Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
2H7YFTmh.png
This photo pi**es me off. :) I'm reminded how Jony Ive's team ruined OS by dumbing-down the stoplight buttons' appearance (shown as all grey here for whatever reason) as well as -- at first glance, quick, anyone answer: Is "Mac" or "iOS" selected?
What's even more "fun" is that it works in exactly the opposite way in the following example, i.e. Notifications is selected here:
notif.png

Reactions: trellus

KingSH007

Suspended
May 31, 2017
How would you install it on a 4? Isn’t it impossible to do that, due to apple’s Chinese finger trap way of managing software updates? Or is the phone jailbroken?
[doublepost=1514518530][/doublepost]

The iPhone 4 has the A4 chip, which has a public bootrom exploit. Tools exist that force a firmware on the device, and force it to boot, despite Apple not signing it.

Incidentally, at the time, the device was jailbroken as well, but that is not required to perform these forced downgraded (usually called tethered downgrades, as you need to use a computer and a program to boot the device).
It was jailbroken because iOS 6 is intolerable without a jailbreak (no quick toggles, no trackpad feature for keyboard, no quick reply, etc.). If you are running iOS 6, a jailbreak will breathe new life into your device.

iiAdonutii

Suspended
Jan 13, 2018
You first back up your iPhone onto your computer, then you download the ios 6.1.3 ipsw from ipsw.me then to restore it with iTunes you hold down shift (or command if you are on a mac) and then click the restore button. Then, you select the ipsw and it will begin restoring to ios 6.1.3 MAKE SURE TO BACK UP YOU PHONE, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DATA!

gz42s

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
You're liking the macOS variant more, because it's almost identical to Mavericks and older in design and functionality. High Sierra is the first version of the "modern" era to actually bring under the hood changes. High Sierra is smoother with system animations and such, but loading times are slower and many apps run very flaky for some reason (Photoshop CS6 hates HS)

iOS on the other hand changes every year, which is annoying because it breaks a thousand things, and makes older devices run like garbage, because Apple didn't bother to optimize the changes they made. My 6S throttles to performance levels you'd expect from a 5S or 6, yet my 6S still outperforms those devices, even though they are running at the same speeds. I never noticed it until recently and it adds to the flame that Apple is doing something to older devices and we can't figure out what. #Capitalism

I read somewhere (I can't find the link) that when developing iOS 11, Apple had two choices: optimize iOS 11 (on all devices) for the A11 Bionic Chip and Bionic processor, or just have that optimization be for the iPhone 8/8+/X. They chose the former, which is why iOS 11 has had so many issues with bad battery life. I'm hoping this changes. My battery sucks on my iPhone 5s.

glove00001

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
Coastal Georgia
as of yesterday, Apple started signing ios 6.1.3 for the 4s. Give that a try
yes, i saw it was still signing 6.1.3 and 9.3.5 - but one site showed it not still signing 6.1.3 - but I tried it anyway and now I have two iphone 4s - each running iOS 6 and I can use my old apps again! this is great except some apps not working but my iphone 4s is much faster than 7.1.3 which I had previously. iOS 7 had a lot of issues with websites and crashing.

alifuleeh

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2018
your answer seems no :)

i wish i could, i m using IPhone 4S and IPad2 with A5 chip, and with IOS9 they re slow :)

with ios6 my idevices were perfect !

I just downgraded my iPhone 4s from iOS 9 to iOS 6.1.3 with my iTunes it just download the 6.1.3 Ipsw and restore it with iTunes. It will work

Reactions: trellus

alifuleeh

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2018
Yes, Apple is signing iOS 6.1.3 for iPhone 4S and original iPad 2.

Yes but I have one problem
I Have more then one emails
So gmail yahoo hotmail and iCloud mail and only iCloud work the other tell me the password is incorrect I try allot with different email and the same any recommended why to fix this
Thx

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
So gmail yahoo hotmail and iCloud mail and only iCloud work the other tell me the password is incorrect I try allot with different email and the same any recommended why to fix this
Thx
I'm not sure, I've never had an issue like that before. I use Yahoo and Gmail for my email.

iSearch

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
Thx

Are you talking about the Mail app? If so, you need to go into the settings of your email accounts and turn off some security setting. Alternatively, you may have to manually add your email account to the Mail app instead.

alifuleeh

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2018
Are you talking about the Mail app? If so, you need to go into the settings of your email accounts and turn off some security setting. Alternatively, you may have to manually add your email account to the Mail app instead.
Yes can you tell how so

iSearch

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
Yes can you tell how so

For Yahoo! Mail:

Use this option for older versions of the OS, which do not support the automated setup.

1. Open the iOS Settings app.
  2. Tap Accounts & Passwords (or Mail, Contacts, Calendar on older devices).
  3. Tap Add Account.
  4. Tap Other.
  5. Enter your full email address and password, then tap Next.
  6. Enter our IMAP settings for incoming and outgoing servers.
  7. Enter your email address for the user name, then tap Next.
  8. Make sure "Use SSL" is on and "Server Port" is 587, then tap Done.

This step may not be necessary, but you can also go to the Yahoo! Mail desktop site, click on your account picture, click on Account Info, click on Account Security, login again, and make sure "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" is turned on.

For Gmail, go to https://myaccount.google.com/u/1/security?hl=en, scroll all the way down and make sure "Allow less secure apps" is turned on.

For Outlook, I'm not sure, but maybe you can try following the steps on this page. https://support.office.com/en-gb/ar...5cc-8da1-5cefc1e633d1?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

Last edited:

3:16

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
My 8 GB 4S isn't downgrading to iOS 6. It's stuck on waiting for iPhone to respond with empty progress bar. Any help!

By the way my 4S is 2015 made

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
My 8 GB 4S isn't downgrading to iOS 6. It's stuck on waiting for iPhone to respond with empty progress bar. Any help!

By the way my 4S is 2015 made
I don't think the 8GB will work. I believe it only works for the older 16-64GB models.

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
I don't think the 8GB will work. I believe it only works for the older 16-64GB models.
Second that. The 8GB 4S wasn't introduced until 2013 with the 5S, so it shipped with iOS 7 IIRC. While the 4S hardware is compatible with iOS 6, since there wasn't an 8GB model when that version was current, I doubt it will work.
No. Some 8GB 4S models are able to downgrade to ios 6,

I bought two 8 GB 4S models (both 2015) i was able to downgrade the one of them.

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
Oh really, that's awesome then. I would not have thought that possible. Interesting that only some of them are able to be successfully downgraded.
Yeah really, there're still 8 GB models that can be downgraded to iOS 6, I managed to downgrade one but I'm stuck on other with empty progress bar.
705A47FF-CB92-40E5-8110-6025A595BE47.jpeg

Here's is one I managed to downgrade

Arkmaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2018
Arkansas
I've got 2 iOS devices, one with iOS 6.1.4 and one with 8.2 (pre-Apple music)

My iPhone 5 is on iOS 6 - primarily only phone, texts, a few stable apps including a running app and of course the music app which I love on iOS 6.

What about you? Are you still holding on to iOS 6? What is your main reason for sticking with it in 2017?

Anyone here have an iPhone 5 thats 64GB and running 6.1.4? I have searched and searched but can't find one... Even a 64GB 4S on 6.1.3 would work perfectly. Any ideas were I can get one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.