Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
While frustrating, just about any carrier will do this for excessive roaming—it's just way less common for any to offer domestic roaming these days. There are a handful of folks that have taken AT&T prepaid lines to perma-roam in Canada (way more than the 50% rule), due to being cheaper than Canadian carriers and some have gotten cut off, while others have been able to skate by for now.
Except TMobile used to have an agreement with ATT to use their towers. They just didn't like him using ATT's more than theirs, even though there wasn't anything he could do about it. The last probably being why they broke it equitably and didn't make a stink over but still. They just said meh, bye.

Reactions: ecschwarz

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Except TMobile used to have an agreement with ATT to use their towers. They just didn't like him using ATT's more than theirs, even though there wasn't anything he could do about it. The last probably being why they broke it equitably and didn't make a stink over but still. They just said meh, bye.
Yep, T-Mobile has obfuscated their roaming terms, but basically there are some partners that you can roam on without limits (typically US Cellular or Viaero), and others that are intended to be "fill in" for fringe areas. AT&T roaming is the latter and isn't nationwide. If you're in an area where T-Mobile thinks you should have service, you'll go to No Service and never jump on AT&T. Other places where T-Mobile knows they are lacking coverage, you can roam on AT&T—I experienced this with my spare T-Mobile line in Michigan's Upper Peninsula recently.

There isn't a great way to handle it—does a carrier verify coverage at a potential customer's home/work address before selling service? Still, those places may be mostly Wi-Fi, so it won't matter (that was the case at my dad's old place - he was always on Wi-Fi calling). Without knowing the full story, I'm guessing they might have sent warnings before ending things, but they could've simply cut off roaming on that line or found a way to handle it much more pleasantly. Similarly, I have a family member that travels up to Alaska a lot and avoided them for that particular reason—didn't want to risk being on GCI (the third carrier up there besides AT&T and Verizon) too much.

Then again, with T-Mobile trying to build out their network more and more and more regional carriers disappearing (US Cellular wants to sell, Verizon has been gobbling up LTEiRA partners), we may see fewer and fewer roaming agreements in general. Plus, while it is extra income for AT&T, it may be worth ending the agreement so they're not propping up a bigger (in terms of customers) competitor.

Reactions: zapmymac and OneBar

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Yep, T-Mobile has obfuscated their roaming terms, but basically there are some partners that you can roam on without limits (typically US Cellular or Viaero), and others that are intended to be "fill in" for fringe areas. AT&T roaming is the latter and isn't nationwide. If you're in an area where T-Mobile thinks you should have service, you'll go to No Service and never jump on AT&T. Other places where T-Mobile knows they are lacking coverage, you can roam on AT&T—I experienced this with my spare T-Mobile line in Michigan's Upper Peninsula recently.

There isn't a great way to handle it—does a carrier verify coverage at a potential customer's home/work address before selling service? Still, those places may be mostly Wi-Fi, so it won't matter (that was the case at my dad's old place - he was always on Wi-Fi calling). Without knowing the full story, I'm guessing they might have sent warnings before ending things, but they could've simply cut off roaming on that line or found a way to handle it much more pleasantly. Similarly, I have a family member that travels up to Alaska a lot and avoided them for that particular reason—didn't want to risk being on GCI (the third carrier up there besides AT&T and Verizon) too much.

Then again, with T-Mobile trying to build out their network more and more and more regional carriers disappearing (US Cellular wants to sell, Verizon has been gobbling up LTEiRA partners), we may see fewer and fewer roaming agreements in general. Plus, while it is extra income for AT&T, it may be worth ending the agreement so they're not propping up a bigger (in terms of customers) competitor.
That was the shady part, they didn't even call. They just informed him on his bill that service was thereby terminated and he had a few days to find a new carrier before they turned the line off.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
That was the shady part, they didn't even call. They just informed him on his bill that service was thereby terminated and he had a few days to find a new carrier before they turned the line off.
Yeah that sucks—sorry to hear that!

Reactions: OneBar

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I’m on an excellent 2 phone plan w/Apple Watch addition. Been there for about 15 years now. Actual authentic unlimited data & about 5 GB tetherable.

I will be opting-out and staying with TMobile for as long as possible. But, I’ll start window-shopping Att/Vzw/Mint/Ting(Dish🤑)

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
I’m not even entirely sure what the difference is between my one plan and the new plan. I just always liked that my plan had high def video streaming And other plans seemed to not.
Think of their process as 2-steps: move you soon, but they don’t change anything (or very little) …no big deal, but now that you have left that old grandfathered plan, they can now with wild abandonment move you again (without consent).

For example, my plan says for as long as I’m a T-Mobile customer my unlimited plan will stay at $100…

Reactions: Timpetus

michaelscarn

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
Looks like Essentials will remain the same... for now. 😕

I may not be affected by this change, but I don't like how they went about this. This doesn't seem like the same un-carrier I signed up with just over a year ago. Very sneaky. Thankfully the 15 is a dud so we won't have to worry about device payment plans for awhile. Probably time to just buy in cash and move carriers as needed anyway.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
This is crap they are doing this. This is a heads up for anyone who has T-Mobile.

With cost of living increases due to inflation and demands for wage increase demand by employees to cover their higher cost of living, this trend is expected on many companies to survive and grow. It is hurting all their customers but to survive and grow companies are forced to do this. I feel bad for all affected customers, but this is the current economic condition we are living in. Please hang in there and do the best to manage unfavorable situation.

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
T-Mobile did me dirty once back in 2008 over a $175.00 "early term fee" I escalated my issue and could not get resolved and had to pay the $175. I told the CS manager back in 08 that Id never do business with T-Mobil again if they refused to credit this situation and they stood their ground and I stood mine and havent ever considered them a viable business entity since.

Reactions: Devyn89

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
With cost of living increases due to inflation and demands for wage increase demand by employees to cover their higher cost of living, this trend is expected on many companies to survive and grow. It is hurting all their customers but to survive and grow companies are forced to do this. I feel bad for all affected customers, but this is the current economic condition we are living in. Please hang in there and do the best to manage unfavorable situation.
I bet none of this money makes it to the people who need it. My company just raised prices too doesnt man we will get anything

blinker

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Reactions: Chuckeee

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'll be opting out for our ONE plan with 4 lines. Glad my wife and I bought our new iPhones outright so we can leave whenever we want if T-Mobile forces our hand.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
“We are not raising the price of any of our plans; we are moving you to a newer plan with more benefits at a different cost.”

Wow. Sounds like a mess for their customer service who will no doubt feel the customer’s wrath for this one.
Yeah at a $15 increase. I got moved to it and they lied to me about it increasing.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I bet none of this money makes it to the people who need it. My company just raised prices too doesnt man we will get anything
Bingo. 1000% this.

Based on this, T-Mobile is NOT hurting for money...
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 9.24.52 AM.png

Another example...the company I work for makes anywhere from $30 to $60 BILLION every year. I haven't gotten a substantial cost of living raise in 3 years (less than .0001%) because they have the gall to cry poverty and say they didn't hit their financial targets. Meanwhile, their investors are buying multiple yachts and the CEO is swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck.

What T-Mobile is doing is purely out of greed. Plain and simple. #capitalism

LetsGoMe

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2023
i'm still rocking sprints $15/month unlimited kickstarter plan from 2018-june ... now in tmobile's control, but they're still honoring it

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I'm on an older corporate discount plan, Amplified 2.0, and wasn't on the list of plans they'd force. I surely hope that's the case. My plan also managed to be exempt from the auto-pay changes they made a few months ago. I still get the discount but still have my credit card on file, not a checking acct or debit card.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012

You’re telling me I should empathize with a multi-billion dollar corporation? Lmao that’s whack. This is straight up a garbage way to treat customers and if I was with t-mobile I’d cancel in a second and go to a better carrier.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
You’re telling me I should empathize with a multi-billion dollar corporation? Lmao that’s whack. This is straight up a garbage way to treat customers and if I was with t-mobile I’d cancel in a second and go to a better carrier.
Which one, though? I've had AT&T before and they're straight up worse all around - costs more, worse support, poor coverage, and they kept increasing prices on my grandfathered unlimited plan until it achieved what they wanted: my departure.

Reactions: tmaxxtigger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.