Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I’ve heard Samsung has gotten A LOT better with their ‘skin’. But at the same time I’ve heard it’s great for about 6 months then it’s starts lagging and stuttering.

My S8 didn't slow down at all - it was fast and fluid the whole time: The only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted a Note8

I'm sure it's possible to find people who have had problems (as with any device / platform), but a lot of the "issues" are hyperbole IMO (again, as with any platform!)

iphonenewuser

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
I use both, an ip5 for call/sms and things involve serious secure such as banking, an Android phone for the rest: web browser, social networks, mail, apps, photo, camera, media...
iPhone calling quality is very good but its close makes me annoying. E.g. The Phone app in Android is far better than in iOS. So I never upgrade my iPhone, only my Android. I have to use what Apple gives me, but I can change to any Android phone I think it gives me better experiences. It is open and vary and cheap for switching.

Of course I always buy iPhone for my wife. I think iPhone is best phone for her particularly and for women generally. No way she has to use an Android.

Last edited:

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
I used to use both iPhone and Android phones and liked to swap every once in a while but haven’t had an android since I got the iPhone 6 Plus on launch day.

I have a launch 7 Plus and don’t plan on getting the X or next years either.

Only thing keeping me on iPhone right now are my AirPods (greatest purchase ever) based on how well they function on Apple devices and not sure what (if any) features carry over. If my 7+ dies I’ll go iPhone SE (or SE2?) but if my AirPods die and if no AirPods version 2 yet (idk if I can justify getting first gen a second time) then I’ll probably go back to Android phones.

I’ll keep my MacBook Pro until it dies then I’ll get an iPad Pro.

bcbickers

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Katy, TX
I was a dyed-in-the-wool Android fan and user for a long time, mainly Samsung Galaxy devices. I loved being able to make my device my device, instead of being like everyone else's. I host my domain with Google, so the services integration was fantastic, Google's data mining practices notwithstanding.

Then Handoff/Continuity came out in iOS 8. I tried an iPhone 5s and was blown away at how well it integrated with my MacBook Pro and made my life soooo much easier, both at home and at work. Now I wasn't tethered to my phone as much. I could read/reply/manage my text messages right from my laptop, could make and receive calls on the 'puter, switch to the phone if I needed to head somewhere, and all of the Google Services worked as well on the iPhone as they did on the Androids. Not too mention how well it integrates with my Apple TVs. Apple Pay and TouchID have just made a good experience better.

I'll just say this now...the iOS UI sucks. I can change the wallpaper and the ringtones. That's it. No desktop widgets, so I have to unlock my phone and open an app to get at any data. The calendar integration with my Office365 work account is horrible, so I have to use Outlook on my MacBook to manage my calendar. Despite these shortcomings, the quality of integration between my all of my Apple devices far outweighs the drawbacks. And now the Apple Watch Series 3 is out, so I would be even less dependent on my actual phone device. This is a HUGE benefit when I am pretty much doing anything outside (running, working on the car, yard work, etc.).

TL;DR - The iPhone integrates so well with the other Apple products I already own (MacBook, Apple TVs) and am currently shopping (Apple Watch and HomeKit home automation devices) that I can't move back to the "just a phone" model, even though I prefer the Android UI.

Reactions: nburwell

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
Back in the day I was an iPhone user, and then I started using Android devices. Given the lack of privacy and security on Android, I decided to try the iPhone again during the 6S timeframe. Yeah, it is less configurable, but the stuff just works, and works well. I found it much more useful and productive than Android ever was. A couple of my primary apps are miles ahead on the iPhone also. Now, if only I could get iOS on Samsung hardware!!!

Reactions: tonybarnaby

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
If it wasn’t for no iMessage or a similar messaging the Pixel 2 IMO is the iPhone killer. I seriously like vanilla Android better than iOS.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
My phone will have an apple logo on it until android text messaging gets better. iMessage >>>>>>> Android texting.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
My phone will have an apple logo on it until android text messaging gets better. iMessage >>>>>>> Android texting.

Yep that’s what I posted. Is it that Google doesn’t care about messaging or they can’t just create one similar to iMessage?

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
Yep that’s what I posted. Is it that Google doesn’t care about messaging or they can’t just create one similar to iMessage?

I think it's just a compatibility thing? There's a ton of people on various versions of Android OS and even more different types of hardware being used in Android phones that they have to stick to simple SMS/MMS.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
I had the LG G4 for 8 months, I loved the size and didn't have many complaints other than the music player was ugly and it was just to much work to put music onto the device! I've had my se for almost a year now and am so happy to be back to iOS!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If it wasn’t for no iMessage or a similar messaging the Pixel 2 IMO is the iPhone killer. I seriously like vanilla Android better than iOS.
Too bad it doesn't come with any competition in terms of a smart watch or tablet level quality.

Pure android is very good though.

Imessage and how everything works perfectly is why it's impossible for me to go to android as my daily driver
[doublepost=1513306864][/doublepost]
It's just next to impossible to get it to work with multiple devices. Thats why imessage is so great for many people

Reactions: timeconsumer

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I’ve tried Android and even went back “forcefully” when my iPhone 6 dropped in water and was done (I was not going to by a 7 when the X was just a month but turned out to be 2 months away). I’m definitely in the iOS camp. Although Android is fun to tinker around with, I don’t prefer it to be my daily driver.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
i had OG pixel XL for 10months...
love it.. except the simple Bluetooth that is so buggy...
im a Bluetooth dependent.. i always used BT headset when im on a call and listening to music..

my hubby gave me an iphone X .. Bluetooth is perfect .. bought airpods and tried the apple watch s3...
i love it... i think im locked with apple for now...

yes its boring at times... i still have my OG pixel XL as my 2nd phone...
i still play games with the pixel coz i cant move my mobile legends to iphone...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have both. A 6s plus and S8. I go back and forth. They both have their plus and minuses. Lately I’ve been using
my S8.

My 6S Plus has to be one of my favorite iPhones with in the last four years. It was a solid build, I really like the bluer/brighter display, compared to when Apple started to migrate to warmer displays starting with the iPhone 7.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes but the last two times I tried it I kept my current iPhone because deep down I know I’ll be back. I don’t even make a proper attempt to get on board with android because although I get the android handset I keep the iPhone as my daily driver and don’t even put my main sim in the android phone.

I am hopeless lol I’ve just sold my note 8. I’ve pulled the trigger on the iPhone X after all this humming and haring. It will arrive on Monday. I will be miserable if I don’t get it lol

It’s my Christmas present to myself.

jimbritttn

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
I feel like I’ll get bored on iPhone/ iOS and try a Motorola or like last time a new Nokia phone. Eventually it wears off and I end up coming back to an iPhone. I don’t hate Android like some but there’s something about how smooth iOS is, iCloud synchronization, lighting versus (micro usb (most handsets), build quality on some and so on. Anyone have a specific reason they always pick iPhone over an Android phone? Hoping I’m not crazy lol.

Ryan

I don't care for the iPhone because they are always playing catchup!

My old Galaxy S5 shot 4K video YEARS before the iPhone.
Apple still doesn't offer fast wireless charging; you can buy an adapter for $6 that allows wireless charging on the S5!

I love having an extra 256GB of microSD storage for $75; this much storage in the iPhone would cost $300. When I switch phones I simple move the card; all my photos and videos are moved within second!

I own the Galaxy S8 and wouldn't trade it for the iPhone if you paid me $500 to boot!

This phone is better than the Galaxy S8 or iPhone X and is only $280!
https://www.tomtop.com/p-ps0030b-eu.html?_ga=2.238785095.617351134.1513330558-437217678.1513330558
[doublepost=1513331604][/doublepost]
Yes but the last two times I tried it I kept my current iPhone because deep down I know I’ll be back. I don’t even make a proper attempt to get on board with android because although I get the android handset I keep the iPhone as my daily driver and don’t even put my main sim in the android phone.

I am hopeless lol I’ve just sold my note 8. I’ve pulled the trigger on the iPhone X after all this humming and haring. It will arrive on Monday. I will be miserable if I don’t get it lol

It’s my Christmas present to myself.
I don't care for the iPhone because they are always playing catchup!

My old Galaxy S5 shot 4K video YEARS before the iPhone.
Apple still doesn't offer fast wireless charging; you can buy an adapter for $6 that allows wireless charging on the S5!

I love having an extra 256GB of microSD storage for $75; this much storage in the iPhone would cost $300. When I switch phones I simple move the card; all my photos and videos are moved within second!

I own the Galaxy S8 and wouldn't trade it for the iPhone if you paid me $500 to boot!

This phone is better than the Galaxy S8 or iPhone X and is only $280!
https://www.tomtop.com/p-ps0030b-eu.html?_ga=2.238785095.617351134.1513330558-437217678.1513330558

Reactions: iSilas and 2ndtry

kiddnetu

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
My first iOS device was iPhone 4S and used it for 3 years. Then Got a Galaxy S7 last year as 4S doesn't 4G from my wireless provider. Now, come back to iPhone 8. Might be purchase Android as a backup phone in future.

sparky08

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Left iOS 3 or 4 years ago. Just got bored with the screen looking like everyone else's.

I'll be back when Apple does something that makes me say "wow". Apple is playing catch up at the moment.

Reactions: iSilas and 2ndtry

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Left iOS 3 or 4 years ago. Just got bored with the screen looking like everyone else's.

I'll be back when Apple does something that makes me say "wow". Apple is playing catch up at the moment.

Yea I’m ready to pull the trigger on the Pixel 2 non XL. A co worker has one and let’s me play around with it. Very polished OS.

I don’t need compatibility between hardware. However I’m afraid I’ll miss iMessage as all of my family have iPhones. I like the simple stuff that iMessage offers. Good when you have kids and know that your message was received and delivered. Also know when they’re responding with the bubbles.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have always admired Android from afar, but just can't get over the feel of the OS (too robotic) and the privacy/security/support/updates concerns. If for some reason they end up cleaning up these issues, I would take a look, but Apple would need to be failing me to consider actually switching.
I didn’t get a single security update in the entire 3 months I had the note 8, despite the fact that they are supposed to be monthly.

Reactions: DNichter

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
I had used Android for 3 years before switching to my 1st ever iPhone which was the 6S plus. I’m committed to Apple for now I don’t even look at Android any more.

Reactions: FFR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.