Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
Amazing, that Apple customers tolerate this kind of ****. no case, no headphone adapter or cable in the box

that will be $549 please! Omg take my money, look at how seamless it connects to my Apple devices, woah!

seriously, you can’t make decent case that protects your expensive headphones

Tim Apple Must have run out of cash to spend the R&D on a case designer

#courage

as a shareholder too, i do not mind this at all...

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Amazing, that Apple customers tolerate this kind of ****. no case, no headphone adapter or cable in the box

A lot of people aren't bother about an headphone adapter, afterall this is 2020 and these are a bluetooth headphone afterall. There is a cable included in the box with the headphones.

Yeah the case is a mess, but a lot of people I expect will be using these headphones at home or while out and about and will be wearing them, so what's the need for case.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Last edited:

jamface

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
Yeah, I'm considering that, but I'm not thrilled about the batteries being kept at 100% constantly, as that's supposed to be bad for longevity.

You know deep down that there's nothing you can do to stop these batteries being fairly useless three years down the line...

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008

Attachments

• tempImagex6pEXp.png
    tempImagex6pEXp.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 173

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
This guy bought all versions, but also tested an Amazon case, at 1min50.

And thanks to this clown four people are going to have to wait until march to have theirs delivered. I haven't seen a single review with more than two colors. That is ridiculous.

• Sad
Reactions: Absrnd

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
You know deep down that there's nothing you can do to stop these batteries being fairly useless three years down the line...
I would expect longer that, although it’ll obviously vary by usage. They won’t be comparable with the very short lifespan of in-ear Airpods in this regard. They’re tiny batteries in the first place, any reduction in health has a very significant hit on battery life and their ability to hold a charge.

At a guess, I’ve used mine cumulatively about 3 hours a day since Tuesday. I’ve got 42% charge left. At this rate, I expect I’ll be charging them once every 5 days or so. Inexact, but lets say 75 charges a year. I’d expect the battery to only start degrading from use after about 200-250 cycles, and even then I’d expect 15 hours plus.

Given any Li-Ion battery ages, used or not, the useful life of them will probably reach 5 years in my case. I’d expect them to be at least 75% health then, 15 hours or so. £75 for a battery replacement, I can live with that. (UK battery replacement priced at £309 was thankfully an error, Apple have confirmed it’s £75).

My old Bose QCII’s still have about 15 hours life after years of use. Even with no off switch, I expect the APM to be comparable.

It’s ingrained in me to not like the absence of a power switch, but so long as the battery have a useful life of 4-5 years, the upside is worth it. I love just putting them on and they’re ready. I only put them in the case when I go out or go to bed.

They’re ill suited to rare/occasional headphone users though I think. It would annoy the hell out of me if I picked them up and they always had low battery. But then you have to wonder why an occasional user would spend £550 on headphones, heh.

Last edited:

jamface

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
I would expect longer that, although it’ll obviously vary by usage. They won’t be comparable with the very short lifespan of in-ear Airpods in this regard. They’re tiny batteries in the first place, any reduction in health has a very significant hit on battery life and their ability to hold a charge.

At a guess, I’ve used mine cumulatively about 3 hours a day since Tuesday. I’ve got 42% charge left. At this rate, I expect I’ll be charging them once every 5 days or so. Inexact, but lets say 75 charges a year. I’d expect the battery to only start degrading from use after about 200-250 cycles, and even then I’d expect 15 hours plus.

Given any Li-Ion battery ages, used or not, the useful life of them will probably reach 5 years in my case. I’d expect them to be at least 75% health then, 15 hours or so. £75 for a battery replacement, I can live with that. (UK battery replacement priced at £309 was thankfully an error, Apple have confirmed it’s £75).

My old Bose QCII’s still have about 15 hours life after years of use. Even with no off switch, I expect the APM to be comparable.

It’s ingrained in me to not like the absence of a power switch, but so long as the battery have a useful life of 4-5 years, the upside is worth it. I love just putting them on and they’re ready. I only put them in the case when I go out or go to bed.

They’re ill suited to rare/occasional headphone users though I think. It would annoy the hell out of me if I picked them up and they always had low battery. But then you have to wonder why an occasional user would spend £550 on headphones, heh.
£75 is actually not so bad, relative to purchase price. Especially compared to £49 for each AirPod repair, when the pair only cost £130. And yeah, obviously they just give you a new one as they're unrepairable, so that high price is... understandable :confused:

almost makes the Max look like a bargain. Clever old Apple.

JuneJune

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2020
Scandinavia
Chinese retailers on Taobao seem to have dedicated APMx cases already. I have this one on the way, mostly because it is a model that does not require the ear ups to be rotated flat, so I want to see how that works.
DBC71FA5-1271-4221-8C2C-03B207F97CA7.jpeg

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Chinese retailers on Taobao seem to have dedicated APMx cases already. I have this one on the way, mostly because it is a model that does not require the ear ups to be rotated flat, so I want to see how that works.
View attachment 1697947
That’s just the standard headphone cases that’ve been on Amazon for a while now.
I think they just added APM to the title.

Reactions: JuneJune

JuneJune

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2020
Scandinavia
That’s just the standard headphone cases that’ve been on Amazon for a while now.
Thanks, good to know. I will keep an eye on Taobao for more to show up

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I ordered the generic case on Amazon and it arrived today.

ABC846A7-139D-4A19-94FD-42B30A0BCCE3.jpeg
D1056840-1B37-4297-A6B2-C612F15A3FA8.jpeg

Build quality is average and nothing to rave about. Just a hard shell case that does the basic job of enclosing headphones.
The AirPods Max fit in it perfectly but the overall case is quite bulky. But I’m a lot more at ease when I do want to take the APM out in a backpack.
Will wait for higher quality ones specially made for the APM. Hopefully they’ll be available soon.

dyzfnctional

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008

View attachment 1698503 View attachment 1698504

Build quality is average and nothing to rave about. Just a hard shell case that does the basic job of enclosing headphones.
The AirPods Max fit in it perfectly but the overall case is quite bulky. But I’m a lot more at ease when I do want to take the APM out in a backpack.
Will wait for higher quality ones specially made for the APM. Hopefully they’ll be available soon.

thanks for your post and review... think ill wait and see what else becomes available since I'm not traveling anytime soon anyway. Hopefully something good.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England

Looks good. Hopefully some custom soft cases will appear on the market soon

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
This guy bought all versions, but also tested an Amazon case, at 1min50.

I ordered this one from Amazon and it arrived today. It's too small. I was hoping it would fit with the smart case on but even without the smart case the cups are touching/rubbing against each other. The guy in the youtube video either got a different case or misrepresented the fit.

IMG_8269.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: JuneJune

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007

Beware... I used this link to order yesterday based on the post and the case is not the one that the poster provided an image of. I noticed that the product image on the Amazon listing looked different and just assumed that it would be okay. This is what I just received...

IMG_8275.JPG

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
Just got my AirPods max I’m in the uk are there any other case options of yet? All just the ones that have already been posted.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland

They seem to have the perfect fit, and even with some DIY, can be used to make them go into low power mode :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.