Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mixolyd

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2014
Oregon
Same. I am quite annoyed. The main featured I loved was the ability to sync multiple emails accounts to ONE account ... across multiple devices. Does anyone know of another mail app that can do that?

I have switched to Missive which does this, and seems to have every feature that Newton had (except for the priority inbox which they are working on). It's not just an email app and is focused on team communication, so I use it also with my wife for our small business. Works quite well. If you need JUST email, it would still work but price ways may be too expensive. I'm willing to pay it given that there's such a paucity of good Mail apps that do what I need

NevilleB

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Durban, South Africa
I have switched to Missive which does this, and seems to have every feature that Newton had (except for the priority inbox which they are working on). It's not just an email app and is focused on team communication, so I use it also with my wife for our small business. Works quite well. If you need JUST email, it would still work but price ways may be too expensive. I'm willing to pay it given that there's such a paucity of good Mail apps that do what I need

Thanks for mentioning Missive, which I had never heard of before!

I was an great fan of Newton Mail and was devastated when they decided to cull it and I have since been looking for a worthy successor, but I think I have found it in Missive.

I don’t need the team communication aspect of it, as I am a sole self-employed person, but I love the simplicity of it with uniformity across all my devices, including fonts, which I had only found in Newton before.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
According to Spark, they will be releasing dark mode tomorrow.

Unfortunately only MacOS not available on iOS. Hopefully they will add it there as well.

Astro app is acquired by Slack and will be discontinued in October.

Such a shame we lost another great e-mail app. There is not much 3rd party e-mail apps left on iOS with seriously good features you actually want. Since Spark's search and stability is quite good I now switched back to them but I still find it really annoying that you still have to scroll down in a long e-mail to see the attachments that is something that Astro, EdisonMail and Outlook all do offer to show it above a message.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Astro app is acquired by Slack and will be discontinued in October.

That's really a shame. I tried Astro when it was originally released and I enjoyed the UI (truth be told, I've probably used almost every email app available in the App Store and always go back to the Apple Mail app).

It looks like Astro has been pulled from the App Store since it's not coming up when I search for it.

tchoui

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
Was using edison for the html signature/photo but for some reason it doesnt work anymore.

The photo as 25kb only...

Edit: reduzing the photo was the soluting

Last edited:

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
Dont know if this has been mentioned before, everyone gives outlook for ios great reviews but the app does not support sending attachments from the native files app on ios .
Why would microsoft not support the native files app when it supports google and dropbox ?
Otherwise a great app but this is a big negative

Reactions: iMi and jalyst

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Dont know if this has been mentioned before, everyone gives outlook for ios great reviews but the app does not support sending attachments from the native files app on ios .
Why would microsoft not support the native files app when it supports google and dropbox ?
I'd never noticed this before but yes you are correct.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

Primary reason why I immediately abandoned it. I still hope to some day stop using office products all together... On the other hand, mail app on both iOS and macOS is lacking in many aspects.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Primary reason why I immediately abandoned it. I still hope to some day stop using office products all together... On the other hand, mail app on both iOS and macOS is lacking in many aspects.

I just recently switched again back from Spark to Apple's own mail app just to try it out but I don't like a few things.
- that within iOS12.1 you still have to click in an e-mail and scroll through a list of options to attach e.g. a photo (in the e-mail only argh) or cloud storage why not have an attachment icon straigh away like on the iPad :(
- the amount of new e-mails is quite often not indicated as a badge icon although I set it in the Settings like that for all my e-mail accounts. I also have quite often to scroll down to refresh to know for sure if there are new e-mails.

Offtopic: I also think it's quite annoying that on the 'Updates' tab on the App Store you now also need to scroll down to refresh to see if there are app updates. Why not give the option to keep it as it was in iOS10 and before.

trikotret

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2015
I'm still using Newton mail app. They said it was going to shut down on Sept 25. It's still breathing. Anyone else using the app and still going? Only thing I can think of why it's still alive could be due to a purchase in process. I googled and can't find any info why app is still alive.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm still using Newton mail app. They said it was going to shut down on Sept 25. It's still breathing. Anyone else using the app and still going? Only thing I can think of why it's still alive could be due to a purchase in process. I googled and can't find any info why app is still alive.

Hmm, that is very odd. As soon as I heard they were shutting it down, I went back to the stock mail app on both my iPhone and iPad. Strange that it's still working over a month after it was supposed to be shut down.

Reactions: max2

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
I tried several times a while back, to migrate from TB (Thunderbird) to Outlook.
MS/Office Support were utterly useless in helping me with that process.

Do the makers of Spark (Readdle) make a much better tool/procedures for that?
I would like to migrate everything, folder hierarchy, the whole shebang.
A google query like: "how to migrate from thunderbird to spark" gives me zilch.

Does Spark have much in the way of expandability/extensibility like TB?
Not that I use lots of that kind of stuff...

Does Spark integrate with apps/services like Todoist much better than TB?

I'd prolly stay with Mozilla/TB if they also aggressively supported mobile platforms.
But since they're heavily desktop focused, I think it's way past time I made the jump.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I have never used the functionality of apps/services like Todoist with Spark other then attaching files from Dropbox or Google Drive which works great with Spark. For a list of third party services check here and here. For more info I would advice you to read their website to see if there is more info on the things you are asking here.

Some services you can connect to with Spark:
Reminders by Apple, Things, 2Do, OmniFocus, Wunderlist, Todoist, Trello, Asana, Evernote, OneNote, and Bear.

Cloud storage:
Dropbox, Box, iCloud Drive, OneDrive, Evernote, and Google Drive

I'm not familiar with migrating things from Thunderbird or any other e-mail service. I just login with my e-mail accounts in Spark or any other e-mail app and ready to go.

Reactions: max2 and jalyst

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
For more info I would advice you to read their website to see if there is more info on the things you are asking here. <SNIP> I'm not familiar with migrating things from Thunderbird or any other e-mail service.

Thanks bud, I've just emailed readdle the following:

I tried several times a while back, to migrate from TB (Thunderbird) to Outlook.
MS/Office Support were utterly useless in helping me with that process.

Do the makers of Spark (Readdle) have a much better tool &or procedures for that?
I would like to migrate everything, folder hierarchy, the whole shebang.
A google query like: "how to migrate from thunderbird to spark" gives me zilch.

Does Spark have much in the way of expandability/extensibility like TB?
Not that I use lots of that kind of stuff...

Does Spark integrate with apps/services like Todoist much better than TB?

I'd probably stay with Mozilla/TB if they also aggressively supported mobile platforms.
But since they're heavily desktop focused, I think it's way past time I made the jump.

Is your desktop app at feature parity (or even more feature packed) with you mobile apps?
Is it MacOS only? Is your mobile app iOS only? I really need Android support too (ideally at feature parity).
I can probably get away with not having Windows 10 support, but it's not "ideal"

Hopefully they'll be able to help me with ALL of my Qns/points!

Thanks again, & all the best.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned here but I have to say I'm blown away by Email (Edison Mail).

I've been having issues with Apple Mail app and my iCloud emails since iOS 12 so I tried out a few (Outlook, Spark etc..) but then I came across a post from Walt Mossberg recommending Email, and I have to say after trying it out this past week, for me it takes the cake. I have my iCloud (including aliases), Gmail and Outlook accounts and they're all working perfectly now.

It's the closest app to the default mail app but with all the features I've been missing. You can even opt out of data sharing which is great. It's also free.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
It’s still working because it doesn’t need their database. If anything goes wrong (for me it was my iPad thinking I needed to re-login to Newton), it will stop working. You can’t re-login, you can’t set up new accounts, you can’t move it to new devices even if you install from a backup.

I kept using it on my phone until I got a new phone (last week). Now I’m at a loss as every other app I’ve tried has some problem that makes it unusable for me.
[doublepost=1544207290][/doublepost]
Speaking of Newton Mail, does anyone know how to permanently delete the Newton folder that it created? I keep deleting the folder from Spark and it keeps coming back.
You may have to delete it directly with your email provider (ie, if you have gmail, log into your gmail account and delete them there).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.