Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
If I had a KB for my Mini I wouldn't have to carry 2 devices. This situation is exactly why I love my Surface Pro so much, I don't need 2 devices. Battery life on the Surface Pro is the only reason I haven't had it fully replace my laptop/iPad setup. I'm hoping once ARM CPUs for PC's get better or if Intel can find a way to cut down on power draw, then I'll just jump ship to it completely.

Apples reluctance to make proper 2-in-1 is KILLING me.
Still waiting for touch screen MacBooks and Macs. I catch myself touching my MacBook screen a bunch of times.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
I hope Brydge makes on. They're as close as it gets to the Apple Keyboard folios. They had one for the last mini that looks great.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Yes disappointed. Hoping for third party options if they can bring a quality product.

Last edited:

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I have had a number of keyboards for iPads and they all have pros and cons.

Brydge for iPad Pro 11 [2018) - Non trackpad version.

This was my first keyboard and it was great!

Pros.
- Good connectivity with little lag.
- Excellent typing experience
- Good range of function keys
- Good battery life
- USB C
- Solid weight that complimented the iPad

Cons.
- Difficult to remove and re-seat into hinges
- No trackpad

Apple Magic Keyboard for iPP 11 (2018) and 12.9 (2020)

Pros.
- Apple build quality
- Floating design
- Smart connector with pass thru charging

Cons.
- Premium price tag
- No function keys
- Can be awkward to use if not on a flat / horizontal surface

Arteck HB-192 - Multi device Bluetooth desktop keyboard

Pros.
- Connects to upto 3 Bluetooth devices
- Nil lag when typing
- Excellent build quality
- Slimline profile
- Vast array of function and media keys
- £25.00 GBP!!!

Cons.
- Arteck do not offer the same design in a more portable size (for laptop bag)
- Micro USB charging port

Would I welcome a folio keyboard for the Mini 6… probably.

I think the right one could turn the Mini 6 into a brilliant compact netbook.

But, it would obviously come with limitations given the dimensions to match the Mini 6. The most likely trade-off being the trackpad.

For now, I will be just as happy to use my Mini 6 as a browsing device, or with the Arteck when at my desk.

Will be interesting to see the offerings released though..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085WYX..._dp_A51EBRC6S5V8G8R352XM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Brydge has responded to my email regarding a Mini 6 keyboard:

"As of right now we have no immediate plans for this, however, this is definitely a possibility in the future".

Reactions: ElectronGuru

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I hope Brydge makes on. They're as close as it gets to the Apple Keyboard folios. They had one for the last mini that looks great.
Crazy as it seems, I am using my Brydge keyboard from the mini 5 and it works! The sleep/wake function doesn’t work but it’s really not a problem now that the power button is on the top rim. Also, the Brydge for the mini 5 is about an 1/8 of an inch (eyeballing) on either side of the mini 6 wider, it isn’t uncomfortable to lug around. Until a comparable keyboard is made specifically for the mimi 6, I’ll keep using the Brydge.

StatFlow

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
Crazy as it seems, I am using my Brydge keyboard from the mini 5 and it works! The sleep/wake function doesn’t work but it’s really not a problem now that the power button is on the top rim. Also, the Brydge for the mini 5 is about an 1/8 of an inch (eyeballing) on either side of the mini 6 wider, it isn’t uncomfortable to lug around. Until a comparable keyboard is made specifically for the mimi 6, I’ll keep using the Brydge.
Ohhhhh - could you take a picture of how this looks?

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Ohhhhh - could you take a picture of how this looks?
Here you go…

84348B14-E48C-4EC9-8CDB-EDA1B8D6CD73.jpeg
BEE4969D-B856-4C26-A855-328A125277E6.jpeg
2F811CA3-46D0-482D-B59D-7C98A578C44C.jpeg

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I can’t help but think that Apple are missing a trick by not creating the ability to turn a users iPhone into a full qwerty keyboard when in close proximity to an iPad, via Bluetooth and NFC.

I doubt there are many iPad owners that don’t also have an iPhone, so the ability to prop the iPad on a table top in a coffee shop and type on it via iPhone, would negate the need for a separate keyboard.

Thoughts..?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I can’t help but think that Apple are missing a trick by not creating the ability to turn a users iPhone into a full qwerty keyboard when in close proximity to an iPad, via Bluetooth and NFC.

I doubt there are many iPad owners that don’t also have an iPhone, so the ability to prop the iPad on a table top in a coffee shop and type on it via iPhone, would negate the need for a separate keyboard.

Thoughts..?
Hmmm… you’d still be thumb typing. No different than just holding the iPad mini in portrait and typing with your thumbs (like how I typed this).

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Hmmm… you’d still be thumb typing. No different than just holding the iPad mini in portrait and typing with your thumbs (like how I typed this).

Not if it was a full screen keyboard. Granted it would mean small keys, but no different to someone with thicker fingers typing on a smaller iPhone like the 5S.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
No, absolutely not for my usage. If I had to use a keyboard the minimum size would be the 11.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Back when I had a Mini 2, I purchased a keyboard folio for it. Yes, it was small, but I loved having a keyboard for meetings and the ability to pop it out when needed. I do wish Apple made some keyboard for the Mini 6. I'll probably be on the lookout for one, but not in a rush since I have the MK on my M1 12.9".

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I had the Logitech ultrathin magnetic clip-on that I used on my old mini 4. It was a really useful keyboard despite it’s small size. Really nice feeling to the keys and sturdy as you attached the iPad in a slot. Still have the keyboard and can use it with the Mini 6 as a regular BT keyboard, though the new mini can not be attached to it. I’m hoping for a similar design for the new mini. Best thing would have been a official Apple keyboard folio ??‍♂️

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Logitech just released a mini version of their MX Keys keyboard. Looks really nice. I use the regular MX Keys at work.
These things all lack an integrated trackpad or an input device though. Hopefully someone will make a high quality one. So does the folio but it just feels like a very elegant addition to the case

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
These things all lack an integrated trackpad or an input device though. Hopefully someone will make a high quality one. So does the folio but it just feels like a very elegant addition to the case

Yeah. A multi-device bluetooth version of the Combo Touch

or a keyboard+trackpad version on the Keys-To-Go would be great.

Honestly don't get why one doesn't exist yet considering the market is potentially larger (iPads, Android, Chrome, Windows).

Reactions: jozero

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I went for the Keys-To-Go which I think is as light and thin as I think you'll be able to get for what is still a decent sized keyboard for this thing. I only intend to use it if I'm away somewhere and want the option of typing, or as I'm doing now, I have it on my desk alongside my main machine to do the odd bit of admin.

Reactions: sracer

jozero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
I went for the Keys-To-Go which I think is as light and thin as I think you'll be able to get for what is still a decent sized keyboard for this thing. I only intend to use it if I'm away somewhere and want the option of typing, or as I'm doing now, I have it on my desk alongside my main machine to do the odd bit of admin.
Would you mind using that little plastic holder that holds the devices up & comes with the Keys-To-Go on your lap? Does it work well enough?

Vast majority of time I am using the keyboard folio or magic keyboard is on the sofa while its on my lap

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Would you mind using that little plastic holder that holds the devices up & comes with the Keys-To-Go on your lap? Does it work well enough?

Vast majority of time I am using the keyboard folio or magic keyboard is on the sofa while its on my lap
No, it won't work your lap as the keyboard isn't heavy enough to stop the whole thing tipping over - even with the iPad mini, it would take a fair bit of engineering to overcome physics (which is what the Magic Keyboard does). Works great on a desk though.

Reactions: jozero

publicfarley

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
This one just got released recently by Typecase. Looks pretty nice.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Every keyboard product on the market for ipad mini 6 right now is just garbage that looks like it came from the 90s. Logitech and Brydge are the only hope as Apple doesnt want mini 6 to mess with the ipad pro lineup.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
This one just got released recently by Typecase. Looks pretty nice.

i just ordered it. i’ll let everyone know my thoughts when i get it. thanks for posting this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.