Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you, or the other people with 10+ lines, don’t mind me asking, what do you use the lines for? I suppose it’s possible you’ve got a large family, but you might also be paying for your in-laws’ phones on top of that. (A family of four + two sets of two parents = 8 lines right there.) Or maybe you need two lines, one for a work phone and one for your phone. I just find it fascinating that someone would have so many lines.

But stuff like this is why I’m glad I always go with unlocked phones and prepaid plans. And it gives me a reason not to go with T-Mobile (even though they’re currently the only mmWave provider in my neighborhood).
We (the family) have Simple Choice.

Line 1: My primary line, voice, unlimited data.
Line 2: Wife's primary line, voice, unlimited data.
Line 3: My iPad, data, 5GB data match.
Line 4: Wife's iPad, data, 5GB data match.

-- Lines 3 and 4 were originally 1GB data lines for tablets when we were with Sprint. T-Mobile gave us more data for these lines because I was porting 4 lines to them in 2015.

Line 5: Son's primary (and only line), voice, unlimited data (originally a 2GB line, upgraded to a 6GB line). T-Mob converted it to unlimited data in 2022.
Line 6: SyncUp Drive, data, 6GB with Data Stash. Free line.

-- SyncUp Drive is an in-car device that plugs in to the OBD port. It gives you vehicle tracking, vehicle health status and in-car WiFi. I got it so my son didn't blow through all his data whenever he was in the car. I get 6GB of data and then there is 20GB in my Data Stash. Data Stash is any unused data per month. It gets 'stashed' and you can use that rollover data whenever you exceed the data cap. This line is free.

Line 7: Daughter's primary (and only line), voice, unlimited data (originally a 2GB line). T-Mob converted it to unlimited data in 2022.
Line 8: My secondary line, voice, unlimited data. Originally a 2GB line, converted by T-Mob to unlimited data in 2022. I wanted a secondary line because I had managed to get my old Sprint iPhone 5 unlocked and I wanted to use it.

Line 9: SyncUP Drive, data, 6GB with Data Stash. For the second car. Same original purpose.
Line 10: Wife's secondary line, voice, unlimited data. Wife wanted this line so she could use her other phone (Pixel 3a XL) as a work line. She's a teacher and doesn't want parents having access to her primary phone number.

So, that's what all our lines are used for…

Last edited:

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
FWIW, US Mobile is looking pretty attractive, compared to the T-Mo 55+ unlimited plan. It's a bit pricier than it used to be, so let's hope that's not a trend. I was happy with Tello, a small MVNO I used for my kid for a while in 2022, but I don't know what their pricing is like now. I need to check again. Details matter - if you need int'l data, texts, or calling, or if you need tethering, it can change the equation. Phones matter too - the phones t-mo is offering on the 55+ plan are an embarrassment.

The thing I want, but have not yet found, is a carrier or MVNO that will offer me a deal on an iphone WITHOUT a trade-in. Why is that so ****ing hard these days?!? Used to be pretty common. I'm willing to commit to 2-3 years. But so far I haven't found anything. Next week I expect I'll just go out and get one retail if something better doesn't turn up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chuckeee

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
Yeah, I've already begun (looking).

Unfortunately for me, AT&T is really the only other option. Where I live, Verizon literally has no service. But AT&T, if only going by their website, will only take 5 lines at signup and I'd be porting over 8.
If you call they should be able to do more.

Reactions: eyoungren

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Ugh here we go again

I switched to T-Mobile when Verizon tried to the same thing a few years ago

I switched to Verizon when AT&T tried to do same thing a few years before that
History will repeat itself, over and over. We basically never learn.

-- Lines 3 and 4 were originally 1GB data lines for tablets when we were with Sprint. T-Mobile gave us more data for these lines because I was porting 4 lines to them in 2015.

Line 5: Son's primary (and only line), voice, unlimited data (originally a 2GB line, upgraded to a 6GB line). T-Mob converted it to unlimited data in 2022.

-- SyncUp Drive is an in-car device that plugs in to the OBD port. It gives you vehicle tracking, vehicle health status and in-car WiFi. I got it so my son didn't blow through all his data whenever he was in the car. I get 6GB of data and then there is 20GB in my Data Stash. Data Stash is any unused data per month. It gets 'stashed' and you can use that rollover data whenever you exceed the data cap. This line is free.

Line 7: Daughter's primary (and only line), voice, unlimited data (originally a 2GB line). T-Mob converted it to unlimited data in 2022.
Line 8: My secondary line, voice, unlimited data. Originally a 2GB line, converted by T-Mob to unlimited data in 2022. I wanted a secondary line because I had managed to get my old Sprint iPhone 5 unlocked and I wanted to use it.

Line 9: SyncUP Drive, data, 6GB with Data Stash. For the second car. Same original purpose.
Line 10: Wife's secondary line, voice, unlimited data. Wife wanted this line so she could use her other phone (Pixel 3a XL) as a work line. She's a teacher and doesn't want parents having access to her primary phone number.

This is an impressively sophisticated and well designed setup to suit all your needs. That’s amazing.

Well, maybe I should open a third line if I have a work phone someday… currently one line for phone with 180GB of data and one line for iPad with 75GB. Unlimited domestic calls and text for my phone. Monthly payment combined now is $130.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
T-Force was able to opt me out just now on Twitter.

Attachments

• IMG_9415.jpeg
    IMG_9415.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 118

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Reactions: DCIFRTHS

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020

Oh, that makes sense. I’ve only got the one phone (well, work pays for my work phone) and have only ever had WiFi iPads, so I didn’t realize just how quickly lines of service could add up once we start talking multiple devices and especially non-phone, non-tablet devices. I’m surprised they don’t give some sort of bulk discount, especially since some of those devices probably aren’t gonna use that much data in any given month.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
FWIW, US Mobile is looking pretty attractive, compared to the T-Mo 55+ unlimited plan. It's a bit pricier than it used to be, so let's hope that's not a trend. I was happy with Tello, a small MVNO I used for my kid for a while in 2022, but I don't know what their pricing is like now. I need to check again. Details matter - if you need int'l data, texts, or calling, or if you need tethering, it can change the equation. Phones matter too - the phones t-mo is offering on the 55+ plan are an embarrassment.

The thing I want, but have not yet found, is a carrier or MVNO that will offer me a deal on an iphone WITHOUT a trade-in. Why is that so ****ing hard these days?!? Used to be pretty common. I'm willing to commit to 2-3 years. But so far I haven't found anything. Next week I expect I'll just go out and get one retail if something better doesn't turn up.
Last time I checked wasn't 55 Plus plan 70 or 60 a month for two lines inc taxes? LOL I checked their website its over 100 now LOLOLOL

Last edited by a moderator:

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
I love paying $0/month through the Affordable Connectivity Program (or ACP, i.e. pretty much the only government program for which I’ve qualified). Not that my Metro bill was very high before—I’m technically on the $25/month unlimited bring-your-own-device plan.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I love paying $0/month through the Affordable Connectivity Program (or ACP, i.e. pretty much the only government program for which I’ve qualified). Not that my Metro bill was very high before—I’m technically on the $25/month unlimited bring-your-own-device plan.
Hopefully ACP survives government funding silliness and possible another shutdown on the horizon.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I qualify for their 55+ plans (just love being f’n old—so many benefits /s). I’ll have to see if I can do better than my current 1-line plan

With an AARP discount 1 line unlimited talk, text, data is $47.50. They use AT&T and T-Mobile networks.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I'm going to reach out to them in a few. Even if they say to ignore the texts for the change.. don't!! Re-confirm after receiving the txt and save the conversation!!

***** ridiculous!!

Nope but they did say I can ignore the text messages I’ll get about this

Reactions: Viridian5

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Oh, that makes sense. I’ve only got the one phone (well, work pays for my work phone) and have only ever had WiFi iPads, so I didn’t realize just how quickly lines of service could add up once we start talking multiple devices and especially non-phone, non-tablet devices. I’m surprised they don’t give some sort of bulk discount, especially since some of those devices probably aren’t gonna use that much data in any given month.
My lines were added slowly over time. I started with four, the first two were added a year later, two more in 2017, two again after that and the final line in 2021. My plan itself was grandfathered by late 2017, so any deal or discount I might have gotten for the amount of lines I had was long gone. The only option available to me would have been (would be) an upgrade to a new plan.

By the time Magenta Max came around there was also confusion as to whether free lines (I have one) would transfer as free. So, I stayed where I was. Now here we are.

I'll be calling if I get this text thing about being migrated.

My bill is currently $~354. About $33 of that is EIP (monthly phone payment) and insurance for that specific phone. My intent had been to drop the insurance when the phone was paid off in about six months. But this is why an extra $10 per line is bad for me.

At it's most expensive, not even my cable bill exceeded $350.

• Wow
Reactions: Fred Zed

bk125

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
New York
This is additionally burdensome because T-mobile representatives seem to have been trained that it’s polite to use about 5 to 10 times more words than necessary to express even the simplest ideas, so the calls take forever.

“I do thank you sir for using your t-mobile telephone to place a phone call to t-mobile customer support, all of us do so appreciate your decision to become and remain a customer with t-mobile and we are very much looking forward to listening and then responding to your reason for placing this phone call to call us for us to help you with an issue with your t-mobile service, now could I please ask you sir for the reason you are calling us at t-mobile today?”

Marko3563

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2022
My parents and I went to TMobile and our plan was to be put on the essentials plan. 3 lines for $90+ tax. They told us it would be a flat $120 a month for Go5GPlus verses paying more in fees a month for the essentials plan. I asked several times and was promised. Needless to say, we went from $160, down to $150 a month. I dislike how dishonest they have been so far and I don't understand why they feel the need to screw people over when we have options, plus pre-paid has come a long way.

Even when I was preordering the iphone 15 pro max, they lied about my monthly payment on the phone. LIke honestly I can go back to XFinity mobile or go to AT&T.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I am not a TMob mobile cell customer.

Don't most of the companies do this? Old plans age out and they get by new higher priced plans.

How long have these "legacy" tmob plans been around? I would defiantly be sore if the plans were only a few years old then retired.

I have a feeling once the 5g home competition settles down and the coverage is widespread our $50/month plan will be sunset to a "new and improved higher" price plan

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Not surprised. They broke contract with my brother because where he lives he was always roaming on ATT's tower which is basically in his back yard. They're shady as shady comes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.