Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
The app is called "screen test" in the App Store. The Android app I use is called "Display Tester" and is far superior and more robust.
I don’t see the grey colour
[automerge]1576267250[/automerge]
The app is called "screen test" in the App Store. The Android app I use is called "Display Tester" and is far superior and more robust.
I don’t see the colour grey in this app
[automerge]1576267274[/automerge]

Last edited:

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010

On the black screen you swipe up to get lighter gray and down to go dark. I'm guessing one swipe up from black is about 5 percent gray.

Reactions: Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

Go to a black screen and then raise the brightness a couple of ticks until it is very dark gray / barely visible.

socceryo3

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
It can't be a true black screen if you're using it on an OLED panel, screen brightness shouldn't affect a true black screen image on OLED panels.
He misspoke. He meant the brightness of the color, not the screen. You swipe up to make it lighter and down to make it darker in that app.

oledisshit

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2019
So has anyone got one that is the typical white? I don’t want to keep returning if it turns out they’re all like this

King_SC

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Cedar Rapids, IA
So has anyone got one that is the typical white? I don’t want to keep returning if it turns out they’re all like this

I feel like the general consensus is that the display is warmer than the regular 11. You might get lucky and get one that is pure white, but I haven't seen one like that in the stores I've been to.

Reactions: valinda

oledisshit

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2019
I feel like the general consensus is that the display is warmer than the regular 11. You might get lucky and get one that is pure white, but I haven't seen one like that in the stores I've been to.
Dang that’s disappointing. Might just return it and stick to what I have now. Appreciate the info

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
How much does everybody want to bet we’ll see a thread called “iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max yellow tint??” next October?

IF the NITS goes up on the 12 Pro display it will be even warmer. Otherwise it’ll be exactly the same warmth as the 11 Pro. ;)

Reactions: Ron21

King_SC

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Cedar Rapids, IA
Next time you go to an Apple store/ Best Buy/ WalMart stop by the phone section and look at the LCD iPhones compared to the OLED. Best example would be to turn off auto brightness and True Tone then open up messages or settings.
I guess “pure white” is probably subjective

EnricoBrun

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2019
the only difference I find between an iPhone Lcd and my oled Pro Max is the greater brightness, no yellowish hue known (trueT disabled)

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I went to a mobile operator store here in Brazil and compared my screen to the 11 Pro Max showcase. I turned off True Tone and auto brightness and set brightness to maximum. I noticed that the store device had a bluish screen. Because Apple has developed a warmer color display, I don't see the defect in our devices but in bluish-screen devices.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
If I disable Auto Brightness, my display is a lot more vibrant and brighter at the same brightness level. Easier to notice against a white background like Google.com. It’s a big difference.

With auto brightness on, the screen is a lot duller and dimmer than my iPhone X or iPad Pro. With it off, it is a lot brighter. Turning auto brightness on/off makes zero difference in brightness to my iPhone X/7/SE/8 or any of my iPads (or Pros).

Can you please check if your iPhone 11 Pro (or Max) behaves the same way?

Thanks so much. God Bless!

Aakshey

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I went to a mobile operator store here in Brazil and compared my screen to the 11 Pro Max showcase. I turned off True Tone and auto brightness and set brightness to maximum. I noticed that the store device had a bluish screen. Because Apple has developed a warmer color display, I don't see the defect in our devices but in bluish-screen devices.

My device: iOS 13.3 Store device: iOS 13.0 On iOS 13.1.2 they corrected the display calibration. Is it for this reason the color difference?
[automerge]1577645291[/automerge]
If I disable Auto Brightness, my display is a lot more vibrant and brighter at the same brightness level. Easier to notice against a white background like Google.com. It’s a big difference.

With auto brightness on, the screen is a lot duller and dimmer than my iPhone X or iPad Pro. With it off, it is a lot brighter. Turning auto brightness on/off makes zero difference in brightness to my iPhone X/7/SE/8 or any of my iPads (or Pros).

Aakshey

I will test and post the result.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Turn True Tone OFF and watch the color temperature go cool/blue instantly.
This!!
I noticed the warmer yellow on my pro Max and wife’s pro. Compared to my 6s plus and dad’s xr.
The yellow tint helps a lot in darker settings and at night.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil

Aakshey

I did what you asked and in my Pro Max did not change anything. Exactly the same image in multiple tested apps. No brighter / vibrant, no less.

EDIT:

I went to try one more time and more calmly. Really if we turn off automatic brightness, both brightness and colors get stronger and more vibrant. But for this to happen, we must turn off the automatic brightness, wait for a while on the screen and you will easily notice the brightness slowly increasing. That's why they say to turn off auto brightness when we watch HDR content!

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Just got mine and it's yellow. Like really yellow. I hate it. I've played with calibration. I've made sure night mode and true tone are off. I'm really going to hate this Apple visit.

Reactions: Nightrhyme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.