Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I wish this trend with oled would just hurry up and end. Stronger/deeper blacks isn’t worth all the negating uniformity anomalies we’re to expect, also the huge margin of cost increase is ridiculous when the end result is simply better blacks. The pricing makes no sense. Apple tend to assume it a luxury on their high end devices yet amoled displays are rife within the cheap, budget android market. I’m so over apple’s pimping of oled.

Nightrhyme

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019
So I went to my genius bar appointment yesterday, and showed them the color shift on my 2 day old iphone 11 pro. It's goes from warm/yellowish looking dead on to a blue hue when looked at any angle. They said that is normal. I looked at her phone with identical settings and yes it has the same color shift as mine. I even looked at all the iphone 11 pro floor models with the same settings and it's all the same. I told her that looks bad IMO, but she said that's just the way they are designed. OLED tvs and monitors don't do that. I looked at all the regular iphone 11 floor models and none of them have the off angle viewing color change. Also, the iphone 11 has a more blue tone, and that blue tone stays consistent at ANY angle.

So I'm keeping this phone. It's actually for my wife, and it doesn't bother her, but at least I know that it's not a defect. IMO if I was getting one of the new iphones for myself, I'd get the iphone 11. Sure, it's not as sharp but that color shift on the Pro models is very annoying.

yeah that is my impression with all the 11pros I have seen too. And I have seen quite a lot going from store to store.
Yesterday I also found an xs on display which looked identical to mine. But I did previously see a couple of xs’s with blue tone displays. Never seen a pro though. And yes all the 11 lcd’s has a very blue tone.

Reactions: Ron21

narjisse

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
I did a 5% gray scale test on 3 of iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Screen brightness setting was at 20%, same for all 3.

In terms of uniformity out of the three, the one on the right looks more even than the other two, but I am not sure if it is a good enough screen to keep that phone. What do you guys think?

I want to know why I see red colored grainish areas on all 3 when I am testing gray scale?

iPhone 11 PM on the left looks too reddish around the top area, so I will return this one. The one in the middle has very bright top area but gets darker(red-er) towards the bottom.

I think Right > Middle > Left, from the best screen to worst.

Let me know your opnions on these. Thanks.

IMG_2401.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018

In terms of uniformity out of the three, the one on the right looks more even than the other two, but I am not sure if it is a good enough screen to keep that phone. What do you guys think?

I want to know why I see red colored grainish areas on all 3 when I am testing gray scale?

iPhone 11 PM on the left looks too reddish around the top area, so I will return this one. The one in the middle has very bright top area but gets darker(red-er) towards the bottom.

View attachment 881756
I woud like if you can write first five digits of s/n from each of this phone, so we can see is there any diference from factory to factory, or production date.
btw. this on the rigt side looks fine.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil

View attachment 881756

Does this kind of uniformity not improve over time? I say this because some OLED TVs end up improving uniformity as it is used.

Reactions: Tibits

Nightrhyme

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019
Went to a new store today. Let’s play guess which one is the xs and which is the pro

Attachments

• 1EE521F5-A981-4621-94E9-C73E88AEB2BA.jpeg
    1EE521F5-A981-4621-94E9-C73E88AEB2BA.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 314
  • EE11CF4A-D37F-4231-8510-8DBFDF58E0D6.jpeg
    EE11CF4A-D37F-4231-8510-8DBFDF58E0D6.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 293

narjisse

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
I woud like if you can write first five digits of s/n from each of this phone, so we can see is there any diference from factory to factory, or production date.
SN from the middle one, FK1ZJ.......
I'll get SN from the other two when I get home.

Does anyone know what the grainy red areas on the screen are, in my 5% gray uniformity test?

narjisse

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
Left: FCHZP........
Middle: FK1ZJ.......
Right: FCHZP........
I hope this helps.

Nightrhyme

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019
I will contribute with my serial as well: F17ZL....
Mine is perfectly uniform but still yellow tint

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Factory doesn't matter, it's a complete lottery. My original Pro Max was F2 and was uneven on gray backgrounds and slightly non-uniform otherwise. 2nd one was FK1 and it had a dead pixel in the screen. Current Pro Max is FK1ZG and is uniform, not uneven on dark gray backgrounds, and not yellow.

My partner's Pro Max is G9 or G6 or something similar (it is definitely G) and has bad uniformity just looking at a white screen, with TT on it is very noticeable. I haven't looked at hers in a dark room to look at gray uniformity, but I expect it to be awful.

I've bought 5 Android phones aside from my iPhone this year and aside from an S10+ that shifted pink (it was otherwise perfect, I just hate pink shift), the other 4 were / are flawless on the 1st attempt. S10e, OnePlus 7 Pro, Pixel 3a, and currently using Pixel 4 XL. I was particularly bothered by the $399 Pixel 3a having better uniformity and less color shift than most OLED iPhones I've seen. Apple's QC is crap when it comes to screen variance and tolerances.

Reactions: guesswho183

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Factory doesn't matter, it's a complete lottery. My original Pro Max was F2 and was uneven on gray backgrounds and slightly non-uniform otherwise. 2nd one was FK1 and it had a dead pixel in the screen. Current Pro Max is FK1ZG and is uniform, not uneven on dark gray backgrounds, and not yellow.

My partner's Pro Max is G9 or G6 or something similar (it is definitely G) and has bad uniformity just looking at a white screen, with TT on it is very noticeable. I haven't looked at hers in a dark room to look at gray uniformity, but I expect it to be awful.

I've bought 5 Android phones aside from my iPhone this year and aside from an S10+ that shifted pink (it was otherwise perfect, I just hate pink shift), the other 4 were / are flawless on the 1st attempt. S10e, OnePlus 7 Pro, Pixel 3a, and currently using Pixel 4 XL. I was particularly bothered by the $399 Pixel 3a having better uniformity and less color shift than most OLED iPhones I've seen. Apple's QC is crap when it comes to screen variance and tolerances.
That's one thing I don't like about current Samsung panels ( since note 9 onwards ), their definition of cool is no longer blue hue , but rather a pink hue. I'd prefer yellow actually to pink.

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
My first pro max was lighter on the top 4th of the screen with the %5 grey test and I'm now on my second one which is lighter on the bottom right corner. I have another one on the way. Whats irritating is my wife got her’s swapped for not charging wirelessly and her screen has no yellow tint and is very uniform with the %5 grey test. Her original phone had a lighter patch on the right side which I would be fine with. She doesn’t even use dark mode ? but I’m glad she got lucky. So out of 4 phones 2 are acceptable to me so I figure I got a 50/50 shot.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
My first pro max was lighter on the top 4th of the screen with the %5 grey test and I'm now on my second one which is lighter on the bottom right corner. I have another one on the way. Whats irritating is my wife got her’s swapped for not charging wirelessly and her screen has no yellow tint and is very uniform with the %5 grey test. Her original phone had a lighter patch on the right side which I would be fine with. She doesn’t even use dark mode ? but I’m glad she got lucky. So out of 4 phones 2 are acceptable to me so I figure I got a 50/50 shot.
Can you see the issue during normal use such as lying in bed / dark environments? If not, just keep the phone.

What app is everyone using to check 5% gray, I've just used solid gray backgrounds or YouTube videos.

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Can you see the issue during normal use such as lying in bed / dark environments? If not, just keep the phone.

What app is everyone using to check 5% gray, I've just used solid gray backgrounds or YouTube videos.

Yeah I can see it easily in the dark with night mode on with the brightness at minimum which is how I use it when in bed at night. I use the screentest app.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Here is a photo I took of mine using my Pixel 4 XL camera. This is not using night sight, just regular camera. I'm using the screen test app, I had to increase the minimum brightness on the black screen by 3 ticks otherwise it did not show up properly without using night sight.

Also took a photo of my Pixel 4 XL in the same pitch dark room at min brightness in phone settings, 1% brightness using solid dark gray background within the display tester app.

I don't notice any uniformity issues when using either phone at night in pitch dark rooms. And I'm very nitpicky.

SMH...I'm using my Pixel and Pro Max cameras to shoot screen uniformity shots of my phones in pitch dark rooms. What am I doing with my life...

IMG_20191213_111822_MP.jpg

IMG-0150.jpg

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Here is a photo I took of mine using my Pixel 4 XL camera. This is not using night sight, just regular camera. I'm using the screen test app, I had to increase the minimum brightness on the black screen by 3 ticks otherwise it did not show up properly without using night sight.

Also took a photo of my Pixel 4 XL in the same pitch dark room at min brightness in phone settings, 1% brightness using solid dark gray background within the display tester app.

I don't notice any uniformity issues when using either phone at night in pitch dark rooms. And I'm very nitpicky.

SMH...I'm using my Pixel and Pro Max cameras to shoot screen uniformity shots of my phones in pitch dark rooms. What am I doing with my life...

View attachment 882553

View attachment 882556

Apparently an iPhone with a uniform screen is extremely rare. My old iPhone X and iPhone Xs had the same purple spot, but in different places. My current iPhone 11 Pro Max has this same purple spot on both sides of the notch. But it doesn't even cross my mind to replace it, as I see a lot of people picking up the device with the yellow screen and dirt inside the camera lens. This purple spot I only notice with the brightness below 15% and in dark mode, otherwise I don't even remember that it exists.

Reactions: Harthag

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
ex

View attachment 882553

View attachment 882556
where do you get the screen text app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.