Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I've always used either Gmail or Inbox.. Gmail now because Inbox is on it's way out. That's for my regular emails/programming business. I use the default built in Mail for my 9 to 5 "work" job. And finally Outlook for my super old hotmail account that I only use with my Xbox. But after seeing changes to outlook recently I really want to move all my gmail accounts to that and move my hotmail to my gmail app. It sounds dumb, but I really just love the feel of the new Outlook application. I just don't know how the whole privacy thing works with Microsoft vs Google. Not that I have anything really to hide in my emails, good grief I'm as boring as they come.. but you know.. just to be safe. I've tried third party email apps in the past but so many issues with privacy has really put me off on those. I say this and I'm one of the guys who loves Google WIFI at my home/business.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I've always used either Gmail or Inbox.. Gmail now because Inbox is on it's way out. That's for my regular emails/programming business. I use the default built in Mail for my 9 to 5 "work" job. And finally Outlook for my super old hotmail account that I only use with my Xbox. But after seeing changes to outlook recently I really want to move all my gmail accounts to that and move my hotmail to my gmail app. It sounds dumb, but I really just love the feel of the new Outlook application. I just don't know how the whole privacy thing works with Microsoft vs Google. Not that I have anything really to hide in my emails, good grief I'm as boring as they come.. but you know.. just to be safe. I've tried third party email apps in the past but so many issues with privacy has really put me off on those. I say this and I'm one of the guys who loves Google WIFI at my home/business.

I cannot figure out why the Gmail app is so popular other than its "push" notifications

You can't even attach a file from any other source but Google Drive; even Apple has let you do that for how long in their mail app? EVERY other mail app lets you too. Perish the though I want to attach a Dropbox file.

Reactions: DenalB

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I cannot figure out why the Gmail app is so popular other than its "push" notifications

You can't even attach a file from any other source but Google Drive; even Apple has let you do that for how long in their mail app? EVERY other mail app lets you too. Perish the though I want to attach a Dropbox file.
I just use gmail app because of my gmail accounts. So hand in hand type of thing. I don't attach files to emails so I never have that issue. I really do think I'm going to switch over to Outlook, I just need to read about their privacy policies.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I just use gmail app because of my gmail accounts. So hand in hand type of thing. I don't attach files to emails so I never have that issue. I really do think I'm going to switch over to Outlook, I just need to read about their privacy policies.

I've never read anything about the Outlook app that was based in rational thought; other than conspiracy theories (and businesses who run their own servers and their right to have their employees not share passwords with any app out there).

Yes, they store your passwords, and they manage how many Fortune 500 and global business email accounts on Office 365/exchage? Hundreds of millions of accounts? Last number I saw in fall was 155 million users.

They aren't a fly by night like a Sparrow or such going out of business tomorrow doing who knows what with your data. They make their money off 365 and paid services, they dont need to mine/sell your data for money.

Reactions: DenalB and tkukoc

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
For those interested, (or not) I emailed Newton about ads and the selling of data, and was point blankly told that there will be no ads in the app nor will any information be sold. Information will only be shared (when needed) in order to provide services.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
For those interested, (or not) I emailed Newton about ads and the selling of data, and was point blankly told that there will be no ads in the app nor will any information be sold. Information will only be shared (when needed) in order to provide services.

And they have no reason to lie right? Not for money, never no way.

Their privacy policy, the actual binding contract and terms of service, are abundantly clear.

"We may share your information as follows and as otherwise described in this Privacy Policy:
  • With vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need such information to perform services on our behalf (such as to send emails or process payments for us);
  • Between and among CloudMagic and any current or future parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and other companies under common control and ownership;
We may work with third-party social platforms, such as Facebook, to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign, unless you notify us that you prefer not to have information about you used in this way by sending an email to notices@newtonhq.com indicating the email address you wish to have removed from customized ad campaigns."

Reactions: jef82

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
And they have no reason to lie right? Not for money, never no way.

Their privacy policy, the actual binding contract and terms of service, are abundantly clear.

"We may share your information as follows and as otherwise described in this Privacy Policy:
  • With vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need such information to perform services on our behalf (such as to send emails or process payments for us);
  • Between and among CloudMagic and any current or future parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and other companies under common control and ownership;
We may work with third-party social platforms, such as Facebook, to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign, unless you notify us that you prefer not to have information about you used in this way by sending an email to notices@newtonhq.com indicating the email address you wish to have removed from customized ad campaigns."
I know what their privacy statement says. Another user contacted them and got the same kind of reply. I thought I would test the response by contacting them myself. I am merely passing on information I was given.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I know what their privacy statement says. Another user contacted them and got the same kind of reply. I thought I would test the response by contacting them myself. I am merely passing on information I was given.
I understand and I had the same response to the other person too.

It's hogwash, nonsense, BS, whatever you want to call it. They can say the earth is flat too but it doesnt make it true.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Serious question... You’ve come to a place that’s all about the sharing of information with the community yet, when somebody provides information that doesn’t conform to your view of the world, you seem to get very offended.

Nobody’s making a value judgment as to whether or not the information being provided by Essential/CloudMagic is accurate. We’re just relaying additional information to further inform the situation. I’m confused as to why that seems to be so offensive and cause such a reaction.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Serious question... You’ve come to a place that’s all about the sharing of information with the community yet, when somebody provides information that doesn’t conform to your view of the world, you seem to get very offended.

Nobody’s making a value judgment as to whether or not the information being provided by Essential/CloudMagic is accurate. We’re just relaying additional information to further inform the situation. I’m confused as to why that seems to be so offensive and cause such a reaction.

Oh puhlease. This is the same nonsense as "no mom I really did not take that candy from the store" when there is a videotape showing it. What they claim is wholly irrelevant.

That is not "information," it's a self-serving nonsense statement by the company in direct contradiction to its own published policy. And spreading self-serving company statements to the community is simply dangerous when the privacy policy that is binding is clear and says otherwise. (as dangerous as MR posting this with zero talk of intermediary servers or privacy concerns using 3rd party email apps.)

The privacy policy is the ONLY binding agreement at play; period do not pass go or collect $200. That is why it exists and is posted to read per GDPR and other legal requirements. What they claim in contradiction to that is 100% meaningless.

Last edited:

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
You make some good points. However, the way you make them is so obnoxious that I can’t imagine to many people continuing to read through to find the salient arguments amongst the venom. Maybe calm down just a bit — nobody is accusing you personally of having a bad privacy policy.

Reactions: flur

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Great! :)

So back to topic... Where are all the Newton Lovers? Please give me reasons to switch to Newton. ;)
I used Newton because I need a lot of the features they provided and I really liked the look and feel of the app. And I could count on it to sync properly with gmail in most instances (though moving things to folders and archive was jacked). It’s basically Airmail without the bugs and a cleaner interface. But I’m not going to spend a bunch of time convincing you that you need an expensive subscription app that you don’t seem to need. If you have no issues with Edison, there’s no need to pay more for Newton.
[doublepost=1550252851][/doublepost]All the discussion of privacy has got me thinking about moving to ProtonMail. They’re more secure, offer end-to-end encryption, and are adding features all the time. I currently pay for two separate G Suite accounts, and the cost for their midrange subscription plan that lets me use my domains is about the same, but I want to be sure, I don’t want to move my stuff over and then have to move it back to G Suite as it’s much more of a production than just installing a new app.

Has anyone here used their service? Do emails display properly? How about aliases, signatures, attachments?

Reactions: DenalB

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
But I’m not going to spend a bunch of time convincing you that you need an expensive subscription app that you don’t seem to need. If you have no issues with Edison, there’s no need to pay more for Newton.
Thanks. Actually I love Edison and I think I will stay with this app. :)

Reactions: ATC

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I encountered a problem with Edison Email. I wanted to send a photo. So I opened the photo and sent it via share button. First I thought that the email was not send, because it didn't appear in Send Items. But it was send. After that I wanted to send a video but that was not possible. There was no share button for Edison Email and I was not able to add it. So I had to send the video with Apple Mail. :(

Now I think about a new mail app again...

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
What about AltaMail? I tried it for a little time but I wasn't convinced.
https://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/altamail.html

Also I tried Polymail but push didn't work for my tests. Edison showed new emails but Polymail did not show any. I had to open Polymail to get the new emails.
https://polymail.io/

What are your thoughts about these apps?

Polymail is a buggy piece of beep! I have a long running support issue as I have old phantom messages (from months/years ago) showing in the iOS sent folder, that aren't on the server or desktop app and can't be deleted. They haven't got a clue and they take days/weeks to reply to each support email regarding it.

Also, you can only update folders/tags through the desktop app, read receipt count is poorly implemented as it increases if you read the email from another client and it's slow at rendering emails.

Reactions: DenalB and jef82

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Again I tried other email apps. With Edison I get every notification so I compared the other apps with Edison and tried them together for some days.

First app was Spark. There are so many features I don't want to use. Also this Team feature is a feature that I don't need. Spark worked but often notifications came late or never. Also the calendar wasn't working for my account. Stock calendar works. I don't know why calendar is not working in Spark. But I remember some month ago I had this problem too with Spark.

Then I tried myMail. Notifications worked but there is no unified inbox which is a must have for me and my 8 email accounts. Support stated that this is a planned feature for the next months...

Also I tried AltaMail. Here you can customize nearly everything and if you get used to the app it's really fine. But for me there is a big show stopper: You only get notified about new emails if the app is opened in the background. You must not close the app. Otherwise it doesn't work anymore. So you have to open up AltaMail again to get new mails and get notified about them.

Canary Email still got notification problems for all of my accounts. I tried it again and after some hours I decided to delete the app.

Last one was Airmail which is really a good email app. I love Airmail. But some month ago I had problems with notifications and so I decided to use Edison. Now I tried Airmail again and it worked for some days and I used it as primary email app. But then there came an update and notifications didn't work anymore. Sometimes there were no notifications but Edison showed them. When opening Airmail new emails came 1 or 2 seconds after opening the app. Although there was an update which should fix the problem (Improved notifications) it wasn't fixed for me. So Airmail is gone from my iPhone again.

When testing all these apps Edison worked good for me. That's why I'm still with Edison Email. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.