Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Both platforms are so much alike and do the same basic tasks like texting, email, YouTube, and browsing, I don't really need to keep going back and forth.

Apple is becoming like Google, more of a service company. Hence, why they bought Shazam and have Apple Music and iCloud. Google is becoming strict and more into selling hardware like Apple. Hence, Pixel products.

It's like choosing between fast food joints. Same junk food with little differentiating.

I agree. I stick to iOS on tablets because the hardware is just better but on phones I go with Android because I feel it works better as a phone OS. Not to mention the hardware isn't as expensive. I have a Oneplus 3 at the moment and if you made the bezels and physical size on it bigger you would essentially have an iPhone 6/7/8 Plus.

Reactions: janitor3

Earth45

Suspended
Nov 29, 2017
The hardware is tempting. That's what it is for me at least. If only they could make the software live up to and perform on the phones being sold these days.

Android 8.0 Oreo, being released, and as I read it, is even better than ever before, and will give a boost to android users. Looking forward to what the S9 will look like early next year and the Oreo OS.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Until Android gets the Activity app that will maintain all of my current data I’m 100% iOS. I’ll admire the hardware from a distance though.

Reactions: maka344

magamen

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2017
In the firedamp
I feel like I’ll get bored on iPhone/ iOS and try a Motorola or like last time a new Nokia phone. Eventually it wears off and I end up coming back to an iPhone. I don’t hate Android like some but there’s something about how smooth iOS is, iCloud synchronization, lighting versus (micro usb (most handsets), build quality on some and so on. Anyone have a specific reason they always pick iPhone over an Android phone? Hoping I’m not crazy lol.

Ryan

Ignore the FOMO and realize your iphone is KING.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I have always admired Android from afar, but just can't get over the feel of the OS (too robotic) and the privacy/security/support/updates concerns. If for some reason they end up cleaning up these issues, I would take a look, but Apple would need to be failing me to consider actually switching.

GazNicki2582

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
I run both. My work phone is a Note3 and it is still a beast of a phone.

My personal phone is currently a 6S, but I am tempted at renewal to move to the Note8 instead.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I have always admired Android from afar, but just can't get over the feel of the OS (too robotic) and the privacy/security/support/updates concerns. If for some reason they end up cleaning up these issues, I would take a look, but Apple would need to be failing me to consider actually switching.
Privacy issues is more for the conspiracy nuts tbh

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Privacy issues is more for the conspiracy nuts tbh

Not exactly. I don't have anything I particularly care to hide, but I do have an issue with a company that's main purpose is data mining and advertising. That is the only thing that Google ultimately cares about and I would prefer not to opt in to that.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Not exactly. I don't have anything I particularly care to hide, but I do have an issue with a company that's main purpose is data mining and advertising. That is the only thing that Google ultimately cares about and I would prefer not to opt in to that.
As I said conspiracy theorists. I have nothing to hide and they can mine away. Apple can be just as bad as well.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
As I said conspiracy theorists. I have nothing to hide and they can mine away. Apple can be just as bad as well.

Ah yes, it's all a conspiracy. As I said, I have nothing to hide either, but I would rather not spend my money with a company that's only focus is to take your data and sell it to advertisers. That is the reason they exist. 90% of their entire income comes from advertising. It's not a conspiracy at all.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Ah yes, it's all a conspiracy. As I said, I have nothing to hide either, but I would rather not spend my money with a company that's only focus is to take your data and sell it to advertisers. That is the reason they exist. 90% of their entire income comes from advertising. It's not a conspiracy at all.
It is a conspiracy... The whole privacy thing isn't an issue. You're talking about them selling your non identify info. Who cares.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I feel like I’ll get bored on iPhone/ iOS and try a Motorola or like last time a new Nokia phone. Eventually it wears off and I end up coming back to an iPhone. I don’t hate Android like some but there’s something about how smooth iOS is, iCloud synchronization, lighting versus (micro usb (most handsets), build quality on some and so on. Anyone have a specific reason they always pick iPhone over an Android phone? Hoping I’m not crazy lol.

To be honest, if I'm totally away from work and don't have to worry about staying connected to the other Apple devices, I'll just as soon pick up the LG V30 and leave the iPhone X at home.

The problem is that most days I need to do things related to other people, so the iPhone wins.

If it's just watching or creating media and making personal phone calls, the V30 wins.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It is a conspiracy... The whole privacy thing isn't an issue. You're talking about them selling your non identify info. Who cares.

I guess the millions of people that prefer iOS. You may not care that everything Google does is to sell your info to advertisers, but I do. Doesn't make it a conspiracy. I'd just rather give my money to a company that doesn't.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I guess the millions of people that prefer iOS. You may not care that everything Google does is to sell your info to advertisers, but I do. Doesn't make it a conspiracy. I'd just rather give my money to a company that doesn't.
I have an iPad... Not going to buy an iPhone because Google wants to sell my. Non identifying info for $. Android is so customizable you don't need to use Google products other then the Google play store.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I have an iPad... Not going to buy an iPhone because Google wants to sell my. Non identifying info for $. Android is so customizable you don't need to use Google products other then the Google play store.

That's good. It's just a preference, but for some people, privacy from advertisers is something they care about. It was only one of the things that would prevent me from switching to Android.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Meh. I already sold my soul to Google long ago when I created my email account. Fast forward some years and now my business is linked to Google maps, ad words, optimizing, etc. It's too late for me, save yourselves! /s.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
That's good. It's just a preference, but for some people, privacy from advertisers is something they care about. It was only one of the things that would prevent me from switching to Android.
Because Apple is a knight in shiny armor?

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
One of the few reasons why I prefer iOS is device support/timely updates. When a software update is rolled out, I know that I will get it at the same time as every other supported device that runs iOS. With Android, this is never the case, unless you get a Pixel. With other Android phones, you're at the mercy of OEMs and carriers, when it comes to updates. I also prefer my phones to be free of bloatware. There are many other reasons as well, most of which have already been listed in this thread by other forum members. For my personal use case, iOS works better. The same may not be for others' use cases.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and NoDoz

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Because Apple is a knight in shiny armor?

Of course not, Apple isn't perfect. It just comes down to what you prefer from your devices and where you decide to spend your money. For some - privacy, security, apps, ecosystem, and support make a difference. For some, they just want customization, weather widgets, and app launchers. It's nice we have a choice.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
Here's a good illustration of Android's biggest issue.

Attachments

• Android-Distribution-December-2017_0.jpg
    Android-Distribution-December-2017_0.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 128

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I've done it several times and I moved back to Android on an S8 in March.

However, the difference this time is I don't see myself moving back to iOS on my phone unless it changes drastically (my tablets are a completely different matter as there's nothing to touch the iPad Pro at the moment) - Android has come on leaps and bounds since the last time I used it (Android 5) and it just seems to suit me better than iOS at the moment

A new iPhone launch would normally see me coming back to iOS but this year it led to me getting a Note 8...

I’ve heard Samsung has gotten A LOT better with their ‘skin’. But at the same time I’ve heard it’s great for about 6 months then it’s starts lagging and stuttering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.