Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
We have reached that point again, where the fastest and most stable current version of iOS that you can get is out, only a few short weeks before the next version comes out, complete with new bugs and slowdowns.

Who is staying on iOS 8.4.1, and who is moving to iOS 9 when it comes out? I haven't decided yet. iOS 9 doesn't bring a lot to the table. I may sit back and wait until 9.0.1 or 9.1 to update, when the annoyances that come with every new release have been worked out.

Then there's the other side of me, who always wants to play with new toys and wants to upgrade immediately, to a beta even.

It's an internal struggle! It wears me down every day. Okay so I'm exaggerating a bit.

Anyway, enjoy the rock solid stability and speed of this release. iOS is always at its best right around this time of year. Bugs are coming.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
You'll be holding your breath a long time if you think Apple will fix many iOS 9 annoyances soon or at all. iOS 8 has proved that numerous times. And 8.4.1 fixes very few of the many bugs that exist in the iPad app. I'm not talking design or any other subjective thing. I'm talking actual bugs that break things. Nope they don't give a crap

Reactions: AleXXXa and dk001

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
To be quite honest, I haven't experienced any bugs or issues that "break things" in iOS 8...it's been super stable and the only thing I can think of would be some battery issues and the iPad Air 2 wake lag that appeared in 8.4.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
With it not being there in iOS 9, I don't think they're too concerned about it.
That's kind of a bad attitude to take as a company. Oh we screwed something up but iOS 9 will be here in a couple months. I understand development is a process but if product was properly tested that would have solved the issue. But by now it's all too obvious Apple music was a rushed product.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
I'll update my iPad 3 to iOS 9 on release day because it will be no worse than current.

My iPhone 6? I will wait for the Ars Technica report as to how iOS 9 affects speed. They always do a breakdown as to how stock apps respond under the new operating system.

If iOS 9 slows my 6 down I won't be updating. I was burnt badly with my iPad 3 and have learnt my lesson. I work on the basis now that if you want the latest version of iOS then you should only get that when you buy a new product.

I'd rather have a fast, reliable iPhone 6 for the next few years stuck on iOS 8 rather than a slow, stuttery, struggling iPhone 6 with a few xtra features on iOS 9/10/11.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
On 8.4.1?

My Air 2 comes out of sleep immediately upon pressing the home button or the sleep/wake button.
Yea, that is what i thought as well, then i remembered BT was being used on the ipad and connected to my iphone 6 plus via tethering. When i turned off the BT Tethering with my phone and put ipad to sleep for only about 30 seconds the delay was back as it had been on 8.4. I tested multiple times and the delay stayed there. The delay for 5 finger pinch gesture is also still present.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
That's kind of a bad attitude to take as a company. Oh we screwed something up but iOS 9 will be here in a couple months. I understand development is a process but if product was properly tested that would have solved the issue. But by now it's all too obvious Apple music was a rushed product.

It is what it is...Apple isn't the only company that doesn't catch small bugs. It's the nature of software development. Other than the wake delay, my iPad is rock solid stable as is my iPhone and I'd bet that's the case for a good majority of average users.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Seems to have affected my 5S' battery life. Currently at 36% with 3 hours of usage (Gmail, Outlook, Safari browsing on LTE, adding a couple of schedules on calendar and texting are all I did today.)

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
When I first downloaded it, I still saw the delay, but the past several wakes have been perfect. Will see as time goes on

Thanks. How long are you allowing it to sleep in your tests. I'll try the same here.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
this is a great update. it improves many small things (meaning it makes several small improvements, which are not just bug fixes). really a great update. like for my playlists, if you add or remove an album to the playlist it adds the album in real time to the playlist icon. if this is the way it worked before, then this is a bug fix on my machine. its great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.