Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Be prepared to shell out top dollar for AAA games.
Microsoft games like Starfield will cost $70 starting next year

Microsoft has become the latest big-name publisher to jump to a $70 asking price for the launch of big-budget games. The company said in a statement to IGN that the new pricing will start in 2023 for games built for the Xbox Series X/S and will include titles like Starfield, Redfall, and the next Forza Motorsport.

While I'm eagerly waiting for Starfield. I'm not willing to pay 70 dollars. If I wait and at some point they'll be discounting them.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
The only Microsoft game that I’m tempted by is “Psychonauts 2”, because its art style is very trippy, and because it’s coming to the Mac.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I seem to remember paying $30-50 for popular games as a kid in the 90s - seems like $70 is actually not a terrible deal when accounting for 30 years of inflation. Hopefully the game developers are seeing some of that increase - as I understand they're pretty underpaid for the work they do.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Rather tired of the AAA game model these days, launching broken games that take months if not years to fix, if at all with little focus on storytelling & gameplay.

Was keenly following the Calisto Protocol, was immediately suspicious due to the stringent review embargo & big media push towards release. What a surprise seems to be yet another broken mess that we the customer are expected to shell out for :mad: After the Cyberpunk 2077 debacle I no longer pre-order, if spending my $$$ I want to be sure of getting value for it.

These days I purchase my games from GOG, don't need to use their launcher if I don't want and can DL offline installers. I'd rather play a game from a decade ago if not two that was crafted by people that care not faceless companies purely seeking profit.

While I get the cost of game development is increasing, the quality is equally diminishing anyway off to play the OG and hopefully the remake won't be a ****up...
Y2UuanBn

Q-6

jonasen

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
I seem to remember paying $30-50 for popular games as a kid in the 90s - seems like $70 is actually not a terrible deal when accounting for 30 years of inflation. Hopefully the game developers are seeing some of that increase - as I understand they're pretty underpaid for the work they do.
Yes, considering what you get it's a bargain as a buyer. Though as a lot of other things it also boils down to a lot of other expenses you didn't have in the 90s. Spotify/Apple Music/Netflix/Disney+ subscriptions etc.

But $70 is not a steal in any sense.

Reactions: Lcgiv and Antes

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yes, considering what you get it's a bargain as a buyer. Though as a lot of other things it also boils down to a lot of other expenses you didn't have in the 90s. Spotify/Apple Music/Netflix/Disney+ subscriptions etc.

But $70 is not a steal in any sense.
SNES games hit 80 bucks at one point. NeoGeo games were super expensive. PC games have always been relatively cheap though.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Rather tired of the AAA game model these days, launching broken games that take months if not years to fix, if at all with little focus on storytelling & gameplay.
Exactly! Even the new Pokémon which I have a VERY low bar to enjoy it, it was just a disaster. I’m glad I tried it before buying it. And it looked WORSE than Sword/Shield! The switch is getting too old. College coding classes produce better polished games sometimes!

I’d rather play Pokémon Red over the new title.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
That is what GamePass is for...
Yes, and no.

I was a subscriber and I have since cancelled.
The positives is that you get to play on the PC and xBox for 15 dollars a month. That's a great benefit, not question.
The cons: The annual cost 180 dollars (for the highest tier) and if you don't play many games its a waste of money. Probably the bigger issue is you don't own the game.

I'm a casual gamer, and after looking what I play, what I buy, the cost of the subcription just didn't make sense, YMMV but for my needs the sub was a waste.

I'm of the opinion is part of the high price, is a non-too subtle move by MS to entice people onto the sub. I'm sure there are more people who pay for the sub that barely use it, then people who do - just from my perspective.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
No question and I think if Bethesda rolls out a buggy game next year, it will be very bad for them. Even now with Fallout 76, each update breaks something, or undoes a previously fixed issue. They release new content for players to buy, but the cosmetic is set up backwards, or the door that you buy for your camp, has the closing sound going for longer then then animation. The game has been out since 2018 and Bethesda still is unable to rollout an update cleanly.

• Love
Reactions: Lcgiv and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yes, and no.

The positives is that you get to play on the PC and xBox for 15 dollars a month. That's a great benefit, not question.
The cons: The annual cost 180 dollars (for the highest tier) and if you don't play many games its a waste of money. Probably the bigger issue is you don't own the game.

I'm a casual gamer, and after looking what I play, what I buy, the cost of the subcription just didn't make sense, YMMV but for my needs the sub was a waste.

I'm of the opinion is part of the high price, is a non-too subtle move by MS to entice people onto the sub. I'm sure there are more people who pay for the sub that barely use it, then people who do - just from my perspective.
I don't do rental, if I spend, I expect something in my hand for it simple as that...

Q-6

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yes, and no.

I don't think it is purposefully pushing folks to GP, since MS seems to be the last major publisher to "embrace" the price increase this gen.

Queen6

macrumors G4
No question and I think if Bethesda rolls out a buggy game next year, it will be very bad for them. Even now with Fallout 76, each update breaks something, or undoes a previously fixed issue. They release new content for players to buy, but the cosmetic is set up backwards, or the door that you buy for your camp, has the closing sound going for longer then then animation. The game has been out since 2018 and Bethesda still is unable to rollout an update cleanly.
I don't play their game and if more had the same approach the companies would change, but some are clearly OK with paying for a broken product (no offense intended). A lot just seems to be minimum effort for damage control.

I feel for the dev's as they likely put their heart and soul into the game. The Calisto Protocol was likely pushed out way too early to beat the upcoming Dead Space remake to market and that's worked out really well :rolleyes:

Bethesda best to wait 5 years or so, then the community will fix their game. I've only recently bought Skyrim LOL. I'm more inclined to spend with indie dev's as the big companies are just plainly greed driven...

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I don't think it is purposefully pushing folks to GP, since MS seems to be the last major publisher to "embrace" the price increase this gen.
I realize they were the last, but I do think this is more ammunition for them to entice others to join. Just look at this thread, people promoting the subscription instead of paying the full amount

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I just don't do it, as films, games, music can and are delisted. I have zero interest in such schemes. I far prefer to pay upfront and maintain full control of my libraries.

If companies want to charge $70 good luck to them. If something like Witcher 3 with DLC then it's worth it, sadly that's far from the norm it's more about paywalling basic game features now to push the price past $80. Not doing that...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.