Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
That's not the same one I have. The one you ordered appears to have the back part of the case include a place for the pencil. Boy, ESR has a lot of different cases!
Yeah I went with the case that would protect the sides of the iPad and keep the pencil in place. I have already almost lost it!!

Also, speaking of ESR. God Bless their screen protectors. I seriously dropped my phone 2 feet and it smashed the corner of my screen. I forgot to document it because I was too concerned with the shape of the phone UNDERNEATH the screen protector and luckily, my iPhone 12 pro screen survived.

I had switched back from an alliexpress case to the clear Apple Mag Safe Case about 2 weeks ago and began to drop the phone more constantly. I have since then taken it out of that case but SHEESH! That’s ridiculous. $50 case being the reason for contstant drops!

So now I’m back on the fence and 2 seconds away from purchasing a screen protector for the iPad. I just HATE the idea of one but it’s better than the alternative. I’d slam down for Apple Care but what do I do after the 2 years are up!? BAH!

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So now I’m back on the fence and 2 seconds away from purchasing a screen protector for the iPad. I just HATE the idea of one but it’s better than the alternative. I’d slam down for Apple Care but what do I do after the 2 years are up!? BAH!

If in the US, you can opt to pay $5.99-7.99/mo for AC+ until you’re ready to upgrade again.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexcue and Bea220

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
While the Apple Magic Keyboard is pretty good, I decided to try (and like very much) the Logitech Combo. If you ever used a Microsoft Surface Pro, then you know what you are getting. Protection for the back of the iPad, with a kickstand, and the magnetic keyboard snaps to the bottom (uses iPad connector, not bluetooth, so no separate keyboard charging needed). Wan't to save the weight of the keyboard while holding the iPad, remove it.

Reactions: slplss and alexcue

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I got this one and it’s just great. Just like the Apple case, except hopefully it won’t bubble within a few months like Apple’s did for me.

Doesn’t say 2021. Does it work?

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Mine just came. A little stinky, but I’m sure that won’t last. The flap looks like it won’t be much of an issue. If folded in half, it will tuck between the halves.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
While the Apple Magic Keyboard is pretty good, I decided to try (and like very much) the Logitech Combo. If you ever used a Microsoft Surface Pro, then you know what you are getting. Protection for the back of the iPad, with a kickstand, and the magnetic keyboard snaps to the bottom (uses iPad connector, not bluetooth, so no separate keyboard charging needed). Wan't to save the weight of the keyboard while holding the iPad, remove it.
Does the keyboard fold back for tablet use like the surface keyboard or do you have or remove it? Also can you use the keyboard without the back cover on?

Danae02

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2020

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Does the keyboard fold back for tablet use like the surface keyboard or do you have or remove it? Also can you use the keyboard without the back cover on?

It doesn't fold back. Though to be fair, I didn't know the Microsoft Surface Pro keyboard folded back either. At least I never tried. I would just remove the keyboard if it wasn't needed, since it's just a magnet.

And no, the back case connects to the three contact points on the iPad and the keyboard then connects to the case.

Reactions: VineRider

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
It doesn't fold back. Though to be fair, I didn't know the Microsoft Surface Pro keyboard folded back either. At least I never tried. I would just remove the keyboard if it wasn't needed, since it's just a magnet.

And no, the back case connects to the three contact points on the iPad and the keyboard then connects to the case.
Thanks for the prompt response!

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
This is the one I ordered. Looks like the folio to me. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow. The thing I did not like about Apple’s version was how it showed every smudge.

This model is very much like the Apple Smart Folio, except it has a tab to hold the pencil, which I wanted. It’s lightweight and folds completely back. I got black. It’s a little different texture than Apple’s and does not show fingerprints like the Apple model, which I returned. At one-quarter the price, I’m very pleased. Heck, I’d like it better even if it was the same price.

Reactions: Bea220 and ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
This model is very much like the Apple Smart Folio, except it has a tab to hold the pencil, which I wanted. It’s lightweight and folds completely back. I got black. It’s a little different texture than Apple’s and does not show fingerprints like the Apple model, which I returned. At one-quarter the price, I’m very pleased. Heck, I’d like it better even if it was the same price.

This is the one I have coming as well for my 11" pro. I'm anxious to get it and try it. I just want something fairly thin and light for when I'm using it on the couch. When I use it at the table I put it in a stand and use a bluetooth keyboard, so I wanted something I could flip back without having to take off.

I think now that I have the new iMac I'll be less likely to do as much typing on the iMac. If I do still type on it a lot, I'll invest in the Magic Keyboard.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
This is the one I have coming as well for my 11" pro. I'm anxious to get it and try it. I just want something fairly thin and light for when I'm using it on the couch. When I use it at the table I put it in a stand and use a bluetooth keyboard, so I wanted something I could flip back without having to take off.

I think now that I have the new iMac I'll be less likely to do as much typing on the iMac. If I do still type on it a lot, I'll invest in the Magic Keyboard.
I think you’ll be very pleased. Get the keyboard. It’s stellar, if you’ve never had one.

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2012
I really want the Zugu case but the 2021-compatible version isn’t out yet. To have some protection until I can get the Zugu, I bought an ESR case for $12.99 from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/ESR-Tabl...etic-Trifold-Shockproof-Auto-Wakeup/349286864).

it’s pretty nice for the price. It fits well, all the buttons and cutouts align nicely, and the cover folds securely with the help of magnets. The two things I‘m not crazy about are 1) it only has two positions using the cover as a stand, just like Apple’s Smart Cover, and 2) it leaves most of one side of the iPad exposed to allow attaching the Apple Pencil. That’s why I like the Zulu - 10 positions for the stand and full coverage of the iPad while still allowing the Pencil to attach and charge.

Still, if the ESR has the features you like, I think the quality is there.
I have the ESR version of the Zugu case. It’s actually pretty darn good for about half the price.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I think you’ll be very pleased. Get the keyboard. It’s stellar, if you’ve never had one.

I had it with my last pro, and it was amazing. I just don’t know if I NEED it now that I have an iMac. Of course I didn’t really NEED an iPP again, but here I am typing on one right now. ;-p

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
On the ESR magnetic case, when you fold it back, does it stick in place like on the Apple folio or does the magnetic flap get in the way?

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
On the ESR magnetic case, when you fold it back, does it stick in place like on the Apple folio or does the magnetic flap get in the way?
It doesn’t stick in the folded-back position, but if you fold the pencil tab over it, it will stick and hold the cover open, if that makes sense. In this position, you can slide your fingers between the two cover pieces for a kind of handle. The pencil tab will also simply stick to the back when you want it out of the way. There are several different options, so you’ll find one you like, I’m sure. Definitely heavier than my old 10.9, but you get used to it. The screen makes it worth it.

stabgotham

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2020
I just received the ESR Project Zero case. And......I'm returning it. It's heavier than I thought it would be. The edges are not well supported or protected. When I hold it in my hands, the corners will TOO easily slide off. For what I really wanted it for, seems like I should just go with a dbrand skin. Lightweight, but will prevent scratches to the surface.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I had it with my last pro, and it was amazing. I just don’t know if I NEED it now that I have an iMac. Of course I didn’t really NEED an iPP again, but here I am typing on one right now. ;-p
Need. Ha. Such a subjective word. Does it really mean anything?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Need. Ha. Such a subjective word. Does it really mean anything?

Lol you’re right - it really doesn’t. Of course when I had my last pro, I didn’t have an iMac, so it was really my only computing/typing device. I could say I needed a keyboard. Now I feel like I can’t justify it, but it certainly doesn’t mean I won’t get it, especially since I’ll use it when traveling.

Reactions: Bea220
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.