Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmax3991

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2021
Thanks for the tip. I will try to get back to Monterey (hopefully I can install FinalCut Pro anyways) and then see.

kmax3991

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2021
So, I went back to Monterey, fully clean install from scratch, latest OCLP with patches (when updating it doesn’t even show anything for the graphics card, while it does for the HD5770 Mac Edition) and…
… it still shows the RX6900XT as “Graphics 14 MB”.

I put it into my Win PC: everythings fine.
I start Win11 via OC on the Mac Pro with the card in: also everything fine, with acceleration and all.

So my questions are: could something have gone wrong with the flashing without both Windows to notice it? Shall I flash it to the original and back again? ‘Cause something Driver’ish like there is for Windows doesn’t exist for Mac, does it?

Edit: Solution
I was thinking in Windows Graphics terms and found the problem: The patch for the HD5770 I had in the Mac for having boot screen. Just removed the patch and voila, it shows everything as it should be 🥰

Thanks for your help @tsialex 🙏

Last edited:

crackajacka77

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2022
Again a post regarding the 30" Apple Cinema Display for 2560x1440 60hz in combination with a RX6x00 card.

I'm contemplating buying a 2slot reference AMD RX6800 for my MacPro5,1 but wondering how to connect my 30" display.

Have you guys found a solution how to attach the display hassle-free (and without having to re-connect it every boot).
As far as I see there are five routes:

Route1: DP-to-Mini-DP-Adapter -> Apple Dual-DVI Adapter
Route2: HDMI to DP conversion -> DP-to-Mini-DP-Adapter -> Apple Dual-DVI Adapter
Route3: USB-C to Mini-DP conversion -> Apple Dual-DVI Adapter
Route4: USB-C to Dual DVI (HDCP either On or Off) via this adapter (HDCP off)
Route5: DP to Dual DVI Adapter (HDCP either On or Off ) via this adapter (HDCP off) or this adapter (HDCP on)

Any sucess on either? (Again, stress-free conversion without re-connecting after boot :D)

---------

edit: I found a thread on superuser from 2011 that recommends a specific adapter combination for Route 2:

HDMI to DP via an adapter with a STDP2600 chipset and then DP-to-Mini-DP-Adapter -> Apple Dual-DVI Adapter
-------

edit2: Also taking in recommendations for modern 2k 30" Displays that are up-par with the 30" Apple Cinema Display.
Maybe it's just time to kick the bucket.
----------

edit3: Apparently there are two different versions of the 30" Cinema Display avaiable. Either with HDCP available or not. Apple silently upgraded some displays during the production and added more contrast and brightness and also HDCP support. Apparently that happened in 2007. To determine which display you have (and therefore if you need a HDCP-ON or HDCP-OFF adapter I used SwitchResX for that.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-08 um 10.16.10.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-08 um 10.15.46.jpg

Last edited:

culser

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2023
By design, the Mac Pro EFI BootROM uses UGA (an older standard) for screen output. Mac-compatible cards provide UGA, which lets you see the native boot picker and the early boot screens (before MacOS loads). Without a UGA-compatible card (i.e. with non-Mac/PC cards), you'll see a black screen until something loads a driver that can speak to your video card - that's typically either OpenCore or MacOS itself. OpenCore loads early enough that the native screens aren't really necessary. As I understand it (I've never looked at an MVC card), MVC patches their cards to include UGA support, so you can use the native boot picker and see the boot screens immediately, without the need for OpenCore. (And, in the case of the RX6x00 cards, they've presumably fixed the same AMD bug that my patch fixes.)

Unfortunately, yes. As @tsialex correctly points out, you can't boot a cMP with an unpatched RX6x00 card in it; the card's initialization code contains a bug that prevents booting (fixing that is the whole point of my patch!). So, if you're using software flashing, you'll need to do that on a non-Mac PC.

To simplify things, I've attached a Windows version of the FixRX6x00 patcher program. It's still a command-line program (no GUI), same instructions as the MacOS version in my previous post. At least this way, there's less shuffling back and forth between systems.

Your Python script has a problem. It complains about the EFI ROM not being the last image, but that's not a requirement for EFI option ROMs. In this case, the x86_64 EFI code appears before the ARM64 EFI code - but in the output from your script, the ARM64 code gets removed. Also, while I don't have an RX6900XT to test with, I can state that GOP is most definitely provided by the card's original ROM.

Correct. As I said in my original post, @caingraywood was using a hardware flasher (I think he said it was an RT809F). I don't know his methodology - he may have been flashing in situ, or he may have been physically replacing the chips. In any case, he wasn't using software flashing. Since a cMP can't even POST with an unpatched RX6x00 card, it's necessary to flash it using either a PC (Windows/Linux) or a hardware flasher (or, I suppose, a MP7,1?).

To help simplify things, I pulled all of the RX6600/6600XT/6800/6800XT/6900XT ROMs from TechPowerup, patched them, and have attached them to this post. However, be advised that patching the ROM that came with your particular card will almost always be the better choice. Use the attached ROM images at your own risk. If you choose to use one of the attached ROM images, verify that the make/model and version number matches your card.
Do you have a window - Fix Tool for AMD RX 7950 ?

culser

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2023
Apple never supported AMD GPUs newer than AMD RX 6900XT. You can't use macOS with a RX 7xxx, no drivers.
I just installed Monterey using OCLP - On my Mac Pro 2012 5.1 144 / at the end of the install during all those reboots, i could not get to the login screen. reason why, i needed a metal supported card. I inserted a Sapphire AMD RX 7950 and suddenly i got the login screen ... wow all those installs and all OS needed was a little metal.

I did try this same card before with no results. then i discovered there is a little switch on the top of the card.
a switch that lets you switch between boot versions. that way in one position , experiment with flashing. the other untouched and still bootable ...

so apparently there are drivers 7950 due to it is working. I'll try to get a screen capture.

back to my original question. I was not looking for drivers, i was looking for a video patcher for flashing video cards for mac ... a windows App like FixRX6x00ROM.exe that will work with cards like 7950 580 590 ect ... Syncretic made this Fix app , i messaged him to see if he has an update . the latest i could get was 12

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 1.24.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 1.24.08 PM.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I just installed Monterey using OCLP - On my Mac Pro 2012 5.1 144 / at the end of the install during all those reboots, i could not get to the login screen. reason why, i needed a metal supported card. I inserted a Sapphire AMD RX 7950 and suddenly i got the login screen ... wow all those installs and all OS needed was a little metal.

so apparently there are drivers 7950 due to it is working. I'll try to get a screen capture.

back to my original question. I was not looking for drivers, i was looking for a video patcher for flashing video cards for mac ... a windows App like FixRX6x00ROM.exe that will work with cards like 7950 580 590 ect ... Syncretic made this Fix app , i messaged him to see if he has an update . the latest i could get was 12

You are completely mistaking about this patch to make NAVI 2x cards to work with a MacPro5,1.

This patch is exclusively for NAVI 2x generation of GPU cards (AMD RX 6600/6800/6900 and etc), it's even called FixRX6x00ROM.exe. These GPUs doesn't even boot when one is installed unpatched to a MacPro5,1, not the ancient AMD HD 7950/7970 cards from 2012. Earlier GPUs doesn't require it.

BTW, there is no AMD RX 7950 as of today, yet, your GPU is an ancient AMD Radeon HD 7950.

Last edited:
Reactions: prefuse07

culser

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2023
You are completely mistaking about this patch to make NAVI 2x cards to work with a MacPro5,1.

This patch is exclusively for NAVI 2x generation of GPU cards (AMD RX 6600/6800/6900 and etc) that doesn't even boot when one is installed to a MacPro5,1, not the ancient AMD HD 7950/7970 cards from 2012. Earlier GPUs doesn't require it.

BTW, there is no AMD RX 7950 as of today, yet, your GPU is an ancient AMD Radeon HD 7950.
Ancient yes, but it got me to the login. and off blank screens.

I know the patch is only for the 6xxx, that is why i messaged the author to see if he has or knew of a patch for other video cards.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ancient yes, but it got me to the login. and off blank screens.

I know the patch is only for the 6xxx, that is why i messaged the author to see if he has or knew of a patch for other video cards.

All earlier released AMD GPUs just work without the HII patch, only the NAVI 2x family of AMD GPUs (RX 6600/6800/6900) require the patch. It's clear from the thread title and the release post.

culser

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2023
All earlier released AMD GPUs just work without the HII patch, only the NAVI 2x family of AMD GPUs (RX 6600/6800/6900) require the patch. It's clear from the thread title and the release post.
ah but what if i wanted a boot screen, boot picker . for the 7950 ...

culser

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2023

This patch is exclusively for NAVI 2x generation of GPU cards (AMD RX 6600/6800/6900 and etc), it's even called FixRX6x00ROM.exe. These GPUs doesn't even boot when one is installed unpatched to a MacPro5,1, not the ancient AMD HD 7950/7970 cards from 2012. Earlier GPUs doesn't require it.

oh yes, i meant to say HD not RX

culser

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2023
Apple never supported AMD GPUs newer than AMD RX 6900XT. You can't use macOS with a RX 7xxx, no drivers.
you can use an HD 7xxx maybe.

so your saying without the FixRX6xx you cannot boot with these newer cards, no boot screen, no B picker,
does OC install drivers for these new cards. but maybe not during installation. ?

ah i did try a ARrock Challenger AMD RX 6600 i use in my PC , i tried to boot in the mac , no go, blank screen, then shut down. dull card.

culser

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2023
i have a ARrock Challenger AMD RX 6600 - the Fix patch will work with that ? and if so, will i be able to use it again in windows or no, after the patch does it become exclusely a mac card or no ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
ah but what if i wanted a boot screen, boot picker . for the 7950 ...

Then you have to flash it with a MacEFI. This patch here have nothing to do with it.

you can use an HD 7xxx maybe.

so your saying without the FixRX6xx you cannot boot with these newer cards, no boot screen, no B picker,
does OC install drivers for these new cards. but maybe not during installation. ?

ah i did try a ARrock Challenger AMD RX 6600 i use in my PC , i tried to boot in the mac , no go, blank screen, then shut down. dull card.

An unpatched RX 6xxx installed to a MacPro5,1 makes it incapable to power on and complete POST. Nothing. Just beeps.

i have a ARrock Challenger AMD RX 6600 - the Fix patch will work with that ?

Yes.

and if so, will i be able to use it again in windows or no, after the patch does it become exclusely a mac card or no ?

Both. You should flash the factory firmware when moving the GPU back to a PC.

Gustav Holdoff

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2020
The man was launched on a Hackintosh on ASUS Motherboard
and that's why it works
and if you need AVX to run Navi 21 on a Mac, then this kext will not help
the community is not able to pay a million dollars for the development of AVX emulator, especially since to write an emulator you need software codes from both Intel and Apple, which means that the emulator must be written by a company of programmers commissioned by Apple - and this will never happen
Here is a typical example:
EpicGames was going to build in ray tracing for its Unreal Engine for Mac (especially since AMD announced an analogue of ray tracing for NAVI 2), but several years ago it began to conflict with Apple over money, and now there will never be ray tracing on Mac and AMD. Although, apparently, they agreed to launch on an ARM, but again it’s probably a matter of money (if Apple shows commercial attractiveness and the number of users on an ARM is significant in terms of sales)

Last edited:

crackajacka77

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2022
So, I flashed my stock AMD Reference RX6800 in a PC using GPU-Z and the FXRX6x00ROM Patcher and flashed the patched ROM with AMDVbflashwin. Inserted the patched card into the MacPro5,1 and get a POST tone but no screen on either HDMI or using USB-C (to Dual-DVI which worked on the PC with the RX6800 installed). Unfortunately don't have a DP capable monitor. The GPU is powered by an external PSU (which is turned on and working).

My MacPro5,1 then auto turns off after a couple minute or so. If I keep pushing left-and-right arrow keys as to avoid the auto-countdown from OpenCore is still shuts off after a minute. So I might not even get to the OC picker in the beginning.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
So, I flashed my stock AMD Reference RX6800 in a PC using GPU-Z and the FXRX6x00ROM Patcher and flashed the patched ROM with AMDVbflashwin. Inserted the patched card into the MacPro5,1 and get a POST tone but no screen on either HDMI or using USB-C (to Dual-DVI which worked on the PC with the RX6800 installed). Unfortunately don't have a DP capable monitor. The GPU is powered by an external PSU (which is turned on and working).

My MacPro5,1 then auto turns off after a couple minute or so. If I keep pushing left-and-right arrow keys as to avoid the auto-countdown from OpenCore is still shuts off after a minute. So I might not even get to the OC picker in the beginning.
How are you powering the RX6900?

crackajacka77

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2022
Don't know what was plugged in wrong but I just re-installed the newest OC (1.01) and here we are (minus OpenCore boot screen though).

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-12 um 20.34.48.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-12 um 20.41.20.jpg

Still waiting for my Mini-6pin-to-8pin adapters and powering the RX6800 with an external 650W PSU at the moment. Seems to run nice. During boot I had some minor graphical artifacts (white blips while booting into macOS Monterey), which ultimately disappeared in macOS.

Though I get NO boot screen using this card. My 30" is connected via USB-C-to-DVI and second screen is attached via HDMI and both screens work when booted into Monterey. Any ideas here?

Now onto booting into Windows for some real change in gaming :) (selecting it blind in Opencore though.. :( )

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.