Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halfpastdead

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2018
I think the regular models are MUCH more exciting this year especially for the value

I prefer the feel of the regular/Plus frosted back to those of the Pro. Hell I even prefer the aluminum feel over titanium, weight difference aside.
Same here - just pondering whether to go blue or black. Also considering 512gb but probably overkill.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I compared my 14PM to 15Plus also, they're like neck in neck brightness and crispness wise.

Seems with auto brightness on, 15Plus gets higher in same setting than 14PM. Auto brightness off 14PM is a hair brighter, but could also be iOS 17 vs 16 differences in there too since my 14PM is still on iOS 16.

Suffice to say, even for a screen stickler, if you can get over 60hz only (and honestly on its own it's .. fine) it's no slouch whatsoever.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I have a 14 Pro and am literally about to ‘down grade’ to a 15 Plus.

i feel like the 14 Pro is too heavy for its size, and its crazy to think the 15 Plus is about the same weight, considering the other perks of bigger screen and battery.

my only slight concerns are lack of AOD and promotion, although feel like AOD is a battery hog (it’s nuked my 14P to the point I turn it off) and promotion is great but the 60hz on the 15’s is done well and more than tolerable.

i also like the finish on the 15s more than the 15 Pros - this maybe 12 months of enjoying something different before a possible return to the pros next year if they manage to wow me.

Also, im a hobby photographer, so have an expensive pro camera setup, so the latest camera buzz on the PM means less to me, as at the end of the day you cant compare the quality between the two.

Anyone else done a similar ‘down grade’ lol?
Yes I just did this. I literally cannot see ProMotion. I do miss the AOD but I love the weight of the 15 Plus.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I just went to the Apple Store to pick up my 15 Plus in Blue and intentionally didn’t check it out in store to still have this surprise effect when I unpack it.

I did check out the Pro and Pro Max and coming from the 12 Pro Max, I was pretty eh about it. Looked and felt the same.

I just got home and unpacked the iPhone 15 Plus and I LOVE it. It actually FEELS (literally) like a completely different device and the subtle shade of blue is also nice. It’s so much lighter than my 12 Pro Max. I love it
Good on ya for not falling into the trap of letting Apple make you feel like you "downgraded" - and for embracing color (subtle as it is). Let the "pro" phones chill with their three boring shades of gray, plus blue. If I had to get a 15 I'd get a regular ol' 15 in one of the main colors!

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I think the regular models are MUCH more exciting this year especially for the value

I prefer the feel of the regular/Plus frosted back to those of the Pro. Hell I even prefer the aluminum feel over titanium, weight difference aside.
Can’t agree more. Even the A17 Pro is not that much better than the A16.
The cameras on the regular 15 are amazing. The screen on paper looks awesome by its specs. The Dynamic Island, USB-C, replaceable microphone, audio isolating mics for better quality voice calls, and the list goes on…

I was a bit hyped up for the Titanium material and the revolutionary 3nm A17 Pro, and none of those really convince me to spend that money. I much prefer the regular 15.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
I have a 14 Pro and am literally about to ‘down grade’ to a 15 Plus.

i feel like the 14 Pro is too heavy for its size, and its crazy to think the 15 Plus is about the same weight, considering the other perks of bigger screen and battery.

my only slight concerns are lack of AOD and promotion, although feel like AOD is a battery hog (it’s nuked my 14P to the point I turn it off) and promotion is great but the 60hz on the 15’s is done well and more than tolerable.

i also like the finish on the 15s more than the 15 Pros - this maybe 12 months of enjoying something different before a possible return to the pros next year if they manage to wow me.

Also, im a hobby photographer, so have an expensive pro camera setup, so the latest camera buzz on the PM means less to me, as at the end of the day you cant compare the quality between the two.

Anyone else done a similar ‘down grade’ lol?
This is the exact thing my boyfriend did.

He got the 14 Pro alongside me last year, but overall wasn’t the most satisfied with it this time. He mostly had battery issues, and he’s also a casual user. Doesn’t take a lot of photos, doesn’t play high end games, isn’t really doing any filming, and genuinely tells me he can’t tell the difference between 60Hz on his iPad Air and the 120Hz on his 14 Pro.

He decided he wanted both a bigger phone and bigger battery, and really wanted the USB-C as well, so it was a no brainer. He also got to keep the dynamic island, which is one thing he did love about the 14 Pro.

It’s not really a downgrade when you lose features you don’t have, but gain the ones you do, you know? In his usage and needs, the 15 Plus is objectively better.

Reactions: shr631 and MacLappy

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
How is the 60hz screen coming from a 13 Pro Max?

I’m tempted to purchase a Plus but that’s really my only concern.

I’ve read some believe it’s seems smoother than 14 series?

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Ian the camera on the 15 plus as good as the camera on the 14 pro?
Can’t give any examples but I tested the 15 vs. a friend’s 14 Pro in a few different conditions. This 3x on the 14 Pro is no match for the 15, but for 1x and 2x shots I personally prefer the 15’s look.

It’s a small difference and both are amazing cameras, but the 14 Pro has some weird processing going on, imo. Especially when blown up to a larger size, photos from the 15 just look more natural to me. They mostly produce similar results with a better sensor in the 14 Pro (I believe?) and improved processing on 15.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Can’t give any examples but I tested the 15 vs. a friend’s 14 Pro in a few different conditions. This 3x on the 14 Pro is no match for the 15, but for 1x and 2x shots I personally prefer the 15’s look.

It’s a small difference and both are amazing cameras, but the 14 Pro has some weird processing going on, imo. Especially when blown up to a larger size, photos from the 15 just look more natural to me. They mostly produce similar results with a better sensor in the 14 Pro (I believe?) and improved processing on 15.
Great feedback thank you also my 15 pro when opening emails or websites just keeps getting stuck and hot. It’s frustrating.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t really notice it.
I notice 120 Hz a lot - it's just nicer and makes everything feel much more responsive and snappier. The thing is more so that I'm not dreading its lack when it's not there.

It's a basic feature and there's nothing "Pro" about it especially at the prices Apple asks - but it's probably the only thing that pushes many towards the more expensive models. For me personally nothing could because I'll never spend that much on a phone and I already find it quite hard to justify the regular model's price (the regular 14 was super sad to see), and especially so without a carrier deal.

I thought about it but too many compromises imo to save $200. Lesser camera, less chip performance, promotion, less ram, less usb-c speed. Mute switch is limited to one function while the action button can be changed to what you want. Some won’t care about that but some do.
That's true. Personally I find the cameras the same since I mostly shoot 1x or 2x (LOVING that the 15 got that!), never had performance/RAM complaints as there's nothing I'm doing that I couldn't do even on an iPhone X, and I only plug in to charge. I also find the action button to be a gimmick - it's cool for shortcuts, but I could launch a shortcut from a lock screen widget with pretty much the exact same level of effort. That's all a good sign though - finally the Pros feel like they're made for people who actually need these features and not just an upselling tactic with an intentionally cripped regular model alongside them.

Reactions: shr631

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
Screw it. Canceled my iPhone 15 Pro Max Blue Titanium. Ordering an iPhone 15 Plus in Yellow. Time to get on the "regular" rotation. Reactions will be posted tomorrow.
As I impatiently wait for my 15PM I have considered the 15Plus as well.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
You can run the 13 Pro at 60Hz just to test it out and see if it bothers you. Setting > Accessibility > Motion > Limit Frame Rate
Ive actually been doing that today. Its alright. Not really ideal but I really only notice it when closing an app and going back to the home screen.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
As per my earlier reply in this thread, I decided to cancel my 15PM order tonight and ordered the 15Plus for pickup at my local Apple Store for Saturday.

Between the lengthy wait for the PM, the heat lottery with the Pro models, questioning if I really needed the extras on the Pro Max when my current regular 13 does everything I want (I just want the bigger screen which is why I’m upgrading), and the desirable much lighter weight of the 15Plus, I am going with the Plus. Saving the $300 with the Plus is just an added benefit.

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
You can run the 13 Pro at 60Hz just to test it out and see if it bothers you. Setting > Accessibility > Motion > Limit Frame Rate

Good tip.

I just did this in my 14 Pro while I await the 15 Plus to be delivered.

It's jarring at first but I think I got used to it now after a few hours. I'll see if I can live with it..

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I just went to the Apple Store to pick up my 15 Plus in Blue and intentionally didn’t check it out in store to still have this surprise effect when I unpack it.

I did check out the Pro and Pro Max and coming from the 12 Pro Max, I was pretty eh about it. Looked and felt the same.

I just got home and unpacked the iPhone 15 Plus and I LOVE it. It actually FEELS (literally) like a completely different device and the subtle shade of blue is also nice. It’s so much lighter than my 12 Pro Max. I love it

I have the 15 Plus and the 14 Plus here, and honestly, I prefer holding the 14 Plus. It feels a tad thinner, which is nice. It's also just as snappy. I prefer the notch to the pill, and it has lightning, which means I don't need a bunch of new cords.

My take is that the 14 Plus is this year's surprise winner. (Plus the colors are way better.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.