Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There is an option to opt out. But you have to actually call them to do it.

This affects me because I have 10 lines. At an additional $10 per line that means I pay $100 more a month. We'll see how it shakes out though. Hopefully the public outcry will force them to change their minds.

I think though, the real target may be those customers who spent years steadily picking up free lines when offered and now pay like $20 or so a month for 10+ lines.

Reactions: KeithBN and xizdun

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Anyone who believes a commercial from a for profit company is destined to be disappointed. I qualify for their 55+ plans (just love being f’n old—so many benefits /s). I’ll have to see if I can do better than my current 1-line plan + Apple Watch.
Not really sure quite what you're meaning, except the 55+ part (I'm 53). Anyway, 16 years with Sprint taught me to protect myself. T-Mob tried to screw me on the first day I signed up. I caught it.

But, this particular topic got started on Reddit this morning when a employee posted screen shots. In the screenshots it shows that customers are given the option to opt-out.

Right now, seeing no other carrier that will take eight lines at once (down from my usual 10), or that will be less expensive than actually staying and being forced on to a new plan - I choose to simply opt out.

But I've already started looking for another carrier. It will probably happen at some point (me leaving).

Reactions: JMStearnsX2

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
So no one here would choose to opt out and stay?
I’m not a T-Mobile customer but I would opt out and then most likely look into other carriers to see what they offer. They allow you to opt out now, but who knows when/if they’ll eventually “force” everyone over to the new plans. Other carriers have their problems and things similar to this that they do, so I guess it’s good to shop around periodically.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Wow! Thank you for this info. Have been on a military one plan since 2017. Nice that I can opt-out, but I feel like I shouldn't have to. Will give them a buzz. No harm in checking out other carriers too, I guess. Not exactly clamoring to stay with the Magenta lately.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Not really sure quite what you're meaning, except the 55+ part (I'm 53). Anyway, 16 years with Sprint taught me to protect myself. T-Mob tried to screw me on the first day I signed up. I caught it.
General comment on the expressed disappointment up thread. I think I saw a commercial yesterday that said we won’t raise your rates, ever. Sure. You’re immune from inflation. Companies lie. It’s called marketing.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m not a T-Mobile customer but I would opt out and then most likely look into other carriers to see what they offer. They allow you to opt out now, but who knows when/if they’ll eventually “force” everyone over to the new plans. Other carriers have their problems and things similar to this that they do, so I guess it’s good to shop around periodically.
Yeah, I've already begun (looking).

Unfortunately for me, AT&T is really the only other option. Where I live, Verizon literally has no service. But AT&T, if only going by their website, will only take 5 lines at signup and I'd be porting over 8.

Reactions: timeconsumer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
General comment on the expressed disappointment up thread. I think I saw a commercial yesterday that said we won’t raise your rates, ever. Sure. You’re immune from inflation. Companies lie. It’s called marketing.
Oh yeah. Sprint was a big offender when it came to that.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Loop hole… they aren’t raising rates, but moving you to a different plan unless you call in and tell them don’t.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Well that's stupid. I currently have the Magenta plan with unlimited data. Basically they forcing you to pay $5 more and then you get limited to 100GB. BUt looking at my Data use history I haven't even gone over 50GB. If they force me to Go5g I'll just down Grade to Essentials and pay less then I"m paying now. This is monumentally dumb.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Anybody else smell a massive class action lawsuit?

T-Mobile today: “We won’t ever raise your rates.”

T-Mobile next week: “We thoughtfully changed your plan for you even though you didn’t ask. The new plan costs more. But we didn’t raise your rate.”

Jury: “Thanks, but we actually do own a dictionary. And we saw the ads ourselves. Now pay everybody’s lawyers an obscene amount of money and send a small gift card to all your customers who fill out an obscure online form.”

b&

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Yeah but they always get you and you usually sign a contract that says they can change the terms at any time. And if you don't like it you can go pound sand is what they'll say. But I supposed you can still bring a class action. Nothing stops you certainly.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Companies lie. It’s called marketing.
Marketing: the best legal way to spread lies.
Loop hole… they aren’t raising rates, but moving you to a different plan
My provider Telstra in here Australia also sends out a notice about plan switch. Unlike this T-Mobile transition however, Telstra’s “transition” simply charges me more for the same service I use, from $65 to $72.

Can I get a cheaper one? Yes. With the same coverage and quality? No… other providers aren’t even close.

Reactions: eyoungren

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Anyone who believes a commercial from a for profit company is destined to be disappointed. I qualify for their 55+ plans (just love being f’n old—so many benefits /s). I’ll have to see if I can do better than my current 1-line plan + Apple Watch.
I don’t think the “for-profit” criticism is valid or relevant. Imagine thinking a non-profit company is any more virtuous than a for-profit company. You might be sorely disappointed by the amount of money “non-profits” make…but it’s all “operating costs” with leaders that make bucketloads of money. But no “profit”. People are gullible.

The reality is that T-Mobile is a company that wants to perpetuate itself, and it’s run by human beings. Any organization that’s run by human beings is at risk of starting to rationalize nasty things to push people to support it.

Not every company necessarily does this, and there are degrees. It seems like T-Mobile has been doing some pretty gross thing lately, though. Like forcing people to use debit cards or bank accounts for autopay discounts (when they have a history of data breaches), and now this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirasaki

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020

But, this particular topic got started on Reddit this morning when a employee posted screen shots. In the screenshots it shows that customers are given the option to opt-out.

Right now, seeing no other carrier that will take eight lines at once (down from my usual 10), or that will be less expensive than actually staying and being forced on to a new plan - I choose to simply opt out.

But I've already started looking for another carrier. It will probably happen at some point (me leaving).
If you, or the other people with 10+ lines, don’t mind me asking, what do you use the lines for? I suppose it’s possible you’ve got a large family, but you might also be paying for your in-laws’ phones on top of that. (A family of four + two sets of two parents = 8 lines right there.) Or maybe you need two lines, one for a work phone and one for your phone. I just find it fascinating that someone would have so many lines.

But stuff like this is why I’m glad I always go with unlocked phones and prepaid plans. And it gives me a reason not to go with T-Mobile (even though they’re currently the only mmWave provider in my neighborhood).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.