Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
Nope, I did try dual-booting IOS 6 and 7 on an iPhone 4 but it didn't work. Now I use an unjailbroken iPhone 6 on 10.3.2 with IOS 6 icons and a weather widget with IOS 6 linen.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.PNG
    IMG_0173.PNG
    682.7 KB · Views: 1,459
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 701
Reactions: Tozovac

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Nope, I did try dual-booting IOS 6 and 7 on an iPhone 4 but it didn't work. Now I use an unjailbroken iPhone 6 on 10.3.2 with IOS 6 icons and a weather widget with IOS 6 linen.

I'm very clueless about how to jailbreak but would be curious to learn just to know. Any good recommended "jailbreaking for dummies" starting points?

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Is any Frankenstein-ing possible? I have an iPhone 4 with whatever max iOS it allows. I use it as a security camera. Any chance of swapping my SIM card to it, then backing it up, then loading that backup onto my 5S?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is any Frankenstein-ing possible? I have an iPhone 4 with whatever max iOS it allows. I use it as a security camera. Any chance of swapping my SIM card to it, then backing it up, then loading that backup onto my 5S?
Backups restore only user data. At this point, there's no way to jailbreak your 5S whatsoever.

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
The iPhone 5s can't run IOS 6. Jailbreak your iPhone 4 and dual boot IOS 6 on it, IOS 7 is extremely easy to jailbreak and the dual boot has been updated so it is way less buggy now.
Download this on your mac or windows pc: http://en.7.pangu.io/
Connect your iphone to the pc and open the program, then just follow the instructions it puts up and your phone should be jailbroken with no problems.
Then in cydia add the source "https://coolbooter.com" and then you can download coolbooter. Make sure you have at least 5.5 gb available on your iphone before installing a second OS.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
The iPhone 5s can't run IOS 6. Jailbreak your iPhone 4 and dual boot IOS 6 on it, IOS 7 is extremely easy to jailbreak and the dual boot has been updated so it is way less buggy now.
Download this on your mac or windows pc: http://en.7.pangu.io/
Connect your iphone to the pc and open the program, then just follow the instructions it puts up and your phone should be jailbroken with no problems.
Then in cydia add the source "https://coolbooter.com" and then you can download coolbooter. Make sure you have at least 5.5 gb available on your iphone before installing a second OS.

So just to make sure I understand:

In post #27 above you mention an "unjailbroken" iPhone 6 using iOS 6 icons...does that mean it's jailbrokend then unjailbroken...or it's not been jailbroken at all yet you can run an iOS6 type interface? Or you can jailbreak an iPhone 6 but not 5s? Sorry if I'm tripping over semantics and not catching the drift! :) Thx for the help here.

Unfortunately for me too - my iPhone 4's home button is all but useless...that phone is a dread to use...

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
The iPhone 6 I have hasn't been jailbroken, just uses icons from here http://iskin.tooliphone.net/ and I had to use images for missing icons here http://icustom.tooliphone.net/
As for your iPhone 4, just use the assistivetouch and remove all gestures except the home gesture, then you can just tap the button without opening a menu, it will only be a virtual home button.
[doublepost=1500571671][/doublepost]Wait, I checked and you can't remove gestures from assistive touch on IOS 7, well you can still use it but the menu thing is a bit annoying.
However, you can make something else simulate a home button with activator.
Just watch this video:

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
As for your iPhone 4, just use the assistivetouch and remove all gestures except the home gesture, then you can just tap the button without opening a menu, it will only be a virtual home button.

Ha, I did do just that for a year or so before replacing it with a 5s. I hated using that button because my phone was so, so, so uselessly slow when it was hijacked by Apple with iOS7.

I had no idea however that you could replace icons...I thought any chance of that required a jailbroken phone. You've given me some great info to look into here. Thanks, I'll followup in a few days when I've had a chance to look around.

Separately, do you have any advice for: When I first got my 5S 1.5 years ago, it was snappy & zippy (lol). Now, it's pretty sluggish. I'm wondering whether that's from having too many photos & text messages & voicemail messages left on the phone, or whether a backup/erase/restore might help? Why does it seem each new iOS iteration (supposedly "improved") only serves to worsen a given phone?

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
Ha, I did do just that for a year or so before replacing it with a 5s. I hated using that button because my phone was so, so, so uselessly slow when it was hijacked by Apple with iOS7.

I had no idea however that you could replace icons...I thought any chance of that required a jailbroken phone. You've given me some great info to look into here. Thanks, I'll followup in a few days when I've had a chance to look around.

Separately, do you have any advice for: When I first got my 5S 1.5 years ago, it was snappy & zippy (lol). Now, it's pretty sluggish. I'm wondering whether that's from having too many photos & text messages & voicemail messages left on the phone, or whether a backup/erase/restore might help? Why does it seem each new iOS iteration (supposedly "improved") only serves to worsen a given phone?
I know what you mean, the iPhone 6 is barely faster than the 5s, it's hardly noticeable.
To speed up your iPhone 5s, (and increase battery life) go to settings > general > accessibility > reduce motion and turn it off.
Back to accessibility > increase contrast, turn on reduce transparency.
Go back to general > spotlight search, just turn off anything you don't need.
And back to general again > background app refresh, turn it off.
Now just go back to settings > itunes and app store, turn off auto updates.

Last edited:

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
I found an IOS 5 styled camera app, it's called Camera Prime it even has a front camera zoom which the stock camera doesn't even have.
Can't find any IOS 6 styled camera's though. (Though this is similar to IOS 6.0 one, it's just white instead of black.)

Attachments

• IMG_0285.PNG
    IMG_0285.PNG
    817.7 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:

BTTF_DeLorean

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Still using iOS 6.1.3 on my iPhone 4s. It actually had iOS 5.0 just last year in 2016, but unfortunately I deleted some system Cydia tweaks and was forced to upgrade to iOS 9, but now it's downgraded to iOS 6.1.3.

JacobCarterX

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
your answer seems no :)

i wish i could, i m using IPhone 4S and IPad2 with A5 chip, and with IOS9 they re slow :)

with ios6 my idevices were perfect !

Just signed up to say this
Get them on 9.3.5 and use the new Phoenix 9.3.5 JB. Then add coolbooter dot com as a repo in Cydia and install it. You can then have iOS 6 or 7 aswell as 9 (I leave my iPod 5G permanently in iOS 6 mode)

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but I think it doesn't worth opening a new thread.
I was thinking of buying a cheap iPad 2 and downgrade it to iOS 6 to use it as ebook reader and some ocasional websurfing, do you think it is a good idea? An iPad 2 here is still about 100eur used.
From what I've read whatsapp and skype don't work, but I also don't use on the tablet (I had chinese android tablet, quad core 1gb ram before). Are there any important app/service that won't work with ios6? Any updated browsers?

Retromac2008

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2015
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but I think it doesn't worth opening a new thread.
I was thinking of buying a cheap iPad 2 and downgrade it to iOS 6 to use it as ebook reader and some ocasional websurfing, do you think it is a good idea? An iPad 2 here is still about 100eur used.
From what I've read whatsapp and skype don't work, but I also don't use on the tablet (I had chinese android tablet, quad core 1gb ram before). Are there any important app/service that won't work with ios6? Any updated browsers?

i have an ipad 2 right here in front of me.
Web in 2017 is heavy for this device. surfing is slow in some sites and with 512mb ram you can use only a tab.

for the rest it s the better looking ipad ever and it has the better build quality

Reactions: skinniezinho

JacobCarterX

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
Hey, so iBooks ran nicely on my iPod 5G with iOS 6.1.6 - I did find that YouTube wouldn't let me download an older version, Facebook Messengers latest version is no longer supported and won't work and FaceTime doesn't work. What apps would you be using on it? I'll check the latest version available and whether it works and get back to you:)

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
IOS 6 icon shapes. (Part of the icons are back to blend in with the background)

Attachments

• IMG_0825.PNG
    IMG_0825.PNG
    493.2 KB · Views: 555

cokomayi

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
Turkey, Istanbul
I've got 2 iOS devices, one with iOS 6.1.4 and one with 8.2 (pre-Apple music)

My iPhone 5 is on iOS 6 - primarily only phone, texts, a few stable apps including a running app and of course the music app which I love on iOS 6.

What about you? Are you still holding on to iOS 6? What is your main reason for sticking with it in 2017?

Yes, I'm. I have a iPhone 4S and iOS 6.1.3
So good and fast but not app xd

No WhatsApp, No Instagram(exactly), No Game
But so sweet. I love him.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I have an iPhone 4s on 6.1 and it is very smooth. Just as smooth as my 6S on iOS 10.

You can download previous versions of a lot of apps. I installed Google Maps, Instagram, Pages, and a few games all by downloading the previous versions. The phone is still very usable though web browsing is a bit slow. I don't use it daily, but it's nice to break out every now and then for its nostalgic value (it was my first iPhone).

Reactions: primarycolors

Hvz69

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
My iPad 4 is on iOS 6.0.1 and my old 4S is on 6.1.3. I love my iPad, but ever since I got my MacBook, I don't really use it much. I still love iOS 6, but recently support for it has taken a giant decline and it's not as useful as it was 3 months ago. I love the design and the way the design ties into the functionality makes it miles better than what iOS is today. Sadly I don't think we will ever see Apple in that direction again, and it really is a shame. All the whiteness and dull icons in iOS 10 just make it so boring to use. It's better than Android, but nothing will ever outrule iOS 6 except iOS 6 itself. If I knew how to work code in iOS, I would personally work on iOS 6 and make it even better.

I totally agree with you. Ever since iOS 7 was released, Apple's look was ruined. And from iPhone 6 they ruined the design too. Today the feel of iPhone is never the same like the time we had iPhone 4S / 5 running iOS 6.

I have a iPad mini 1 running iOS9, and im planning to downgrade to the beautiful iOS 6. Even though iOS6 has very limited apps, Playing music, movies or reading books should be fine.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
It is fun to take an iPhone 5C (white and new) and jailbreak it with Phoenix. Add 'classic ios' along with sixbar and classiclockscreen for an iOS6 appearance. Add classic wallpapers and google what the screen of an iPhone 5 with iOS6 looks like (stock)- rearrange the icons to match and damn, kind of, sort of running the old iOS on a iDevice (that never supported it).

Oh, don't forget to reduce motion and go into sounds and change back to classic ringtones/sounds.

KuSoDb8.png

KuSoDb8.png

Last edited:

skeleton11223

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
Just installed IOS 6 on my iPad 2 with coolbooter, it's so much smoother and running older versions of apps is much better than running new apps that lag a ton and even the latest versions of apps support it and it's still smoother.
Also, looking back, I notice that IOS 6 on the iPad has a lot more differences to the iPhone than it does on IOS 7+.
(White navigation bars instead of blue, contacts, calendar, and clock have unique UI's, the Safari layout is different, the clock icon is different, and it has the picture frame feature.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.