Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
No it’s not.

Yes, if accepted by governments it is.

It contains vaccines certificates and/or Covid-19 test results in a digital form. Normally you would have those on paper.

Let's say you want to travel to Iceland to look at the volcanic eruption there. If the Icelandic government accept this app as valid documentation, you would show the app and its content to the customs agent (or similar) instead of the same information on paper.

You have to have such documentation in some form to get into Iceland easily. I don't see why having it in digital form is worse than having it in paper form.

Reactions: Killerbob

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
You keep posting this. No one is denying this. We are talking about having to show proof of vaccination.

you seem to be such a nice guy and all. Wishing harm on people. Smfh.
Actually, there are some very evil people who are saying things like, "It's not anyone else's business." These things are far more reprehensible than people who fly aircraft into tall buildings. On 9/11 when they committed their crime against humanity, it is one then done. Those who go out in public without masks or refuse to prove they have been vaccinated commit an act of terrorism every time they take a breath.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Yes, if accepted by governments it is.

It contains vaccines certificates and/or Covid-19 test results in a digital form. Normally you would have those on paper.

Let's say you want to travel to Iceland to look at the volcanic eruption there. If the Icelandic government accept this app as valid documentation, you would show the app and its content to the customs agent (or similar) instead of the same information on paper.

You have to have such documentation in some form to get into Iceland easily. I don't see why having it in digital form is worse than having it in paper form.
The paper form is a token for the electronic, much like your driver's license or your passport. When they look at these documents, they scan a code that brings up the digital copy. That digital copy is what they use.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
You keep posting this. No one is denying this. We are talking about having to show proof of vaccination.

But only for international air travel! IATA is only concerned about air travel between countries. They don't care about shops in the US.

Most countries already has severe restrictions on entrance so you will have to show proof of vaccination anyhow. Whether you do so by showing an app or papers shouldn't really matter.

if you don't want to use it you can just carry your vaccines certificates on paper.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Stupid. Whether or not I’ve had the vaccine is nobody’s business but mine.

i take it then you have no problems carrying a passport for travel generally yet your first bone to pick is somehow with this one, as if it's an invasion of your privacy.

yet the passport you carry as a citizen of the country you reside in has an enormous amount of identifying information about you, can be demanded by officials at any port of entry or exit, and the origin country can influence the way you are treated abroad.

but yeah. covid passport is a big big problem xD

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Well... There are these places

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Wou

l guess you would be ok infecting yourself with a little tiny bit of a tiny bit of a hiv or hep c virus? That’s what your arguing.
I think we would all agree that getting shot by a gun would be a bad thing. What if there was no gun, and someone just tossed the bullet at you. That's not quite so bad. What if it was not the entire bullet? What if it was just the tip?

This is like having someone put the tip of a bullet next to your desk only, the tip of the bullet is not lead, that's toxic. The tip of the bullet is actually a french fry.

The stuff this vaccine is made of is like a tiny fragment of a bullet sitting on your desk, only your body will think it's a bit of food.

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
All this for a virus with an IFR of 0.23%... ??‍♂️ Jesus, flying is risky, even getting vaccinated is risky. I’m not saying the risk is the same but everything has some degree of risk.

It’s my business if you want to sit in the airplane seat next to me.

Would you be happy with someone sitting next to you on a plane who is unvaccinated, but tested negative for SARS-CoV-2?

What happens if you sit next to someone who has Flu but isn’t displaying symptoms yet, then you die from the resulting pneumonia? Should we all be subjected to compulsory vaccinations for seasonal flu too?

Life has a 100% mortality rate.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Oh please. I have a degree in cellular and molecular biology. I actually understand the science. When faced with something like this I always look deeper into what the science is actually saying (because admittedly the media often oversimplifies or spins it weird). No one tells me what to think, but keep telling yourself that everyone who understands the science is a lemming.

You people who think this is some deep plot to control people need some serious psychiatric help. If you look at the way governments have responded it pretty clear that they are in reactionary panic mode most of the time and are just making this up as they go along. There’s no deep sinister plan here. Grow up.
I think you nailed it. It's not so much that this was hatched as a plan to control everyone, but it seems governments are USING it as an opportunity to control everyone. Emotional reactions / panic while logic and risk analysis are left in the dust.

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
Well... There are these places

Good thing I have no desire to any of that.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Actually the science IS showing this.
Actually no it is not. Statistics are alluding to the possibility. But there have been no examinations of actual biological mechanisms for produced antibodies absolutely preventing any sort of infection.

were this the case it would have been stated by the manufactures to begin with. All they’ve ever been willing to claim is it reduces the severity and intensity of the illness and may prevent infection in some individuals.

the only study to date that alludes to the possibility of infection risk being so low that it’s barely a consideration is that of the CDC which followed individuals who are healthcare and essential workers. Those real-life examples are of people who already take tremendous precautions not to get or transmit the virus.

and there were still infections reported among the population.

it’s also not entirely clear how the control was established or if it was in any way representative of an equivalent scenario.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
I think you nailed it. It's not so much that this was hatched as a plan to control everyone, but it seems governments are USING it as an opportunity to control everyone. Emotional reactions / panic while logic and risk analysis are left in the dust.
Oh please. I have a degree in cellular and molecular biology. I actually understand the science. When faced with something like this I always look deeper into what the science is actually saying (because admittedly the media often oversimplifies or spins it weird). No one tells me what to think, but keep telling yourself that everyone who understands the science is a lemming.

You people who think this is some deep plot to control people need some serious psychiatric help. If you look at the way governments have responded it pretty clear that they are in reactionary panic mode most of the time and are just making this up as they go along. There’s no deep sinister plan here. Grow up.
I agree with you. I own a medical technology consulting firm and also head up a bio sciences research foundation. We’ve been trying to get full genome sequencing of specific (controlled) populations to monitor and track viral exposure and response. The hope is the analytics will highlight common genotypes and enable us to better understand who is at greater risk and why.

However even with that the matter of privacy does come up. And we’re we to have our way everyone’s genome would be available in a database for an even broader analysis. Several other countries have similar databases and they have used them to research risk. However it is also a power that can easily be abused. And it does give one pause.

I think a vaccination ID card is warranted for airline or public travel. But it is also something that could go sideways in a heartbeat. This entire concept made me rethink our approach to genomic surveillance. No concrete answer or decision yet, but yea, for the time being sinister plots do not seem to be present.

although, vaccine effectiveness is being portrayed in far too rosy manner to be entirely believable.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh gawd. The government where I live is desperate to open everything up, and usually does it too fast leading to an explosion of cases. They also refuse to enforce their own restrictions and just let the hospitals overload before doing anything. Does it really sound like they want this responsibility and enjoy controlling everyone? I can tell they hate it and are desperate for this to be over so they can focus on making people hate them less in hopes of winning the next election somehow.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
First off, it makes sense that there is a standard created for verifying eligibility for entering a country. Each country should have the right to accept or deny anyone into their country according to their own laws.

Regarding the comments about the people not getting a vaccine as being evil — you can’t read anyone’s heart, but I would suspect that they aren’t intending to harm others but rather protect themselves from taking something they think might harm themselves. Given the track record of the pharm industry and politicians, this should be understandable.

If the argument is that a person refusing the vaccine is making the virus stronger — wouldn’t the fact that the vaccine is being slowly rolled out over months be the main cause of this? I would imagine availability is a higher concern over someone refusing it.

Would it have been better to wait and have it available all at once for everyone to take? Or is this a compromise or gamble — that some relief will help out despite the possibility of the virus becoming stronger in the interim? I think some people have this idea that there is a large group of people that are refusing to get the vaccine, but that number is probably insignificant compared to the lack of wide supply of the vaccines.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Stupid. It’s just as much my business as it’s yours. If you don’t want to get vaccinated, you don’t get to sit next to me. Is it clear?
Just wear a sign that says "if you're not vaccinated then you are a leper to me and unclean!". Wouldn't that be more effective than something hidden on my iphone?

• Disagree
Reactions: CJ Dorschel

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
All this for a virus with an IFR of 0.23%... ??‍♂️ Jesus, flying is risky, even getting vaccinated is risky. I’m not saying the risk is the same but everything has some degree of risk.

Would you be happy with someone sitting next to you on a plane who is unvaccinated, but tested negative for SARS-CoV-2?

What happens if you sit next to someone who has Flu but isn’t displaying symptoms yet, then you die from the resulting pneumonia? Should we all be subjected to compulsory vaccinations for seasonal flu too?

Life has a 100% mortality rate.

The flu is different, because, generally speaking, when you are contagious with the flu, you know it. If you knowingly get on a flight while having flu symptoms, and someone dies because of it, you’ll pay a price. With CV19 you can be contagious and not even know you’ve been infected.

And if you have a negative test for Covid, assuming it’s a high quality test and is recent enough, that’s fine. That’s why all of these “passport” schemes also allow for testing out.

Life has a 100% mortality rate, but I wasn’t supposed to die today because some selfish ******* has to fly to see his sister-wife and won’t get a vaccine because ‘MURICA!

Reactions: CJ Dorschel

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
The flu is different, because, generally speaking, when you are contagious with the flu, you know it. If you knowingly get on a flight while having flu symptoms, and someone dies because of it, you’ll pay a price. With CV19 you can be contagious and not even know you’ve been infected.

And if you have a negative test for Covid, assuming it’s a high quality test and is recent enough, that’s fine. That’s why all of these “passport” schemes also allow for testing out.

Life has a 100% mortality rate, but I wasn’t supposed to die today because some selfish ******* has to fly to see his sister-wife and won’t get a vaccine because ‘MURICA!
That part. 100%

Attachments

• 82311457-1D9D-4D0E-B2C4-FE6FAAA0B1A0.gif
    82311457-1D9D-4D0E-B2C4-FE6FAAA0B1A0.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 94

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Actually no it is not. Statistics are alluding to the possibility. But there have been no examinations of actual biological mechanisms for produced antibodies absolutely preventing any sort of infection.

were this the case it would have been stated by the manufactures to begin with. All they’ve ever been willing to claim is it reduces the severity and intensity of the illness and may prevent infection in some individuals.

What? Of course there's a biological mechanism for antibodies to prevent infections. If you have enough neutralizing antibodies and get exposed to the virus, the antibodies will bind to the surface proteins of the virus and competitively inhibit the spike protein from binding to a ACE2 receptor and fusing to the cell.

Manufacturers won't claim that neutralizing antibody responses are elicited by their vaccines because the antibody response to SARS-CoV-2 and/or to their vaccines has been shown to be highly variable between individuals, and neutralizing immunity may fade over time. But it stands to reason that if the virus can't even infect you because of the neutralizing antibodies elicited from the vaccine, you won't be contagious.

And in the case you DO get a (mild) infection despite the vaccine, you would still have some amount of antibodies and the number of free viral particles would be lower -> Less chance for the virus to spread and infect others.

This is the common understanding of how the vaccine and the immune response work. To say that the vaccine does not lower the probability of transmitting the virus in any way would be an extraordinary claim, as it'd reveal a flaw in our current understanding, and as such would require extraordinary evidence. And so far, the evidence absolutely points to vaccines dampening the spread.

Last edited:
Reactions: bodonnell202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.