Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aa27154

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2021
TBH I was initially thrown off a little when I understood that the iPad mini didn't have the option to attach a folio keyboard but the more I thought I about it I realised that this iPad is not a laptop replacement (for me at least) and I do not intend to use it as such. I think it is great with the Apple Pencil (2nd Gen)

However to each their own, everyone has their own unique experience with a certain product.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
I am. A Magic Keyboard would be a dream, but at least they could have given us a Smart Keyboard. But I am not sure, doesn't the Smart Keyboard also need Smart Connector? This would mean no Apple Keyboard ever for the Mini 6.

Maybe they just couldn't figure things out because the Mini is way smaller than the Pro line. Apple wants to make money with everything. If they don't release a keyboard for it maybe they couldn't figure out how to built one "Apple style". Logitech etc. have great ones I heard but they are definitely not "Apple style".

I rarely need a keyboard for the Mini but when I do it takes up the half the display and this annoying and reason enough to buy a mechanical one. I bought a very cheap BT keyboard, totally flat and small like a paper almost just to type without needing the display. I never used it. It must be convenient enough for me which Apple Keyboard with Smart connector are. Just put it on and type. No turning on BT and nothing, right? Never used one. If that is how it works I hope for a Smart Connector on the Mini 7.

Reactions: tpfang56

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I don't use the Mini in ways where any kind of attached keyboard would be useful to me. The device is too small for that purpose. For the rare times when I want to type out longer emails for where larger amounts of text are needed, I have a flat membrane Logitech detached keyboard that connects via bluetooth. I have used the same keyboard since I bought it in early 2015 after I had purchased a Mini 2. I have kept it through a Mini 4 and use it with a Mini 5, and plan to keep it for the Mini 6. I don't use the Mini as a laptop replacement, I primarily use it as a note pad with Logitech Crayon, for media consumption, reading email, reading kindle books and for web surfing. I have a 13 inch HP Windows laptop with a solid state drive that I use as a laptop.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've been thinking about getting a Logitech KEYS-TO-GO for my iPad Pro (after the smart keyboard died on my 10.5" Pro). It would probably be a good option to go with a mini.
It is a great option, IMO. I only wish that it could support 3 devices like their K380 keyboard. The combination of a KeysToGo keyboard and Apple smartcover (for my iPad Mini 5) is the closest thing to an Apple Smart Keyboard cover.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It is a great option, IMO. I only wish that it could support 3 devices like their K380 keyboard. The combination of a KeysToGo keyboard and Apple smartcover (for my iPad Mini 5) is the closest thing to an Apple Smart Keyboard cover.

Would love a KeysToGo version with multi-device support and built-in trackpad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Would love a KeysToGo version with multi-device support and built-in trackpad.
Right?! I'm a fan of Logitech's bluetooth keyboards... I've got the K380 and K480 (in addition to the KeysToGo) and ease of switching between devices on a single keyboard is more useful that I initially thought it would be.

Reactions: sparksd

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Right?! I'm a fan of Logitech's bluetooth keyboards... I've got the K380 and K480 (in addition to the KeysToGo) and ease of switching between devices on a single keyboard is more useful that I initially thought it would be.

Yep. I use the K780+MX Ergo trackball at the office. Easily swaps between my work desktop and iPP 12.9.

I also have the Logitech Combo Touch but that one only works on iPads with the old style SmartConnector (iPP 9.7, 10.5, 2017 12.9, Air 3 and 7th gen). I don't use the heavy kickstand case, just the keyboard+trackpad itself. I'd love to have something similar that's multi-device and bluetooth-based.

Ukagr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
I was excited hearing rumors that the mini might be a mini pro. Which would lead to a keyboard case of some assortment from apple. The mini would finally get a proper apple keyboard case. But not this time. I was bummed.

I assume there will now be a some third party cases to fill in the need. I hope they are good!

If it had gone the "pro" route then it would have had the keyboard connector, 120hz screen and multiple speakers. Then I wouldn't feel so bad with the price bump or hesitant to buy.

Aka757

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
I wasn't expecting a keyboard case for the redesigned mini, but considering it now since it'll replace my 11" iPad Pro. Smart folio + Logitech Keys-to-Go seems like a real winner to me, since I'll want to use the keyboard only in certain situations. Best of both worlds: have a keyboard that isn't restricted by the size of the the iPad mini itself, while also being able to set it aside when I don't want to use it!

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I wouldn't count on Logitech to make a keyboard for the mini 6. They had made one for the mini 4 (I have it) and it was terrible...wasted money... and they didn't make any for the mini 5.
Instead the Brydge keyboard for the mini 4 and 5 is pretty good, better than the larger keys-to-go (which I have too) and than, for instance, the Apple smart keyboard for the iPad 9.7.
So it's pretty usable, although not as good at the 11in magic keyboard, let alone the 12.9 (I have both).
Hopefully they will make a magnetic one, like they have done for the pro.
I was never expecting a Magic Keyboard from Apple, it wouldn't work. When the keyboard is that cramped you need to increase travel quite a bit, like Brydge does, to make up for it and make it usable, and make the touch feel as good as it gets. And Apple isn't going to increase travel any further....
Before someone comes and say Brydge keyboard are not great, you should know that they vary a lot, from pretty crappy to the very best, thinkpad feel, keyboards, based on the model and sometimes even the same model has different variants/versions. I have 2 Brydge Surface pro keyboards, for instance, and while both are better than the Microsoft surface keyboard, one is quite a bit better than the other and is actually the very best keyboard I have (and I have dozens...), competitive with the best thinkpad keyboards.
The brydge 7.9 is a very cramped version of that (but still usable).

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I bought this one on Amazon. I think I'm going to like it. The only negative is it makes the thin iPad mini a little thick. What I do really like is the edges of the case that the iPad fits into rests on the keyboard border when closed so it appears that the iPad screen will not touch the keyboard. I'm slightly OCD (ok more than slightly) and I don't like the keyboard touching my screen. I had an older iPad Pro with the Apple keyboard and when opening the cover I could see the imprint from the keys on the glass. I now have a newer iPad Pro with the floating Apple keyboard and while i don’t see the keys, there is always marks on the upper glass from the keyboard when I open it.

The Pro Case for the iPad mini seems perfect. When you open the case you move the keyboard down so you can stand up the mini. The keyboard is magnetic so you can place it anywhere on the flap. Or remove it entirely. Just need my mini to test it out.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
It's too small for a keyboard, I think.
If it's not too small for the on screen keyboard why would it be for a physical keyboard? It's going to be a little crammed either way but with the benefit of being tactile then. I've always had an infatuation with miniature things so I loved those mini netbooks from the old days, would be nice for this iPad to be like a modern day netbook.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
Good argument. You're right … though they excluded the accessory connection.
Yea it was an unfortunate omission but Bluetooth still works pretty well and a third party could make a nice one regardless. Just wish Apple would've made one, I'm very doubtful they will given the omission of the smart connector

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Yea it was an unfortunate omission but Bluetooth still works pretty well and a third party could make a nice one regardless. Just wish Apple would've made one, I'm very doubtful they will given the omission of the smart connector
In all fairness, I never needed a keyboard for my mini 2 or my original large iPad … since I do work related stuff on my MacBook.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
In all fairness, I never needed a keyboard for my mini 2 or my original large iPad … since I do work related stuff on my MacBook.
Yea I do nearly all my productivity work on my iMac, I just use my iPad for media consumption. I have the 11" with the Magic Keyboard but I don't like how you can't fold it over to use it flat or hold it like a tablet. I'm basically using it like a laptop rather than an iPad and it's quite heavy with that keyboard, so I'm downsizing to the Mini

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
I was hopeful for an Apple solution because, well after crying a bit over the price, the quality is insane. The Smart Keyboard folio is remarkable in how little weight it adds, still feels like a simple case, yet has a satisfying THONK when typed on. The Magic Keyboard case is true next level, the way the iPad floats on it, the quality of the keys and trackpad and cover make it feel like a real next step in having a tablet

No third party feels like the Smart Keyboard folio or the Magic Keyboard.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Maybe they will.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S7/S6 is small, and it has the touchpad keyboard folio. The design is different. but it works fine. But I don't think anyone expected it. The Mini doesn't have that Pro moniker, btw.
Those are 10+ in devices.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
If I had a KB for my Mini I wouldn't have to carry 2 devices. This situation is exactly why I love my Surface Pro so much, I don't need 2 devices. Battery life on the Surface Pro is the only reason I haven't had it fully replace my laptop/iPad setup. I'm hoping once ARM CPUs for PC's get better or if Intel can find a way to cut down on power draw, then I'll just jump ship to it completely.

Apples reluctance to make proper 2-in-1 is KILLING me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.