Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
It's acclimation. I've been through four 11 Pros and finally staying with fourth one, though I'm still not completely pleased with it. When updating to 13.2 beta there was no change in the display at all. However, I am getting used to the display being different than what I expect each time I look at it. Even though I'm still paying attention to the color of the whites, I'm finding that it's easier to move past it and just get back to using my phone. I do still notice the difference. As someone else said, the whites are more like an ivory with True Tone off. But my brain is "sticking" less on the off-white. It's less jarring to me because I'm starting to get used to the screen and expect it. But the screen itself has not changed.

I feel exactly the same, I'm completely use to the display color now.

The only problem is when I use my MacBook / Monitor and switch between that and my phone, it's really apparent how yellow it is for a minute until your eyes acclimate again.

I do think Apple can adjust this via software but I don't think they will.

Dogman12

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2017
Just bought mine today. 11 Pro.

Same yellow as hundreds of those here in the topic. Read whole 38 pages. Seems like it's a lottery with a low chance to win (during 38 pages saw only few pretty white phones).

Can't even compare with my Iphone 7, white one (even comes to blue, which is better IMO), and 11 Pro, which is so yellow. It is so noticeable after you just switch from Macbook Pro.

Did anyone get used to it? How is it going after 1 month with a phone? Any feedback? Maybe you got used to it, someone even wrote it became whiter over time (don't know how could it be, but still)

JonBonJoey

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
Definitely warmer display. In fact a tiny bit warmer than my previous week 39. But this screen is less dingy.

I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this but in addition to uneven brightness in the edges and brighter bottom, some phones have this problem that I can only describe as a yellow mask. It's like the very top layer of the display has this yellow cast that could be actually less warm than another display, but instantly appears when you look at it straight on. If you look in other angles it goes away but is super annoying, not every display has the same degree of this yellow masking tape (when TT on) and I'm glad the warmer replacement doesn't have this problem to such a degree.

The display model in the apple store had a iPhone 11 Pro max that was cooler than my phone so it does exist people. It's just a unicorn.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-10-25 142349.png
    Annotation 2019-10-25 142349.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Reactions: socceryo3

mountainmystic1

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Definitely warmer display. In fact a tiny bit warmer than my previous week 39. But this screen is less dingy.

I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this but in addition to uneven brightness in the edges and brighter bottom, some phones have this problem that I can only describe as a yellow mask. It's like the very top layer of the display has this yellow cast that could be actually less warm than another display, but instantly appears when you look at it straight on. If you look in other angles it goes away but is super annoying, not every display has the same degree of this yellow masking tape (when TT on) and I'm glad the warmer replacement doesn't have this problem to such a degree.

The display model in the apple store had a iPhone 11 Pro max that was cooler than my phone so it does exist people. It's just a unicorn.
That’s how mine was too. When viewed slightly tilted (5 degrees or so) down and to the right it looked great. Returned it because straight on it looked way too yellow.

JonBonJoey

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
That’s how mine was too. When viewed slightly tilted (5 degrees or so) down and to the right it looked great. Returned it because straight on it looked way too yellow.

Did you end up purchasing another one? My new iPhone has a colorshift similar to my X and is not a problem despite being warmer by like 5%. I'm waiting for someone to post their week 41 phone ?

Alex586

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
Got my third today. Week 42 (October 15). Good color balance. The best one (first: week 33, second 37). Little warmer than an XS, but I think I’ll keep it ! I don’t want to try the 5% greyscale ?

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Got my third today. Week 42 (October 15). Good color balance. The best one (first: week 33, second 37). Little warmer than an XS, but I think I’ll keep it ! I don’t want to try the 5% greyscale ?

You’ll see it in night mode on Mac rumors. Might as well get a jump on it and check

Reactions: socceryo3

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My 11 Pro (week 36) has a slightly warmer screen than my MacBook Pro and iPad, but it is even and has a slight blue shift when tilted. I have True Tone on my MacBook and iPad but not the phone so when I change devices the phone looks more white than the other two. They all look white when using them individually. When I turn True Tone off on my MacBook, the screen turns a jarring blue/white until my eyes accommodate.

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017

did you return your 11 for going back to the 11 Pro?

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
My 11 Pro Max has a slight yellow tint at the top and greenish at the bottom. I don’t notice it unless I’m looking closely and it’s more noticeable at dim settings.

lomka

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Besides the display being warmer, I have noticed, that grays shift towards green when on medium to low brightness, compared to higher brightness levels, is this the case with you too?

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Besides the display being warmer, I have noticed, that grays shift towards green when on medium to low brightness, compared to higher brightness levels, is this the case with you too?

Yep, especially at the bottom of the screen. At high brightness it’s whiter and more uniform.

Dogman12

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2017
I have a feeling that they're all pretty same yellowish. You just didn't compare them side by side.

Reactions: Jim McN and m0sher

seaw

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
I have a feeling that they're all pretty same yellowish. You just didn't compare them side by side.
I compared 2 Pros side by side in the Apple store. And also under those light conditions one seamed way more yellow than the other.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Did you notice some variation with the 13.2? Seems a little less warm... but probably it’s just placebo.

today I compared mine with many display model.The floor panel have all the same calibration, slightly different from my model.

I think we do not have to benchmark with the floor units because them all have a specific software, with a limited brightness and a mild different calibration.

Reactions: kirk.vino

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Did you notice some variation with the 13.2? Seems a little less warm... but probably it’s just placebo.

today I compared mine with many display model.The floor panel have all the same calibration, slightly different from my model.

I think we do not have to benchmark with the floor units because them all have a specific software, with a limited brightness and a mild different calibration.
I've said that multiple times here before as well (pertaining to the floor units and their different calibration/software). Thank you!

Reactions: Jutah

socceryo3

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
I've said that multiple times here before as well (pertaining to the floor units and their different calibration/software). Thank you!
I don't see how this holds up though because clearly people have been having vastly different experiences comparing to display models. Some people say that almost every model they look at is equal or worse, some say they found some that are better, etc. By this logic the display models should all be better or at least more or less the same as each other, but that's not the case. People have even compared display models right beside each other and seen that one is better than the other. If Apple actually were calibrating the display models better, they'd all be better. If it were running special software to preserve the screen, they'd all look worse. It seems like, at least display-wise, they're the same random lottery as the retail models.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this holds up though because clearly people have been having vastly different experiences comparing to display models. Some people say that almost every model they look at is equal or worse, some say they found some that are better, etc. By this logic the display models should all be better or at least more or less the same as each other, but that's not the case. People have even compared display models right beside each other and seen that one is better than the other. If Apple actually were calibrating the display models better, they'd all be better. If it were running special software to preserve the screen, they'd all look worse. It seems like, at least display-wise, they're the same random lottery as the retail models.
They are all dimmer at max with Auto Brightness off, but brighter with it on than the retail units with the same settings. You can check every single store unit and you’ll see the exact same thing. Nobody’s talking about anything else here. The amount and intensity of tint/color shift/uniformity is, of course, individual, as you can’t manufacture them to be identical in that regard.

YellowApple

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Does anyone know whether upgrading an iPhone X from iOS 12.4.1 to 13.X will destroy the pristine white background on the iPhone X? I’m scared it will look like the iPhone 11 Pro.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Does anyone know whether upgrading an iPhone X from iOS 12.4.1 to 13.X will destroy the pristine white background on the iPhone X? I’m scared it will look like the iPhone 11 Pro.
Bahahahhahhahahahhahahahha too funny. Actually iOS 13 is so buggy it will turn into a Samsung phone

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
So, I decided to play screen lottery and buy another 11 Pro Max (with more storage). While I was waiting, I looked at all demo units and they were all even warmer than mine.

So I finally got a new one, turned it on and it was much warmer then mine. I set it up anyway, installed the newest update, turned off and back on True Tone and set it aside for a while.

So I was very surprised that when I turned it on next time it was almost identical to my current one. I really couldn’t tell the difference, both with True Tone off and on. But it was definitely warmer when I first set it up (also with True Tone off and on).

The new one does have a slightly reddish tint when viewing at angle, while my current one exhibits greenish tint. The new one appears to be more uniform, especially in dark when displaying dark gray image.

However, the new one also has a small scratch/spot in the telephoto lens coating. So now it’s lens lottery too :) Granted, it’s barely visible and doesn’t seem to affect the quality. If anything, the new one is even a bit sharper than mine.

So, now I need to decide which one to keep - the one with minor lens defect or my current one with slightly less uniform screen. All I know is that I don’t want to waste my time playing this lottery again.

Ignorance is bliss indeed. I was perfectly fine with my current 11 Pro Max before I decided to compare it to my previous X just before trading that one in.

Reactions: m0sher

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
-Sni

Ignorance is bliss indeed. I was perfectly fine with my current 11 Pro Max before I decided to compare it to my previous X just before trading that one in.

I said exact thing myself earlier in this thread regarding my experience. Thanks for sharing yours.

Once you see something you can’t “un-see” it. Where you otherwise wouldn’t have known any different and would have been happy from the get-go.

My eldest son bought his Pro 11 and after I told him about the yellow tint I was reading about before he opened his box, it’s the 1st thing he noticed and thanked me for jinxing him. He tuned TT off and luckily is happy with the much whiter but bluish tint.

Its like once you find a dead pixel on your computer display, it’s all you can see no matter what you do.

I understand wanting to make sure you received a good product for your valuable purchase. On the flip side, there’s OCD.

One thing I gave up on is trying to find the purple unicorn’s golden egg. Close enough uniformity is good enough for me.

Love to hear from an Apple spokesperson to comment on why these screens are Warner each year and why can’t we / they can’t adjust it?

Reactions: Eugr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.