Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It doesn't have to be "the flagship" just because its faster and has better specs.

Is the Note line the flagship of Samsung's fleet? No....that would be the Galaxy S series.

My guess is we see a bit more differentiation between the "Mini" and "Air" versions in both the iPad and in the iPhone.

Regardless, I hope they do make it the flagship model. And if it does have better specs and performance it will drive people here crazy.:D that could provide months of entertainment.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Hahah Apple is telling their customers what they want you to purchase! sad but true. Kinda forcing people to purchase the 5.5 inside of the 4.7.

You are ridiculously dense.

Apple is giving users MORE choice....not choosing for them. If you want a 5.5" device that's got more power, go for it. You only want a 4.7" device still with the latest internals, you can choose that too for less money.

Heck, you don't really need all that power and like the 4" size? Go for the iPhone mini - its even CHEAPER!

And all these devices are faster than any app out there....

----------

Regardless, I hope they do make it the flagship model. And if it does have better specs and performance it will drive people here crazy.:D that could provide months of entertainment.

People are idiots....

It doesn't take an advanced degree to see that the smartphone industry is maturing and becoming the PC industry. Various sizes, specs and price points.

Having an iPhone mini, Air, Pro is no different than a Macbook Air, Pro or iPad mini, Air, Pro.

More money = better internals. Not everyone needs that. I'm so glad I got out of retail....the amount of entitlement most consumers have is repulsive. As if these companies OWE them something...

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Blah. Most people (not most people here) barely scratch the surface of what their iPhone can do. I don't understand the "now I have to buy a phablet to get a fast device" nonsense.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I doubt this. Why would Apple make two types of 'iPhone' under the same brand.

Probably for the same reason they make multiple MBA, MBP's and the desktops. More so in a cell phone slight changes in size leads to significant increases in battery capacity. So if you have more energy why not put it to work.

Beyond that we don't know what the feature set in the large cell phone will be. They may need special hardware in the A8 chip. Another possibility is that they want to support wider paths to RAM & flash which would help performance a lot.

Beyond all of that it has been rumored for years that Apple had split "A" series development into two teams. One to pursue very low power devices for cell phones and another to build high performance tablet and laptop chips. I actually thought it was odd that the iPhone and tablets got the same chip last year. That may have been done to facilitate the 64 bit transistion. 64 bit is a done thing now so I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple start hatching multiple processors each year. That is "X" versions to go along with the base design. Frankly they may have no choice here because if Intel every ships its Broadwell tablet chips at the power level promised Apple will need a much higher performance "A" chip in its tablets.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'm wondering if this report is true, but negligibly true like the 100mhz (imo moot) distinction between iPad Air and rMini.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Blah. Most people (not most people here) barely scratch the surface of what their iPhone can do. I don't understand the "now I have to buy a phablet to get a fast device" nonsense.

Seriously....

I went on a bit of a rant and got a little red in the face. But sometimes the posts and things here get me really frustrated with the human race :p

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Sorry, I thought Apple users were never interested in "specs"

It's all about the User Experience isn't it ?[/QUOTE]

You thought wrong. :)

User experience does trumps specs, but of course specs make a difference when the user experience is the same.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I hope that they don't do something like this. 4.7 is big enough for me (5.5 is way too big), but I do want the fasted processor so it can last me three years.

Everybodies performanc expectations differ, I'm still running on an iPhone 4 and would keep, it if I could get an update to iOS 8. On my iPad I would absolutely love a much much faster and more capable machine. Given that any 64 bit IOS device will have a long life.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Ok lets do a roundup of the rumors on differences between the 4.7 & 5.5":

Different processors
Different touch module
Different glass material
Different camera lens system

If all these turn out to be true, it will be a stretch to call both the iphone 6!

One might even turn up to be a new retina mini ipad.

Personally I cant see apple launching multiple iphone 6

----------

It's all about the User Experience isn't it ?

You thought wrong. :)

User experience does trumps specs, but of course specs make a difference when the user experience is the same.[/QUOTE]

Actually with Apple products, the spec are comparable or better at launch. By the end of life, they are a joke compared to the competition and asking price.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
It'll be interesting to see how many "DONT WANT A PHONE BIGGER THAN 4 INCHES", end up getting the 5.5" because they think it will be the more "elite" model.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'm now thinking...

• The 5C will be a repackaged 5S (with Touch ID), but also available in a wider range of colours, but this might also be repackaged as the iPhone Mini.
  • The 4.7" will be the iPhone Air.
  • The larger 5.5" iPhone will be the iPhone Pro.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Why? You pay more to get a larger 15" MBP that's more powerful than a 13" MBP or MBA.....

As long as the 4.7" iPhone 6 isn't running an A7 or anything, what's the problem with two iPhones sized differently and running different versions of Apple's 2014 processor?

It's like these devices in our hands aren't computers....

This. If a 5.5 didnt exist then would people still bi*** about the specs? NOPE. People would rant and rave about how awesome the phone is and thats because the phone will still be extraordinary, no matter what people say. Because thats just what Apple does. Time and Time again, iPhone continues to stretch the realm of cell phone usage.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

So you want Apple to potentially make a terrible business decision just because it will make for good fodder on sites like this?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
iPhone Mini and iPhone air sound ridiculous. Just call it an iPhone and ask what size you want. Far simpler.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You are ridiculously dense.

Apple is giving users MORE choice....not choosing for them. If you want a 5.5" device that's got more power, go for it. You only want a 4.7" device still with the latest internals, you can choose that too for less money.

Heck, you don't really need all that power and like the 4" size? Go for the iPhone mini - its even CHEAPER!

And all these devices are faster than any app out there....

----------

People are idiots....

It doesn't take an advanced degree to see that the smartphone industry is maturing and becoming the PC industry. Various sizes, specs and price points.

Having an iPhone mini, Air, Pro is no different than a Macbook Air, Pro or iPad mini, Air, Pro.

More money = better internals. Not everyone needs that. I'm so glad I got out of retail....the amount of entitlement most consumers have is repulsive. As if these companies OWE them something...

The differences between the iPad Air and retina mini are negligible. Basically the only choice you're making is screen size, or maybe choosing the retina mini if price is an issue. You can't compare desktops and laptops to phones. What would a so-called "iPhone Pro" do that an "iPhone Air" wouldn't? Have a better camera or sapphire screen? What does screen size have to so with any of that?

My issue is around arbitrarily making a 4.7" device less premium because someone decided 5.5" screen size needs to be the flagship device. It's not about one devices CPU being clocked slightly faster than the other. It's about adding sapphire screen or better camera or completely different chip to the bigger phone just because. Just to create differentiation when the screen size should be the differentiator. What if I want the best camera and a sapphire screen but don't want a phablet. Sorry I'm out of luck and should be happy with whatever the smaller version has? No thanks. If Apple does that then they're getting one less sale from me.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The differences between the iPad Air and retina mini are negligible. Basically the only choice you're making is screen size, or maybe choosing the retina mini if price is an issue. You can't compare desktops and laptops to phones. What would a so-called "iPhone Pro" do that an "iPhone Air" wouldn't? Have a better camera or sapphire screen? What does screen size have to so with any of that?

My issue is around arbitrarily making a 4.7" device less premium because someone decided 5.5" screen size needs to be the flagship device. It's not about one devices CPU being clocked slightly faster than the other. It's about adding sapphire screen or better camera or completely different chip to the bigger phone just because. Just to create differentiation when the screen size should be the differentiator. What if I want the best camera and a sapphire screen but don't want a phablet. Sorry I'm out of luck and should be happy with whatever the smaller version has? No thanks. If Apple does that then they're getting one less sale from me.

You are assuming the 4.7" will somehow have a lackluster set of specs. If it is superior in every way to last year's model, what difference does it make if there's a larger more expensive version that has better specs than it?

I fail to see why this can happen in the PC industry, but its some huge slight against customers in the smartphone industry.

Again, if it came down to using older tech - I get it. But I'm talking about two different versions of an A8 - one thats geared for everyday use, the other is geared toward power users.

Do people get this upset and crazy when Samsung does the exact same thing? The Note series always has better specs than the Galaxy S series....that doesn't make the Galaxy S series any less of a flagship product.

A. Dumbledore

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
This sucks. For years Apple opposes large phones for being too big, and now they make it their flagship phone? The two phones should only be differentiated by their screen size, so the consumer can choose what size they prefer.

Allegedly.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This. If a 5.5 didnt exist then would people still bi*** about the specs? NOPE. People would rant and rave about how awesome the phone is and thats because the phone will still be extraordinary, no matter what people say. Because thats just what Apple does. Time and Time again, iPhone continues to stretch the realm of cell phone usage.

Haha it cracks me up....that somehow what we've had up to this point was the very fastest Apple could come up with.

Hate to break it to everyone, every iPhone is tuned for optimal performance based on price point and target margin. Future devices will be the same - and if they can get more in a 5.5" device for $100 more, they will.

Again, that doesn't make the 4.7" device any less premium or good. Just as my Macbook Air isn't somehow a worthless POS just because the rMBP exists.

Its a completely idiotic argument.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I can see a small increase in clock speed, but a different die is much harder to imagine. There is so much to gained by using the same chip in different products I don't see why Apple would give up that advantage.

It is also hard to imagine Apple adding such a radically different function to the larger phone that it requires a different chip.

Maybe the larger phone is getting the larger version of the A8 because of supply constraints on smaller line width versions? Even that is hard to believe.

Maybe it is just a larger package with the same die?

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
The 5.5" sounds more enticing each time it's specs are mentioned. Hopefully it feels good in the hand and not too big. That's if it comes to exist. I won't be buying straight away so I can get current contract down a bit more.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Ok lets do a roundup of the rumors on differences between the 4.7 & 5.5":

Different processors
Different touch module
Different glass material
Different camera lens system

If all these turn out to be true, it will be a stretch to call both the iphone 6!

To me it seems like the 5.5 screen will be the 6C, wrapped in plastic and using all the cheaper production processes that the size allows.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Sometimes I wonder how many completely bull-sheet rumours Apple themselves leak to the "analysts" to simultaneously confuse everyone, and discredit those analysts once the final product is released?

It would definitely be an effective strategy to have competing and conflicting rumours everywhere. Certainly easier to do that than stop the leaks happening in the first place.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Will be interesting to see how the apple crowd handles their iPhone no longer being "the iPhone" for a whole year. I think the added speed will be used to push the higher resolution display if it does turn out to be different than the smaller version. Wonder if this and the rumored better camera will be something the 5.5" iPhone 6 have over the smaller version to try and get users to buy the larger most likely more expensive version.

----------

I can see a small increase in clock speed, but a different die is much harder to imagine. There is so much to gained by using the same chip in different products I don't see why Apple would give up that advantage.

It is also hard to imagine Apple adding such a radically different function to the larger phone that it requires a different chip.

Maybe the larger phone is getting the larger version of the A8 because of supply constraints on smaller line width versions? Even that is hard to believe.

Maybe it is just a larger package with the same die?

Well from the article if it is like the iPad and iPad mini, it wouldn't be that radical of a difference between the two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.