Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's App Store policies may be violating Japanese antitrust law, according to a new report from the Japan Fair Trade Commission (FTC) that was shared by Nikkei. Japanese regulators do not believe there is enough "competitive pressure" on Apple and Google as the two companies have a duopoly in mobile operating systems and dominate the app market.

iOS-App-Store-General-Feature-Sqaure-Complement.jpg

Japanese regulators want Apple and Google to allow users to choose third-party payment methods for apps and services, rather than forcing them to use the built-in purchase options in the App Store and Play Store. Google allows for third-party payment options for apps as of 2022, as does Apple in a very limited number of countries that have passed legislation calling for alternate payments.

The FTC suggested that app store commission rates between 15 and 30 percent could be an abuse of a dominant bargaining position. Apple in response said that a commission-based model was the best way to encourage development, while Google said that most developers are charged rates of 15 percent or less.

The two companies were also accused of manipulating search rankings to favor their own apps over competitors, which they denied.

The Japan FTC is calling for further regulation to suppress anti-competitive behavior, and said that it plans to work with the government council on digital competition on new laws. FTC head Ryota Inaba told Nikkei that the group will "respond strictly to any behavior found to violate antitrust law."

Today's report suggests that Japan could force Apple into accepting third-party payment options, something that it already does in South Korea after the country passed a law banning app store operators from forcing developers to use their billing systems. Apple has a similar allowance for dating apps in the Netherlands, allowing them to accept alternative payment methods after a dispute with the country's Authority for Consumers and Markets.

In Europe, Apple is gearing up to accommodate the Digital Markets Act, which will require it to allow apps to be downloaded on the iPhone using sideloading or alternate app stores, functionality expected as soon as iOS 17.

Article Link: App Store May Violate Japanese Antitrust Law

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
More incentives for the rumored iOS/IPadOS 17 app store changes to happen, allowing alternative trusted purchase methods. Like buy something via a dev web site and install it from the App Store. In comparison there are no issues when using MacOS via dev web site.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It’s funny how just now, countries are complaining. They were fine with it the last 15 years.

That was my thought too.

Apple violating anti-trust laws... that were recently passed.

Sounds like entrapment! Not really... but it's still funny. :p

I'm interested to see how this all shakes out. I don't buy too many things from the App Store... and most services I use I subscribe directly from their website. So these new App Store rules probably won't affect me.

But for those who need it... this will be a welcome change.

👍

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Apple (and later Google) has had the same commission since 2008 — the rate has only gotten less under certain conditions. Abuse would have been raising the rate, not lowering.

Also, how can they claim that Apple and Google favor their own apps in search results? What exactly is in it for them when the apps are free? If anything, they would prefer to point to a paid app where they would make a commission off the sale.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
If Apple can pull this off better then Android, the hats to them. Otherwise, iOS will be just like Android with different a logo. Malware infested apps, hacks and glitches.

Now would a perfect time for Apple to publish a safety guide.
Just remember that I wear my winter coat so you won't be cold. So not.

Don't want Malware infested apps, hacks and glitches, then just use the App Store and don't side load. Simple to understand for most people.

And it has worked on macOS for eons.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I'm interested to see how much Apple will restrict third party stores/sideloading in iOS 17. If they limit it by region I'm sure global regulators won't take kindly to it. It may be in their best interests to get ahead of that.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Also, how can they claim that Apple and Google favor their own apps in search results? What exactly is in it for them when the apps are free? If anything, they would prefer to point to a paid app where they would make a commission off the sale.

Pretty simple: obstacles to move to another ecosystem. Everybody knows this. If you don't, check out the emails between Eddy Cue and Craig Federighi regarding iMessage.

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
Not just them, but developers as well as even a 30% cut is still significantly less than what was being taken out by other distribution methods.

its not always about the dimes.. I cannot name one developer of any app that I purchased on the iOS AppStore. However I can name every developer of Mac software that I purchased directly from their website. With Apple's gatekeeping there are no dev/customer relationships that we have enjoyed for that past 40 years. This is just freaking weird..

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I don't have enough choice over who provides my electricity. I don't have enough choice over who provides my cellular service. I don't have enough choice over who provides my Internet service. I don't have enough choice over who provides my television broadcasts. But app stores are a much higher priority, evidently.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I mean, a lot of things can change within those 15 years, especially as technology becomes more important in everyday lives
So multiple payment mechanisms or 3rd party stores for hundreds of countries or regions within countries where app may possibly be offered. It sounds like a good reason to end 3rd party app stores and go completely 1st party again offering Apple One with on subscription for whatever you need to access.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
love to see the hammer being brought down on apple. the walls are collapsing.

don't get me wrong, i love a lot about the products but they need to be brought down a peg.
When 10s of millions of users loose everything because a bad actor who was given the right to be an App Store or manage a payment system or just hacks the right one because they didn’t protect the user data properly, they will want to run investigations as to what Apple did wrong instead of asking what they did wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.