Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMStearnsX2

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2020
Not really sure quite what you're meaning, except the 55+ part (I'm 53). Anyway, 16 years with Sprint taught me to protect myself. T-Mob tried to screw me on the first day I signed up. I caught it.

But, this particular topic got started on Reddit this morning when a employee posted screen shots. In the screenshots it shows that customers are given the option to opt-out.

Right now, seeing no other carrier that will take eight lines at once (down from my usual 10), or that will be less expensive than actually staying and being forced on to a new plan - I choose to simply opt out.

But I've already started looking for another carrier. It will probably happen at some point (me leaving).
You might look at US Mobile, we are paying $34/month for 3 lines.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am on the phone right now asking them to add the opt out to my account.

Edited to add: The rep said the system wouldn't let him do it early. He asked if I had gotten a phone text. I said no but, many people have called already to have it added to their account.
Yeah, they wouldn't let me add it until the 17th either. I'm guessing some people managed to slip through. Rep is saying she will add it on the 17th and will message me. We'll see what happens.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Definitely use the app chat to get the opt out.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.png
    IMG_0033.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: KaliYoni

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Currently on the phone with CS...

"These changes only affect 2G phones so you wont be affected..."

I politely said "Not according to the info I have in front of me. Go back and try again"

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
My lines were added slowly over time. I started with four, the first two were added a year later, two more in 2017, two again after that and the final line in 2021. My plan itself was grandfathered by late 2017, so any deal or discount I might have gotten for the amount of lines I had was long gone. The only option available to me would have been (would be) an upgrade to a new plan.

By the time Magenta Max came around there was also confusion as to whether free lines (I have one) would transfer as free. So, I stayed where I was. Now here we are.

I'll be calling if I get this text thing about being migrated.

My bill is currently $~354. About $33 of that is EIP (monthly phone payment) and insurance for that specific phone. My intent had been to drop the insurance when the phone was paid off in about six months. But this is why an extra $10 per line is bad for me.

At it's most expensive, not even my cable bill exceeded $350.
My bill is less than $170 for 7 lines. Military discount.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Use the app chat. They seem to know about it whereas phone doesn’t.
Confirming this. Phone CS didn't have a clue what I was talking about but the CS using the T-Mobile app's built in chat feature seems to know more about this.

Edit: While I'm waiting for CS to do this via the chat app, I will say that I hope T-Mobile gets **** for this move. This is purely a profit driven move that has zero benefit to customers. They've been riding the "UnCarrier" horse for so long that I really thought they were going to be different than Verizon or AT&T but in the end, they are just another greedy company who gives ZERO F's about their customers. *looks at all of their data breaches*

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Use the app chat. They seem to know about it whereas phone doesn’t.
Well it would seem you had the luck of the draw. In-app rep says SOC code is unavailable.

Looks like I'll just be checking up on these guys on the 17th.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Well apparently my account has been updated to reflect that I have opted out of the migration. I have a "Personal Guarantee" from the CSR that the change has been made but it might take a while for to update online.

I asked him for a copy of the chat just incase lol

Reactions: Apple_Robert

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My bill is less than $170 for 7 lines. Military discount.
There are quite a few people who have less expensive bills than I do. Either Insider Code, different plans, free lines, etc. Still, my plan is cheaper than the basic offering. And I have stuff newer plans do not like Data Stash, BingeOn, Music Freedom, etc.

Part of my problem is that unlike a lot of others who collected free lines over time, I was unwilling to lose long held phone numbers by replacing old lines with free lines.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Confirming this. Phone CS didn't have a clue what I was talking about but the CS using the T-Mobile app's built in chat feature seems to know more about this.

Edit: While I'm waiting for CS to do this via the chat app, I will say that I hope T-Mobile gets **** for this move. This is purely a profit driven move that has zero benefit to customers. They've been riding the "UnCarrier" horse for so long that I really thought they were going to be different than Verizon or AT&T but in the end, they are just another greedy company who gives ZERO F's about their customers. *looks at all of their data breaches*
I agree. I think T-Mobile should suffer the wrath. I am not against a company making as much as they can but, this isn't the right way to go about it. It is sleezy.

Reactions: MBAir2010

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Just finished the call with T-Mobile and was told by the customer representative that it was documented in my account that I Do NOT want to change my plan, and that I would not be affected October 17th.
2 Phone lines Unlimited - 2 Apple Watches Unlimited - 1 iPad Unlimited $92/month

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Don't most of the companies do this? Old plans age out and they get by new higher priced plans.

How long have these "legacy" tmob plans been around? I would defiantly be sore if the plans were only a few years old then retired.

I have a feeling once the 5g home competition settles down and the coverage is widespread our $50/month plan will be sunset to a "new and improved higher" price plan
Many just raise rates—there are many still on some of the early smartphone plans that AT&T offered 10+ years ago. Generally, the industry has grandfathered people in and kept them at the old rates, but offered newer plans that seem better in some ways, but might be more expensive (I used to play this game with the various bucketed AT&T plans of the past...do I keep Mobile Share or move to Mobile Share Value?) In the last few years, AT&T and Verizon have been adding extra fees or just outright increasing prices to encourage people to move off of old plans. T-Mobile stated that plans wouldn't be changed, so this is a legal (but gross) workaround. As for age, the plans in question launched on these dates:
  • Magenta (2019) - still available
  • One (2017)
  • Magenta 55+ (2019)
  • Simple Choice / Select Choice (2013)
  • Simple Choice Business (2013)
Not surprised. They broke contract with my brother because where he lives he was always roaming on ATT's tower which is basically in his back yard. They're shady as shady comes.
While frustrating, just about any carrier will do this for excessive roaming—it's just way less common for any to offer domestic roaming these days. There are a handful of folks that have taken AT&T prepaid lines to perma-roam in Canada (way more than the 50% rule), due to being cheaper than Canadian carriers and some have gotten cut off, while others have been able to skate by for now.

If they're going to force my wife and I to switch to a different plan, I might as well beat them to the punch and pay less per month with Essentials.
One thing to keep in mind, Essentials charges taxes & fees separately and is lower-priority than even T-Mobile's in-house prepaid service. It may be worth moving to Magenta (sometimes ends up being only a few dollars more once you factor in taxes & fees), and if the lower-priority is sufficient where you live, Metro or an MVNO to save a lot more.

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
There are quite a few people who have less expensive bills than I do. Either Insider Code, different plans, free lines, etc. Still, my plan is cheaper than the basic offering. And I have stuff newer plans do not like Data Stash, BingeOn, Music Freedom, etc.

Part of my problem is that unlike a lot of others who collected free lines over time, I was unwilling to lose long held phone numbers by replacing old lines with free lines.
I didn’t have to change phone numbers. It is simply a military plan. I agree though, I would not want to change phone numbers.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I didn’t have to change phone numbers. It is simply a military plan. I agree though, I would not want to change phone numbers.
My dad was military (US Marine Corps, 1st Marine Division) and served during the Korean War. He got out right before Vietnam and used the GI Bill to become an electrical engineer in aerospace.

But I don't qualify because I never served.

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023

I just called. The rep knew about it, but only because I was like the 5th person to call him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.