Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Ugh I so want a pair, but I really am trying to hold out for 2nd gen. Surely, it has to be in the next few months.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Long wait times on the Apple Store to buy any colours of AirPods Max. Looks like gen 2 is imminent!

I saw an article that mentioned in might just be refresh / adding new colors vs a full gen 2...but hopefully we'll find out soon. I just bought my Max's a couple of months ago, so I wouldn't be super excited if a gen 2 was announced, lol😭

Still, there has to be some reason why order wait times on the Max's have all changed...

MacinTosh.0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
I doubt there’s a 2nd one coming soon. The lack of inventory most likely means there was a chip shortage and they’re playing catch up the AirPods Max. I’d say we see a version 2 at the end of 2024. We’ll see how long my comment ages though LOL

Hatchy87

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2023
The max were coming for 23% off new pairs on amazon Canada, had pink ordered but if I checked like every hour eventually it took 5 days but caught 2 pairs of silver also 23% off and bought 2. I wanted blue or grey but for 23% I wasn't going to complain. Will be using for landscaping work on Pacific Northwest weather. Have headband cover and ear cup covers coming so they will be dirty but hopefully not right away. Will report how it works using for labour work in cold and hot weather. Won't wear in the rain, super hot or super cold days though.

Hatchy87

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2023
I bought a second pair of new silver AirPods from amazon and fulfilled by amazon, not a reseller or warehouse deals.

Anyway it was new, but a few issues.

The item still had the apple plastic pull tag on the box and plastic wrap unopened, no signs of use, but the warranty was set to expire nov 25, 2023. So I am assuming someone may have bought and returned unopened a couple months ago? Battery wasn't dead and all the parts in the box looked as if never opened, no Apple ID attached or anything.

I also have apple care with these, amazon has a check box to buy it, but I ended up buying separately after I made the AirPods max order. Amazon said it would auto pair with the purchase, it did not.

When it complained to amazon, just asking for help, they gave me $120, then we talked to apple and apple guided me on how to insert a text post onto my digital amazon receipt and type in the AirPods serial number, so its covered with apple care now.

On my first pair I ordered, I checked the apple care box and the dates are correct.

So anyway I have 2 hopefully new pairs of AirPods max off amazon with apple care now, 1 pair 23% off and 1 with over 40% off.

Just make sure you don't try to buy AppleCare off amazon as a separate purchase, because it doesn't seem to work very well.

**I will say I have heard other accounts of amazon instantly offering 20% off to keep your AirPods max, if they think you are trying to return them. They did also offer to send out another pair too, asking us to send the other pair back. So service was good I would say. But I wanted the money since I was able to get AppleCare set up.

Last edited:
Reactions: robotica

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
The delivery dates gets pushed out. Apple store now lists 1st or 2nd week of March for all but 1 color and most resellers are completely out of stock. Hm, I can't help wondering if generation 2 is coming out or if it is just shipping delays.

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
The delivery dates gets pushed out. Apple store now lists 1st or 2nd week of March for all but 1 color and most resellers are completely out of stock. Hm, I can't help wondering if generation 2 is coming out or if it is just shipping delays.
The delays are insane on these. We have several Apple Stores in my area, and only Space Gray is available for pickup today at only one store within 150 miles. If I'm willing to drive 180 miles I could get Blue.

I thought "supply chain" issues were behind us - does Apple just not sell enough of these to ramp up production? I wouldn't think APM are built on the same assembly lines as many of their other (higher demand) produces like iPhones, etc. It makes me think a refresh could happen...soon-ish.

Just put USB-C on them and I'll pay $549.

Hatchy87

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2023
The delays are insane on these. We have several Apple Stores in my area, and only Space Gray is available for pickup today at only one store within 150 miles. If I'm willing to drive 180 miles I could get Blue.

I thought "supply chain" issues were behind us - does Apple just not sell enough of these to ramp up production? I wouldn't think APM are built on the same assembly lines as many of their other (higher demand) produces like iPhones, etc. It makes me think a refresh could happen...soon-ish.

Just put USB-C on them and I'll pay $549.

what the heck is usbc? mine has a USB port I can connect from a MacBook Air and share it

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
what the heck is usbc? mine has a USB port I can connect from a MacBook Air and share it
The port you use to connect APM to any charging source is an Apple Lightning connector. There's much talk of Apple adopting USB-C (a different type of port that would replace Apple's Lightning connector) across all its devices, so I could be patient and wait or buy now and get product with a seemingly-soon-to-be-obsolete-port/connector.

Hatchy87

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2023
The port you use to connect APM to any charging source is an Apple Lightning connector. There's much talk of Apple adopting USB-C (a different type of port that would replace Apple's Lightning connector) across all its devices, so I could be patient and wait or buy now and get product with a seemingly-soon-to-be-obsolete-port/connector.
is it superior? these cables will always be around

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The wait times here in the UK are pushed until March for in store pick up, however online orders are between 25th Feb to 4th March. I do wonder if there will be a get 2 soon.

zman5

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2011
London
The wait times here in the UK are pushed until March for in store pick up, however online orders are between 25th Feb to 4th March. I do wonder if there will be a get 2 soon.
I managed to get some on Amazon that are ‘renewed’ for around £100 less. Been a few days and they sound great. No noticeable issues with the hardware either.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I managed to get some on Amazon that are ‘renewed’ for around £100 less. Been a few days and they sound great. No noticeable issues with the hardware either.
They often go on sale on Amazon and they are new. I got mine brand new from Amazon last year for £434

Reactions: zman5

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Well I decided to take a chance and buy AirPods Max in Space Grey. Amazing headphones! Active noise cancelling is so cool! There was a delay in shipping if bought from Apple, but Argos had them for next day delivery.

I guess if a Gen 2 now get announced you can all thank me! ;)

virtualmase

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2022
Well I decided to take a chance and buy AirPods Max in Space Grey. Amazing headphones! Active noise cancelling is so cool! There was a delay in shipping if bought from Apple, but Argos had them for next day delivery.

I guess if a Gen 2 now get announced you can all thank me! ;)
better be listening to ASOT with those tranceking

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
Question for UK users...

Anyone know how often Amazon UK restock APMs? I've been waiting to buy a set in silver but I haven't seen them in stock for weeks since I started looking. I have to use Amazon as I have a £200 gift card balance. Always seems to be plenty of stock for other colours, just never silver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.