Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Starting with the gs5 samsung is using a diamond matrix and not pentile.there ppi is exactly what they claim and it don't matter what color each pixel is because they are in a diamond matrix and use bigger pixels on the weaker colors.

They still have exactly the number of pixels they claim and you somehow you think because some pixels are more red then others the phone has less ppi?

Say it out loud so you can remember it because you always mention this in threads about samsung screens.

The new amoled screens use diamond matrix pixel array....now say it 100 times so you can remember it.
Hey pal....read the DisplayMate review.....

Now apologize for your condescending tone.

I forgive you.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Hey pal....read the DisplayMate review.....

Now apologize for your condescending tone.

I forgive you.

The gs5 and note 4 use a diamond matrix and nothing like the first pentile amoled displays it had before it that you keep bringing up like it's still like the first Gen screens.

BTW your DisplayMate review puts the note 4 display the best they have ever tested lol

Attachments

• s41.jpg
    s41.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 106

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The gs5 and note 4 use a diamond matrix and nothing like the first amoled displays it had before it.
The numbers I said are still fact. I already said Samsung displays are nice....I just feel their marketing is incredibly disingenuous. And it's not really the marketing itself, just that they bash competitors using extremely stretched truths.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
The numbers I said are still fact. I already said Samsung displays are nice....I just feel their marketing is incredibly disingenuous. And it's not really the marketing itself, just that they bash competitors using extremely stretched truths.

It's not stretched truths if you take a microscope and count the individual pixels it's exactly what they state and the way they layer them in a diamond shape gets the to be able to use less of the other 2 colors but also makes the weaker colors bigger.

Your upset because they didn't use exactly the same amount of colored pixels in the display? If they did that they would never get it calibrated right and the weaker colors would fade over time.

The whole reason they went diamond and less of the other colors was to get the display spot on calibrated and according to your review they have made the best display in the world.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It's not stretched truths if you take a microscope and count the individual pixels it's exactly what they state and the way they layer them in a diamond shape gets the to be able to use less of the other 2 colors but also makes the weaker colors bigger.
They state the Note 4 has 518 PPI. It does not overall. It has 518 green sub pixels per inch, but only 366 of each other color.

Do the math. Compared to the new 6+, the N4 actually has less subpixels.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
They state the Note 4 has 518 PPI. It does not overall. It has 518 green sub pixels per inch, but only 366 of each other color.

Do the math. Compared to the new 6+, the N4 actually has less subpixels.

No it has 518 pixels per square inch if you measure a square inch of the phone with a microscope you will get 518 pixels and that's all 3 colors counted for.

Who gives a crap if some of the pixels in that square inch are not equal colored.the reason it has a different amount of each color pixels in that square in is to get the damn screen calibrated right

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No it has 518 pixels per square inch if you measure a square inch of the phone with a microscope you will get 518 pixels and that's all 3 colors counted for.

Who gives a crap if some of the pixels in that square inch are not equal colored.the reason it has a different amount of each color pixels in that square in is to get the damn screen calibrated right
Each pixel is made up (usually) of three sub pixels.

So please explain how 518 PPI can have 518 green sub pixels, 366 red sub pixels and 366 blue sub pixels.

Spoiler: I know they use a different tech. But 518 PPI denotes having 518 green, red and blue sub pixels.

If an iPhone had 518 PPI that's what it would mean.

518+366+366 does not equal 518+518+518.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Each pixel is made up (usually) of three sub pixels.

So please explain how 518 PPI can have 518 green sub pixels, 366 red sub pixels and 366 blue sub pixels.

Spoiler: I know they use a different tech. But 518 PPI denotes having 518 green, red and blue sub pixels.

If an iPhone had 518 PPI that's what it would mean.

518+366+366 does not equal 518+518+518.

There is 3.7 million pixels on the note 4 screen and they are in a diamond array...who gives a crap about what color is each individual sub pixel when the total number of pixels is the advertised spec.

Just because some pixels are different colors don't mean those pixels are not there.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
There is 3.7 million pixels on the note 4 screen and they are in a diamond array...who gives a crap about what color is each individual sub pixel when the total number of pixels is the advertised spec.

Just because some pixels are different colors don't mean those pixels are not there.
*sigh*

Dude I'm not gonna keep arguing with you. I'm not saying Samsung displays are bad - I actually defended them.

I'm simply saying if Apple were to use a 518ppi IPS LCD it would have more sub pixels and therefore denote a different metric than Samsung saying 518ppi with their AMOLEDs....that's all.

Jesus....you'd think I just insulted your mother. Just look deeper than pixel counts is really my ultimate point - because one number (in this case 518 vs 401) doesn't tell the whole story.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
*sigh*

Dude I'm not gonna keep arguing with you. I'm not saying Samsung displays are bad - I actually defended them.

I'm simply saying if Apple were to use a 518ppi IPS LCD it would have more sub pixels and therefore denote a different metric than Samsung saying 518ppi with their AMOLEDs....that's all.

Jesus....you'd think I just insulted your mother. Just look deeper than pixel counts is really my ultimate point - because one number (in this case 518 vs 401) doesn't tell the whole story.

The ips screen is not in a diamond array.you are somehow thinking samsung has less colored sub pixels because they couldn't do it.they went this way because of the way the pixels are layered and because some colors are brighter then others and had to figure out a,way to get them all together and calibrated right.

The note 4 has 518 PPI but not all equal subpixels did you want samsung to label it like that lol

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The ips screen is not in a diamond array.you are somehow thinking samsung has less colored sub pixels because they couldn't do it.they went this way because of the way the pixels are layered and because some colors are brighter then others and had to figure out a,way to get them all together and calibrated right.

The note 4 has 518 PPI but not all equal subpixels did you want samsung to label it like that lol
Not saying Samsung "couldn't do it".

Also not saying Samsung should go into detailed explanation.

But they could lay off the attack ads based on unequal metrics.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Since when did we start having sex and losing our virginity to smartphones? Do you take selfies while you do it? Is the 3.5mm headphone jack even big enough to accommodate? Asian guy jokes aside, I thought Apple's 4 inches was "small."

No, I lost my virginity to iOS six years ago. But I still preferred losing my cherry to a heterosexual female which was a long, long time ago.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I'm not sure how something can be washed out and over saturated at the same time.

Touché. The colors are horrible, I meant. They are overly bright. They are unnaturally hued. It's sickening the first time I look at them. If course you can get used to it.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Touché. The colors are horrible, I meant. They are overly bright. They are unnaturally hued. It's sickening the first time I look at them. If course you can get used to it.

That was with the galaxy s3 the new screens are perfectly calibrated now

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
That was with the galaxy s3 the new screens are perfectly calibrated now

Samsung's screens are still disgustingly oversaturated.

....if you completely ignore the fact that you can do a one time settings change to another screen mode, and get some of the best color reproduction on the market.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Samsung's screens are still disgustingly oversaturated.

....if you completely ignore the fact that you can do a one time settings change to another screen mode, and get some of the best color reproduction on the market.

People like pop and saturated colors and is why they default them in that mode.

I have a zt60 plasma by far one of the best TVs ever made and you don't hear people complaining about its vivid mode that over saturates the colors.a simple 5 seconds in the menu gets you one of the best if not the best picture ever reproduced in any TV.

Sad thing panny stopped making them

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Since we are talking about displays, holding my S5 up against the iPhone 6 and 6+, they both look better to me when viewing web pages and text.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Actually you're right. It has pretty much the exact same technologies and features.

The only real differences are the RAM, wireless charging, much lower price and a release date approximately 2 years earlier.

Yes, but the iPhone's A8 absolutely destroys the CPU and GPU performance of the Nexus 4.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Yes, but the iPhone's A8 absolutely destroys the CPU and GPU performance of the Nexus 4.

Well, that post was right from the beginning. If you read further on, I admitted that the iPhone 6 was probably faster (in terms of CPU and GPU performance) than the Nexus 4 although, at the time of the post, the iPhone 6 was not yet out.

Anyway, as an example, the iPhone 6 plus only scored 14 points higher in Geekbench 3 than my Nexus 5 (that was released in Oct 2013).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.