Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
I agree with the above keep this thread open and we do need a solution the Apple smart case is just not cutting it.

Norre8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2018
Good question. I'd like to get a case for travel. No way I would throw them in a bag just in their 'Smart Case.' I wish Apple sold a first-party solution.
I always wear mine on my neck OR bookbag. Don't think the case matters that much.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I always wear mine on my neck OR bookbag. Don't think the case matters that much.
When you say “or bookbag” do you mean you would throw these in a book bag? Because I would definitely not do that, personally. I think my white headband fabric would get dirty very quickly.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
One review said the battery drains unless they are put into the case and the magnetic clasp is closed. That’s the other main reason people will be interested in aftermarket solutions. There is no off button.
They also go into the ultra low power mode if not used for a while. But they will obviously use a bit more power during that period.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Will need to wait a while I think for third party cases that will accommodate the whole APM including headband and smart case.

I will be too scared to put them in my backpack as is.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Id be more interested in seeing the magnet swatches that people will create to simply put the headphones to sleep when not in use to avoid having to use the included case.

Reactions: mcaswell

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Won't this have to be a case that just fits over the Apple case? It seems unlikely that someone is going to be able to provide a case that provides the low power functionality of the Apple case and most likely make one that fits over it, as stupid as that seems.

Reactions: SHKLMRE

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Waterfield is making one, they are looking for feedback in what people want.
Came here to say this. I filled out the survey a day or two ago. With that company, I'm guessing IF they can get their hands on hardware, they'll have a solution by January.
Did they send you guys an email about that? Any chance I can take the survey, too?

Reactions: Superman730

TeamSAM

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Can someone with AirPods Max measure the width of the "smart case" with the AirPods Max in it and the maximum thickness in that position?

I'm trying to determine which of the available generic headphones cases that are out there already will accommodate the APM in the Apple case, and mine don't arrive until next week.

Reactions: hufflematt

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Last edited:

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Found this on Amazon. Seems like it would fit the APM?

No those absolutely will not fit. One of the cups needs to be folded inward in order to fit this case.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
pretty safe bet that apple will come out with a bunch of different cases just like what they do for the iphone...

I really hope they do. I don't really care about the looks of it, I just need something that is going to be somewhat protective while travelling. The headband to me feels pretty fragile and something that could easily rip if not placed in a protective case in your bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.