Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I can't believe no one is mentioning the poor noise cancellation of the EarPods (and probably AirPods as well). Hence, they are not designed for every occasion. I like using my EarPods while running, but has anyone tried listening to music with EarPods while using public transportation or basically in any kind of enviornment where there is one person around you talking?
This is the main reason why they are not worth $159 to me. If I pay $159 for a pair of headphones, I want to use them at any time of the day, for anything I do.

Yeah they don't have any NC but that is missing on the regular EarPods too and I see them everywhere. I work at an airport and there is at least two customers per hour with regular EarPods and five with crappy cheap ass earphones for a fiver. They don't seem to care. On the other hand I see Bose QC at least three times per hour too since they have excellent NC and are perfect headphones for a flight.

To be honest I have only used Apples earphones I got with my iPod mini. What was that 2002?

Im guessing they have improved since then.

The ones I got with the iPhone 6 and 7 is unused since I just can't stand cables.

Reactions: AppleRobert

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
Would really like to buy 'em - but the costs for replacing the battery on each of the AirPods + case are completely beyond me. I really like the og AirPods. Fit nicely and sound suprisingly well. But the battery costs are something I can't accept.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I can't believe no one is mentioning the poor noise cancellation of the EarPods (and probably AirPods as well). Hence, they are not designed for every occasion. I like using my EarPods while running, but has anyone tried listening to music with EarPods while using public transportation or basically in any kind of enviornment where there is one person around you talking?
This is the main reason why they are not worth $159 to me. If I pay $159 for a pair of headphones, I want to use them at any time of the day, for anything I do.

That was my worry but then I read about someone trying the Airpods while on a treadmill in a gym, which are quite noisy environments. They stated they couldn't hear the gym. Is it possible the increased weight and wireless nature of the Airpods allow better fitting/closer contact, which isolate and block more noise? We already know they go louder so that could attribute to it, but YMMV.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
No thanks. It appears you have to:
  1. Take the tether off to charge them.
  2. Store it somewhere safe and handy while you charge them.
  3. And then put it back on before wearing them.

That destroys the convenience of quickly popping the AirPods in your ears or in the charging case. And you now have a bit of 'wire' dragging on the back of your neck while you're wearing them. Might as well just buy $50 plantronics backbeats from Costco.

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

That destroys the convenience of quickly popping the AirPods in your ears or in the charging case. And you now have a bit of 'wire' dragging on the back of your neck while you're wearing them. Might as well just buy $50 plantronics backbeats from Costco.

Looks like it wraps around the charging case.

airpod_strap_detail_02_white.jpg

Reactions: Arran

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Shock horror! If you lose something, they don't replace it for free?

£65 a piece isn't bad, they could just say "screw you, buy a new set". Given they have equal lost charges, at £159, retail price would be £53/piece. So they're effectively charging £12 for shipping and admin - I'd say that's perfectly fair.

Reactions: Arran

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Think we know what Apple's next product is :).
Now that, I might buy. Not necessarily to wear. More just to watch it magically wrapping! :)

I still enjoy the satisfying snap of a iPad cover attaching itself, or a MagSafe connector finding it's home. Those are just brilliant solutions that make life easier.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
So you disparage against him with Snark comments about him being a newbie or trying to "Promote" himself. You likely didn't even click on the link and it's actually a really good review. Your ignorance and condescending tone are becoming of you and un-necessary. The only one trying to get noticed on here negatively, is you.

It would seem the moderators didn't like his spamming either as his posts have been removed. Odd that you disagree with the moderators on here. :rolleyes:

No I didn't click on his link because that was what he was wanting with his spamming.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Would really like to buy 'em - but the costs for replacing the battery on each of the AirPods + case are completely beyond me. I really like the og AirPods. Fit nicely and sound suprisingly well. But the battery costs are something I can't accept.

I can't imagine that by the time the battery wears out in a set of AirPods that there wouldn't be a better version we would all want to upgrade to.
[doublepost=1482160224][/doublepost]

I have a pair of bluetooth headphones with a hook over the air and a strap like that around the back of the neck. It works great to super securely hold and protect the headphones for sports / workouts (which is my use case) but I can't imagine why in the world you would buy a set of AirPods only to turn them into the cheap $60 and below headsets with a strap. The whole point of the AirPods is the individual buds so if you don't like / trust those then just buy something else. If you want the Apple W1 chip "magic" then just get the BeatsX in February which is a "earbud + thin strap" design out of the box.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I can't imagine that by the time the battery wears out in a set of AirPods that there wouldn't be a better version we would all want to upgrade to.
[doublepost=1482160224][/doublepost]

I have a pair of bluetooth headphones with a hook over the air and a strap like that around the back of the neck. It works great to super securely hold and protect the headphones for sports / workouts (which is my use case) but I can't imagine why in the world you would buy a set of AirPods only to turn them into the cheap $60 and below headsets with a strap. The whole point of the AirPods is the individual buds so if you don't like / trust those then just buy something else. If you want the Apple W1 chip "magic" then just get the BeatsX in February which is a "earbud + thin strap" design out of the box.

1) Some people may not want to wait till February, and even then it might be March/April. Nothing is certain
2) Beats-X doesn't have the charging case

There are some who prefer the Beats-X form and wanted to buy it - but Air Pods with the strap might make an attractive compromise for those who aren't willing to wait, want the charging case, or just prefer the sound signature/form of the Ear Pods.

Reactions: Mr.C

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
As many others have stated, I can't wait to try them out on the NYC subway later today and see how well they do in a noisy environment. I was using Shures 425's prior to picking up the AirPods this morning. The greatest thing about them was the seal they create in the ear, and the lack of background noise that gets through. I really do hope the AirPods fare well as I'd love to have a versatile and quality pair of headphones for every day use.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I don't get the rage....

If you don't like them, don't buy them..

I do not expect stellar sound from any $159 pair of BT headphones.. The price is actually fairly cheap all things considered and compared to other high end BT headsets.

As far as loosing them, plenty of places on eBay are selling straps for like $3 that will make them look more like traditional BT earbuds and might keep you from loosing one, or both..

Who expects Apple to replace one if lost? I'll give Apple credit for selling replacements individually. They could have just sold the set, so if you lose one you'd have to buy again as a set and at full price.

I don't know.. I don't have mine yet and the tracking # says they've ben delayed (???) so I can't comment completely on them yet.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I don't get the rage....

If you don't like them, don't buy them..

I do not expect stellar sound from any $159 pair of BT headphones.. The price is actually fairly cheap all things considered and compared to other high end BT headsets.

As far as loosing them, plenty of places on eBay are selling straps for like $3 that will make them look more like traditional BT earbuds and might keep you from loosing one, or both..

Who expects Apple to replace one if lost? I'll give Apple credit for selling replacements individually. They could have just sold the set, so if you lose one you'd have to buy again as a set and at full price.

I don't know.. I don't have mine yet and the tracking # says they've ben delayed (???) so I can't comment completely on them yet.

You won't get stellar sound either, and I doubt they'll sound any better than the earbuds that are included with new phones. The extra financial outlay goes towards batteries and wireless tech, not sound quality.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
You won't get stellar sound either, and I doubt they'll sound any better than the earbuds that are included with new phones. The extra financial outlay goes towards batteries and wireless tech, not sound quality.

If they sound as good as the earbuds then I'll be happy...
[doublepost=1482181908][/doublepost]

I snagged a pair of those from eBay for mine.. I generally won't use the strap except for when running or working out..

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
AirPods are really looking enticing, but I just got Powerbeats 3 and I feel they serve almost the same purpose. It looks like one ear listening on the AirPods would be way more convenient though

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
AirPods are really looking enticing, but I just got Powerbeats 3 and I feel they serve almost the same purpose. It looks like one ear listening on the AirPods would be way more convenient though

I am actually going to return my Airpods today and try the PB3. I am one of those unfortunate enough not to have a very secure fit - I wouldn't be able to trust the Airpods during gym work outs or even running :(.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I am actually going to return my Airpods today and try the PB3. I am one of those unfortunate enough not to have a very secure fit - I wouldn't be able to trust the Airpods during gym work outs or even running :(.

You won't be disappointed with the PB3, they're really solid.

Reactions: Ma2k5

kingofkings11

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2016
I'm really hoping they sound good on calls. I'm on calls all day long and that is where the Bragi Dash let me down.

You may want to look into getting a replacement for the Bragi Dash. I've heard of several instances where people were getting abismal call quality and it was attributed to defective units.

Check out Flossy Carter's review on the updated Bragi 2.2 software he talks about the call quality issues he was facing.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I've always been happy with the EarPods, and I can say honestly (while it's not a dramatic improvement) these Airpods a noticeably clearer in the highs and mids, and provide an ever so slight uptick in bass performance in my first 12 hours of listening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.