Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I realize they were the last, but I do think this is more ammunition for them to entice others to join. Just look at this thread, people promoting the subscription instead of paying the full amount
I think at least for Console there is a conversation that needs to be had on whether GP is worth it over the base Live sub. Since, in order to play MP on paid games, you need live anyways GP isn't that much more on top of that so buying games outright may not be worthwhile. For PC what we are really missing is boxed copies of games, digital downloads only means we have to wait a long while for games to (maybe) go on sale.

Reactions: Queen6

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I just don't do it, as films, games, music can and are delisted. I have zero interest in such schemes. I far prefer to pay upfront and maintain full control of my libraries.

If companies want to charge $70 good luck to them. If something like Witcher 3 with DLC then it's worth it, sadly that's far from the norm it's more about paywalling basic game features now to push the price past $80. Not doing that...

Q-6
If they make the games worth it, I’ll gladly pay $70 for it. But AAA industry is still focused on loot boxes, DLC, season passes, deluxe editions, and rushed products.

If I didn’t have Factorio and it was $70, I’d gladly buy it at that price. Over 800 hours in that game and still growing.

• Love

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Have you tried the Persona series? Or FF7 Remake?
Persona 5 is the last most recent game I really enjoy. FF7 Remake did the same thing the Hobbit movies suffered from. I’m not waiting 10+ years for all three parts for a complete story.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I’m sick of the AAA games. Games like Factorio, Stardew Valley, older RPGs and Terraria/Minecraft is all I’m interested in these days.
The funny thing, I look at this game library I've amassed, and 10yo me would be proud. Yet I gravitate to five games at most. Right now I'm at two, Factorio (esp now it's AS native!) then Terraria, my only 100% games on Steam. If I still had a PC I'd be on R6 Siege and Tetris Effect. If I put all the money I wasted on games into something productive... I need that upcoming Factorio expansion though!

Queen6

macrumors G4
If they make the games worth it, I’ll gladly pay $70 for it. But AAA industry is still focused on loot boxes, DLC, season passes, deluxe editions, and rushed products.

If I didn’t have Factorio and it was $70, I’d gladly buy it at that price. Over 800 hours in that game and still growing.
Very much agree and the value far exceeds films. Easily have 3K hours (best guess) in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. own all three games and play the standalone mods. Witcher 3 closing on 1K

Dead Space, no idea been playing it since release year on year on multiple platforms :)

Q-6

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
No question and I think if Bethesda rolls out a buggy game next year, it will be very bad for them. Even now with Fallout 76, each update breaks something, or undoes a previously fixed issue. They release new content for players to buy, but the cosmetic is set up backwards, or the door that you buy for your camp, has the closing sound going for longer then then animation. The game has been out since 2018 and Bethesda still is unable to rollout an update cleanly.

Bethesda really rubbed me the wrong way with their Skyrim Anniversary Edition. They've already monetized Skyrim fifty different ways as it is, and then they decide to charge for yet another version that simply incorporates mods from their fanbase? Sheesh.

That said, like a chump my wallet will most certainly open when they finally get around to releasing ES6. ;)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Persona 5 is the last most recent game I really enjoy. FF7 Remake did the same thing the Hobbit movies suffered from. I’m not waiting 10+ years for all three parts for a complete story.
Star Ocean and Dragon Quest are also pretty good RPG's (assuming you like jRPG).

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
The funny thing, I look at this game library I've amassed, and 10yo me would be proud. Yet I gravitate to five games at most. Right now I'm at two, Factorio (esp now it's AS native!) then Terraria, my only 100% games on Steam. If I still had a PC I'd be on R6 Siege and Tetris Effect. If I put all the money I wasted on games into something productive... I need that upcoming Factorio expansion though!
How is terraria on Apple Silicon? I saw some bad videos about it, even with the Mac Studio. I never gave it a try on my new mac.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I seem to remember paying $30-50 for popular games as a kid in the 90s - seems like $70 is actually not a terrible deal when accounting for 30 years of inflation. Hopefully the game developers are seeing some of that increase - as I understand they're pretty underpaid for the work they do.

SNES games hit 80 bucks at one point. NeoGeo games were super expensive. PC games have always been relatively cheap though.

Yes, games today are cheaper when adjusted for inflation, but there is a big difference between games today and back then. The games back then were completed.

Games today might be cheaper, but they are often riddled with bugs, and sometimes cannot be played without getting an update. Not saying older games were bug free, but games today are released with bugs that are intended to be corrected later on.

Another issue with games today is DLC, either free or paid for. Older games were completed when you bought them. If there was more content, it was released in a sequel. To compare what an old game would be like if released today, TLOZ A Link to the Past would have been released with the Dark World part of the game as a paid-for DLC.

DLC wouldn't even be that big of a deal, but the DLC could be pulled at any given moment, leaving a modern game not fully playable. Compare that to any of the old games, that could be played at any time (as long as they still work, obviously).

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Star Ocean and Dragon Quest are also pretty good RPG's (assuming you like jRPG).
The only modern game series I have enjoyed recently is the Legend of Heroes. Their older games are great! Newer ones are okay.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Be prepared to shell out top dollar for AAA games.
Microsoft games like Starfield will cost $70 starting next year

While I'm eagerly waiting for Starfield. I'm not willing to pay 70 dollars. If I wait and at some point they'll be discounting them.
I’m spoiled, most of the games I purchase are in the the $20-30 range or free at Epic or GOG. :) For me to pay $60 for a game, it has to be a known entity, solid title, at least in my mind. ;) Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 4, Cyberpunk 2077, and Red Dead Redemption 2 met this criteria.

And even at $60, I just waited 2 years for Alyx to go on sale for $20. I’m also thinking that if @$70, game sales don’t live up to expectations, I suspect that sales (markdowns) will come sooner.

• Love
Reactions: maflynn and Queen6

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
How is terraria on Apple Silicon? I saw some bad videos about it, even with the Mac Studio. I never gave it a try on my new mac.
Let me get back to you some time this week. I played it some and experienced a bunch of lag, but I attributed it to my friend in rural KS hosting the world on weak internet. I believe my single player worlds worked fine, although it's been a few months (so really I'm down to Factorio I guess) and my memory could be fuzzy.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yes, games today are cheaper when adjusted for inflation, but there is a big difference between games today and back then. The games back then were completed.

Games today might be cheaper, but they are often riddled with bugs, and sometimes cannot be played without getting an update. Not saying older games were bug free, but games today are released with bugs that are intended to be corrected later on.

Another issue with games today is DLC, either free or paid for. Older games were completed when you bought them. If there was more content, it was released in a sequel. To compare what an old game would be like if released today, TLOZ A Link to the Past would have been released with the Dark World part of the game as a paid-for DLC.

DLC wouldn't even be that big of a deal, but the DLC could be pulled at any given moment, leaving a modern game not fully playable. Compare that to any of the old games, that could be played at any time (as long as they still work, obviously).
Eh, expansions were a thing in the 90's as well (on PC obviously).

Queen6

macrumors G4
Bethesda really rubbed me the wrong way with their Skyrim Anniversary Edition. They've already monetized Skyrim fifty different ways as it is, and then they decide to charge for yet another version that simply incorporates mods from their fanbase? Sheesh.

That said, like a chump my wallet will most certainly open when they finally get around to releasing ES6. ;)
Yeah, was totally a BS move on Bethesda's behalf. I only bought the standard version the mods I can apply myself for free. Anniversary Edition is like double the price, it's purely corporate greed...

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn and dmr727

Queen6

macrumors G4
I’m spoiled, most of the games I purchase are in the the $20-30 range or free at Epic or GOG. :) For me to pay $60 for a game, it has to be a known entity, solid title, at least in my mind. ;) Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 4, Cyberpunk 2077, and Red Dead Redemption 2 met this criteria.

And even at $60, I just waited 2 years for Alyx to go on sale for $20. I’m also thinking that if @$70, game sales don’t live up to expectations, I suspect that sales (markdowns) will come sooner.
As ever patience is a virtue :)

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn

Queen6

macrumors G4
Heads up for those that don't know. Native Apple Silicon & Intel 64bit games Mac Source Ports Not a crack/Pirate site. You need to own the game and move the data files to the new engine.

RBDOOM 3 BFG
DKoBaP6.png

Game has never looked or played better...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman and Huntn

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Heads up for those that don't know. Native Apple Silicon & Intel 64bit games Mac Source Ports Not a crack/Pirate site. You need to own the game and move the data files to the new engine.

RBDOOM 3 BFG
DKoBaP6.png

Game has never looked better...

Q-6

WAIT WHEN DID SONIC MANIA GET A MAC SOURCE PORT?! 👀

Sigh...I really wish we'd get a better source port of Command & Conquer than OpenRA. OpenRA is so trash lmao

But on the bright side Return to Castle Wolfenstein is pog

Reactions: Irishman

Queen6

macrumors G4
This guy gets it. Been called a "PC port begging troll" by Playstation fanboys yet?
Don't care the platform but has to be said the PC is generally more flexible. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Radiophobia 3 completely free game supported by the OG dev's but you best be ready for the challenge :cool:

Those of us who game shouldn't splinter ourselves by platform as it only serves to weaken...

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn

Queen6

macrumors G4
WAIT WHEN DID SONIC MANIA GET A MAC SOURCE PORT?! 👀

Sigh...I really wish we'd get a better source port of Command & Conquer than OpenRA. OpenRA is so trash lmao

But on the bright side Return to Castle Wolfenstein is pog
Return to Castle Wolfenstein :cool: Best in the series by a country mile. I play it with the RealRTCW mod on PC, never disappoints superb game ticks all the boxes.

I'm just happy Mac Source Ports exists, and the dev's do a top job so 👍👍👍 Some of the game engines are not the best, equally they have to work with what's legal, or they risk being shutdown...

Q-6

Reactions: Irishman and Huntn

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
And this is why I have Xbox GamePass...
Still, just why does it have to be this way?

Welcome to the Game Industry where publishers will try to nickel and dime you as much as humanly possible, made even worse thanks to Apple pushing the freemium model on mobile games and making billions from it.

They're trying to kill physical copies next and push everyone to all digital like on PC so ownership becomes a thing of the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.