Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CraigB1960

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
So, you reached the "perfect white" even white the true tone on?
And th end of your suggestion you keep turned on the true tone?

Hard to believe it works, but it worth a try :)
I did something similar, not as extreme. Worked with TT and then color filters, turning them on then off. By the time I finished with settings, I had TT on, color filters off, auto brightness on and the screen looks great. Same for my wife's 11 Pro Max.

I am a retired EE, but also a Nikon Pro that shot a lot of technical research material. I am super sensitive to accurate color and white balance. My phone is pleasant to view now.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I did something similar, not as extreme. Worked with TT and then color filters, turning them on then off. By the time I finished with settings, I had TT on, color filters off, auto brightness on and the screen looks great. Same for my wife's 11 Pro Max.

I am a retired EE, but also a Nikon Pro that shot a lot of technical research material. I am super sensitive to accurate color and white balance. My phone is pleasant to view now.

Thanks for your feedback.
Did you follow the procedure above?

Can you explain exactly your procedure? Really interested :)

Last edited:

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
A little side question - is Samsung the only supplier of OLED displays to Apple this year?

Thanks!

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
A little side question - is Samsung the only supplier of OLED displays to Apple this year?

Thanks!

LG was supposed to share the 2019 load. Exactly which displays they’re supposed to be supplying for we’re unsure.

However they’ve had issues.

Reactions: igroeg

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
@m0sher - Thanks for replying. So it's not clear whether LG is supplying some of the displays this year or not. And I guess there's no way to check that information with a device S/N?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
When I first got my Pro Max and compared side by side I could clearly see it was a tad more yellow than the XS Max. However, after using it now for a month when I compare them they are pretty close so I don't know if it takes time for the display to break in a tad bit, but they are hardly distinguishable at this point. This comes up each time Apple drops a new iPhone.

I tend to agree here. When I upgraded to the XS from the X. My XS screen colors were warmer than my X, but I still kept it. This year, I compared the 11 Pro I received to my XS. The 11 Pro colors were warmer than my XS. I ultimately returned the 11 Pro, but as @OTACORB says, this happens each year when Apple drops a new phone.

CraigB1960

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Thanks for your feedback.
Did you follow the procedure above?

Can you explain exactly your procedure? Really interested :)
I did not follow any procedure, however what I did was turn off TT, cranked the brightness to max, went to Accessibility and under Display & Text Size, turned off Auto Brightness, I turned on the Increased Contrast. I then went into the Color filters and turned on the filters and cycled through them all ending with none selected. Turned off Color Filters, Turned on Auto Brightness.

Went back to the Display & Brightness and turned on True Tone.

When all was said and done, my display looks good. When I compare to a white sheet of paper, it is right on. When compared with my MacBook Pro screen, it is slight yellow, but my Mac display is too blue IMO.

Color balance is tricky since your eyes will adjust and correct on its own.

Reactions: narjisse

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I know it’s been stated before and IT IS NOT a proper solution but I’m using the color filter plus a bit of Night Shift to compensate for the color filter going too far blue. It’s far from perfect but it’s the best we can do at the moment.

It’s unfortunate that Apple hasn’t added a proper white point calibration setting to iOS after all these years of development.

Reactions: lomka

lomka

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2019
I know it’s been stated before and IT IS NOT a proper solution but I’m using the color filter plus a bit of Night Shift to compensate for the color filter going too far blue. It’s far from perfect but it’s the best we can do at the moment.

It’s unfortunate that Apple hasn’t added a proper white point calibration setting to iOS after all these years of development.
I'm actually using the same "solution"

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012

I’m actually using filter +True Tone, in order too boost up the white when I’m outside.

I’ve got the hue bar around 3/4, and a very few hue (less than half an inch).

from tomorrow i‘ll try without the filter and see if my eyes get used.

don’t know if it’s the same for you but outdoor the True Tone really give me aceiso white display. If it is turned off the display get noticeably more red.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
The OLED definitely looks different depending on the brightness of your environment (even with True Tone and auto brightness off). I actually like the white point if I’m in a very bright environment without messing with the color filter, True Tone or night shift. I’m going to look into creating a shortcut that toggles both the color filter and night shift. This way I can enable/disable the change with one shortcut widget button.

Silver4

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
I was following this thread before I decided to take the plunge, I was one of the unlucky ones who had to trade in my XS a few times because of a dingy display.

I may have gotten lucky this time around - the display on my Pro Max is definitely white(r). The XS Max actually looked warmer next to it when I did my trade in. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the comparison, I did this in store.

In case this is helpful for anyone. Phone size is 256GB, unlocked sim-free.
Screenshot_2019-10-23 SNDeepInfo.png

seaw

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Just watched a comparison video of iOS 13.2 vs the older version by Everything Apple Pro on YouTube. Sorry can’t copy the link somehow, but you’ll find it. The iPhone Pro with 13.2 has clearly a brighter, whiter screen than the one with the older version. Either he has two Pros with clearly different screens and he does not notice it (or does not want to mention it) or Apple fixed something with 13.2 ?????

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched a comparison video of iOS 13.2 vs the older version by Everything Apple Pro on YouTube. Sorry can’t copy the link somehow, but you’ll find it. The iPhone Pro with 13.2 has clearly a brighter, whiter screen than the one with the older version. Either he has two Pros with clearly different screens and he does not notice it (or does not want to mention it) or Apple fixed something with 13.2 ?????
That makes total sense to me, as my iPhone 11 Pro is definitely whiter now and I compare it to my desk screens daily (I have 2 LCD monitors at work). It's warmer but nothing like a month ago when the difference was staggering. I think they've already done that in 13.1.3. Apple could've pumped up the blues.

socceryo3

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
That makes total sense to me, as my iPhone 11 Pro is definitely whiter now and I compare it to my desk screens daily (I have 2 LCD monitors at work). It's warmer but nothing like a month ago when the difference was staggering. I think they've already done that in 13.1.3. Apple could've pumped up the blues.

13.2 changed nothing with the display.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
13.2 changed nothing with the display.

Just the fact they’re acclimating to the new white point perhaps ?

Without another iphone next to it, you’ll acclimate to what you’re seeing over time as norm.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I don’t think 13.2 makes any difference on my device. Maybe one has true tone disabled or perhaps there are indeed significant variations in display quality.

socceryo3

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
Just the fact they’re acclimating to the new white point perhaps ?

Without another iphone next to it, you’ll acclimate to what you’re seeing over time as norm.
I don’t think 13.2 makes any difference on my device. Maybe one has true tone disabled or perhaps there are indeed significant variations in display quality.

It's acclimation. I've been through four 11 Pros and finally staying with fourth one, though I'm still not completely pleased with it. When updating to 13.2 beta there was no change in the display at all. However, I am getting used to the display being different than what I expect each time I look at it. Even though I'm still paying attention to the color of the whites, I'm finding that it's easier to move past it and just get back to using my phone. I do still notice the difference. As someone else said, the whites are more like an ivory with True Tone off. But my brain is "sticking" less on the off-white. It's less jarring to me because I'm starting to get used to the screen and expect it. But the screen itself has not changed.

Reactions: Jutah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.