Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
You base all of that and your negative approach to iOS (whatever version) on your crappy experience, when it's not as big or widespread as you exaggerate, when most probably didn't have the same. No software in any universe is 100% bug free. It's how it goes. The "endless chase of perfect software" is what happens in ALL software. It's practically impossible to have 100% flawless software on the scale of an OS. If it was so easily achieved then we would be running 1980's OS's with zero need to upgrade.

The high crash rate of iOS 8.x compared to iOS 7 would say something, as would the widespread knowledge of how poor iOS 8 is. You base your view point off your own positive experience with iOS 8.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Since I updated to 8.4.1, music app keep crashing if I watch a music video. It can be on the beginning or in the middle. I'm on the iPhone 6+.

Reactions: AleXXXa

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Wake delay still there. I wasn't noticing a delay when I was listening to Spotify, but after that the delay returned. Oh well...I've kind of gotten used to it by now I guess.

I've seen the wake delay one time. Since then, nothing. I'm wondering now if I even saw it that one time. I was watching a movie yesterday and was interrupted a few times. It went to sleep and woke fine.

Maybe I'm being overly hopeful. Haha

Reactions: batting1000

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The high crash rate of iOS 8.x compared to iOS 7 would say something, as would the widespread knowledge of how poor iOS 8 is. You base your view point off your own positive experience with iOS 8.
I recall plenty of people having all kinds of stability and otherwise issues with iOS 7.0. I'm not sure it's really all that clear that iOS 8.0 was worse for more people than 7.0 was.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I recall plenty of people having all kinds of stability and otherwise issues with iOS 7.0. I'm not sure it's really all that clear that iOS 8.0 was worse for more people than 7.0 was.

8.0 is considered a much buggier release especially by the media, and again the app crash statistics showed a much higher rate for 8.0 then 7.0. Apple didn't manage the same level of stuff ups in 7 (like 8.0.1.. or was it 8.0.2..). Also 7.0 ran well on A6 (1 year old hardware at the time), where as 8.x performs quite poorly on the iPad Air and Mini 2 (1 year old hardware). Again also, 7.1 was super stable, and is widely seen as that, where as even now in 8.4 there are still a plethora of issues.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
8.0 is considered a much buggier release especially by the media, and again the app crash statistics showed a much higher rate for 8.0 then 7.0. Apple didn't manage the same level of stuff ups in 7 (like 8.0.1.. or was it 8.0.2..). Also 7.0 ran well on A6 (1 year old hardware at the time), where as 8.x performs quite poorly on the iPad Air and Mini 2 (1 year old hardware). Again also, 7.1 was super stable, and is widely seen as that, where as even now in 8.4 there are still a plethora of issues.
I would think 7.0 with its UI redesign was seen as a much bigger release by the media and general public than 8.0 which wasn't seen as much of a change be those groups given that many of the changes were under the hood. There were certainly a good amount of changes though which probably contributed to some instability. In any case, seems like both have had their share of issues. Apple took care of them somewhat better when it came to iOS 7 when they released 7.1, and it's been taking longer with iOS 8. Perhaps it's due to larger under the hood changes involved with iOS 8, perhaps it's something else, or a combination of things.

At this point the hope is certainly that iOS 9 will improve upon it all. I don't expect 9.0 to be issue free, but hopefully it will still be better than the recent x.0 releases, and hopefully the subsequent bug fix and minor releases with quickly improve on it as well.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
iOS 7 was much less stable (app crashes, re-springs) than 6, even with 7.1, especially on the 5S.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iOS 7 was much less stable (app crashes, re-springs) than 6, even with 7.1, especially on the 5S.

I think if we leave the A7 devices out (Apple seemed to have all sorts of issues with stability on the 64 bit devices in general) iOS 7 was more stable. Even then, if iOS 7 had a high app crash rate, the fact that iOS 8 has an even higher one is telling of iOS 8 stability.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
I noticed that with iOS 8.4.1 you dont need anymore enable explict content via restrictions. It is enabled by default which was before disabled. Furthermore, no random overheats on 5S

Last edited:

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Seemingly fast for me, only time will tell!

Whilst iOS was considered a major release in the media it was down to the overhaul and major changes to the os and its use of it. iOS 8 however wasn't seen as a massive update in comparison, it was in the public eyes for bad stuff mainly due to the signal loss update and data loss update etc etc which did not help one bit!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think if we leave the A7 devices out (Apple seemed to have all sorts of issues with stability on the 64 bit devices in general) iOS 7 was more stable. Even then, if iOS 7 had a high app crash rate, the fact that iOS 8 has an even higher one is telling of iOS 8 stability.
Not sure I agree because out of the 100 million or so devices its exceedingly difficult to figure a "crash" rate. I thing 8.4.1 hit the nail on the head as all iOS releases which are the last before a new version.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
iOS 8.4.1 was an easy stable upgrade for me. I agree with many comments on here about the frequency of the updates and the inordinate amount of bugs with new iOS releases. My fingers are crossed that all of our frustrations have finally gotten through to Apple.

postpc

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Germany
Ahh, rejoice the long awaited 'end of lifecycle' patch. Typically this time of the year Apple users will find their old idevices become more and more unstable, usually achieved by making the browser suck even more than last time around ('A problem occurred'), incidentally a month before the annual modell makeover hits the market.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
I'll update my iPad 3 to iOS 9 on release day because it will be no worse than current.

My iPhone 6? I will wait for the Ars Technica report as to how iOS 9 affects speed. They always do a breakdown as to how stock apps respond under the new operating system.

If iOS 9 slows my 6 down I won't be updating. I was burnt badly with my iPad 3 and have learnt my lesson. I work on the basis now that if you want the latest version of iOS then you should only get that when you buy a new product.

I'd rather have a fast, reliable iPhone 6 for the next few years stuck on iOS 8 rather than a slow, stuttery, struggling iPhone 6 with a few xtra features on iOS 9/10/11.

I'm sorry but it seems to me your logic is flawed here.
Let me explain myself.
You bought your iPad 3 and it shipped with iOS 5. You then proceeded to update it to iOS 6, then to iOS 7 and finally to iOS 8. That's 3 versions, of course it will slow down!
Then you say you are afraid to update your iPhone 6 from iOS 8 to iOS 9 (just 1 version forward). I mean... do you REALLY believe it will become slow and unusable from 8 to 9? I can guarantee you it will be the same, if not faster, than iOS 8.
Come on now. Those 2 things are incomparable.
P.S. I left both my old iPhone 4s and iPad 3 on iOS 7, and they are working great.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm sorry but it seems to me your logic is flawed here.
Let me explain myself.
You bought your iPad 3 and it shipped with iOS 5. You then proceeded to update it to iOS 6, then to iOS 7 and finally to iOS 8. That's 3 versions, of course it will slow down!
Then you say you are afraid to update your iPhone 6 from iOS 8 to iOS 9 (just 1 version forward). I mean... do you REALLY believe it will become slow and unusable from 8 to 9? I can guarantee you it will be the same, if not faster, than iOS 8.
Come on now. Those 2 things are incomparable.
P.S. I left both my old iPhone 4s and iPad 3 on iOS 7, and they are working great.
iOS 8.4.1 cured some niggling issues on my iPad 2 that was with 8.4.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I wonder why they still haven't fixed this on the iPhone 6? (Look at my screenshot) Say you are playing a video in safari and you click done then you turn the phone back to portrait the text is screwed up and mixed in with the status bar. Rotate sideways then rotate back and it fixes it. Still annoying. The attention to detail and polish just isn't there anymore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 212

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
So no one have the music app crash on 8.4.1? The app never crashed on 8.4 and now its impossible to watch videos. The app will 100% crash during them. Also it crash alot if I want to add tracks on my personnal music library. All of this was started after I update my 6+ to 8.4.1...

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
As I thought this update was all about exploit fixes, I did not wait to install 8.4.1 on my iPad Air it (as I usually do for new updates).

The update essentially RUINED my iPad Air:
- when using wifi, the wifi icon in the top of the screen vanishes for a second every five or six seconds;
- web browsers (Chrome and Safari) and Mail often report "not being connected to the internet"; this is totally non deterministic, and more often than not clicking on reload allows to get the page;
- everything lags, even apps that do not use the internet;
- some apps (especially the browsers) randomly crash;
- stupid error messages show up from time to time in a dialog box and my click on the "OK" button is not taken into account before five or ten seconds;
- even the gesture to leave an App for the desktop is often ignored, or (even more funny) freezes;
- to keep things usable, I essentially need to reboot my iPad every second day now.

I now have to figure out how I can downgrade.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I wonder why they still haven't fixed this on the iPhone 6? (Look at my screenshot) Say you are playing a video in safari and you click done then you turn the phone back to portrait the text is screwed up and mixed in with the status bar. Rotate sideways then rotate back and it fixes it. Still annoying. The attention to detail and polish just isn't there anymore.
@icymountain is complaining of a ruined iPad while your complaining of misaligned text. The scale is interesting.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
The update essentially RUINED my iPad Air ...
Chances are very high that you are experiencing a botched update. My iPad Mini 2 on 8.4.1 has none of these problems (nor does my 6+). Do yourself a favor and download 8.4.1 to your computer, then restore your iPad from iTunes. After restoring try loading your backup and see if things are better, but if not your backup could be hosed, so start from scratch with another restore and no backup. The cause of what you're seeing is not the iOS itself, something is corrupted.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Quick silly question. Could I back up my 8.4.1 data to iTunes then restore that back up to 8.4? Or does it have to be a 8.4 backup? Thanks I can't remember.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Quick silly question. Could I back up my 8.4.1 data to iTunes then restore that back up to 8.4? Or does it have to be a 8.4 backup? Thanks I can't remember.

You can only restore an iOS back up to the same version of iOS or newer. You cannot restore it to an older version of iOS.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
You can only restore an iOS back up to the same version of iOS or newer. You cannot restore it to an older version of iOS.
Ah ok thanks that's what I was thinking but just wanted to be sure! I'm thinking about going back to 8.4 just for the sake of being able to jailbreak but I forgot to backup before I updated to 8.4.1. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.