Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Sure I think the keyboard would be a touch cramped but it would be serviceable. I think it would be the perfect little "computer" to go with a iPad Mini keyboard folio case.

Just carrying a separate keyboard isn't the same.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Maybe they will.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S7/S6 is small, and it has the touchpad keyboard folio. The design is different. but it works fine. But I don't think anyone expected it. The Mini doesn't have that Pro moniker, btw.

Last edited:

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Maybe they will.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S7/S6 is small, and it has the touchpad keyboard folio. The design is different. but it works fine. But I don't think anyone expected it. The Mini doesn't have that Pro moniker, btw.
They can't, the new one lack the 3 metal dots on the back that is an Apple invented connector both the iPad Folio keyboard and Magic Keyboard uses. This provides power and has no connectivity issues that Bluetooth has

Reactions: sracer

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
I am. If I had a Magic Keyboard for the new mini I could give up my 2018 11” Pro. That and more storage (at least 512 but I’d prefer 1TB) would have made this my main device.
I am in the exact same boat. Much as I love the iPad Pro 11" it simply never fulfilled its promise, and who knows when the one potential saving grace, the new Swift Playgrounds, will actually come out . I do absolutely love the iPad for notes and reading, and the iPad mini would likely be better at that task.

Reactions: caoimhe

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
They can't, the new one lack the 3 metal dots on the back that is an Apple invented connector both the iPad Folio keyboard and Magic Keyboard uses. This provides power and has no connectivity issues that Bluetooth has

Right thanks!, forgot about that. No Smart connector.

Reactions: jozero

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Sure I think the keyboard would be a touch cramped but it would be serviceable. I think it would be the perfect little "computer" to go with a iPad Mini keyboard folio case.

The iPad Mini 6 is larger than the first netbooks that had a keyboard and trackpad. A keyboard folio would easily be doable. I have a Zagg keyboard case for my iPad Mini 5 (which has a narrower width than the Mini 6 when in landscape mode)

The Mini 5 + keyboard case makes a nifty little netbook-like device. I loaded up the iOS-versions of the Google apps and it makes a better chromebook than an actual chromebook.

Sadly, we'll have to wait for the Mini 7 (or 8) for a model with the pin connectors to make it (Apple Smart Keyboard) possible. But I have no doubt that Zagg and/or Logitech will be making a keyboard case for it.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I wonder if there are any technical reasons for not including it. Seems like a really add omission especially since they increased the starting price by $100.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Wasn't expecting it especially after Apple made such a big deal about the size of the Smart Keyboard for the 10.5".

Mind, I've used 9" netbooks and I find the keyboards on those way too cramped for comfort.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Ya I mean no one can do it right due to size but Logitech (or some 3rd party Amazon seller) will still make one. It’ll just be cramped.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I wonder if there are any technical reasons for not including it. Seems like a really add omission especially since they increased the starting price by $100.
It’s probably that they didn’t see much demand for one. To be comfortable to type with it would likely need to fold out horizontally, which would add thickness.

Reactions: rui no onna

lsara

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
As someone who used to use an iPad Mini all day at work I preferred typing on the iPad itself versus using a keyboard. With the width and the size it's very easy to type on. However, this may depend on hand size.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
As someone who used to use an iPad Mini all day at work I preferred typing on the iPad itself versus using a keyboard. With the width and the size it's very easy to type on. However, this may depend on hand size.

Fair, but this wipes out half the screen

Reactions: pdaholic

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009

Yes massive increase in cost porportionally and what changed was the hoped for rounded screen, the charger tech and magnet for the Pencil 2, and touchID moved.

Seems like an arbitrary limitation, basically a dividing line for functionality (but not speed and power) because the screen is 1.9" smaller (8.3 vs 10.2)

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
I’m a bit bummed out myself. While I didn’t expect them to release a $200 mini magic keyboard, a smart connector for third party keyboards would’ve been really cool.

Reactions: Coco Donelap

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's not the crampness that is the problem, it's that the keyboard layout itself has to change to also fit the form factor for the best results. After that, you don't actually have the room for a usable multi-gesture trackpad either.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
We might get a good third party option. It’s still a possibility.

I’m in two minds about using the mini with a keyboard. I recently picked up a third party keyboard on Amazon. It wasn’t very expensive, about £30. I haven’t been using it because it’s not a good experience. The keys are too small and mushy and it adds too much bulk to my mini. However I’m conflicted here. I’m wondering if I try a more expensive keyboard option like the Brydge keyboard if I’d get a better experience. Or it might be that the mini just isn’t a device I want to use a keyboard with after all. Also I’ve been spoiled by the trackpad on the magic keyboard of my 11 inch pro. I don’t think any third party keyboard will have a decent trackpad. I’ll wait until the mini 6 comes out. Then I will know for sure if I’m sticking with my 5 or not. If I decided to stick with my 5 I will go ahead and pick up the brydge keyboard and try that out.

Reactions: JavaJones

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
We might get a good third party option. It’s still a possibility.

I’m in two minds about using the mini with a keyboard. I recently picked up a third party keyboard on Amazon. It wasn’t very expensive, about £30. I haven’t been using it because it’s not a good experience. The keys are too small and mushy and it adds too much bulk to my mini. However I’m conflicted here. I’m wondering if I try a more expensive keyboard option like the Brydge keyboard if I’d get a better experience. Or it might be that the mini just isn’t a device I want to use a keyboard with after all. Also I’ve been spoiled by the trackpad on the magic keyboard of my 11 inch pro. I don’t think any third party keyboard will have a decent trackpad. I’ll wait until the mini 6 comes out. Then I will know for sure if I’m sticking with my 5 or not. If I decided to stick with my 5 I will go ahead and pick up the brydge keyboard and try that out.

what about a keyboard that isn’t attached to your mini? Plenty of really good ones around.

Reactions: Rastapopoulos

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
what about a keyboard that isn’t attached to your mini? Plenty of really good ones around.
The one Igot isn’t attached to the mini. It magnetically attaches to the case.

It’s this one

Keyboard Case for iPad Mini 5/4/3/2/1, Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Case Compatible with iPad Mini 7.9" Ultra Slim Magnetically Detachable PU Leather Cover and Multi-Angle Stand
by CHEERS
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086JRJ56X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_V4J9V2DGY5G6RACAZVFB
If I don’t decide to get the mini 6 then I will try this one

Brydge 7.9 Keyboard compatible with iPad Mini (2019) and iPad Mini 4. Backlit, Aluminum, Wireless, Rotating Hinges, 180 Degree Viewing. (Space Gray)
More information: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C42Z..._dp_FRNT0JFH5MY4PKS5PQTH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: ElectronGuru
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.