Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Me. Late last year, Samsung sent me a S7 to try out for a 6 months. Yes it was nice, but I couldn't help but come back to iOS. Both iOS & Android have their pros and cons.

Reactions: Pnr2020

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Yes, I’ve given up on Android for this reason now. I always end up coming back to iOS and every time I have an iPhone, I always keep them so much longer than my Android phones. Android isn’t bad, it’s actually pretty good, but I just prefer iOS.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I bought a LG G6 back in August since I've had the phone it not received a single update apart from when i first switched it on, it's still stuck on the July Security Patch which is unacceptable 2017 flagship.

Not only that the wide angle camera is crap on mine because if uses an inferior lens 2.09mm rather than 2.01mm that is alot sharper & it's luck of the draw if you find one with 2.01mm lens.

I've packed it back up and being sold after the New Year, I've gone back to using my iPhone SE as my main phone again I'm so glad i didn't sell it on as mine the 64GB version.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I am sporting both iOS and Android (and also Windows Phone, was). Nobody told me that I can only use one platform.

Android's strength is the vast variation of hardware available. Plus thanks to the likes of Xiaomi, just getting an Android phone for tinkering around or backup becomes extremely affordable.

I still opt for iOS for general usability and reliability, thus my main driver is still iOS.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I bought a LG G6 back in August since I've had the phone it not received a single update apart from when i first switched it on, it's still stuck on the July Security Patch which is unacceptable 2017 flagship.

Not only that the wide angle camera is crap on mine because if uses an inferior lens 2.09mm rather than 2.01mm that is alot sharper & it's luck of the draw if you find one with 2.01mm lens.

I've packed it back up and being sold after the New Year, I've gone back to using my iPhone SE as my main phone again I'm so glad i didn't sell it on as mine the 64GB version.
As of last weekend when I sold my note 8 it was stuck on the August security patch. I’d had it since launch. My husband who also has a note 8 on a different carrier is also stuck on August.

I get that the major software updates take a while but for security updates to be months out of date is unacceptable. In the same time period my iPhone 7 Plus, iPad, Apple Watch, MacBook and Apple TV got multiple updates.

Reactions: Pnr2020

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I've had an LG Nexus 5X for a while. And although I never intended to have it replace my iPhone anyway, I was quite impressed by how well the device performed despite being incredibly cheap. Biggest problem: ecosystem (e.g. how it works together with a laptop, tv box etc). It's got none of it. And I've become so attached to that feature alone on my Apple device, I just cannot switch to Android. Not as long as I use an Apple product within almost every category (smartphone, laptop, tv box, smartwatch). :p

Reactions: Shanghaichica

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I've had an LG Nexus 5X for a while. And although I never intended to have it replace my iPhone anyway, I was quite impressed by how well the device performed despite being incredibly cheap. Biggest problem: ecosystem (e.g. how it works together with a laptop, tv box etc). It's got none of it. And I've become so attached to that feature alone on my Apple device, I just cannot switch to Android. Not as long as I use an Apple product within almost every category (smartphone, laptop, tv box, smartwatch). :p

I’ve been thinking about ecosystems. For me having hardware working together isn’t relevant. I only use our desk top or lap top occasionally. Don’t know why having hardware working together is important.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’ve been thinking about ecosystems. For me having hardware working together isn’t relevant. I only use our desk top or lap top occasionally. Don’t know why having hardware working together is important.
If I buy an app or video on one platform I’d like it to work on with another device I have. I like the fact that I can control my Apple TV with my iPhone or my iPad. I like the fact that I can use my Apple Watch with my iPhone. I like the fact that actions are consistent across all of my Touch based devices, I.e swiping backwards left will take me back. I like the fact that I can unlock my MacBook with my Apple Watch. I like the fact that if I make a note on my iPhone it will instantly show up on my iPad or the fact that any pictures I take on my iPhone are available on my iPad, Apple TV and iPad without me having to do anything. I like the fact that I can start an activity on my phone and pick up exactly where I left off on my iPad or mac. I like the fact that I can take a call on my iPad, MacBook or Apple Watch. I can see and reply to messages on my iPad, mac of iPhone. I can make video calls on my iPad or my mac. These are just some of the reasons why I like having an integrated ecosystem.

Reactions: Jgibb26 and FFR

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
As of last weekend when I sold my note 8 it was stuck on the August security patch. I’d had it since launch. My husband who also has a note 8 on a different carrier is also stuck on August.

I get that the major software updates take a while but for security updates to be months out of date is unacceptable. In the same time period my iPhone 7 Plus, iPad, Apple Watch, MacBook and Apple TV got multiple updates.
Same for me I was stuck on the August security update which was a joke for a flag ship phone. Some regions got November security update but in the uk still August so it was bye bye note 8

johnmed

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
uk
I tried an S8 for a few weeks based on the industrial design of it versus my iP7. Came back to the 7 before deciding upon the X.

Other than the fingerprint sensor placement it was Android which essentially annoyed me more than iOS.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I've used both platforms on and off since 2010. Majority of the time I've used Android. For the last three years I used iphone. Mainly because I was going for aesthics. But I have been craving functionality. iOS 11 was it for me. Apple made ios even more walled than before. Then it was the sloppy ios 10 and ios11 roll outs. On top of that overpriced hardware.

I got a note 8 last week and I don't see myself going back to iOS anytime soon. Especially with the lack of a plus model for iPhone x.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Well, I like how seamless it is to simply stream video/audio from my Mac or iPhone to my Apple TV, continue working on a document or E-mail on my Mac I was working at on my iPhone, take calls on my Mac etc. To me, it does matter. Every time I switch to my Windows environment and/or Android, I instantly miss that. :p

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I have owned two previous Galaxy phones (along side iPhone's NOT instead of them). Being able to compare them side by side always resulted in sticking with an iPhone. There is nothing wrong with Android phones in general and I can appreciate why people love them, but I would lose my ecosystem including some important ones such as CarPlay and Apple Watch. Also the same apps tend to be rougher around the edges on Android.

If I ever decided to leave the Apple ecosystem I would still consider an Android, but for the foreseeable future that's unlikely.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
I'm on the opposite end. Try iOS once in a while but always go back to Android. Apple's hardware is always best in the industry, premium materials, reliable phones for the most part, slick design but damn iOS is retarded. Once you explore Android to it's full potential, it's hard to go back to iOS and be comfortable with it again. It's so featureless and underdeveloped (which is especially apparent on their new flagship iPhone X - the way you get to the recently used apps and the way you close them is just retarded)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'm on the opposite end. Try iOS once in a while but always go back to Android. Apple's hardware is always best in the industry, premium materials, reliable phones for the most part, slick design but damn iOS is retarded. Once you explore Android to it's full potential, it's hard to go back to iOS and be comfortable with it again. It's so featureless and underdeveloped (which is especially apparent on their new flagship iPhone X - the way you get to the recently used apps and the way you close them is just retarded)
How is a quick swipe up/right to access the app switcher "retarded"? Seems just as easy, if not easier, than double clicking a button. Also, you don't need to close apps on iOS unless they're stuck so your second example is a non-issue.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
How is a quick swipe up/right to access the app switcher "retarded"? Seems just as easy, if not easier, than double clicking a button. Also, you don't need to close apps on iOS unless they're stuck so your second example is a non-issue.

It is one thing to swipe up at any speed, any angle and get into the app switcher and another to have to carefully create this arch with your finger that in my experience: a) works about 60-70% and b) i still have to adjust my grip of the phone to even make it right. It's not quick or natural and I have to do it slow if I want it to work.

The app switcher is for that, to switch apps - if I have every app open since I first got the phone, am I supposed to scroll through all apps every time to make a switch? Why do I have to press and hold then flick up to close each up. Couldn't have implemented an "X" or something so I can close them all and move on with my life? Retarded.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
It is one thing to swipe up at any speed, any angle and get into the app switcher and another to have to carefully create this arch with your finger that in my experience: a) works about 60-70% and b) i still have to adjust my grip of the phone to even make it right. It's not quick or natural and I have to do it slow if I want it to work.

The app switcher is for that, to switch apps - if I have every app open since I first got the phone, am I supposed to scroll through all apps every time to make a switch? Why do I have to press and hold then flick up to close each up. Couldn't have implemented an "X" or something so I can close them all and move on with my life? Retarded.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion (no matter how insensitively it may be worded) but I don't share your experience with the app switcher access gesture at all. It's very consistent and reliable for me.

The app switcher is organized chronologically, which is logical considering most apps you're going to switch between are going to be ones you've used recently. If you're looking to switch to something further back in the list, reason dictates that it's something you haven't used in a while and it would be much quicker to close out of the current app and use the icon on the springboard (or spotlight if it's something you have buried in a folder or subsequent page).

As far as the app closing gripe goes, I'm not even getting into it as it's been parroted a thousand times and people seem resistant to the fact that iOS RAM management is designed so you don't need to close out everything in your app switcher.

Zigourney

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
United Kingdom
ye I tried it once back in the day, I purchased a galaxy S6 and used it for 2 weeks, returned it and went back to my iphone. Never again. Andriod is just too messy for my likings. Too many settings, things are just buried too deep in a multi layered menu structure. You get random crashes and battery life wasn't great.

Never again. IOS till I die now.

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
Got the X, returned it. Tried out the Note 8, returned it.

I'm currently using a OnePlus 5T and as much as I love the phone and don't want to go back to my 2 year old 6S Plus... I'm having a major issue with notifications not coming through. I only use a handful of apps, and a lot of them aren't getting important notifications that I need to be on time. I had this problem with the Note 8 I returned also. It seems like Android now puts your apps into such a deep sleep mode that they no longer function. I think a core app, like gmail, should be able to get an email on time.

Hmm weird issue, I'm sure you've checked all the notification settings etc, via the app and via the system. I have a 5T myself and it is an amazing bang for the buck, but am still finding myself missing the messaging/familiarity of my X. I am in no way a power smartphone user and just text/call/mail/take pics/watch some vids kinda guy. The jury is still out, in terms of screen size, battery, weight, the 5T trounces the X. The screens are very comparable but the X clearly has more detail with the 5T being 1080p, of course, that helps the battery life and when you don't have them side-by-side you don't notice much difference. Good luck on your issue with yours.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Own a Galaxy S8 and a iPhone X always come back to Apple. Its just a better experience.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Still really enjoy the S8 after 2 weeks and ordered a Pixel 2 XL a bit ago because it's $75 off. My S8 on Verizon got the November security update 11 days ago.

Holiday season phone pricing is great so now is a good time for me to dig in with Android / get my fix. Paid $1375 total for the S8 and Pixel 2 XL. For $375 more than the X I get two awesome phones to play with.

Android Auto blows away Car Play for me. I had a dinner reservation and right when AA started it picked up on that and popped up Google maps to get me there. Never happened on my iPhone because I couldn't use Google maps with Car Play. The fact that AA also supports Waze is gravy.

I do miss the speed and accuracy of Face ID and Apple Pay on the X. The S8 makes up for it by taking me directly to the home screen when using face unlock. Other than that, I find modern day Android to be far more functional - for me - than iOS. Regarding app closing, there is no double tap necessary on the S8. I press the lower left soft button to bring up all windows and can simply close whatever app I want to close, or close all at once. Much quicker than the X implementation.

Usually a month into Android I'll buy an iPhone again or use an old one alongside it. Then ultimately sell the Android after that. This time I bought a Pixel 2 XL...

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Well, I like how seamless it is to simply stream video/audio from my Mac or iPhone to my Apple TV, continue working on a document or E-mail on my Mac I was working at on my iPhone, take calls on my Mac etc. To me, it does matter. Every time I switch to my Windows environment and/or Android, I instantly miss that. :p
Most of this you can do using Android and google though. Not that I have used it personally so I am not entirely sure.

Chrome cast - you can stream videos, audio, your phone screen to your TV. Use Google Chrome on windows desktop to do the same.

Continue working on a document use Google docs and gmail for emails. Or use office on Android with onedrive and pick up where you left off on windows desktop.

Hangouts can be used for text messages to reply on desktop with gmail signed in or gmail app on windows. Phone calls I'm not sure.

Point is, it seems you wanted Apple products and software to integrate with Android. It doesn't work that way. Just like how Apple doesn't integrate with Google software and hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.