Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Poorly thought out article? It appears to be factually based. £75 to replace the battery in each airpod? These things are disposable then.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Poorly thought out article? It appears to be factually based. £75 to replace the battery in each airpod? These things are disposable then.

""What's striking I think about this is more that, because the Airpod is so small and doesn't have a cable, it's going to be easier to lose," he told the BB"

It's "striking" that something small would be easier to lost than something that is not? STOP THE PRESSES!

It's somehow surprising that a charge would be incurred for replacing something you've lost?

There is literally no new information in this "article" whatsoever.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
""What's striking I think about this is more that, because the Airpod is so small and doesn't have a cable, it's going to be easier to lose," he told the BB"

It's "striking" that something small would be easier to lost than something that is not? STOP THE PRESSES!

It's somehow surprising that a charge would be incurred for replacing something you've lost?

There is literally no new information in this "article" whatsoever.

I'm sure there are some people out there who need portable wireless earphones. However for the vast majority of us the battery life, sound quality, ease of loss and let's face it the price make these airbuds a pointless turkey.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Making a decision based on someone else's review? Also, how dare Apple charge for a lost item! (Detect sarcasm). Sheesh.

You aren't holding these airbuds, they aren't strapped to your body and they aren't physically connected to your phone. They are hanging in the outer portion of the ear canal and due to their undeniably weak attachment to the body people are going to lose these things whilst running for a tube or when someone brushes past them (or purposefully steals them from your ear). Apple should factor affordable single replacements into their marketing spiel because the design shouts that people are going to lose airbuds.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
For those that are concerned about losing an airbud , just stick a tile to it. Then all ya need to do is say: Hey Siri, where's my airpod. Easy peasy.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
You aren't holding these airbuds, they aren't strapped to your body and they aren't physically connected to your phone. They are hanging in the outer portion of the ear canal and due to their undeniably weak attachment to the body people are going to lose these things whilst running for a tube or when someone brushes past them (or purposefully steals them from your ear). Apple should factor affordable single replacements into their marketing spiel because the design shouts that people are going to lose airbuds.
Same goes for ALL competing brands. Doubt they do it.

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

That is if the battery goes bad - Apple has similar things available for iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. It isn't to say that after a year that your battery will go to ****, that is not how they designed the product. It is more of an "if your battery needs replacing", be it from normal wear and tear, bad battery, too many cycles, being in very hot and unfavorable environments etc. Mind you, they will replace/fix it for free of charge during warranty period.

https://www.bragi.com/shop/gb_en/

Bragi do replacement earpods too, at 129 euro's. The whole package (with charger, slide and cable) is 299 euro's.

Reactions: vito and Shark5150

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The dongle for connecting one's ear/headphones to the new iPhones is rather small, I haven't lost that yet.
[doublepost=1481897205][/doublepost]
I agree. Sony for instance. I just think the whole wireless earbud market is a pointless moneygrab from manufacturers who are struggling to innovate.

Headphones not wired can still be bulky and uncomfortable, earbuds that are wired always get yanked out of my ears since I am active while using them.

I have tried totally wireless earbuds and I returned them for one reason or another. BUT having no wires at all, PRICELESS and that would never be the reason no matter which I end up going with.

Reactions: Canadia69

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm sure there are some people out there who need portable wireless earphones. However for the vast majority of us the battery life, sound quality, ease of loss and let's face it the price make these airbuds a pointless turkey.
They're less expensive than the other truly wireless competitors.

No one said Airpods were for you if they don't fit your needs so I'm not sure why the underlined matters at all here.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I was already unconvinced due to sound quality and battery life, but after reading this article I'm definitely out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38340748
then why are you making a thread about it?
[doublepost=1481899737][/doublepost]
what do you expect? then to replace it for free if you lose it?

would you expect apple to give you a good price if you lose your phone?

If you are that clumsy that you would lose these things then you don't buy them. If one fell out you would know as music would stop playing and when they aren't in use they should be in the case

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
you don't buy apple headphone for sound quality.
they are ok, even good for average consumers.

if you want to go to sound quality territory, there are lot of big brands, b&w Sennheiser etc. but that is IMHO another sub-category in headphone market. you won't even go for wireless headphone if you really want the best sound quality.

it's like you don't judge a super car by how many people it can seat.

Reactions: Canadia69

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I went to a cash point this morning and got £300 out, the money was not fitted with fasteners and I lost it. I went back to the bank to get a replacement, I was was shocked when they asked for £300 to replace the £300. I think they should have given a discount like Apple do on their Airpods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.