Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonBonJoey

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
Hello friends. My previous post said I was happy with my warmer replacement. I was wrong. Started using dark mode and there is this awful red blemish on the entire right side of the phone. The biggest problem I've yet to see on an otherwise fine phone I was planning on keeping. Returned it and got another chance to get the thrice heaven blessed once in a lifetime purple unicorn's golden egg.

Unfortunately the replacement has a red tinge not while in dark mode, but just everywhere else on a bright screen. Same spot funny enough. Same factory, 2 weeks newer. I am big sad because this is the coolest phone I've gotten yet.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-10-30 103922.png
    Annotation 2019-10-30 103922.png
    11 KB · Views: 271

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Now this is interesting. Here is decoded S/N info from 11 Pro Max I got 1.5 weeks ago:

Model: A2161
Factory: FK1 - China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn
Year: 2019
Week: 40 (30.09 - 06.10)

And here is the one I got yesterday (with slightly more yellow tint but more uniform screen and tiny scratch on the telephoto lens):

Week: 35 (26.08 - 01.09)

I wonder if the one I got yesterday was previously returned to Apple? I know that they are not supposed to sell returned items as new, but still...

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I know I could probably go through the 40 pages of this thread to see if this was asked before but I’ll ask it here. Has anyone called Apple support or gone to an Apple store to ask them what the color of the display SHOULD look like? Just curious to see if that was worthwhile or maybe they didn’t have an answer.

Last edited:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Love to hear from an Apple spokesperson to comment on why these screens are Warner each year and why can’t we / they can’t adjust it?

Because nearly all computer screens and TVs, including Apple's, are incorrectly cool to appear brighter to consumers. Go buy a color calibrator and calibrate your monitors. Once you see how warm the D65 standard is supposed to be, you'll realize how bad everything else is. On any properly calibrated screen, D65 white looks yellow.

Or another rough test: get a high quality piece of printer paper (brightness close to 100). Go outside on a clear day in direct sunlight and hold it next to the phone. The white should match.

Last edited:

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I know you guys prefer everything to be calibrated by default but for me on my 11 pro max I just went into the color filters and put the hue bar a little to the right just at the end of the bottom bar that takes you to the home screen and everything looks cooler(better) now.

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
I know you guys prefer everything to be calibrated by default but for me on my 11 pro max I just went into the color filters and put the hue bar a little to the right just at the end of the bottom bar that takes you to the home screen and everything looks cooler(better) now.

It is not the same as properly adjusting white point though as it affects overall color accuracy. Also it just makes everything dimmer.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
So did you return yours or do you have a good display

No, mine has yellow tint, so still debating whether I should return or keep it. I’ve got another one, but it is also yellow (even more yellow than my first one) and has a tiny scratch on the inside of telephoto lens. However it doesn’t seem to affect the quality and it consistently produces sharper images with more detail and less noise on telephoto. The difference is very minor, but still.

So, I haven’t decided whether I want to keep my current one or try another... I probably won’t keep the new one despite marginally better camera output, as there is no improvement in screen quality.

It all takes time and I’m not sure if I want to spend even more time on it.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
No, mine has yellow tint, so still debating whether I should return or keep it. I’ve got another one, but it is also yellow (even more yellow than my first one) and has a tiny scratch on the inside of telephoto lens. However it doesn’t seem to affect the quality and it consistently produces sharper images with more detail and less noise on telephoto. The difference is very minor, but still.

So, I haven’t decided whether I want to keep my current one or try another... I probably won’t keep the new one despite marginally better camera output, as there is no improvement in screen quality.

It all takes time and I’m not sure if I want to spend even more time on it.
Well my return window ended tonight so I own it now. my has had some yellow but again I adjusted the hue in the color filter and I’m just going to forget about it. It is what it is. I still have 45 days to get Apple care on it so I can take advantage and get a replacement if it becomes necessary down the road

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Well my return window ended tonight so I own it now. my has had some yellow but again I adjusted the hue in the color filter and I’m just going to forget about it. It is what it is. I still have 45 days to get Apple care on it so I can take advantage and get a replacement if it becomes necessary down the road

If it’s been just one day I’m guessing they might make an exception. If they don’t ask to speak to their supervisor. They almost always will comply.
If that fails just write a scathing review about your experience and you’d get a callback in the next couple days trying to make it right.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
If it’s been just one day I’m guessing they might make an exception. If they don’t ask to speak to their supervisor. They almost always will comply.
If that fails just write a scathing review about your experience and you’d get a callback in the next couple days trying to make it right.
What’s funny is I never thought there were issues with it until I registered with macforum rumors. Lol. It’ll be fine. And actually you know what, I have comfort in knowing most people have these types of displays. It’s the norm and I’m sure next year if I decide to sell it no value will be lost

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
What’s funny is I never thought there were issues with it until I registered with macforum rumors. Lol. It’ll be fine. And actually you know what, I have comfort in knowing most people have these types of displays. It’s the norm and I’m sure next year if I decide to sell it no value will be lost

Not even one penny loss difference. Luckily when you turn in your phone for trade in, phone carriers or Apple aren’t going into a dark room looking at screen uniformity or if displays are too warm for their opinion. :p

infoghost

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
Maine
My yellow tint story. I bought an 11 Pro from ATT on launch day, it had some crap under the lens that bothered me (more than a speck of dust, almost like a scratch or glue or something, I don't know.) Apple wouldn't swap it, claimed it was cosmetic, so I sent it back to ATT. After all the return stuff got straightened out, I got a new 11 Pro straight from the Apple store. The screen on the original was also fine, so I had somewhat of a comparison when I got the new phone.

The new phone was so yellow. And this is coming from a guy who likes warmer colors, who even will put night shift on top of true tone in the past at times. I had to turn true tone completely off or it just looked gross most of the time. The screen without true tone almost looked like my other phones with it on. With true tone on, it was just awful.

Returned it, got a new one with a much better screen. True tone works as it should. Disappointing, I've had so many iPhones over the years that were just fine on day one, I've never returned one before this. With so many being made, I am sure there are a few less than perfect ones out there.

Anyhow, it's not a made-up thing for sure. Return it for a new one if you are unhappy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonBonJoey

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
An update - I decided to play the lottery one more time and exchanged the one with scratched lens with another unit.

What’s funny, there is also a scratch/dent, but on the outside radius of the lens, so it’s purely cosmetic and it’s tiny - looks like a small dust particle. So nothing to obsess over here.

The display was less yellow than the one I got before even after I first turned it on, but noticeably yellower than my original one. Just like the one before it, it slowly became less yellow and now almost exactly matches my original one. The screen is also a bit more uniform, but it has a purple tint in complete darkness. My original one has slight greenish tint, but shows some patches of darkness when using very dark grey color on minimal brightness.

The new one still looks slightly warmer than my original one, but not much. So I’ll probably keep the new one as I wanted to upgrade storage too.

It’s manufactured the same week as my current one:

So it looks like it is calibrated this way. A bit more yellow than my X, but fairly consistent between units. Also, it looks like the color balance is off when you first turn it on, but adjusts over time to be less yellow.

Tannabanana91

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2019
Compared to my XS Max, my new Pro Max definitely has a warmer display. However if I don't compare them side by side I don't really notice it.

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! It was driving me crazy and I see others are alsosuper annoyed. I had to create an account so I could help you guys out!!!!!!! The first statement is how to change it and the second one is what I have mine set to!!!
THIS WILL SAVE THE DAY!!!!!!
1572587844463.png

[automerge]1572587913[/automerge]
An update - I decided to play the lottery one more time and exchanged the one with scratched lens with another unit.

What’s funny, there is also a scratch/dent, but on the outside radius of the lens, so it’s purely cosmetic and it’s tiny - looks like a small dust particle. So nothing to obsess over here.

The display was less yellow than the one I got before even after I first turned it on, but noticeably yellower than my original one. Just like the one before it, it slowly became less yellow and now almost exactly matches my original one. The screen is also a bit more uniform, but it has a purple tint in complete darkness. My original one has slight greenish tint, but shows some patches of darkness when using very dark grey color on minimal brightness.

The new one still looks slightly warmer than my original one, but not much. So I’ll probably keep the new one as I wanted to upgrade storage too.

It’s manufactured the same week as my current one:

So it looks like it is calibrated this way. A bit more yellow than my X, but fairly consistent between units. Also, it looks like the color balance is off when you first turn it on, but adjusts over time to be less yellow.

HERS THE FIX ???
You are welcome!!!!!!!
[automerge]1572587981[/automerge]
I know I could probably go through the 40 pages of this thread to see if this was asked before but I’ll ask it here. Has anyone called Apple support or gone to an Apple store to ask them what the color of the display SHOULD look like? Just curious to see if that was worthwhile or maybe they didn’t have an answer.

HERES THE FIX ????

Attachments

• 3A21CD74-F122-416B-A92A-0E62B9DC0A2D.png
    3A21CD74-F122-416B-A92A-0E62B9DC0A2D.png
    350.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 435253F0-0672-449E-98B1-FA2040E8DDEC.png
    435253F0-0672-449E-98B1-FA2040E8DDEC.png
    640.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 0E14D904-5839-4B95-9588-AB218A0F223B.png
    0E14D904-5839-4B95-9588-AB218A0F223B.png
    350.1 KB · Views: 180
  • EE56D6F2-5F76-43A0-B879-E17995B78AE9.png
    EE56D6F2-5F76-43A0-B879-E17995B78AE9.png
    640.4 KB · Views: 169
  • E23131E7-C109-4C03-B867-0D2445C75215.png
    E23131E7-C109-4C03-B867-0D2445C75215.png
    640.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DAA70592-B408-4689-9F64-42EFC90610F6.png
    DAA70592-B408-4689-9F64-42EFC90610F6.png
    350.1 KB · Views: 148

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! It was driving me crazy and I see others are alsosuper annoyed. I had to create an account so I could help you guys out!!!!!!! The first statement is how to change it and the second one is what I have mine set to!!!
THIS WILL SAVE THE DAY!!!!!!

Thanks, but it has been discussed a few times in this thread. You can shift color balance this way, but since it’s a color filter overlaid on top of the screen contents, it will mess up accuracy of other colors and make everything dimmer. Not a proper replacement for white point adjustment, unfortunately.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
This is how I set mine up. someone had suggested this after My post. I tried it out and it’s perfect for me now. satisfied. you mentioned setting the intensity all the way to the left and i didn’t see that in any of your attachments. Also, mysteriously, my intensity was already set all the way to the left. I just adjusted the hue 75% or so to the right. And yes as you said you have to adjust the hue to your liking. But in my attachment I guestimated around that 75% mark. Oh yes, now I remember where I got the suggestion. I saw it on reddit
[automerge]1572593879[/automerge]
I haven’t paid attention to it messing with color accuracy or making it dimmer. I’ll need to spend some time with the adjusted settings to see if that’s the case

Attachments

• 8F4C4678-6D77-47E9-8A13-B08D9D28095E.png
    8F4C4678-6D77-47E9-8A13-B08D9D28095E.png
    654.7 KB · Views: 166

socceryo3

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
I haven’t paid attention to it messing with color accuracy or making it dimmer. I’ll need to spend some time with the adjusted settings to see if that’s the case
You can literally just toggle it on and off (without dark mode on) and notice that it tints all the colors blue and makes the screen dimmer. It's not a fix. It's a terrible workaround that was designed only to make things easier to see for people with vision impairments (hence why it's under Accessibility settings). It was never designed to remove a color cast from the screen and maintain color accuracy.

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
Color filters setting applies as per the feature name a filter so this is not a proper screen calibration and beyond getting the screen dimmer it will affect the color accuracy too.

As long as Apple will not push a proper screen calibration setting or implement such screen profiles there will be no way to fix it.

I recall that they were some workarounds with the iPhone jailbreak but for me it would not be an option since I prefer to not hack my iPhone.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Me ne many other users wrote a specific feedback to Apple here Apple Product Feedback asking for a specific color temperature / white calibration function in order to fix those yellow screens

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018

It seems like I will stick to my original one, after all. This new one has very pronounced purple tint at the top of the screen and green at the bottom when using in dark mode with gray background on lowest brightness settings. I use it this way almost every evening, so it’s a deal breaker for me.

Today is the last day I can return my original, so I’m done playing screen lottery. As much as I wanted more storage, the original one still has the best screen of them all.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Sorry but if I’m paying upwards of 1K for my phone there is no way I’m applying a half ass’d filter to make the display look normal or kinda acceptable. Also these colour filters distort colour elsewhere (System wide) while trying to achieve a cooler palette.

Quality control on these OLED displays is shocking. Many devices that would usually be sin binned on the factory floor are making it to apple store shelves. That’s not cool. Sort yourself out Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.