Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
Found this on Amazon. Seems like it would fit the APM?
I don't think those will work. The headphones would have to "fold" for it to fit.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I've been eyeing this one, but I'm not sure yet.

ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2

71yJwQzv4-L._AC_SL1100_.jpg

81xCcpFTKVL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Reactions: Phil1975

TeamSAM

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Here's my case size requirement analysis, with the callout that it would be super-helpful to have someone who already has APX to take some measurements to confirm my assumptions:

By scaling and overlaying the silhouette of the APX in the case on Apple's tech spec page with the measurement image, I get an approximate width of around 8.5", and assuming that folding the earcups flat increases the height a little bit, let's say the vertical dimension is 7.65" or so.

This means that the smart case actually makes the packed APX wider than they are tall, though I'm not sure how flexible overhang on the horizontal edges of the smart case is–there may be potential here to do some folding/squeeing and reduce the width down from 8.5".

The remaining question is how thick the APX are when in their case. Assuming the headband is the thickest part in this configuration, and going by the proportions on Apple's tech spec silhouette again, they should be slightly under 2".

The net of all this is a target case size of about 8.6" x 7.75" x 2" (I'm assuming we need a little wiggle room beyond the assumed dimensions). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot out there that's this tall/wide but also relatively thin.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
Id be more interested in seeing the magnet swatches that people will create to simply put the headphones to sleep when not in use to avoid having to use the included case.
Same here. I don't really need a case, as these headphones are rarely (if ever) going to leave the house, but I store them on a stand on my desk, and I don't want to have to keep the bra handy, plus have to put it on/take it off every time. But a small thingie that I could clip to the headphones to shut them off? I'd be all over that. Guess it depends where the magnetic sensor is located as to how practical and easy to use it would be.

GarethR

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Would love a pouch style case which accommodates the existing Apple smart case. Something like B&O's pouches would be great. Not overly bothered by most of the random no-name brand stuff on Amazon though. These cans deserve better.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I don't think those will work. The headphones would have to "fold" for it to fit.
I measured the dimensions of the APM while its in the smart case with the ear cups laid flat and they fit the dimensions of this case.

Case = 25 x 22 x 7cm
APM = 21.5 x 21 x 5cm

The sample pictures on Amazon also shows a pair of headphones laid flat (but not folded like the XM4).

gabem82

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
My dream is a felt lined clamshell with ballistic nylon exterior that's free of gaudy branding, and a non-flimsy metal zipper closure. Dare to dream. This flimsy trash that it comes with would be laughable if it wasn't so insulting that it's all they could muster to ship with these otherwise incredible headphones.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I measured the dimensions of the APM while its in the smart case with the ear cups laid flat and they fit the dimensions of this case.

Case = 25 x 22 x 7cm
APM = 21.5 x 21 x 5cm

The sample pictures on Amazon also shows a pair of headphones laid flat (but not folded like the XM4).

These look pretty good--have them saved in my cart just in case as I've ordered a different case that also looks like it should fit the dimensions of the APM while in their own case.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Found this on Amazon. Seems like it would fit the APM?
I rough measured mine (inside the *bra*) to allow for some space... 8.5" wide, 7.5" tall, headband is 2.5" tall, *bra* is 2" tall. So you will need the *inside* of the case to be at least that big to fit these.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Am I the only person in the world who doesn’t actually mind the case? In fact, I quite like it.
For home / office use it's perfectly fine. My case is white though so I imagine I will accidentally transfer pen ink on it somehow. I wouldn't really use the case for travel though as I can see the white headband getting dirty.

I also don't see an issue with the low power case mode. I've just been setting them face down on my desk and they go to sleep well enough. I left them for an hour and the battery didn't really drain much (a percent or two). I'll leave them out of the case overnight and make note of the percentage lost.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
Same here. I don't really need a case, as these headphones are rarely (if ever) going to leave the house, but I store them on a stand on my desk, and I don't want to have to keep the bra handy, plus have to put it on/take it off every time. But a small thingie that I could clip to the headphones to shut them off? I'd be all over that. Guess it depends where the magnetic sensor is located as to how practical and easy to use it would be.
Or just plug them in to charge?

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Won't this have to be a case that just fits over the Apple case? It seems unlikely that someone is going to be able to provide a case that provides the low power functionality of the Apple case and most likely make one that fits over it, as stupid as that seems.

All the third party hard cases I've seen online so far, are simply a case that allows the AirPods Max (with their Smart Case on them) to be stored in that case. Perhaps things will change, as I can remember with third party cases for the iPad, once they found where the magnets were inside the iPad, third party companies were then able to make their cases with the auto sleep/wake functionality.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I'm thinking several companies will just make a hard case that fits the airpods max AND the apple case inside. So they can be in the low power mode while being protected. Seems like a no brainer.

All the third party hard cases I've seen online so far, are like you have said, simply a case that allows the AirPods Max (with their Smart Case on them) to be stored in that case.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Led-zep

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2015
Amazing, that Apple customers tolerate this kind of ****. no case, no headphone adapter or cable in the box

that will be $549 please! Omg take my money, look at how seamless it connects to my Apple devices, woah!

seriously, you can’t make decent case that protects your expensive headphones

Tim Apple Must have run out of cash to spend the R&D on a case designer

#courage

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.