), is that a cost Apple is willing to pay? I think Apple is willing to pay it. if I was TC I could not pay that cost. But I'm not TC and it probably will happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.