Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agenesis

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
Saw this thread and bought two just in case. Automatic brightness off, true tone off. Max brightness.

One has a yellow tint to it and reminiscent of the pixel 2 blue tint. https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...6889854/pixel-2-xl-lg-display-oled-blue-shift

With how dramatic it is you'll all think I'm lying and true tone is on but nope. If you have two iPhone compare them at an angle and report back.
IMG_20200212_213737.jpg
IMG_20200212_213703.jpg
IMG_20200212_213648.jpg

IMG_20200212_213737.jpg

IMG_20200212_213703.jpg

IMG_20200212_213648.jpg

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Saw this thread and bought two just in case. Automatic brightness off, true tone off. Max brightness.

One has a yellow tint to it and reminiscent of the pixel 2 blue tint. https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...6889854/pixel-2-xl-lg-display-oled-blue-shift

With how dramatic it is you'll all think I'm lying and true tone is on but nope. If you have two iPhone compare them at an angle and report back. View attachment 894043 View attachment 894044 View attachment 894045

View attachment 894043
View attachment 894044
View attachment 894045
Yep, screen lotto is real. I just couldn't keep it up. I won't be keeping this phone anyways probably. The one on the left looks like the demo devices in the Apple Store. The one on the right looks like the original one I had. My second replacement, which is my current one, is right between.

Still yellow but it wasn't bad enough that it distorted all the other colors like my first did.

Yes, it's stupid expensive for me to be settling but I'm just like many others. It gets tiring and you risk getting one with a worse screen or another defect all together.

*Sigh*

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
The only way to play the screen lottery swaps here is if you buy outright from Apple, the Telcos won’t come at it for that lol. Especially when you can adjust in settings.

Reactions: Bstephens

Agenesis

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
The only way to play the screen lottery swaps here is if you buy outright from Apple, the Telcos won’t come at it for that lol. Especially when you can adjust in settings.
Here's my friendly tip for others who are going to do that: don't do it on your main Apple ID.

I've always been an android guy. Old habits made it so I couldn't live without bootloader unlocks and root. That severely limited my phone choices. I heard 13.3 was going to be jailbroken so I decided to buy an iPhone. Basically this is my first foray into the Apple ecosystem. I've got an Apple ID I made a few years ago from a MacBook purchase, but I've never actually made any app purchases. It's an old account, but more or less brand new and untouched digitally.

I ordered 3 iPhone pro max with the intention of picking the best one, and my ID was subsequently disabled. I called and they claim I violated their Tos. Wouldn't explain the reason to me but it's obvious why. Anyway I understand where they're coming from but I wasn't going to spend $1300 on a piss color screen. Just kind it funny how little it takes for apple to completely remove you from their ecosystem with absolutely zero recourse. I didn't lose anything so I don't regret it, but a power move like this isn't the most welcoming thing to a new user lol.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Here's my friendly tip for others who are going to do that: don't do it on your main Apple ID.

I've always been an android guy. Old habits made it so I couldn't live without bootloader unlocks and root. That severely limited my phone choices. I heard 13.3 was going to be jailbroken so I decided to buy an iPhone. Basically this is my first foray into the Apple ecosystem. I've got an Apple ID I made a few years ago from a MacBook purchase, but I've never actually made any app purchases. It's an old account, but more or less brand new and untouched digitally.

I ordered 3 iPhone pro max with the intention of picking the best one, and my ID was subsequently disabled. I called and they claim I violated their Tos. Wouldn't explain the reason to me but it's obvious why. Anyway I understand where they're coming from but I wasn't going to spend $1300 on a piss color screen. Just kind it funny how little it takes for apple to completely remove you from their ecosystem with absolutely zero recourse. I didn't lose anything so I don't regret it, but a power move like this isn't the most welcoming thing to a new user lol.
You bought three iPhones but with every intention of returning at least two of them. You’re abusing the system and they kicked you out, it’s that simple. But if you bought one and swapped it over a defect that’s a different thing and they’re going to honor their free return promise.

Regardless of how big a company is it’s totally unethical to abuse their system even if you’re a first time user. Not a valid excuse!

Reactions: Bstephens

Agenesis

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
You bought three iPhones but with every intention of returning at least two of them. You’re abusing the system and they kicked you out, it’s that simple. But if you bought one and swapped it over a defect that’s a different thing and they’re going to honor their free return promise.

Regardless of how big a company is it’s totally unethical to abuse their system even if you’re a first time user. Not a valid excuse!
For clarification the app and iTunes store was disabled. It'll no longer allow me to download apps or make iTune purchases. Not the entire Apple ID as that would be ridiculous and lock me out of my MacBook.

The ID was disabled right after purchasing. I suspect it's just a fraud alert gone wrong because 3 of the same iPhones is quite questionable. Apple had no idea if I was purchasing 3 for my family or whatever I plan to do with it.

The "honorable" thing to do would be to keep the one you just got. But I like how you threw in a little metal gymnastics in there to cover your own conscience for doing returns. I'm just doing it more efficiently. No need to virtue signal here. I don't really care if I'm in the right or wrong. I'm not paying 1.3k for a piss phone.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
For clarification the app and iTunes store was disabled. It'll no longer allow me to download apps or make iTune purchases. Not the entire Apple ID as that would be ridiculous and lock me out of my MacBook.

The ID was disabled right after purchasing. I suspect it's just a fraud alert gone wrong because 3 of the same iPhones is quite questionable. Apple had no idea if I was purchasing 3 for my family or whatever I plan to do with it.

The "honorable" thing to do would be to keep the one you just got. But I like how you threw in a little metal gymnastics in there to cover your own conscience for doing returns. I'm just doing it more efficiently. No need to virtue signal here. I don't really care if I'm in the right or wrong. I'm not paying 1.3k for a piss phone.
Good for you!

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015

With how dramatic it is you'll all think I'm lying and true tone is on but nope. If you have two iPhone compare them at an angle and report back. View attachment 894043 View attachment 894044 View attachment 894045

View attachment 894043
View attachment 894044
View attachment 894045
I was one to obsess over this and finally I struck jackpot this year with the 11 and got one looking like the left one.
After two months I tried turning true tone back on to see how long I could live with it and whether it is as bad as it was on first sight when I switch from my ‘perfect’ screen to a somewhat yellowish one. Turns out I got used to this and even prefer it now. Never looked back.

I noticed pictures having more pop to them and I even began to understand how people talk about the warmer temperature being the more accurate one among people working in professional fields regarding color accuracy. I don’t even notice the yellow or a dirty screen anymore.

Just my experience of course, but I felt I had been brainwashed by reading too much online about what is seen as the unicorn of great iphone screens and what is considered as ugly and unacceptable. Once I started this experiment I found out I clearly have a different preference.

Last edited:

Dogman12

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2017
I tried with 3 new different Iphone 11 Pro. All of them were with "yellowish" tint. I took my friend's Iphone 11 Pro Max to compare them with the new Iphone 11 pro's just out of the box. All was them were more yellowish than my friend's one. He just won the lottery.

And I just couldn't take it anymore and bought regular iPhone 11. It was a high jump since my iPhone 7.
Screen is perfectly white. True tone works as it should (not making your phone ugly yellow, but adding some yellow tint according to the lighting).

I compared screen on iPhone 11 and iPhone 7. Though on the paper it should be the same, but the difference is DRAMATIC! Iphone 11 screen is so much brighter and more vibrant. Honestly, I couldn't expect that to happen. Screen is really great, and it's not that easy to the see the real difference between OLED (especially, those yellow "pissed"ones).

I couldn't expect such great experience from changing iphone 7 to 11. So the only thing is third telephoto camera. I still missed it in iPhone 11, but I just couldn't live with that ugly yellow screen, where you can't even edit photos properly.

Totally pleased with iPhone 11, and even saved 400$.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
The inferior difference between LCD vs OLED would be unacceptable to me vs getting acclimated to the warmer display that’s not even noticeable when streaming, watching TV etc.

Dogman12

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2017
The inferior difference between LCD vs OLED would be unacceptable to me vs getting acclimated to the warmer display that’s not even noticeable when streaming, watching TV etc.
don't want to get "acclimated" to anything for 1250$ :) It could have been easier, if not my pure white MBP 2015.

Agenesis

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
I was one to obsess over this and finally I struck jackpot this year with the 11 and got one looking like the left one.
After two months I tried turning true tone back on to see how long I could live with it and whether it is as bad as it was on first sight when I switch from my ‘perfect’ screen to a somewhat yellowish one. Turns out I got used to this and even prefer it now. Never looked back.

I noticed pictures having more pop to them and I even began to understand how people talk about the warmer temperature being the more accurate one among people working in professional fields regarding color accuracy. I don’t even notice the yellow or a dirty screen anymore.

Just my experience of course, but I felt I had been brainwashed by reading too much online about what is seen as the unicorn of great iphone screens and what is considered as ugly and unacceptable. Once I started this experiment I found out I clearly have a different preference.
I agree and ultimately this is nothing to lose sleep over. First world problems, really. I also have a preference for warmer light, blue is just too clinical and industrial. Can't relax, it feels like I'm at work.

Apple advertises the iPhone to have DCI-P3 gamut with a white point of approx 6300k. With the tint people are experiencing it looks to be nowhere near that. It's not slight variations as well since it can be observed by the naked eye. The blue one I received is 5800k at best. The tinted one probably around 5000k straight on and 4500k from an angle. There's several factors at play here I assume - panel variances, screen polarizer, and even from the way the glue cured. Even if you receive a perfectly white one it can still look yellow once you tilt it. I've experienced that with several Pixel 2 XL's.

There's actually a super easy way to measure the white point if anyone has a Colorimeter. Download DisplayCal and run the remote profiling feature. It'll host a website on the computer which then you enter the provided URL through Safari on the iPhone. The site will flash through a series of color patterns and tell you the brightness, white point, and the amount of red/green/blue. You can then dial in or reduce the amount of rgb until your desired white point. This is a fixable issue, but it's better to get one within the advertised specifications. If one likes a warmer panel it's better to work from a perfect panel and turn on true tone.

I'm sure there's a jailbreak for adjusting the rgb values but I'm completely new to jailbreaking so I don't know any for now. On Android you just download a custom kernel and reduce the numerical rgb values until it hits 6300k on DisplayCal. But that is getting really in depth as if you're going to do production work on the iPhone. If I was any younger I'd continue to play the panel lottery but for now I happy as long as I get a slightly colder panel.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I tried with 3 new different Iphone 11 Pro. All of them were with "yellowish" tint. I took my friend's Iphone 11 Pro Max to compare them with the new Iphone 11 pro's just out of the box. All was them were more yellowish than my friend's one. He just won the lottery.

And I just couldn't take it anymore and bought regular iPhone 11. It was a high jump since my iPhone 7.
Screen is perfectly white. True tone works as it should (not making your phone ugly yellow, but adding some yellow tint according to the lighting).

I compared screen on iPhone 11 and iPhone 7. Though on the paper it should be the same, but the difference is DRAMATIC! Iphone 11 screen is so much brighter and more vibrant. Honestly, I couldn't expect that to happen. Screen is really great, and it's not that easy to the see the real difference between OLED (especially, those yellow "pissed"ones).

I couldn't expect such great experience from changing iphone 7 to 11. So the only thing is third telephoto camera. I still missed it in iPhone 11, but I just couldn't live with that ugly yellow screen, where you can't even edit photos properly.

7 to 11 really isn’t the same on paper, ppi aside . It’s much higher contrast

SonofAnarchy69

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
Curious as to those of you who have received your iPhone 11 Pro Max if the screen is warm or cool? With True Tone turned off of course.

I had 4 different XS Max phones (various reasons, including warranty replacements) and the screen color temperature/quality was all over the place. I had two crisp white displays and two dingey yellow displays. The color filter in display accommodations is not a replacement for letting us set the white point.

Hoping the 11 Pro Max will be better.

Edit 9/23: Here are my two iPhone 11 Max Pros. Left one I picked up today is way more saturated in color/less color shift than the one I got last week. Way more noticeable in real life.

Turn off True Tone. Bada Bing Bada Boom. Perfect screen.

Andrew Ladd

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020

I am thinking to buy a i11 and stop trying with the pro, I had the same problem till I sold it. How is the battery life?

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
don't want to get "acclimated" to anything for 1250$ :) It could have been easier, if not my pure white MBP 2015.

All adjustable in screen settings, learn how to do that for next time. Just like you can adjust white point on your MBP.

Dogman12

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2017
All adjustable in screen settings, learn how to do that for next time. Just like you can adjust white point on your MBP.
can't name "color filters" something, which is adjustable :)
[automerge]1581937306[/automerge]
I am thinking to buy a i11 and stop trying with the pro, I had the same problem till I sold it. How is the battery life?
it's hard to compare battery life with Pro's. However, the difference is dramatic with iphone 7.

iamjimmy

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2020
Today I went to an Apple Store for an appointment at the Genius Bar for this #yellowgate problem that I experienced on my brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max 256gb Spacegrey. Before the appointment, I looked at 6 other iPhone 11 Pro Max's by turning TT and everything like that off. I saw that all the display models had perfect screens in terms of brightness and color (so not yellow). During my appointment I pointed out this phenomena and the technician told me that they ran on a different OS compared to the ones normal consumers use. The technician then proceeded to look at my iPhone by comparing it to 3 other iPhone 11 Pro Max's (with everything turned off) of his fellow colleagues. My iPhone was the most yellow one but had a maximum brightness that was significantly(!) higher. The 3 other iPhones were clearly less yellow but we saw that the less yellow the screen was, the less bright the screen was. Even they were very surprised about all of this and questioned the quality of their own screens. So, I don't really think it is worth playing the lottery. I would only do it if you have a very dull looking screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.