Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Well, I'd see that as a downside. iOS's lack of features and customisation means that you can only apps found in a huge grid that is the homescreen.

Oh come now, isn't that logic a bit broken? It may be that to some tastes, iOS is a barren wasteland of functionality compared to Android. But surely it is still an advantage that the OS runs very smoothly? Rather than the lack of features being a consequence of the smoothness...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I don't dispute that Apple's customer service is the best there is, but you have to realise that what you experienced is far from the norm. If this is indeed *always* how it is for you, then you must be truly blessed. I had the exact same situation with dunking my new 4S just days after buying it. No such luck with the Genius that helped me, it was pay up the replacement fee or no iPhone. Of all my friends who have iPhones (many), I've only heard of one guy who had your luck, once.

So, of course Apple's customer service is awesome - and I was indeed very happy to get a refurbished replacement unit for just 150 bucks! - but these cases of generosity extending above and beyond the call of duty is firstly a case of that particular person being very kind. And such people can appear in any circumstance or at any customer service.

Well, I've had nothing but exceptional service from Apple customer service over the 6+ years I'd had their products--a few instances that immediately come to mind.

- 2 separate occasions where I had iPads with cracked glass, both times small straight cracks near a corner. First time was a few years back out of AppleCare coverage. I went in asking I'd they could repair/replace displays (they didn't at the time) and how much. They examined the iPad, took it into the back, came out with a new replacement device. I asked 'how much?' To which their reply was 'Nothing--have a great day.'

Second situation was just a few weeks ago. Again, noticed a small hairline crack, didn't recall a situation that might've caused it but I bought Applecar+ so was prepared to pay the replacement fee. And same as the first instance, when I went to give my card to pay, I was told 'No charge, it's on us.'

- Brought an iPhone (4 or 4S, I believe) in for a finicky home button that would sporadically not work. Again, outside of AppleCare warranty and again, replaced at no charge.

- a 1st gen Apple TV failed, blinking light indicated HDD failure, I believe. I brought it in--they didn't even open the box to examine it, just ordered me a replacement (were out of stock). When I came to pick it up a couple days later, again, didn't even examine my unit, just handed me the replacement and told me to have a great day

I'be had a few other instances that needed attention but we're within warranty and I was never met with any resistance whatsoever. Google or search these forums and you'll see tons of similar examples.

Apple has provided me the best service I've ever had, often going above and beyond what was required of them. There service and its immediate availability in their store has a huge influence on my choosing their devices.

----------

Lol, seriously forget about the general release. I'm downloading now.

Gotcha--new this wasn't your first rodeo, so to speak. :D

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Well, I've had nothing but exceptional service from Apple customer service over the 6+ years I'd had their products--a few instances that immediately come to mind.

- 2 separate occasions where I had iPads with cracked glass, both times small straight cracks near a corner. First time was a few years back out of AppleCare coverage. I went in asking I'd they could repair/replace displays (they didn't at the time) and how much. They examined the iPad, took it into the back, came out with a new replacement device. I asked 'how much?' To which their reply was 'Nothing--have a great day.'

Second situation was just a few weeks ago. Again, noticed a small hairline crack, didn't recall a situation that might've caused it but I bought Applecar+ so was prepared to pay the replacement fee. And same as the first instance, when I went to give my card to pay, I was told 'No charge, it's on us.'

- Brought an iPhone (4 or 4S, I believe) in for a finicky home button that would sporadically not work. Again, outside of AppleCare warranty and again, replaced at no charge.

- a 1st gen Apple TV failed, blinking light indicated HDD failure, I believe. I brought it in--they didn't even open the box to examine it, just ordered me a replacement (were out of stock). When I came to pick it up a couple days later, again, didn't even examine my unit, just handed me the replacement and told me to have a great day

I'be had a few other instances that needed attention but we're within warranty and I was never met with any resistance whatsoever. Google or search these forums and you'll see tons of similar examples.

Apple has provided me the best service I've ever had, often going above and beyond what was required of them. There service and its immediate availability in their store has a huge influence on my choosing their devices.

Actually this may have to do mostly with things being quite different in the US. Here in Sweden, customer service staff in general are less quick to go the extra mile and people are generally much less service minded (I've lived in the states.). People rather tend to do everything by the book and stick to the rules 110% of the time. As I said, I've never experienced this level of service from Apple myself, and I know hardly anyone who has. Rather, many people I know have had great trouble with their MacBooks, getting repaired units that didn't work, huge delays on repairs that were promised earlier and having to track down and call people just to make something happen.

Meanwhile I do appreciate the general service offered by Apple and certainly no other company has service like that available in their stores. And I too add Apple's customer service quality and availability into the calculation when I consider what brand to go with for tech products. It's just that that extra topping of generosity doesn't quite happen where I live.

So yeah, this might be almost like comparing apples and oranges actually, and our situation here might be more the exception than the rule for Apple worldwide. Some things are certainly better in the States, that's for sure. Roadside diners serving real mac (sorry about the pun) and cheese and general availability of cherry Coke would be further examples. :cool:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Nope. It's true. Put an AMOLED screen next to an IPS and you'll seewhat I mean.

If that's your honest opinion then that is simply down to your personal preference.

Here's a quote from the recent test of the Note 4 screen done by the quite thorough team over at Displaymate. Regardless of what you like or don't like, I think it's safe to say that Samsung's AMOLED screens are far from "horribly saturated":

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy Note 4 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It matches or breaks new records in Smartphone display performance for: Highest Absolute Color Accuracy, Highest Screen Resolution, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Peak Brightness, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and the smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. Its Color Management capability provides multiple Color Gamuts – a major advantage that is not currently provided by any of the other leading Smartphones. The Galaxy Note 4 delivers uniformly consistent all around Top Tier display performance: it is the first Smartphone display to ever get all Green (Very Good to Excellent) Ratings in all test and measurement categories (except one Yellow for a Brightness Variation with Average Picture Level) since we started the Display Technology Shoot-Out article Series in 2006, an impressive achievement for a display. The Galaxy Note 4 has again raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Has the rumoured 1GB of ram put any people off the iphone at all?

I don't think it's rumor any longer--thought I saw it confirmed somewhere.

Can't say I'm happy about it but I've only had 1GB in my iDevices for the past year and have been coping reasonable well (the odd page refresh in Safari on my iPads is certainly irritating). Would've certainly have loved to see 2 GB. I'll keep a close watch on performance on my 6+ and if it proves problematic, won't hesitate to return it.

I suspect we may see 2GB in the new iPads next month and Apple may prefer to have that as a differentiator between the 2 product lines. Who knows their thinking. For me, if it affects performance adversely for my usage, then I won't keep it, plain and simple.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
If that's your honest opinion then that is simply down to your personal preference.

Here's a quote from the recent test of the Note 4 screen done by the quite thorough team over at Displaymate. Regardless of what you like or don't like, I think it's safe to say that Samsung's AMOLED screens are far from "horribly saturated":

Of course its my personal preference. I don't let reviewers sway me. Either I like it or I dont.

About 2 years ago, I used to call out Samsung phones from far away. My buddy would wonder how. Guess how I did it? Blue screens are easy to notice. They all had a very noticeable blue tint. They also packaged avatar with one of their Galaxy phones which I thought was awesomely comical.

Now, they have gotten better, but their colors just don't look natural to me. Washed out and saturated. Take a pic, then compare the result with what you took a picture of. The colors do not match.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't dispute that Apple's customer service is the best there is, but you have to realise that what you experienced is far from the norm. If this is indeed *always* how it is for you, then you must be truly blessed. I had the exact same situation with dunking my new 4S just days after buying it. No such luck with the Genius that helped me, it was pay up the replacement fee or no iPhone. Of all my friends who have iPhones (many), I've only heard of one guy who had your luck, once.

So, of course Apple's customer service is awesome - and I was indeed very happy to get a refurbished replacement unit for just 150 bucks! - but these cases of generosity extending above and beyond the call of duty is firstly a case of that particular person being very kind. And such people can appear in any circumstance or at any customer service.

I had to pay the fee for my wife when she cracked hers a day after we bought it (iPhone 5). But I brought her with me and she was absolutely distraught.....the genius gave us free AppleCare+ on the replacement.

I think its more the norm than not.

----------

I don't think it's rumor any longer--thought I saw it confirmed somewhere.

Can't say I'm happy about it but I've only had 1GB in my iDevices for the past year and have been coping reasonable well (the odd page refresh in Safari on my iPads is certainly irritating). Would've certainly have loved to see 2 GB. I'll keep a close watch on performance on my 6+ and if it proves problematic, won't hesitate to return it.

I suspect we may see 2GB in the new iPads next month and Apple may prefer to have that as a differentiator between the 2 product lines. Who knows their thinking. For me, if it affects performance adversely for my usage, then I won't keep it, plain and simple.

I think you might be right. Up to this point, I've only ever experience the Safari refresh on my iPad Air (I've had a lot of Apple devices :)), so I'm not sure how much added benefit there might be on the 6 and 6+. Especially since I had no problems on my rMini at 7.9".

Don't ask me why the Air seems to suffer from this. I've seen explanations but they don't make a lot of sense to me. I think a big shift is coming for the iPad line as with the new iPhones, the barrier between phone and tablet is blurred. I think Apple moves to add some differentiation to a stagnating product line by beefing up the specs and possibly adding some iPad-only features to iOS.

----------

Nope. It's true. Put an AMOLED screen next to an IPS and you'll seewhat I mean.

Samsung offers various calibrations and settings to bring the colors closer to sRGB and AdobeRGB standards.

To start out, yes - AMOLEDs are cooler and more saturated. But they can be tweaked.

To me, the real garbage regarding Samsung's screens is the fact that they are marketed as having a higher PPI than they really do because of the PENTILE matrix they use.

For example, the Note 4 has 518 green pixels (518 PPI is what they advertise), but only 366 blue and red pixels.

It's a bit disingenuous.....which I wouldn't automatically fault them for (because they do have really nice displays) if they weren't out there publicly trying to shame competitors like Apple who have "less resolution" displays in their devices.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Of course its my personal preference. I don't let reviewers sway me. Either I like it or I dont.

About 2 years ago, I used to call out Samsung phones from far away. My buddy would wonder how. Guess how I did it? Blue screens are easy to notice. They all had a very noticeable blue tint. They also packaged avatar with one of their Galaxy phones which I thought was awesomely comical.

Now, they have gotten better, but their colors just don't look natural to me. Washed out and saturated. Take a pic, then compare the result with what you took a picture of. The colors do not match.

I'm not sure how something can be washed out and over saturated at the same time.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Wow I'm really liking iOS 8 on the 5s. The new predictive text on the keyboard is awesome. This is definitely a noticeable update.

It really is the most substantial upgrade for iOS in years.

One change I wasn't aware of until listening to an iOS overview podcast today was the inclusion as part of extensibility of document provider extensions. What it does is basically allow equal access to any other cloud drive provider that iCloud Drive has access to. So if you prefer to use Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc instead, you'll be able to. I wasn't aware of this change and for those who share across platforms, this is huge as you aren't restricted to iCloud Drive, something you obviously wouldn't have access to on Android. Very unlike Apple...I'm truly surprised by this.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm not sure how something can be washed out and over saturated at the same time.

On the S3 you have a very unnatural color range which tended to make things look off and washed out in some areas of the spectrum, and blazing neon in others.

Not present in AMOLED Samsung phones.

S3 was pretty awful.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
It really is the most substantial upgrade for iOS in years.

One change I wasn't aware of until listening to an iOS overview podcast today was the inclusion as part of extensibility of document provider extensions. What it does is basically allow equal access to any other cloud drive provider that iCloud Drive has access to. So if you prefer to use Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc instead, you'll be able to. I wasn't aware of this change and for those who share across platforms, this is huge as you aren't restricted to iCloud Drive, something you obviously wouldn't have access to on Android. Very unlike Apple...I'm truly surprised by this.

Didn't notice that. There are so many changes, It's going to take a while to go thru everything.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This post is all in good fun..not seriously trolling anyone, but I couldn't resist.

Here's my favorite use of Google Now today...and no I'm not talking about the weather. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1659.PNG
    IMG_1659.PNG
    158.3 KB · Views: 105

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia

It may not be the norm for Apple, but many other phone manufacturers offer this as the norm.
Oh come now, isn't that logic a bit broken? It may be that to some tastes, iOS is a barren wasteland of functionality compared to Android. But surely it is still an advantage that the OS runs very smoothly? Rather than the lack of features being a consequence of the smoothness...

What does smoothness have to do with this? Slightly more battery from the OS does not cause lag and stutter.

In fact, due to the iPhone's lack of RAM, I would say the iPhone is the phone lacking smoothness...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
This post is all in good fun..not seriously trolling anyone, but I couldn't resist.

Here's my favorite use of Google Now today...and no I'm not talking about the weather. ;)

Hah :p surprised you got the plus, dont remember you being a phablet guy. The regular tickles my fancy more.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Hah :p surprised you got the plus, dont remember you being a phablet guy. The regular tickles my fancy more.

If it was my only phone, you're right, probably wouldn't have gotten it. But as I'm keeping my 5S as well, thought I'd try the big one. I usually carry a small tablet as well so gonna try the 6+ as a replacement for phone/tablet and will use the 5S when I go cycling/running or when active and prefer to have a smaller phone.

Was also attracted to the much larger battery, higher res display and OIS in he camera.

Dreday24

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
i ordered a 6 128gb, no reason to get the 6plus for me as I would rather have a note 4.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I had to pay the fee for my wife when she cracked hers a day after we bought it (iPhone 5). But I brought her with me and she was absolutely distraught.....the genius gave us free AppleCare+ on the replacement.

I think its more the norm than not.

----------

I think you might be right. Up to this point, I've only ever experience the Safari refresh on my iPad Air (I've had a lot of Apple devices :)), so I'm not sure how much added benefit there might be on the 6 and 6+. Especially since I had no problems on my rMini at 7.9".

Don't ask me why the Air seems to suffer from this. I've seen explanations but they don't make a lot of sense to me. I think a big shift is coming for the iPad line as with the new iPhones, the barrier between phone and tablet is blurred. I think Apple moves to add some differentiation to a stagnating product line by beefing up the specs and possibly adding some iPad-only features to iOS.

----------

Samsung offers various calibrations and settings to bring the colors closer to sRGB and AdobeRGB standards.

To start out, yes - AMOLEDs are cooler and more saturated. But they can be tweaked.

To me, the real garbage regarding Samsung's screens is the fact that they are marketed as having a higher PPI than they really do because of the PENTILE matrix they use.

For example, the Note 4 has 518 green pixels (518 PPI is what they advertise), but only 366 blue and red pixels.

It's a bit disingenuous.....which I wouldn't automatically fault them for (because they do have really nice displays) if they weren't out there publicly trying to shame competitors like Apple who have "less resolution" displays in their devices.

Starting with the gs5 samsung is using a diamond matrix and not pentile.there ppi is exactly what they claim and it don't matter what color each pixel is because they are in a diamond matrix and use bigger pixels on the weaker colors.

They still have exactly the number of pixels they claim and you somehow you think because some pixels are more red then others the phone has less ppi?

Say it out loud so you can remember it because you always mention this in threads about samsung screens.

The new amoled screens use diamond matrix pixel array....now say it 100 times so you can remember it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.