Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
For those complaining about uniformity no screen is perfectly uniform.

If you don’t believe me google “dirty screen effect”

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I brought mine into the Apple store and it failed diagnostics. Got a new one. It's definitely better. I am glad I wasn't losing my mind. The Genius at the counter even said mine looked messed up. This replacement has been a massive improvement.

Reactions: helloapple1

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I did what you asked and in my Pro Max did not change anything. Exactly the same image in multiple tested apps. No brighter / vibrant, no less.

EDIT:

I went to try one more time and more calmly. Really if we turn off automatic brightness, both brightness and colors get stronger and more vibrant. But for this to happen, we must turn off the automatic brightness, wait for a while on the screen and you will easily notice the brightness slowly increasing. That's why they say to turn off auto brightness when we watch HDR content!

What was the brightness level when you tried this? You’re supposed to try at a brightness level greater than 0% but less than 100%.
[automerge]1579700474[/automerge]
Just got mine and it's yellow. Like really yellow. I hate it. I've played with calibration. I've made sure night mode and true tone are off. I'm really going to hate this Apple visit.

If I disable Auto Brightness, my display is a lot more vibrant and brighter at the same brightness level. Easier to notice against a white background like Google.com. It’s a big difference.

With auto brightness on, the screen is a lot duller and dimmer than my iPhone X or iPad Pro. With it off, it is a lot brighter. Turning auto brightness on/off makes zero difference in brightness to my iPhone X/7/SE/8 or any of my iPads (or Pros).

Can you please check if your iPhone 11 Pro (or Max) behaves the same way?

Thanks so much. God Bless!

Aakshey

Can you try this?

You will need to wait for 30 seconds after turning it off for the effect to be visible.
[automerge]1579700645[/automerge]
Horrible display! Anyone fixed that problem????

If I disable Auto Brightness, my display is a lot more vibrant and brighter at the same brightness level. Easier to notice against a white background like Google.com. It’s a big difference.

With auto brightness on, the screen is a lot duller and dimmer than my iPhone X or iPad Pro. With it off, it is a lot brighter. Turning auto brightness on/off makes zero difference in brightness to my iPhone X/7/SE/8 or any of my iPads (or Pros).

Aakshey

Can you try this?

You will need to wait for 30 seconds after turning it off for the effect to be visible.

Last edited:

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah I'd recommend submitting this to Apple, I'm on 13.2 B1 and this has been an issue for a long time now. I have no idea why they haven't fixed this bug yet, what is the point of making the preview that saturated and vibrant only to tone it down once the wallpaper is set?

As I've said, the more people submit the issue the quicker it'll get fixed, hopefully.

Aakshey

Can you try this?

Your brightness level should be less than 100% but more than 0% for this test.

Andrew Ladd

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020

Aakshey

Can you try this?

Your brightness level should be less than 100% but more than 0% for this test.
Just vibrant and brighter but still yellowish! and I wont be setting off all the time cause batterys life.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Just vibrant and brighter but still yellowish! and I wont be setting off all the time cause batterys life.

Battery life isn’t affected.Battery life depends on your real brightness level. Not what it shows on the slider. Only thing is you’ll need to keep adjusting it manually.

Try both AB and TT off.

Andrew Ladd

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020
Battery life isn’t affected.Battery life depends on your real brightness level. Not what it shows on the slider. Only thing is you’ll need to keep adjusting it manually.

Try both AB and TT off.
It still bothering me , I can't edit my photos not apreciating real colors .. Thinking sell it now .

Andrew Ladd

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020
I’m also getting this issue on the iPhone 11. Here’s a pic of my iPhone 8 vs 11:
Anyone also experiencing it on the base iPhone 11?
Idk about LCD screens maybe that is just true tone or night shift
[automerge]1581114705[/automerge]
I’m also getting this issue on the iPhone 11. Here’s a pic of my iPhone 8 vs 11:
Anyone also experiencing it on the base iPhone 11?
All i11 Ive seem are so white and not yellowish , that's odd

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
Idk about LCD screens maybe that is just true tone or night shift
[automerge]1581114705[/automerge]

All i11 Ive seem are so white and not yellowish , that's odd
At the Apple store we turned True Tone and night shift off on my 11 and also had it off on the demo models, but there’s was still a yellow tint to mine compared to the floor models. I’m on my replacement iPhone 11 they gave me and it still has the yellow tint.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
I unpacked 3 IP11 and all had a nice white screen unlike the OLEDs. But take into account that over all the new iPhones are calibrated a bit warmer.

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
I unpacked 3 IP11 and all had a nice white screen unlike the OLEDs. But take into account that over all the new iPhones are calibrated a bit warmer.
Thanks for sharing. I was going to sell my 11 because of the warmth issue and go for a Pro model, but I guess all models are having the issue.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Thanks for sharing. I was going to sell my 11 because of the warmth issue and go for a Pro model, but I guess all models are having the issue.

My first Pro Max was so bad they swapped it. The second slightly better but the floor models were perfect. I just decided to play with color filters under accessibility rather than keep playing screen lotto.

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
My first Pro Max was so bad they swapped it. The second slightly better but the floor models were perfect. I just decided to play with color filters under accessibility rather than keep playing screen lotto.
It’s tiring playing screen lotto. I noticed the floor models are perfect too. What do your color filter settings look like?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
It’s tiring playing screen lotto. I noticed the floor models are perfect too. What do your color filter settings look like?

Play around a bit with this. It took me a few hours to get it just the way I wanted. It looks a bit blue if I record it from another device but my eyes view it as a proper white.
59b930013dff8d4d6fc0264f6459a821.png

Andrew Ladd

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020
Play around a bit with this. It took me a few hours to get it just the way I wanted. It looks a bit blue if I record it from another device but my eyes view it as a proper white.
Is not the best option , the brightness decrease alot. And when I transfer my pics to my mac is totally different.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

Aren’t you on your 3rd MAX?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I still find it absurd you have to use an accessibility buried feature to “live with” your $1000+ dollar phone

It also throws off the entire contrast of the device, even if white balance becomes to your preference

I would return something all day every day that I can’t bear to look at

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
I still find it absurd you have to use an accessibility buried feature to “live with” your $1000+ dollar phone

It also throws off the entire contrast of the device, even if white balance becomes to your preference

I would return something all day every day that I can’t bear to look at

My phone is still under warranty but past the return window. Going through the Apple care dance is so frustrating. Last time I was at the Apple store for 3 hours to get a new model (which still came with the yellow tint).

Thank you. It definitely helped. It made it more white to my eye as well making it much easier to read text. The yellow tint is still there a bit, but this made it way better.

That yellow tint makes reading text hard for me, I don’t know if this is just me. It’s really sad Apple shipped these expensive phones with screens like this.

Reactions: Septembersrain

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
My phone is still under warranty but past the return window. Going through the Apple care dance is so frustrating. Last time I was at the Apple store for 3 hours to get a new model (which still came with the yellow tint).

Thank you. It definitely helped. It made it more white to my eye as well making it much easier to read text. The yellow tint is still there a bit, but this made it way better.

That yellow tint makes reading text hard for me, I don’t know if this is just me. It’s really sad Apple shipped these expensive phones with screens like this.

I can understand the AppleCare dance, not a fun situation to be in and definitely a risk vs reward assessing one ie could be way worse off in the end and stuck with it n

And sometimes beautiful display units crop up with other issues and I end up in that hell

But I try as best as possible to get things sorted when in a retail exchange situation , return and re buy, and explain as little as possible. Sometimes sales people are cool sometimes they are defensive as can be beyond belief ie “Apple would never let a unit leave the factory that isn’t to their highest standards” like it isn’t a Foxconn by the numbers assembly line we’re all we’ll aware of. There’s not some magical pixie dust that transcends that basic fact and that moving units prevails over everything else

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
I can understand the AppleCare dance, not a fun situation to be in and definitely a risk vs reward assessing one ie could be way worse off in the end and stuck with it n

And sometimes beautiful display units crop up with other issues and I end up in that hell

But I try as best as possible to get things sorted when in a retail exchange situation , return and re buy, and explain as little as possible. Sometimes sales people are cool sometimes they are defensive as can be beyond belief ie “Apple would never let a unit leave the factory that isn’t to their highest standards” like it isn’t a Foxconn by the numbers assembly line we’re all we’ll aware of. There’s not some magical pixie dust that transcends that basic fact and that moving units prevails over everything else

Agreed, always return then rebuy at a different store and make up some lame excuse when they inevitably ask so they don't look at you like you have three heads.

Exhausting no doubt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.