Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
This is perfect in every way.
My question though is, why a multi billion, trillion etc company couldn’t design something like this which was made in less than a month by a small company?
Because it was probably intentional. It got the entire Internet to blow up about it using only iPad case parts. Cost them nothing to make, and the marketing was almost free for the headphones. 95% of the reviews: great headphones, terrible case.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
My question though is, why a multi billion, trillion etc company couldn’t design something like this which was made in less than a month by a small company?

they could have, obviously. They chose not to. There was an article where the guy who built the case was so proud of how it was so minimalist and inspired by origami. This case was a choice, not an accident.

Phil1975

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2017
Just ordered the WaterField case in chocolate leather. Shipping on 29th January to the UK.
Hope it’s worth the wait, and the shipping costs lol

Jason

I was tempted to came up to £103 including shipping to the UK.
Going to hold off til new year wait for some reviews 1st.

Reactions: JasonHB

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020

They obviously could have easily done this. But Apple these days is all about providing less while still charging the same or more. Don't get me wrong, they make great products, but they have figured out that (at least currently) that that they have a built in large enough user base that will buy their products regardless of what they do or don't put in the box. Why put in high quality accessories in the boxes if people will buy the items anyway?

Its the same concept as the lightning cables they ship out. They are complete garbage. Apple could easily make a nice braided cable that would still enable them to have a huge markup on their devices, but they don't. And they don't because they don't have to because until people stop buying there is no reason for them to spend money in areas they don't have to.

Reactions: mikezmac

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

They couldn’t, or they chose not to?

Apple is all about simplicity and minimalism and I believe their AirPods bra case is their purest expression of this. In their eyes of course.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Wouldn't you be better off just spending $60 on AppleCare+ instead of $99 on a case? And AC+ protects against everthing. Maybe I'm missing something here.
AC+ does not protect against everything. Listed under exclusions: "cosmetic damage not affecting the functionality of the Covered Equipment."
So dings or scratches as result of not having a good case would not be covered.
For example, for Apple watches, people have discovered to their chagrin that scratched watch faces are not covered by AC+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.