Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Hello everyone,

is anyone here with this case (or any case from this brand?)

I'm looking for the most minimalist case that would also cover the edges to protect it. I don't like bulky cases so the only one I've found is this one. I wonder though, what is the quality and how does it fit?

Anyone around here who tried these, please?

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
I use ESR Eebound clear case for my 11 inch 2020 Pro. ESR is a good brand.

For 2021 Pro, you can take a look at ESR Project Zero Slim case. Provides basic protection for the iPad

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I'm looking for the most minimalist case that would also cover the edges to protect it. I don't like bulky cases so the only one I've found is this one. I wonder though, what is the quality and how does it fit?

I have the version of this case for the iPad 7 and iPad Air 4 and they’re pretty good. Fit is good and the button covers are clicky.

I’ve actually been on the lookout for this case to be available on Amazon. Their PayPal payment link isn’t working for me and I’m trying to limit the websites that have my credit card info so not comfortable buying direct.

Reactions: Freida

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hello everyone,

I have tried one before. The build quality was lackluster compared to the advertisements.

GadgetComa

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I really want the Zugu case but the 2021-compatible version isn’t out yet. To have some protection until I can get the Zugu, I bought an ESR case for $12.99 from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/ESR-Tabl...etic-Trifold-Shockproof-Auto-Wakeup/349286864).

it’s pretty nice for the price. It fits well, all the buttons and cutouts align nicely, and the cover folds securely with the help of magnets. The two things I‘m not crazy about are 1) it only has two positions using the cover as a stand, just like Apple’s Smart Cover, and 2) it leaves most of one side of the iPad exposed to allow attaching the Apple Pencil. That’s why I like the Zulu - 10 positions for the stand and full coverage of the iPad while still allowing the Pencil to attach and charge.

Still, if the ESR has the features you like, I think the quality is there.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I really want the Zugu case but the 2021-compatible version isn’t out yet. To have some protection until I can get the Zugu, I bought an ESR case for $12.99 from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/ESR-Tabl...etic-Trifold-Shockproof-Auto-Wakeup/349286864).

it’s pretty nice for the price. It fits well, all the buttons and cutouts align nicely, and the cover folds securely with the help of magnets. The two things I‘m not crazy about are 1) it only has two positions using the cover as a stand, just like Apple’s Smart Cover, and 2) it leaves most of one side of the iPad exposed to allow attaching the Apple Pencil. That’s why I like the Zulu - 10 positions for the stand and full coverage of the iPad while still allowing the Pencil to attach and charge.

Note, the ESR Rebound case does cover the Pencil side. That side's just thinner compared to the other edges.

P.S.
I use a Pencil/Crayon clone that I store in my shirt pocket so I don't actually know how securely the magnets work between AP2 and iPad through the thin TPU layer.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
I don't like this one, too complex and doesn't cover as you say.

I want "Apple" style clean look that covers it all. Just like the Smart Case I have on my Air 2 which Apple charged insane money but it "almost" survived it till today (6 years) :)

I think I will try the one I posted. I guess if it was super terrible you guys would say it so if its just ok then I guess I'll try it until I find something better. And if I don't then this will be amazing value. After all, even the Apple one got ruined after such a long time so its better to ruin $30 than $120 :)

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I have the ESR Rebound magnetic, works great for me when I am not using the Magic Keyboard.
iPad snaps right onto it, fit is good and it is very thin, exactly what I was looking for.
By any chance is the one you have this one?

I just ordered this one. Won’t be here until Sunday. I miss when Amazon prime was actually 2 day shipping.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Keep us posted, please ;)

I just ordered this one. Won’t be here until Sunday. I miss when Amazon prime was actually 2 day shipping.

Reactions: Bea220

nicetriangles

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2021
Seattle / Amsterdam

After watching this comparison video between the nice ESR case and the Zugu, I decided the Zugu was worth waiting for so I bought a cheapo $20 case on Amazon to tide me over until the Zugu comes out.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina

After watching this comparison video between the nice ESR case and the Zugu, I decided the Zugu was worth waiting for so I bought a cheapo $20 case on Amazon to tide me over until the Zugu comes out.
I’m not a fan of the way those fold. I prefer the simple tri-fold design.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Nothing like the apple folio. I’ve had them, cheap and nasty, heavy too, the folio is way better and nicer to use.
This is the one I ordered. Looks like the folio to me. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow. The thing I did not like about Apple’s version was how it showed every smudge.

Last edited:
Reactions: thadoggfather

Chazani

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
I also ordered a blue one of theirs on amazon. The only issue i have is that the cover is not really strong enough to keep my ipad up for viewing purposes. Thats when I use the other iPad stand on the table, or my left leg propped up to hold the iPad up. As for the pencil flap, definately handy for me to keep my pencil in place.

Attachments

• D5D4CEDA-9A9A-4583-9306-F7C21047FB4B.jpeg
    D5D4CEDA-9A9A-4583-9306-F7C21047FB4B.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 167

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I hate it that there are so many different cases available for iPP 12.9 2021 with covers and pensil holders/sills, just making whole case unnecessarily big and bulky and ugly looking.

The same ESR cases are crap this year, 2020 iPads didnt have that ugly pencil holder molded shape, 2021 has it, meh.

Ordered two different cases off Aliexpress instead, heres hope that when my 12.9 gets delivered and I pick it up, it will survive without a scratch until the cases arrive on the long boat from China.

Fingers crossed.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
EXACTLY!!!! I'm totally with you on this one. I love minimalist design and see no reason to have these bloody annoying bulky pencil holders. Its actually very hard to find minimalist designs that would be like a full case (like the Smart Case used to be) and not like the crappy covers even Apple does nowadays.

I'm actually thinking to design one myself and start selling it as this is ridiculous.

I hate it that there are so many different cases available for iPP 12.9 2021 with covers and pensil holders/sills, just making whole case unnecessarily big and bulky and ugly looking.

The same ESR cases are crap this year, 2020 iPads didnt have that ugly pencil holder molded shape, 2021 has it, meh.

Ordered two different cases off Aliexpress instead, heres hope that when my 12.9 gets delivered and I pick it up, it will survive without a scratch until the cases arrive on the long boat from China.

Fingers crossed.

GadgetComa

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011

That's not the same one I have. The one you ordered appears to have the back part of the case include a place for the pencil. Boy, ESR has a lot of different cases!

Reactions: Bea220
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.