Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GarethR

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
When will Apple release Airpods Max 2???
At this point I can’t imagine they’ll do anything until they’re able to natively support end to end lossless audio.

There really isn’t anything much they could add to the existing product right now, that would necessitate new hardware so I can’t imagine they’re in too much of a rush.

Maybe some new colours though - which works for the Beats products and is what brands like B&O do.

Reactions: oneseattleguy

halifaxcrosby

Suspended
Jan 17, 2022
At this point I can’t imagine they’ll do anything until they’re able to natively support end to end lossless audio.

There really isn’t anything much they could add to the existing product right now, that would necessitate new hardware so I can’t imagine they’re in too much of a rush.

Maybe some new colours though - which works for the Beats products and is what brands like B&O do.
Totally agreed!
There is no reason for them to get a new gen without any real innovation

Reactions: GarethR

oneseattleguy

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2023
Seattle
s

same thoughts!

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020

I completely disagree. They can add better battery life, an off switch, better noise cancellation. Competitors are not sitting on their hands. New headphones from competitors have 30+ hours of battery life as an example. Just look at the AirPod Pro 2 and how much better they got at noise cancellation.

Reactions: sydneysider88

GarethR

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I completely disagree. They can add better battery life, an off switch, better noise cancellation. Competitors are not sitting on their hands. New headphones from competitors have 30+ hours of battery life as an example. Just look at the AirPod Pro 2 and how much better they got at noise cancellation.
Who really needs a thing such as an on off physical switch? I’m serious in that it’s one of the things with the APM that I really love. A physical switch would serve no other purpose than to appease battery anxiety which I’ve never found to be much of an issue anyway. Sure more battery life is always welcome, as is even better ANC (although that’s mostly a function of software and not down to hardware). But if you think Apple are ever going to introduce an old fashioned power switch then the next generation aren’t ever likely to be for you.

I should probably add I either own or have owned most of their competition too: PX8, Bathys, MW75, ML5909, H95 etc. And yet I still find huge utility and value in the APM and remain a solid part of my rotation. The competition really hasn’t introduced anything especially innovative over the APM, especially since most of them are all just Qualcomm SoC based designs.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Who really needs a thing such as an on off physical switch? I’m serious in that it’s one of the things with the APM that I really love. A physical switch would serve no other purpose than to appease battery anxiety which I’ve never found to be much of an issue anyway. Sure more battery life is always welcome, as is even better ANC (although that’s mostly a function of software and not down to hardware). But if you think Apple are ever going to introduce an old fashioned power switch then the next generation aren’t ever likely to be for you.

I should probably add I either own or have owned most of their competition too: PX8, Bathys, MW75, ML5909, H95 etc. And yet I still find huge utility and value in the APM and remain a solid part of my rotation. The competition really hasn’t introduced anything especially innovative over the APM, especially since most of them are all just Qualcomm SoC based designs.
I think a physical switch is important to preserve battery life of the headphones especially when they are not user replaceable and apple care last only 2 years, but thats my take. How do you like your PX8 and the H95, those are two that have peaked my interest the most but considering im in the Apple ecosystem I think the Max might be the best fit for me.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Who really needs a thing such as an on off physical switch?

I think a physical switch is important to preserve battery life of the headphones especially when they are not user replaceable and apple care last only 2 years, but thats my take.
I agree that a physical off switch is unnecessary. I prefer being able to put them on and them instantly be available for playback without some extra boot time. I've had my APM since release date, and have used them almost every day since, and the battery has been consistently great.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I agree that a physical off switch is unnecessary. I prefer being able to put them on and them instantly be available for playback without some extra boot time. I've had my APM since release date, and have used them almost every day since, and the battery has been consistently great.
Yes the ability to just put them on and go is great. I have Airpods max and Airpods pro and I love that about them. I also have some Beats Flex and it’s so annoying that I have to keep turning them on and then waiting for them to connect to my iphone.

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2013

AirPods Max 2 2023 rumors​

1. Too heavy
2. Needs better battery life
3. Better noise cancellation

Picked them a few days ago pretty good but 2 years old …

Reactions: Student of Life

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I got the $35 audio cable that should've been included for free. I'm happy with how the AirPods sounds with it, but I'm disappointed that you can use the play/pause controls when plugged in. Meanwhile a cheap $19 pair of EarPods can do that.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Finally got a pair! $100 off and then gift cards on top of it. Don’t care about waiting for gen 2. Super happy with them, super comfortable, sounds much better than my old Bose 700’s they’re replacing and noise cancellation is a lot better than those. Now I can truly enjoy spatial audio when watching shows and movies without waking the family.
IMG_5249.jpeg

Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Finally got a pair! $100 and then gift cards on top of it. Don’t care about waiting for gen 2. Super happy with them, super comfortable, sounds much better than my old Bose 700’s they’re replacing and noise cancellation is a lot better than those. Now I can truly enjoy spatial audio when watching shows and movies without waking the family. View attachment 2231971
Best color too!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Finally got a pair! $100 and then gift cards on top of it. Don’t care about waiting for gen 2. Super happy with them, super comfortable, sounds much better than my old Bose 700’s they’re replacing and noise cancellation is a lot better than those. Now I can truly enjoy spatial audio when watching shows and movies without waking the family. View attachment 2231971
How’d you get them for $100?!

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I feel like the AirPods Max have improved / sound better to me now than they did the first year or 2 I had them. For a long time the presentation seemed kinda 2D and I wasn't sure I wanted to keep them. But recently as I've started using them more... I'm enjoying them a lot more. Anyone feel this way? I wonder if it correlates with the release of spatial audio last year. (To be clear, I'm not an Apple Music subscriber and am just listening to both my own library in the Music app as well as Spotify-- they're just more enjoyable overall regardless of what I'm listening to.)

Or have I just acclimated to the sound signature? Maybe a mix of both firmware update and acclimating to their sound? haha.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I just got a pair of Air Pods Max as well after my Bose QC15 (long serving) finally failed - the left side stopped giving sound. :( That's terminal. Something in the wiring failed I guess.

Love the blue Air Pods Max so far. But damn they are costly - almost as much as my Sonus Faber Pryma headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.