Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
I feel like I’ll get bored on iPhone/ iOS and try a Motorola or like last time a new Nokia phone. Eventually it wears off and I end up coming back to an iPhone. I don’t hate Android like some but there’s something about how smooth iOS is, iCloud synchronization, lighting versus (micro usb (most handsets), build quality on some and so on. Anyone have a specific reason they always pick iPhone over an Android phone? Hoping I’m not crazy lol.

Ryan

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I will be moving to Android with my next primary phone. I won't be back unless Apple uncharacteristically decides to allow me some options in customizing my device at some point. That is very unlikely to happen given Apple's current path of locking the customer in.

But I also plan on picking up an iPad Pro in the beginning of 2018 and I still have my Macs and at the time I replace my primary phone my current iPhone will join my other two (4s and 5). There are currently six iPhones in the house.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I bounce between the two depending on what I want in a phone at the time.

I needed a headphone jack, a lighter device, 4x4 MIMO/256 QAM, so my move was to an LG V30+.

I went from a Note 3 to an iPhone 5c. It was my first iPhone and the looks were stunning to me. It felt tiny at first but at my job, it made it easier to carry around.

The rumor of a colorful polycarbonate shelled device in 2018 seems unlikely but I'd be happy if it came true.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I’m the opposite. Wife and I were lifelong android users. I couldn’t even think about going with an iPhone and being so confined. An iPhone felt like a starter phone to me compared to what high end android phones can do. One of the biggest draws for us is the Apple Watch. No android watch can even come close. We both love the phones and I am getting used to just using what Apple gives me instead of downloading nova launcher and moving everything around.

Reactions: Jgibb26

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I’m the opposite. Wife and I were lifelong android users. I couldn’t even think about going with an iPhone and being so confined. An iPhone felt like a starter phone to me compared to what high end android phones can do. One of the biggest draws for us is the Apple Watch. No android watch can even come close. We both love the phones and I am getting used to just using what Apple gives me instead of downloading nova launcher and moving everything around.

Had you tried the gear S3? Looks to be very competitive to the Apple Watch. What was it missing that Apple Watch has?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've done it several times and I moved back to Android on an S8 in March.

However, the difference this time is I don't see myself moving back to iOS on my phone unless it changes drastically (my tablets are a completely different matter as there's nothing to touch the iPad Pro at the moment) - Android has come on leaps and bounds since the last time I used it (Android 5) and it just seems to suit me better than iOS at the moment

A new iPhone launch would normally see me coming back to iOS but this year it led to me getting a Note 8...

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Had you tried the gear S3? Looks to be very competitive to the Apple Watch. What was it missing that Apple Watch has?
It’s ugly as hell to me for one. Apps are also better on Apple Watch than the gear s3. I do believe the gear s3 might have better battery life, though.
[doublepost=1512935077][/doublepost]
I've done it several times and I moved back to Android on an S8 in March.

However, the difference this time is I don't see myself moving back to iOS on my phone unless it changes drastically (my tablets are a completely different matter as there's nothing to touch the iPad Pro at the moment) - Android has come on leaps and bounds since the last time I used it (Android 5) and it just seems to suit me better than iOS at the moment

A new iPhone launch would normally see me coming back to iOS but this year it led to me getting a Note 8...
Opposite end of the spectrum here. I will say that Samsung has nailed it this year. Not iOS or pixel smooth, but it’s not a janky mess like it has been in the past. Samsung also claims their batteries will only lose 5% capacity per year now. The s7 last year would lose around 20% per year. The s8+ is my phone of the year. I sold mine yesterday and will miss it.

Reactions: Earth45

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Android has come on leaps and bounds since the last time I used it (Android 5) and it just seems to suit me better than iOS at the moment
This is one of the reasons I even considered Android this time around.

I've used my daughter's crap tablet for the last year and compared to the last time I had used one, Android has considerably improved. And that is that her tablet is a stock Verizon tablet with all the bloatware and everything else installed, as well as not being up to date.

The fact that Android has always been more open and is now moving up to a level graphic wise that I can agree with while Apple has made jailbreaking and customizing more difficult has sealed it for me. Apple and I diverged on design aesthetics with the 6 series and we also don't see eye to eye on what I consider to be a feature (Animojis and poop emoji, really?!).

So, yeah, once I move I won't be back.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
As someone who has used Apple watches and Android wear and Samsung tizen watches Apple watches are clearly. Better IMHO. Just wish I could use it on my Note 8

Reactions: denisej

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I feel like I’ll get bored on iPhone/ iOS and try a Motorola or like last time a new Nokia phone. Eventually it wears off and I end up coming back to an iPhone. I don’t hate Android like some but there’s something about how smooth iOS is, iCloud synchronization, lighting versus (micro usb (most handsets), build quality on some and so on. Anyone have a specific reason they always pick iPhone over an Android phone? Hoping I’m not crazy lol.

Ryan
Why does these threads need to exist? Apple and Google can coexist perfectly fine. I have no loyalty and since I use Google services and Microsoft I can easily switch between operating systems. Only place where I used Apple services is iCloud and most of my. Photos is saved to it. I currently have a Note 8 but I also prefer my iPad Pro 10.5 over my Samsung galaxy tab S3. Also have a Macbook Pro and a Windows laptop. No need to justify having android or ios

imartez

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2017
The last iPhone I had was the iPhone 6. After that, I was frustrated with Apple and iOS and went to Android. I have used so many different Android devices and have both good and bad experiences. Currently I am using the Google Pixel 2 XL and out of all the Android devices I have used, it is hands down the best. The overall experience I got from the software and integration with Google services was great, having said that, the display issues on the Pixel 2 XL and the iPhone X redesign caught my attention. I eventually ordered the iPhone X and have to say that I am using it now more than my Pixel 2 XL. I also have an Apple Watch and the features and UX are top notch. There are still things from the Pixel 2 and Android that I like better, for example, a blinking notification light, google software integration, Always on Display, Camera and fast charging. Right now, I am looking for a better experience with mobile devices and for me, the iPhone X gives me a better experience. Apps look better on the iPhone, the Apple Watch integration is great, the build quality of the X is great, the OLED display blows the Pixel 2 display away, call quality on the X is really clear and it's so sad that so many reviewers don't account for call quality anymore. The stereo speakers on the X are really nice as well. As far as cameras go, they are both great, however, for video I prefer the iPhone, but for stills, I prefer the Pixel 2 XL.

The other item that got me was that iCloud is offering 2TB of storage for $10/month as opposed to Google's 1TB for the same price. I'm waiting for the Pixel 3 to see what Google can do now that they have HTC in their pocket.

Reactions: 5105973

Ml989

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2017
Oh this post has my name all over it. I tried going to android for two weeks and I couldn’t do it. I hate how there is actually to much customization, I couldn’t type on their key boards (even with downloading other ones), and I hated how google was all up in my business on every little damn thing.

Their junk.

So happy I have my iPhone X back

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Oh this post has my name all over it. I tried going to android for two weeks and I couldn’t do it. I hate how there is actually to much customization, I couldn’t type on their key boards (even with downloading other ones), and I hated how google was all up in my business on every little damn thing.

Their junk.

So happy I have my iPhone X back
What did you go with? Sounds like a pixel xl2

Ml989

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2017
What did you go with? Sounds like a pixel xl2

Yup you are exactly right. I had the regular pixel and then the galaxy s8 active. Cool phones but way to much stuff going on for me personally. Wasn’t as smooth as iOS either

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I tried the windows mobile phone. While it was nice, the appstore was so barren i couldnt find anything to download. The camera was also hugely inferior.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I started on Android, went to iPhone with the 5, stuck with it until the 6. Got a Galaxy S6 Edge for free, switched the 6S Plus within 6 months. Not going to go back to Android for my main phone, but I wouldn't mind it as a secondary device to play around with. But $700+ for something I just want to test out random stuff with = nope.

Reactions: MisterMillz

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As someone who has used Apple watches and Android wear and Samsung tizen watches Apple watches are clearly. Better IMHO. Just wish I could use it on my Note 8

I will say that Samsung watches have nice hardware, it's Tizen that takes away from the experience. And that's usually how it is, it always comes down to the software performance, as hardware wears off eventually.

Last edited:

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
I’ve been through A LOT of phones. Started with a Android my Touch. It was my first “smart phone” although I’ve had palm pres and side kicks. So o started with android. My first iPhone was the 4. Ever since the 4 I was back and fourth between Android and apple. Once the 6s came out and got one I did try the galaxy s7. I quickly dropped that when the 7 came out. Once I got the 7 I promised myself I’ll never go android again. It’s like a temporary high I get when I get a nice android device and within 3 months I miss apple a lot. I now have the iPhone X and it helps me with trying to think of going to get a galaxy. But I will never go android again.

jpsmithdesign

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2017
UK
I've jumped back twice now - went from an iPhone 5 to a HTC Sensation XE in late 2011, then after that to a Nokia Lumia 800 then an iPhone 6. Then I recently jumped back from a Samsung S7 Edge to an iPhone 8 plus. Here's why:

I Jumped to Android:

I got bored of the same display - It worked well, but it got boring having the same OS
I was enticed by interesting features - Better sound quality, better cameras, better battery, OLED display etc.

I jumped back to iOS

Android can be buggy as hell
The battery life is appalling after 5 or 6 months
Payments through the app store and Android pay feel less secure
I had issues with both HTC and Samsung devices - and both companies were useless with repairs and quoted stupidly long turn around times. Apple's customer service is a hundred times better
Android is an absolute farce to use with a Mac

I also had a Samsung Gear S2 - Lovely device, if you have a Samsung. It doesn't work nearly as well with an iOS device, so I'm now back to the Apple Watch, which is great.

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
if basic of basic customization was allowed in ios I would probably stick with iphone (such as being able to change the color of imessage. Im not loyal to either os and ive used android more but i appreciate how well ios works but must say android is pretty damn close in reliability imo. My iphone 7 has been rock solid for a year and I use it ALOT, tons of photos-texting internet browsing etc...the screen is slightly too small for me, but I will never get a phone in the plus size range so the ipx is in my crosshairs

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't change mainly due to performance, security, privacy, apps, and ecosystem. I don't see Android ever being better in this regard.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I've tried Android time and time again over the years and it's always the same thing. The hardware turns out to be nice but I can't handle the performance degradation that happens within weeks. The only time this wasn't the case was with the Pixel. That was the ONE time my iPhone's throne was threatened.

Fortunately my wife bought me an Apple Watch for our anniversary and there's been no thought of going anywhere else since.

Reactions: DNichter

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I jump back and forth every couple days. I like having the best of both worlds. Currently have an X and a Pixel 2 XL. It would be hard for me to completely ditch either iOS or Android.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.