Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I have tried Android and always go back to an iPhone. This has been occurring for approximately 3 years now. With the Nexus 6p, then the Pixel 1 and now the Pixel 2. I like Android a lot. I feel like the notifications are much better than on iOS. However, I can't get over how invasive Google feels to me. Some find this helpful or convenient, I feel it is creepy. This is what always seems to bring me back to an iPhone... I'm not saying Apple doesn't do this, I just don't feel this way when using an iPhone.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have tried Android and always go back to an iPhone. This has been occurring for approximately 3 years now. With the Nexus 6p, then the Pixel 1 and now the Pixel 2. I like Android a lot. I feel like the notifications are much better than on iOS. However, I can't get over how invasive Google feels to me. Some find this helpful or convenient, I feel it is creepy. This is what always seems to bring me back to an iPhone... I'm not saying Apple doesn't do this, I just don't feel this way when using an iPhone.
I think I’ve learnt my lesson this time. I’m pm a yearly upgrade programme with my carrier so I’ll jsut continue with that and get a new iPhone every year.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I think I’ve learnt my lesson this time. I’m pm a yearly upgrade programme with my carrier so I’ll jsut continue with that and get a new iPhone every year.
I think that's where I'm at as well. I am planning on keeping my Pixel 2 so when I feel the need to try out Android I can set it up and use it for a little bit but keep an iPhone as my daily driver.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Left iOS 3 or 4 years ago. Just got bored with the screen looking like everyone else's.

I'll be back when Apple does something that makes me say "wow". Apple is playing catch up at the moment.

I don't think Apple is playing catch-up, because they've always been slow to release certain features or hardware. I think it's just you're finding out there are those who are not patient or don't care to wait around when other competitors are releasing features that are enticing them over Apple. But for me, that's not enough for me to want to Abandon Apple because of what another smart phone competitor does.

sparky08

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
I don't think Apple is playing catch-up, because they've always been slow to release certain features or hardware.

I think eliminating the home button on the X was a collossal mistake. Instead of figuring out how to create a virtual home button with a long/hard press on the screen, they abandoned it for sake of getting something to market. Now, users are left with this face recognition/gesture mess.

It couldn't have been that hard. The S8 presents the home screen with a long/harder press on the lower part of the screen.

Reactions: iSilas and brgjoe

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think eliminating the home button on the X was a collossal mistake. Instead of figuring out how to create a virtual home button with a long/hard press on the screen, they abandoned it for sake of getting something to market. Now, users are left with this face recognition/gesture mess.

It couldn't have been that hard. The S8 presents the home screen with a long/harder press on the lower part of the screen.
They obviously didn’t want a home button. It wouldn’t have been difficult to put in a virtual home button. Android OEM’s have been doing it for years. They could have just copied. Also they already have 3D Touch in their screens so having a pressure sensitive home button wouldn’t have been much of a stretch for them.

sparky08

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Reactions: iSilas and brgjoe

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

Have you used it? The gestures work great and are my favorite part of the X. Very fluid and natural.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
My iPhone 4 got stolen in 2012 so I tried out the Samsung Galaxy s3 when it came out. I decided it was something new, looks great, big screen, etc. The first couple of weeks of having it was awesome, but sure enough the phone started to run into problems. I never rooted it or downloaded shady apps/software. Sent it to the factory twice, one time it just literally died in what they called a "software kill".

I got a refurbished one and that was no better. That is when I ordered the new iPhone 6+ and when I got it it was a breath of fresh air. Never had problems until now with the worn battery (its about %50 health now, which I guess is normal for my usage). Oops, one other problem was the camera was shaky and blurry a few months ago, took it to an apple store and they replaced the camera FOR FREE w/ no apple care.

I did too much research comparing the Samsung Galaxy s8 to the iPhone X. I went into a lot of stores to compare the two, watched youtube videos, and checked out reddit. I was very close to trying the s8 and believe that they probably have sorted out the issues from the s3 long ago.

However in the end, I use a MacBook, my family has iPhones so FaceTime and airdrop is nice, and the build quality is great. I need something that just works and apple to me has proven that. For now I will enjoy the X until I am ready to upgrade or jump ship to android.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

That article you cited is over two years ago and came from Digitimes, which has a sketchy as it is. Craig Federighi stated on the other hand, touch ID was always Plan B under the display, they did experiment with it, but initially abandoned it when Face ID became the reality. I'm inclined to believe what he said, any idea that touch ID under the display was a failure was nonsense according to him.

And before you quote me and say of course Federighi would say that or he's lying, I don't have reason to believe that Apple would even have to comment on Face ID or touch ID what happens behind the scenes with the research and development.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

graffixnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
ÜT: 40.757618,-73.790043
I am the opposite. I have been a die-hard Android user for years. I use to be very anti-iPhone. I do still own two Android devices (Essential PH-1 and Pixel 2) and I still do love Android and am still an Android developer more than an iOS developer but I can't believe how much I love my iPhone X. There are just some things that I absolutely love. Like the seamless integration with my Macbook Pro for texts, calls etc.. I have tried playing with iPhones in the past, but they never did it for me. The plus was too big, the normal iPhone was too small and Android always had better screen to body ratios. I also would get bored of iOS quickly. But now I love it, everything just works and works well. My X has been my daily driver since I got it and I do not see that changing anytime soon

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
I used to have an iPhone for about seven years now, but eventually got bored to death by iOS and its complete lack of customisation. Also, the notification system used to drive me crazy. Switched back and forth a couple of times already but never really made the switch.

I'm now using an LG G6 for about three weeks, but I'm already contemplating returning it and getting an iPhone 8 or X instead. I absolutely LOVE Android and especially the G6, but it just completely lacks the refinement of Apple's ecosystem with hard- and software that just works without ifs and buts. If I get something for my iPhone, it works. Period. With Android, not so much. The DragonFly Red is a great example for that...

Yuck. What a dilemma. :rolleyes:

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My iPhone 4 got stolen in 2012 so I tried out the Samsung Galaxy s3 when it came out. I decided it was something new, looks great, big screen, etc. The first couple of weeks of having it was awesome, but sure enough the phone started to run into problems. I never rooted it or downloaded shady apps/software. Sent it to the factory twice, one time it just literally died in what they called a "software kill".

I got a refurbished one and that was no better. That is when I ordered the new iPhone 6+ and when I got it it was a breath of fresh air. Never had problems until now with the worn battery (its about %50 health now, which I guess is normal for my usage). Oops, one other problem was the camera was shaky and blurry a few months ago, took it to an apple store and they replaced the camera FOR FREE w/ no apple care.

I did too much research comparing the Samsung Galaxy s8 to the iPhone X. I went into a lot of stores to compare the two, watched youtube videos, and checked out reddit. I was very close to trying the s8 and believe that they probably have sorted out the issues from the s3 long ago.

However in the end, I use a MacBook, my family has iPhones so FaceTime and airdrop is nice, and the build quality is great. I need something that just works and apple to me has proven that. For now I will enjoy the X until I am ready to upgrade or jump ship to android.
That’s similar to my iOS to android and back again story. My iPhone 4 was stolen in 2012 and I decided to try the original galaxy note. I stayed with android until the 6 plus came out in 2014 having various flagship Samsung phones in that time. I’ve had a few Samsung phones since then but only to try out as secondary phones because I’ve been using an iPhone as my daily driver since 2014. The Samsung phones only last a few months before I sell them on.
[doublepost=1513502351][/doublepost]
No more like they finally got the tech they wanted for face ID and decided against fingerprint under the screen.
The poster seems to be mixing up integrating Touch ID into the display with simply having a virtual home button like Samsung have. Samsung have not been bake to integaraye a fingerprint scanner under the display yet.

Having a virtual home button isn’t hard so Apple have clearly chosen not to do it.

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
played around with a oneplus 5T for a bit, what always disappoints me about droid is the messaging. Some love it, but I find it clunky after being on iOS. I think it will always keep me on Apple as I use it so much.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I find Android is a better all-around OS than iOS, but the hardware compromises from most worthwhile Android devices are almost always dealbreaker.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Great thread btw.

I've been an iOS user since the 3GS days, and tried Android devices every so often in the form of the Nexus 7 tablet, and the Nexus 6P. I just sorta get bored with iOS every so often. Either way, I hated the Nexus 7, but the 6P was really good aside from the extremely slow camera, which is why I returned. I've always found Android to be decent, just that the hardware has lacked sometimes in quality, and the tons of options in the OS can get overwhelming.

As I say, I tend to pick up an Android device every so often, and this is one of those times where I'm feeling the urge to try it again. I know I probably shouldn't, but I'm thinking of getting one as a secondary/tinkering phone, as my main phone is an 8 Plus. Sorta wanting an S8, but it lacks some hardware I'd like, such as stereo speakers, and I'd probably prefer stock android vs Samsung's skin even tho a different launcher can be used. Think a pixel 2 would be perfect but don't want to pay that much for a secondary phone. Ahhh the temptations...

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I switched back and forth between Android/iOS. As great as Android is, I cannot use it. Pure Android is too bland. The Motorolas and OnePluses do not offer complete enough packages either. The compromise would be lower quality screens or mediocre cameras.

LG's software UI is pretty ugly. Sony doesn't support biometrics. HTC is another bland software experience. Samsung has all the bells and whistles, but they do not have clean software nor support things in a timely fashion. Since the MacBook was a huge investment, I feel it's better to just iOS. iOS has features, tremendous software support, and readily accessible Apple Stores in my area.

I would use the Note 8 right now if it was weren't for software glitches, bad battery life, and Samsung. If you put the Note 8 hardware with Samsung's bells/whistles and with HTC's software support, I would use that phone for as long as possible. But the iPhone X is a Galaxy like phone with iOS, which is good enough for me.

GreenPea

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I feel like I’ll get bored on iPhone/ iOS and try a Motorola or like last time a new Nokia phone. Eventually it wears off and I end up coming back to an iPhone. I don’t hate Android like some but there’s something about how smooth iOS is, iCloud synchronization, lighting versus (micro usb (most handsets), build quality on some and so on. Anyone have a specific reason they always pick iPhone over an Android phone? Hoping I’m not crazy lol.

Ryan
No, you are not crazy. I sold my Iphone 7 last week and have been using the Pixel 2 for the last 2 weeks. I tried the Samsung S8 for a week but like Android on the Pixel 2. I know it sounds weird but I like Android on the Pixel 2. HOWEVER, every time I pick up my brother's Iphone7, and miss the simplicity of the Iphone and IOS. So I'm going to get the Iphone 8 AND keep the pixel 2.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Got the X, returned it. Tried out the Note 8, returned it.

I'm currently using a OnePlus 5T and as much as I love the phone and don't want to go back to my 2 year old 6S Plus... I'm having a major issue with notifications not coming through. I only use a handful of apps, and a lot of them aren't getting important notifications that I need to be on time. I had this problem with the Note 8 I returned also. It seems like Android now puts your apps into such a deep sleep mode that they no longer function. I think a core app, like gmail, should be able to get an email on time.

DantesFire

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I have a large screen android phone that I use sometimes instead of my iphone SE. They're both great. I like the iphone more when traveling and taking photos, the android when at home and just watching videos or whatever.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don’t “back out” but I do switch back and forth for my own amusement at least once a year.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
My 5 cents. I've had entry level Android phones at the beginning, likes of Samsung Galaxy Ace II (slowest phone I've ever seen), HTC One S (most beautiful OLED screen to this day), Sony Xperia SP (a joke of a phone) and an Alcatel Idol Pop 3 which was the best would you believe. I bought a 5s after that and my link to Android comes back when I see the price of the iPhone I would like to have: a 7 or an 8. So now that my 2 years plan has come to an end, I have a dilemma. Go cheap with some Android like Moto G5 or indulge myself. I thought of a middle-of-the-road solution: get a 6s. My best friend who is an Android-Google devotee gave me his old Moto G LTE 1st gen. It's on Lollipop. This is the first Android phone I use that is not run by Kit-Kat or Jellybean. My mind always come back to how the things are done on my 5s iOS 10.3. What bugs me the most is that I had to bring back Google Keep to my iPad and my iMac in order to have some note sharing. And MySms app to do sms from my iMac and iPad. And install a stupid little utility app to bridge Calendar to whatever agenda is on the Moto G. But it works. I'm in my sixties, I don't do Facebook, Instagram and the likes. Actually, I'm as much fed up with entry level Android phones than I am with an old 5s working like a charm but that is stuck on a 4 inch screen and 16 gig. Well friends, is that "The Android call" ? Anyway, the Moto G works perfectly and I know now that I will install Google Maps on my next iPhone. That's about it for Lollipop. Decisions. Decisions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.