Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I don't have enough choice over who provides my electricity. I don't have enough choice over who provides my cellular service. I don't have enough choice over who provides my Internet service. I don't have enough choice over who provides my television broadcasts. But app stores are a much higher priority, evidently.
I don't have enough choice over my government either. When are we breaking that monopoly up?

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
In the past the US took revenge against countries that went after Microsoft or Google. That is no longer the case.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Just remember that I wear my winter coat so you won't be cold. So not.

Don't want Malware infested apps, hacks and glitches, then just use the App Store and don't side load. Simple to understand for most people.

And it has worked on macOS for eons.

MacOS is not iOS. MacOS constantly needs security updates as exploits are always being found. (They’re fixed, but found)

Plus, MacOS has an option for trusted and untrusted apps.

These features will exist and vast majority will still stick with Apple’s store. I actually imagine that 99% of the entire Apple ecosystem will remain on Apple’s platform

But what happens when someone wants to have a cracked version of an app. Why even have the Apple App Store when every app can be download from a torrent site.

To be honest. If Apple actually does this, I would. Photoshop for $20. Minecraft for $7. Nah. I’ll download for free.

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2021
When 10s of millions of users loose everything because a bad actor who was given the right to be an App Store or manage a payment system or just hacks the right one because they didn’t protect the user data properly, they will want to run investigations as to what Apple did wrong instead of asking what they did wrong.

nobody is going to 'loose' anything, take your doomsday scenarios elsewhere lmao.

Reactions: gusmula

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
It’s funny how just now, countries are complaining. They were fine with it the last 15 years.

Congratulations on figuring out how case law works.

"Oh some dude fell off a ladder and now it's a safety violation if we don't handle it properly?! :rolleyes: Oh some dude gets elected four times and now we gotta add term limits?! o_O PFFFFFT! OH SO THING HAPPENS, AND NOW WE GOTTA DO THING, IN RESPONSE TO THING HAPPENING! 😂"

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
It’s funny how just now, countries are complaining. They were fine with it the last 15 years.

That's because the mobile market was notably different 15 years ago. Antitrust laws and regulations come into play when a company (or two or so) has a particularly high level of control and influence over a market and are engaging in anticompetitive behavior. In Japan, Apple/iOS currently has around 67% share of mobile OS and Google/Android has around 33% share.

Reactions: Spaceboi Scaphandre

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Speaking of Japanese antitrust laws, what about Sony's Playstation store or Nintendo's eShop?

Ah yes the classic Apple Sheep whataboutism argument of "But what about game consoles why are you only going after the phone App Stores and not the consoles?!" Game consoles are competing against each other in hardware and games, and there are a lot more competition in the video game industry than with smartphone operating systems. Not only that but game consoles are for primarily that: Games, with some media functionality on the side, versus a phone that for many has replaced traditional computers. If your game was rejected on one platform, you could just ignore it and support a different platform. Can't put your game on Playstation, see if you can publish it on Switch instead, and if not, Xbox, and if not, PC. Now try that with the Apple App and Google Play Stores.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
That's because the mobile market was notably different 15 years ago. Antitrust laws and regulations come into play when a company (or two or so) has a particularly high level of control and influence over a market and are engaging in anticompetitive behavior. In Japan, Apple/iOS currently has around 67% share of mobile OS and Google/Android has around 33% share.

In all honestly. How is that Apple's fault. If Android is not popular, then thats the consumer deciding. If an entire country using iOS, that's an issue.

North Korea has their own mobile OS. China HEAVILY regulates iOS.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Speaking of Japanese antitrust laws, what about Sony's Playstation store or Nintendo's eShop?

What about them? Is anybody using those to download apps for government services or to perform everyday transactions?

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
In all honestly. How is that Apple's fault. If Android is not popular, then thats the consumer deciding. If an entire country using iOS, that's an issue.

That argument didn't hold up with Windows when Microsoft was under litigation and it doesn't hold up for iOS OR Android today.

It's over. Sideloading is coming whether you like it or not. The good news is you can choose to leave it off

Reactions: gusmula and Naraxus

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
15 years ago, Apple's App store didn't even exist yet.

Apple and Google's App stores also weren't as vital as they are now. When the first iPhone launched, one of the most popular apps was an app that made farting sounds.

Today, apps play a bigger role in our daily lives compared to 2008. Or even 2013.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
A lot of software developers get their start from tinkering with their personal computers. As more of computing moves towards locked down environments, I worry about that segment contracting.
Many game developers gain experience by modding other games on PC.
When phones and tablets were just something you had in addition to your home PC, maybe that was fine, but they are becoming the primary and even only computing devices for a growing proportion of the population.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Pretty simple: obstacles to move to another ecosystem. Everybody knows this. If you don't, check out the emails between Eddy Cue and Craig Federighi regarding iMessage.
That’s not what this is referring to — they are saying that Apple and Google are showing preference to their own apps in search results on their platform. What constitutes “preference”? Something has to be listed first. Is it a paid spot? Is it based on popularity? Why is it popular in the first place?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
A lot of software developers get their start from tinkering with their personal computers. As more of computing moves towards locked down environments, I worry about that segment contracting.
Many game developers gain experience by modding other games on PC.
When phones and tablets were just something you had in addition to your home PC, maybe that was fine, but they are becoming the primary and even only computing devices for a growing proportion of the population.

I dunno... there are 2 million iOS developers even though it's such a closed locked-down platform.

Life finds a way.

:p

Last edited:

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I don't have enough choice over who provides my electricity. I don't have enough choice over who provides my cellular service. I don't have enough choice over who provides my Internet service. I don't have enough choice over who provides my television broadcasts. But app stores are a much higher priority, evidently.
Those examples have strong physical constraints. You can’t practically wire a city with multiple parallel electrical systems. You can only fit so many broadcasts in the limited bandwidth constrained by physics. And broadcast television is highly regulated. Look how much more variety there is in the television/video industry now that it’s been opened up through streaming. Are you arguing that it would be better if we went back to the fox/nbc/abc/cbs/pbs system for video watching?

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I dunno... there 2 million iOS developers even though it's such a closed locked-down platform.

Life finds a way.

:p
Yeah, because a lot of them grew up with desktop computers. And they still need a Mac to make those apps. It’s not an overnight change.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

I'm no expert in Japanese law but generally the "fault" comes from the alleged anticompetitve behavior, combined with a dominant market share. Having a dominant position or market share alone is usually not an issue.

Antitrust laws and regulations are typically about protecting markets where a dominant company (or companies) is viewed to be unfairly restricting or stifling competition in that market by engaging in anticompetitive behavior. It's not about one or the other but both factors together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.