Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Serious question here! Do any of these free email apps for iOS offer any privacy? I am interested in knowing which is the best to use.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Serious question here! Do any of these free email apps for iOS offer any privacy? I am interested in knowing which is the best to use.
I am far from a sucurity expert but I guess if any company stores email in their servers like Spark, Edison etc is a privacy concern. The 2 "Fat Ones" google and Microsoft is a different story as they are so big that they can monetize free emails acc with other sources, cloud computing, office 365, etc

If you are not too concern about privacy and security then Spark and Edison are good options but in my case I rather stay whithin google, microsoft and their apps.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I am far from a sucurity expert but I guess if any company stores email in their servers like Spark, Edison etc is a privacy concern. The 2 "Fat Ones" google and Microsoft is a different story as they are so big that they can monetize free emails acc with other sources, cloud computing, office 365, etc

If you are not too concern about privacy and security then Spark and Edison are good options but in my case I rather stay whithin google, microsoft and their apps.
That is my theory as well Google and Microsoft have paid email services paying the bills. They dont need to monetize the apps. The apps are to keep you in their ecosystem and use their email solutions (even if just 1 account).

As Newton showed, any of those companies can fail at any time and then what happens to your data being sold/stored? Into oblivion? And who can get their hands on the company assets/servers then (ie even a pissed off employee being laid off)?

That's a scary thought when you could be talking banking, taxes, website logins, etc. Even if you dont value your privacy generally.

Reactions: Kraizelburg

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
Wouldn’t opting out by emailing the address solve this?

I’ll admit I love Newton the app but surely they cannot have their cake and eat it.

At least their business model might work this time then!

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Agreed, oh yeh sure um yeh we took you off.

And why is it even there to begin with in a PAID app? The whole point of paid is no ads, no selling data.

If you cannot figure out how to operate on $50/year per user (times thousands/tens of thousands) your business model is going to fail yet again.

Last edited:

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I was reading this thread for some days now and I was wondering why you all love Newton Email. I wanted to try Newton Email when the subscription was 100$ a year but this was a little bit expensive to me for an email app.

So I went from iOS Mail to Spark, bought AirMail and Canary Email and tried lots of other email apps. Now Newton Email is back for 50$ a year and some of you are happy about that. But why? What makes Newton Email a better app than all the other apps?

Actually I'm using Edison Email and I love it. I opt-out the data sharing and have no problems with Edison. AirMail and Canary Email had some problems which made it impossible for me to use these apps. But I bought them and I like to spend some money for apps that are worth it. So if Newton Email is the best choise for an email app I would love to spend money for this app too.

2 days ago I tried Newton Email. I installed the app and created an account. I wanted to test Newton Email for some days and then I wanted to make my decision. I used Newton Email with 2 of my 7 email accounts. But I found it a little bit confusing to set all options and to be honest I didn't know what the differences are to Edison Email. That's why I ended testing Newton Email and deleted my account.

May be you can help making my decision easier to find my perfect email app? :)

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
I was reading this thread for some days now and I was wondering why you all love Newton Email. I wanted to try Newton Email when the subscription was 100$ a year but this was a little bit expensive to me for an email app.

So I went from iOS Mail to Spark, bought AirMail and Canary Email and tried lots of other email apps. Now Newton Email is back for 50$ a year and some of you are happy about that. But why? What makes Newton Email a better app than all the other apps?

Actually I'm using Edison Email and I love it. I opt-out the data sharing and have no problems with Edison. AirMail and Canary Email had some problems which made it impossible for me to use these apps. But I bought them and I like to spend some money for apps that are worth it. So if Newton Email is the best choise for an email app I would love to spend money for this app too.

2 days ago I tried Newton Email. I installed the app and created an account. I wanted to test Newton Email for some days and then I wanted to make my decision. I used Newton Email with 2 of my 7 email accounts. But I found it a little bit confusing to set all options and to be honest I didn't know what the differences are to Edison Email. That's why I ended testing Newton Email and deleted my account.

May be you can help making my decision easier to find my perfect email app? :)

Newton does a TON more than Edison. Edison is a basic email app like the stock features, with snooze and a little bit of smart assistant sorting built in. You can lock the app with Face ID and undo send. It does the basics most 3rd party apps do.

Newton does do a ton more (read receipts, snooze, send later, integrations with other apps). The closest in features to Edison i would say is Airmail; it kind of does everything.

I personally dont think it does anything worth paying $50/year for though. If you dont mind the potential privacy issues Spark does 95% of that (plus more team stuff no other app does) for free.

Newton should have been free and then pay if you want to add on certain of those advanced features (they call superchargers).

Airmail had the potential to be THE best and a game changer since it does not everything and a ton more than other apps do. But Ive seen little to no progression (been beta testing it since the start) in working out the major bugs with the app or development sadly for a paid app. And that's just not acceptable to bill people for something that feels like a beta.

Reactions: DenalB

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Newton does do a ton more (read receipts, snooze, send later, integrations with other apps).
I took a look into the integration of other apps. But I use none of them. I would use these read receipts but when activating this feature you have to inform all of your contacts that you use this. So I don't use these features. May be send emails to a later time could be interesting.

If you dont mind the potential privacy issues Spark does 95% of that (plus more team stuff no other app does) for free.
With Spark I sometimes lost all of my settings including email accounts when updates were installed. After the big update to version 2 I was not able to use Spark for some days. Also email notifications often didn't work. That's why I left Spark and don't want to use it again.

Newton should have been free and then pay if you want to add on certain of those advanced features (they call superchargers).
That would be a really good idea. I think 50$ a year is much money. I don't have trouble for paying once and be able to use more features. But a yearly fee... I don't know if Newton is worth the money and I would be afraid if Newton fails again with its kind of business.

Airmail had the potential to be THE best and a game changer since it does not everything and a ton more than other apps do. But Ive seen little to no progression (been beta testing it since the start) in working out the major bugs with the app or development sadly for a paid app. And that's just not acceptable to bill people for something that feels like a beta.
That was the same feeling that I had when using Airmail. Often email notifications didn't work and some emails were shown in the wrong format. So sometimes it was hard to read some of the emails. I had a lot of conversation with the support team. They answered quick and promised that bugs will be killed. But I didn't recognize that bugs were really killed. On the todo list there was a dark mode which some month ago was promised to be introduced. But still there isn't a dark mode. That's why I also left Airmail.

I used Canary Email for some month. I loved the dark mode of the app and feeling of handling the app. It was nice and really great. But in the last weeks they often had problems with push and mail notifications. I also had a lot of conversation with the support. But often they answered more than 1 day later and the problem was gone. Also they couldn't fix this. They said that there were no such problems and they couldn't see problems with this... But some days later again mail notifications didn't work. So I installed a second email app - Edison - to check email notification. And with Edison I never had such problems. So I'm with Edison Email at the moment...

Thanks for your answer @1144557 . :)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
That would be a really good idea. I think 50$ a year is much money. I don't have trouble for paying once and be able to use more features. But a yearly fee... I don't know if Newton is worth the money and I would be afraid if Newton fails again with its kind of business.

Just another example of the entitlement mentality of some software developers. It's nothing more than a money grab. #SayNOtoSubscriptionSoftware

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Just another example of the entitlement mentality of some software developers. It's nothing more than a money grab. #SayNOtoSubscriptionSoftware

Bingo. Yes it is "just" $50/year and if you use it for business sure it pays for itself.

After 4 years you have paid them $200. It is $200 software? Me thinks not. That's more than full MS Office suite full price.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Bingo. Yes it is "just" $50/year and if you use it for business sure it pays for itself.

After 4 years you have paid them $200. It is $200 software? Me thinks not. That's more than full MS Office suite full price.

I don't subscribe to any software... but I could see a valid case for some stuff that is constantly/regularly being updated by the developer... but email software? Really? That is the epitome of a money grab, IMO.

DenalB

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I don't subscribe to any software... but I could see a valid case for some stuff that is constantly/regularly being updated by the developer...
I subscribed to 1Password and here I think that 1Password is worth all the money. But that's a completely different kind of "software". ;)

Reactions: max2

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Great! :)

So back to topic... Where are all the Newton Lovers? Please give me reasons to switch to Newton. ;)
I was a Newton subscriber. If you put aside the spaghetti privacy policy for a moment, Newton has a lot of nice features that are not found in the stock app. Newton was also very fast in sending and receiving email. I found the UI to be pleasant on the eyes and easy to use.

1) Do you read and create a lot of emails?
2) Do you need or prefer several of the features offered by Newton in your daily email usage?
3) Can you find the same reliable features Newton offers in another third party service? If so, is the other service as reliable in usage and developer response?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.