Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I like Edison as well, but have found the badge to be completely unreliable. I'll have 10 unread messages and the badge will show 6. I read one and it goes to 7. A new message comes in and it's back at 10. Crazy.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I like Edison as well, but have for the badge to be completely unreliable. I'll have 10 unread messages and the badge will show 6. I read one and it goes to 7. A new message comes in and it's back at 10. Crazy.

I had the exact same problem with AirMail but then when I did a fresh install of iOS it fixed it!

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I like Edison as well, but have found the badge to be completely unreliable. I'll have 10 unread messages and the badge will show 6. I read one and it goes to 7. A new message comes in and it's back at 10. Crazy.
That’s weird. I’ve never had Edison Mail do that, and I have three separate accounts set up in a unified inbox (iCloud, gmail and outlook.com accounts).

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I think it has to do with the unread email view (which I almost always use). If I look at that view and read an email, it seems to stay there (should go away) and mess with the count. I notified Edison and they said they're aware of the issue.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Then you should let Edison know. Here's the quote from the email I sent about the issue:

"Thanks for messaging us, and we’re sorry you’re running into this problem. We’re aware of these issues with the badge icon (and snoozed messages), and we’re currently working on a fix in hopes of resolving it with upcoming releases.

We appreciate your feedback, patience, and understanding while we work to improve our app!

Best,"

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Newton is back? No joke? Same ownership?

The parent company (CloudMagic) got bought out by Essential and the app relaunched. It’s exactly the same, even dropped the yearly subscription back down to $49.99, rather than $99.99. Only difference I’ve noticed is they’ve remove location/device from read receipts, but they said they had to for GDPR compliance.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The parent company (CloudMagic) got bought out by Essential and the app relaunched. It’s exactly the same, even dropped the yearly subscription back down to $49.99, rather than $99.99. Only difference I’ve noticed is they’ve remove location/device from read receipts, but they said they had to for GDPR compliance.
New add-ons for the iOS app.

Ability to delete a single mail in a thread, support for "mark unread from here," support for task managers such as OmniFocus, Things, 2doapp and Bear, and the option to add GIFs via Giphy's iPhone keyboard.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
New add-ons for the iOS app.

Ability to delete a single mail in a thread, support for "mark unread from here," support for task managers such as OmniFocus, Things, 2doapp and Bear, and the option to add GIFs via Giphy's iPhone keyboard.

Their new privacy policy is pretty bad though, for a paid service!

https://newtonhq.com/k/privacypolicy

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Yup, I said it in the other thread. Deplorable privacy policy for a subscription app; I assume it was NOT like this before.

We may share your information as follows and as otherwise described in this Privacy Policy:
  • With vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need such information to perform services on our behalf (such as to send emails or process payments for us);
  • Between and among CloudMagic and any current or future parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and other companies under common control and ownership;
We may work with third-party social platforms, such as Facebook, to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign, unless you notify us that you prefer not to have information about you used in this way by sending an email to notices@newtonhq.com indicating the email address you wish to have removed from customized ad campaigns.

All for $49.99/year with already questionable business model stability going under once now.

Sorry but that privacy policy is as vague as the free ones and paying to have Crapbook ads, or anywhere near an email app, is shameful to slip in there.

Last edited:

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
In case anyone still sleeping, Newton mail is back for 49 a year.
Ooooh!
[doublepost=1549488176][/doublepost]
Yup, I said it in the other thread. Deplorable privacy policy for a subscription app; I assume it was NOT like this before.

We may share your information as follows and as otherwise described in this Privacy Policy:
  • With vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need such information to perform services on our behalf (such as to send emails or process payments for us);
  • Between and among CloudMagic and any current or future parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and other companies under common control and ownership;
We may work with third-party social platforms, such as Facebook, to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign, unless you notify us that you prefer not to have information about you used in this way by sending an email to notices@newtonhq.com indicating the email address you wish to have removed from customized ad campaigns.

All for $49.99/year with already questionable business model stability going under once now.

Sorry but that privacy policy is as vague as the free ones and paying to have Crapbook ads, or anywhere near an email app, is shameful to slip in there.
Wait, they want us to pay $50 a year and still get ads? What fresh hell is this? Is anyone using it and seeing ads?

Reactions: 1144557

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
No, not seeing ads so far. And, I reached out and asked about the "selling data to Facebook" concern and was told that they don't sell any data to third parties. So, I'm not sure what to think— it's either a badly written policy or bad actual policy.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
No, not seeing ads so far. And, I reached out and asked about the "selling data to Facebook" concern and was told that they don't sell any data to third parties. So, I'm not sure what to think— it's either a badly written policy or bad actual policy.

Or the more likely choice C; like the Wizard of Oz they just dont want you to look behind the curtain. The policy is written for a reason, like GDRP by law, so I highly doubt the policy written by a lawyer with legal implications is wrong. The more likely answer is they are lying to you.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
"We may work with third-party social platforms, such as Facebook, to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign, unless you notify us that you prefer not to have information about you used in this way by sending an email to notices@newtonhq.com indicating the email address you wish to have removed from customized ad campaigns."

If they are working with Facebook and who knows who else to serve you ads (whether you see them or not right now) that means they have, or will very soon enter into a financial agreement with said company to make your information available to them through the service.

There is a reason they put "may" into the TOS.

The TOS basically gives them license to share your information with just about everybody they do business (or have some kind of vague affiliation with directly or indirectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1144557

trikotret

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2015
Hmmmmm. So they got bought out and now there are new policies in place. I always loved this app but if Facebook going to be in the picture, I'm out. If I'm going to pay 50 a year, I don't want to see ads or get junk mail. Sigh

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Hmmmmm. So they got bought out and now there are new policies in place. I always loved this app but if Facebook going to be in the picture, I'm out. If I'm going to pay 50 a year, I don't want to see ads or get junk mail. Sigh
You can email them and say you want to opt out. However, I don't think I would trust them.

Last night I was looking forward to using Newton again. After reading the new policy, I quickly nixed that idea.

trikotret

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2015
You can email them and say you want to opt out. However, I don't think I would trust them.

Last night I was looking forward to using Newton again. After reading the new policy, I quickly nixed that idea.

I read the privacy policy again and I'm not thrilled. BTW I never deleted their app after they announced their shut down. Their so kept on working for me since I'm subscribed until next month. It makes sense now when their app got updated, new privacy pop-up showed up. Had to agree to it before being able to load app.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Yeah... think I’ll stick with Spark until I see how this all shakes out. I deleted all FB related accounts — Having my email sold to them is a no go for me.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
"We may work with third-party social platforms, such as Facebook, to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign, unless you notify us that you prefer not to have information about you used in this way by sending an email to notices@newtonhq.com indicating the email address you wish to have removed from customized ad campaigns."

If they are working with Facebook and who knows who else to serve you ads (whether you see them or not right now) that means they have, or will very soon enter into a financial agreement with said company to make your information available to them through the service.

There is a reason they put "may" into the TOS.

The TOS basically gives them license to share your information with just about everybody they do business (or have some kind of vague affiliation with directly or indirectly.
This used to be Gmail’s free account policy until several years ago when people got upset and they changed it. Even Google has never sold email data from paid accounts. This is gross.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.