Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Chances are very high that you are experiencing a botched update. My iPad Mini 2 on 8.4.1 has none of these problems (nor does my 6+). Do yourself a favor and download 8.4.1 to your computer, then restore your iPad from iTunes. After restoring try loading your backup and see if things are better, but if not your backup could be hosed, so start from scratch with another restore and no backup. The cause of what you're seeing is not the iOS itself, something is corrupted.

Quite interesting, I would have imagined a botched update would pretty much result in a non booting iPad, but it is indeed a good idea to try this out. I will do a bit later today. Thanks!

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
You can only restore an iOS back up to the same version of iOS or newer. You cannot restore it to an older version of iOS.
Hmmmm I just downgraded to 8.4 and I'm in the process of using my 8.4.1 backup to restore..... We'll see if it completes.

Hmm yup worked just fine. Backed up my 8.4.1 to iTunes then clean restored to 8.4 and used my backup data from 8.4.1 on my 8.4 phone.

Last edited:

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Quite interesting, I would have imagined a botched update would pretty much result in a non booting iPad, but it is indeed a good idea to try this out. I will do a bit later today. Thanks!
Good luck! If you did the original update via OTA, that may be the cause. In my experience, Over-the-Air updates result in glitches more often than not so I will normally download the update to my Mac and install it via wired connection for what appears to be a more reliable process.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Good luck! If you did the original update via OTA, that may be the cause. In my experience, Over-the-Air updates result in glitches more often than not so I will normally download the update to my Mac and install it via wired connection for what appears to be a more reliable process.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I have just restored it as you said.

It is still too early to tell, but it seems a lot better than after the update to 8.4.1 but also noticeably worse than before that update. At least, the iPad is useable now, even if not fun to use.

pr1nce

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2015
No issues here with iOS 8, 8.4.1 has been very stable on my 5s. Looking forward to iOS 9.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I have just restored it as you said.

It is still too early to tell, but it seems a lot better than after the update to 8.4.1 but also noticeably worse than before that update. At least, the iPad is useable now, even if not fun to use.

Ok, at this point I can confirm many of the issues still arise. In particular, the wifi connection dropping for a second every five seconds or so. Very annoying. Hopefully, the update to iOS 9 will fix it for me.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I reverted to 8.4.1 from the latest iOS 9pb and I'm back to getting a full day from a single charge with almost no noticeable bugs. Performance is smooth and fast. I might wait for 9.0.1 or 9.1 to update to iOS 9.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I've had an issue a couple of times on my 6 Plus. I will try to purchase an app from the app store, and the little circle to the right of it will just keep spinning forever. If I then go into the updates tab, there are no update/open buttons next to the apps. Just a blank space. This can only be fixed by restarting the iPhone.

Anyone else experienced this?

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
I have a 6 Plus and this 8.4.1 update made it almost unusable :( Apple Music it's *****, the Radio page most of the time won't load (I have to reboot) and if I skip songs on my playlists they just won't play and I have to restart the app, so basically I can't skip songs... Safari gets randomly stuck and I have to restart it. IBooks gets stuck on a blank page and I have to restart the phone to make it work. The battery drains MUCH more quicker than before. It's a horrible mess! What can I do? I can't be bothered reinstalling iOS from scratch, would take to long :(
Everything was perfect with the 8.4! F*****g Apple... The reason why I'm using an iPhone and not an Android is to avoid all this ****** problems! :(

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
I can't be bothered reinstalling iOS from scratch, would take to long
I updated my 6+ via OTA and it runs pretty smooth. If your device isn't running that we'll, best thing is to do a backup and reset, and try to restore the backup. If it's still running like crap, reinstall the OS. Might take too long, however it most likely will fix the probs as the update may have been borked.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
I have a 6 Plus and this 8.4.1 update made it almost unusable :( Apple Music it's *****, the Radio page most of the time won't load (I have to reboot) and if I skip songs on my playlists they just won't play and I have to restart the app, so basically I can't skip songs... Safari gets randomly stuck and I have to restart it. IBooks gets stuck on a blank page and I have to restart the phone to make it work. The battery drains MUCH more quicker than before. It's a horrible mess! What can I do? I can't be bothered reinstalling iOS from scratch, would take to long :(
Everything was perfect with the 8.4! F*****g Apple... The reason why I'm using an iPhone and not an Android is to avoid all this ****** problems! :(

i prefer for you DFU mode restore.

your problems will be solved..mostly :)

Reactions: truesepho

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Ok, I took my time and restored with IPSW file in DFU mode... And it's still crap! iBooks and Apple Music almost unusable, and all the problems described above. I'm so pissed off right now :(((

zoneee

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
this 8.4.1 made my iphone 5 shine again. battery better than ever, no more stuttering, really good.
im not sure ill update to iOS 9 as this seems really good, i updated 7 days ago and i can confirm my positive experience.

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
8.4.1 is horrendous on my iPhone 6, iPad air and my girlfriends 5c. Apps crashing everywhere (both first and third party). Can't even access iTunes on the phones.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
go to nearest apple point and take a quick diagnose to your device. that's the only way you understand what the real problem is.
I've been chatting with Apple Support, they made me run a remote diagnose which excluded HW issues. The guy said the problems are very likely to be caused by one of the third party apps on my phone and I need to do a clean install without restoring my backup... Yeah right :( Easy solution... I'll probably just wait for iOS9 and hope that will fix the bugs.
Very annoyed and disappointed :(

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Looks like I'll be doing a full restore here... iPhone 6 Plus running 8.4.1. Has been fine since the update was pushed out but the last 24-48 hours I've lost count the amount of times I've had to do a soft reset.

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA

Yup! Same here for both my iPad and my gal's iPhone. And it is NOT a hardware issue nor is it something we are doing or have installed. A wipe and restore does NOTHING. We're at wit's end here.

A.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I've got another query... this has been happening before 8.4.1, but just wanted to check if anyone else is experiencing it.

Relatively often my mail app doesn't properly refresh. It tries and tries but nothing happens. Only force quitting the mail app fixes it. Anyone else experienced this?

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Looks like I'll be doing a full restore here... iPhone 6 Plus running 8.4.1. Has been fine since the update was pushed out but the last 24-48 hours I've lost count the amount of times I've had to do a soft reset.

I wouldn't bother with the restore if I was you, full or from backup, as I don't think it will resolve your issues. I and many others have tried both and we still have the same issues. I seem to have hit the jackpot and have almost every issue that I've seen other people post about. Soft/hard reset fixes the problems for a short while, but they always come back.
  • Cannot install podcasts using standard podcasts app, download is always waiting
  • In AppStore, already installed apps have the 'iCloud download button', not 'Open'
  • Cannot install new apps (click on get, just get the animated circle)
  • Cannot open Radio from Apple Music (all other tabs ok)
  • In settings cannot open iTunes & App Store page, can open iCloud page, but cannot scroll, screen locks
My iPad was fine until about 30 minutes when I happened to try and open the iTunes & App Store settings. Sure enough when I saw it didn't work, symptoms 2, 3 & 4 appeared also (I don't use the Podcast app on the iPad)

Reactions: tsayre

rjakobsson

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2015

This is exactly my experience, on my iPhone 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.